Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

You know, the more I look at the statue, the more I am starting to waver on the new troll. I had no interest initally for two reasons: first, there are a dozen main and secondary characters I would prefer to see made over a nameless troll; second, this troll comes from the Hobbit movies and a battle that was way too over the top with invented stuff.

However, I have always wanted a troll in my collection, if only to have a single representative of that Tolkien race. The cave troll and the three stone trolls are more relevant story-wise, but those statues are forbiddingly expensive, so no hope there. As for the three mini trolls, they fail to convey the awesomeness and destructive power of these beings. In a perfect world, Weta would have released an armoured war troll from LOTR, like the ones that attack Minas Tirith and Aragorn battles at the Black Gates. Sadly, they did not, and probably will never do so.

This BOTFA troll is probably the closest I will ever get to owning one of these beasts. I can always pretend it is a troll from the War of the Ring anyway; I just wish it was carrying a weapon instead of those too-fantastical arm blades. Since it is likely to be a small edition size, I'm not sure I can afford to wait on the off -chance Weta might make another troll down the road, and even if they do, it could be one that I will have even more problems with, like the stumpy troll everyone seems to love and I thought was completely ridiculous. PJ must've been in one of his 'giggling uncontrollably at stupid ideas' day when he came up with that one. :rolleye:

Thoughts? Not looking forward to the price on the piece, and that alone might steer me away. Space being what it is, I would love to save for something like Beorn or Gwaihir. Wait, no such statues? Oh well, one can dream.
This Space for Rent

I get where you are coming from in regard to owing a troll. I have the stone trolls and would never part with them, but I did sell my cave troll when I was downsizing my statue collection.

Therefore, I too was not initially interested in this new troll. But it is HUGE and I love the idea of the removable helm. The detail is stunning. When I look at my Smaug bust and think how the troll is a good couple of inches taller - it is astoundingly tall and will be room commanding.

So, I too haven't ruled it out but it would have to be a small ES for me to purchase. Anything more than 500 and I'm out. If it is less than 500' I'll possibly cave.

Thanks, Idril, it's gratifying to be able to share my musings with a kindred soul that understands.

Pity we did not cross paths when you were selling that cave troll.

So, why are you out if the edition size is more than 500? All I can see in terms of impact from that is how fast it will sell out, and how much the aftermarket price will balloon as a result.
This Space for Rent

Hmmm, when I say I'm out, I probably really mean I won't feel compelled to order it on pre-order. I can therefore make my mind up later on. :lol:

But if it is a low ES, I think it will become an instant Grail. If I haven't decided whether to get it or not, at least with a low ES, I'd be able to resell it (if I decided I didn't want it after all) and not lose any money on it (especially since the shipping on a piece this size won't be insignificant).

Makes perfect sense. I think once the seed is planted in our minds that we might just get a certain item, it becomes nearly impossible to wholly exorcise that thought.

A low ES on this troll is definitely going to make a lot of people's trigger fingers itch like crazy. xP

Idril, I wanted to ask you, as I don't see anyone really commenting on this at FoU: there were comments made that there would be two 1:6 Ringwraiths revealed to go with the Dol Guldur theme, yet only the Witchking showed up. Is another one forthcoming or was it just speculation? It was obviously not at SDCC, so maybe NYCC? Also, don't you think the scene is somewhat incomplete without a Gandalf statue to go with it? I can see why Weta might be reluctant to release yet another Gandalf statue, but none of the current ones would fit in thematically with the Dol Guldur statues released so far. Just seems like a weird omission.

I know you don't have concrete answers to these questions, but I'm interested in hearing your (and anyone else's) thoughts on this.
This Space for Rent

Definately another 1/6 Ringwraith from Dol Guldur to come. Even the witchking didn't make it. Those pics you see are from the Weta cave in NZ. I'm guessing the other is the one on the ground and right in the 1:30 scale. :coolsmile

I agree on the missing Gandalf. It is an omission. I guess you could put the Hobbit GtG without hat near them. I really don't think they will make a collapsed Gandalf though which they would need to complete the scene.

Btw - no Weta at NYCC. I think they are going to some gaming cons to promote their new tabletop game - killer robots or something.

