Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

Buckeye wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:54 am ...It looks really good. I may need a second Aragorn in my collection. I'm going to wait, though, to see what else Weta reveals later this year. If this summer/fall are anything like last year, I'll need to dig deep into my wallet.
Buckeye, which Aragorn statue do you have?
No need to post a pic (I know how the image limitations of this forum annoy you) ...just provide a link to a stock photo or ebay listing (if there is one).
There are some many Aragorns out there... But I did see one (can't recall which mfr) where the facial likeness was (imho) spot on.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:40 pm
Buckeye wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:54 am ...It looks really good. I may need a second Aragorn in my collection. I'm going to wait, though, to see what else Weta reveals later this year. If this summer/fall are anything like last year, I'll need to dig deep into my wallet.
No need to post a pic (I know how the image limitations of this forum annoy you) ...just provide a link to a stock photo or ebay listing (if there is one).
There are some many Aragorns out there... But I did see one (can't recall which mfr) where the facial likeness was (imho) spot on.
I believe it is the same one I have.
or the exclusive with the hood off.

Deimos wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:40 pm
I have the regular version of the Sideshow maquette (with only the hooded head).
https://www.collectiblesdirect.co.uk/lo ... 37-cm.html

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

_

Yep, that is the one I saw that I thought had an excellent likeness to the Viggo's Aragorn.

It's probably the closest, but I wouldn't call it perfect. Something about the mouth and lips doesn't quite say Viggo to me.

To hear the way people are criticizing the new Weta Aragorn, you wouldn't think they're the same bunch that gushed over atrocities like Haldir, Frodo on Cart, and Boromir at Amon Hen. I think this new Aragorn is way above the level of those other efforts but I guess we all see different things. What I do know for a fact is that both Viggo and Elijah Wood seem to be two of the hardest faces for these companies to somehow get just right.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:55 am ... What I do know for a fact is that both Viggo and Elijah Wood seem to be two of the hardest faces for these companies to somehow get just right.
Maybe it's because both the actors were (imo) totally....wait for it.....miscast.
(Yes, I know, an egregious non sequitur, but it's the spirit of JRRT's characters coming back to haunt the collectible universe, preventing any Aragorn and Frodo facsimile from looking acceptable :O )

Valkrist wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:55 am It's probably the closest, but I wouldn't call it perfect. Something about the mouth and lips doesn't quite say Viggo to me.

To hear the way people are criticizing the new Weta Aragorn, you wouldn't think they're the same bunch that gushed over atrocities like Haldir, Frodo on Cart, and Boromir at Amon Hen. I think this new Aragorn is way above the level of those other efforts but I guess we all see different things. What I do know for a fact is that both Viggo and Elijah Wood seem to be two of the hardest faces for these companies to somehow get just right.
You would think in this day in age with all the great 3D technology that they could get a very good scan or model of the actors likeness.

I believe that was how the company Gentle Giant first started out, with actual scans of the actors faces.

I'm convinced that people absolutely see different things in human face sculpts, regardless of whether they're rendered by hand or digitally. No matter what statue is being discussed, opinions are always all over the map. It's just the way it is.

There are clearly some big misses that are largely panned. For me, both the Boromir at Amon Hen and Haldir statues fit in that category. I truly dislike both face sculpts, but I ended up getting Haldir because he was on sale and I loved everything else about the piece. The face sculpts on other statues seem to draw an almost evenly split opinion. Gandalf and Frodo on Cart is an example. Though Frodo's face is bit off, it's not enough to bother me . . . but it is truly a deal breaker for others.

I think the sculpt on the new Aragorn statue is excellent, as is the rest of the piece. Maybe the paint is the issue . . . I don't know. What I do know is that I love my SS maquette version. He's stood the test of time beautifully, IMO.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Absolutely agree, Buckeye.

Like you, I also got Haldir despite my extreme disappointment with the face. He looks like Bill Maher, not Craig Parker, and those two people look nothing alike. As you said though, the rest of the statue is gorgeous, and as this is the only representation of the character we'll ever get, I had to get him.

I skipped Boromir because I thought the face and expression were just awful. I get what the moment was that they were going for, but at least make it look like Sean Bean and I'll get over the ugly snarl and two arrows poking out of him. Nope.

That's the other thing - expressions (not just likeness) can make or break a statue for some. I intensely disliked the expressions chosen for the EotR MC, while I know that you love them. On the other hand, I think they got the four Hobbit likenesses on that statue pretty damn close to perfection.

Another famous case for me was Eomer. When I first saw photos of the face, my thought was "Oh no...", but like Haldir, I got him because hey, it only took Weta 15 years to make one, so why not? Then he arrives, and in hand, I love the likeness AND expression. Go figure. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Ronin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:00 pm Love the pose on this statue so much. I think I'm definitely in for this one. Hopefully the likeness stays this good.
Same.

It's getting a lot of flak for looking a bit like a surfboard, and I get it, but the complaints about the pose make zero sense to me. If you are standing on an angled surface like that and want to maintain a decent amount of balance, that's *exactly* how you would position your legs and feet. Just ask any surfer. :laugh:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:59 pm
Ronin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:00 pm Love the pose on this statue so much. I think I'm definitely in for this one. Hopefully the likeness stays this good.
Same.

It's getting a lot of flak for looking a bit like a surfboard, and I get it, but the complaints about the pose make zero sense to me. If you are standing on an angled surface like that and want to maintain a decent amount of balance, that's *exactly* how you would position your legs and feet. Just ask any surfer. :laugh:
I get the complaints too I suppose. I tried to imagine if a 'flat' stance like the Sideshow piece would've looked better. I actually like the "surfboard" look. Aragorn appears to be looking off into the distance. If he was doing that, it would most likely be from a position of higher ground that would most likely be sloped. Plus, per the description, this is Aragorn as he leads the hunt for the Uruks which if we're going by the visual