Idril wrote:....Btw - no Weta at NYCC. I think they are going to some gaming cons to promote their new tabletop game - killer robots or something.
That is too, too funny, Idril.
I can just hear the total lack of interest in your answer about the "killer robots or something." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Thanks for the info tidbits, Idril. Didn't realize the Witchking was not at the Con, which explains why there is such a lack of pictures of him.

If Weta are not going to be at NYCC, that does not bode well for Eomer showing up any time soon. Where is their next appearance? Calgary or something? I just don't see them revealing such a big and anticipated statue via just the website.
This Space for Rent

Aw man, that sucks! I will be missing it by a couple of weeks after being in Portland myself. Oh well.

But yes, highly doubtful they will have anything new to show so soon after San Diego. :huh:

Speaking of art prints, I'm super irritated with Weta right now. I was planning to get the LE Sauron art print but didn't rush on it because it came out fairly recently and I thought I would have time. However, when Weta switched over to its new website a couple of weeks ago, the Sauron print went from in stock to suddenly sold out with zero warning. Normally they will issue a low stock alert so people have a chance to buy something, but not this time. :cursing_r
This Space for Rent

The horse's pose will pretty much dictate the 'moment' they are trying to capture, which will in turn dictate what expression Eomer will have on his face. Weta seems to be 100% given over to making all of their statues dynamic now and meant to be part of a frozen scene moment within the movies. Not that many of the SSW statues didn't emulate that as well, like Galadriel and Saruman, but I really miss the less flashy poses.
This Space for Rent

Ah yes, thanks Idril! I had poked around his site before but for some reason I only saw the Sauron print with him reaching toward you (Isildur in the movie) and not the one that Weta was selling.

I'll regret not getting the extra couple of Weta dollars for it, but I hope the fact it sold out without an alert is not a new trend with that awful new website of theirs. :angry:
This Space for Rent

My Dain statue finally arrived. I never did find out why it took two months to get here after getting a shipping notice. After a few dozen emails back and forth with Anthony, it seems he could not get anyone in their US distribution center to respond. All he could do was keep apologizing and blamed it on the new website switchover.

Anyway, the statue looks good. The paint job on the face could have used some more more attention, as others have noted, but the rest of the paint job is top notch. Odd that they went with the original helm prop design with the scale armor neck guard and the dark steel colors, rather than what was seen on the movie.
KRDS

Good to know Dain finally found his way home, and also that he is not damaged, as you also seem to have poor luck with your orders. It would just suck if he had taken two months only to then arrive broken. :O

What do you think of the upcoming statues, Kit?

I just can't get past my dislike of the new Boromir's face. It just doesn't look like Sean Bean to me, and the hair is too short. A rarely dropped ball by Weta these days, IMHO.
This Space for Rent

So the first minis and enviro piece for the new 1:30 scale diorama line have been put up for pre-order. The scene is the Dol Guldur battle, and the pricing of this line is causing quite the stir. I have to agree with those that think that it is way too overpriced at $50 for a 4cm (that's less than two inches) tall sculpture, and $100 for a small chunk of polystone environment. I know the idea is to buy only the pieces that you want, but I don't see anyone that gets into this not wanting to complete the scene or collect all the characters. Unfortunately, the total will weigh in at $1000+ just to complete it and that's kind of insane when you stop to think about what you are buying. Maybe it's just me but I see far more value in using that money to buy 3-4 1:6 scale statues, or even nothing at all. I think Weta badly misjudged the price on this line, but it boots nothing to complain, just count me out.

Looks like the mini-helms are back, with the Orc Lieutenant skull one being first, followed by Dain's and what looks to be one of the Nazgul ones from the Dol Guldur scene. I am intrigued by it and the price is not awful for what you get, but I feel that unless you were already collecting this line from years ago, all the best helms have already been made. The LoTR line is pretty much complete, so all we will see is likely a bunch of Hobbit trilogy helms, which I can quite frankly pass on. Also, I don't much see a point in buying a helm twice, or in some cases, three times. Take Dain, for example: UC is releasing the 1:1 version, which I plan to get, and I already have the 1:6 Dain statue with helm, so do I really need the 1:4 version? Unlikely.

Having said that, collecting all nine Nazgul helms might tempt me because they are cool designs and I think it is unlikely Weta will release all of them in 1:6 statue format, though at least two are confirmed, with one or more rumoured only.

What do you guys think? Anyone going for these lines?
This Space for Rent

I already ordered Skully as I do have a fair amount of the helm line - not all though. Supposedly the new line is supposed to be made of a metal infused poly to give them more weight compared to the previously release Urak-hai helm.

As for the 1:30 line, I'm not even interested and the price probably has to do with the Hobbit licence being more expensive than LOTR. I now currently have 3 items on pre-order with them (Eowyn, HEW, and Skully) and will continue the Hobbit hole line, but I can't think of anything else I really want. I know Grond is coming, but I'm sure the price will scare me away along with space just like Minas Tirith.

I wasnt interested in the Scully helm but I am in the Dain helm and the Witchking at Dol Guldur helm. Now with the competition to win #1 general helm (which I don't own) if you buy all three, I will probably get the Scully helm too. It is amazing but I don't collect the Orc helms.

The price on the 1:30 is not unexpected by me - I'm not saying I wish it wasn't cheaper because that would have been wonderful. I guess since it is around the same size as Eaglemoss there was an expectation the pricing would be similar. I have seen the hobbit Eaglemoss figures and some of them are laughable. I wouldn't have them in the house. I think there is an expectation on weta re design accuracy and quality that Eaglemoss (for example) don't carry. I have ordered them and expect to continue but I don't really collect the 1/6 statues - just a few select ones. So this is a nice way for me to have an environment with some of the characters too. I guess it is what you prefer to spend your money on. I love environments and 1:1 stuff.

I am worried if they make helms deep though. I would love a line of elves across the battlement but my credit card wouldn't.

Received my Eowyn #194/750 today and she does not disappoint! Weta's statues continue to impress me with paint, detail and quality. The color to me looks more like a light grey clay color and I can see how some may think it looks green, all depends on the lighting. Here are a couple of pics and one with a comparison with the other ladies in white (or off white)
More photos on my gallery page:
https://www.flameofudun.net/forum/commu ... eon/page16

Very nice pics, N2. :) feel SO much better after seeing the most recent "in hand" photos of this statue. From what I can see now it's absolutely wonderful. I can hardly wait to receive mine on Wednesday. :cheering:

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Are you being facetious? The Arwen statue is almost universally reviled as having one of the poorest likenesses out of the original line. Personally, I don't find it that bad, but like everything else, it's a matter of taste.

Come to think of it, while the original Galadriel is not one of the best ones either, she looks just plain awful in that photo. Both her and Eowyn have way too much reddish-pink shadow around their eyes, making them look as if they were either crying or partying too hard the night before.

The Eowyn statue has grown on me but I still think she looks way too old and worn out.
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote:Galadriel is up for order. Delivery next March
Saw that. I want her because the likeness is amazing and the pose is awesome, but the fact that I already own the SSW Galadriel is like a little voice whispering in my ear to not buy characters more than once. My space constraints and yet another expense are not helping this decision either but I fear I might cave at some point. :embarasse

Before someone suggests it, no, I am not going to sell my current Galadriel to shut that little voice up, which is also the same voice trying to stop me from buying the new Elrond and Saruman. :huh:

(Well-known fact: I have Strider, King Elessar, and Aragorn at the Black Gates, as well as two colours of Gandalf, but I think those are understandable exceptions.) :D

I do plan to get the third helm, the Witchking one. Entering to win the Uruk-hai helm would be neat as I think the odds are pretty good considering you have to buy all three current helms to be eligible, and not many will do that. However, I have zero interest in the Skull helm and am very on the fence about Dain's since I own the statue already. Just over a week to decide.
This Space for Rent

I won't lie and say that I'm not tempted, but I am having a very hard time getting past that pose. It's just so overdone. I know it's meant to pair off against the action poses of the opposing White Council statues, but it could have been a little less over the top. Even Elrond is not as bad (which I did just pick up, by the way - got him in an auction for $100 less than retail, so it was too good a deal to pass up.)

Yeah... I just don't know about this DG Witchking. Weta seems to be hinting they will release all nine Nazgul in this series, and that would look insanely cool, not to mention absurdly expensive, but also a huge space gobbler, and I fear they are all going to look like escapees from a circus acrobat troupe. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

At least I find his pose organic, if that makes sense.

Let's see if I can explain myself here: my first preference is for static, classical poses, like 90% of the old SSW statues. However, if going with an action pose, I prefer something that not only captures a natural movement, but also feels plausible and realistic. The new Elrond's pose is flashy and overdone, yes, but you can see how he would find himself in that exact body position during a battle, like a snapshot.

Now, while the same could theoretically be said for the Witch-king, the action moment of his pose is made ten times worse by his leap. Directors of action sequences these days seem enamoured with ridiculous acrobatics and improbable aerial maneuvers, made possible by either CGI or hooking actors up to wire harnesses. This was ok in those semi-fantasy Chinese movies of ten years ago, or for stuff like the Matrix, but it looks utterly ridiculous in the context of Middle-earth. Legolas and the other elves took this silliness to a whole other level in the Hobbit movies, and the Dol Guldur battle scene was an utter waste of a glorious opportunity to show the White Council in a classical battle against the Nine. Instead we got Neo versus the endless wave of Agent Smiths (kinda funny that Hugo Weaving was there both times though.)

Anyway, sorry for the long dissertation about nothing. I find Elrond's pose tolerable; the Witch-king's is stupid and exemplifies what action movies have become these days: full of ridiculous, impractical, and downright silly fight moves, all for the sake of cool.
This Space for Rent

I agree Val. I too don't like the action poses. Elrond is too much for me.

I actually do like this Witchking though. The finish of the sculpt is amazing. The difference between the armour and the fabric. Just beautifully done. And I can tell myself the pose is acceptable given he is a wraith and not subject to the laws of gravity.

At 43cm tall - I think he would look amazing at the back of a display, looking like he is jumping down on someone.

I haven't decided whether to buy or not - just saying.....

I received the High Elven Warrior statue #089/750 today and I really like all the use of magnets to assemble this statue. Only 2 minor concerns with the paint - 1 being a green streak on his chin and 2 being the slightly darker tone overall ( also wish it had the gold highlights on the amour like the bust) , but an amazing piece overall and really glad to have it in my collection.

Looks great, N2. I agree with the colour issue. The one on the website seems much brighter, but then Weta is becoming notorious for having preview pieces differ a fair bit from the production ones. At least they include that in their disclaimer. The blue shade on the inside and folds of the cloak is more like what I would expect the overall colour to be. It almost looks purplish in your photos. I cannot detect the green paint though so maybe that's a good thing?

My card has been charged and the order says processing. Have I received a single notification from Weta yet? Nope. I gotta say, their new website and order processing updates are the worst ever now. They really should get their money back from whomever they paid for for this 'upgrade', and I use the term rather loosely. The old site and notifications were impeccable.
This Space for Rent

The notifications are pretty bad, I got more info from UPS than from Weta. I got my delivery confirmation and then 4 hours later "your item has shipped" from Weta. It's better than nothing at all, but hard to plan when it's so late. I now no longer have anything else on order, but will probably order the last of the Hobbit holes I need someday.

Looks good, N2....so, ummm, where are you going to put it?
You going to move something out or just shoe-horn this one into one of the display cases? :laugh:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Nice pix N2. While I'm not a fan of the swirly robes in that sculpt, it still looks really good, especially next to your whole collection.

Odd that they made all the cloth parts basically the same blueish shade. The cloth colors on the High Elven bust are more correct. As I recall, only the inside of the cape and the lower skirting were blue on the actual costumes.
KRDS

Anyone that pre-ordered the High Elven Warrior statue not received theirs yet?

I'm super irritated with Weta at the moment. My card was charged the full amount of the statue over two weeks ago, yet there has been no shipping notice to date, and the status on their worthless website merely says 'processing.'

I've contacted Anthony at customer support for an update to no avail. They're becoming pretty terrible at keeping their customers up to date with the status of our orders, and the whole system seems to have taken several steps backward in terms of efficiency since the previous version. That new site has been up long enough for them to have worked out all these bugs, not to mention that it shouldn't be this difficult to keep their order and shipping notifications up to date. All I know is that their prices keep increasing and service keeps declining. :angry:
This Space for Rent

Return to “Weta Workshop”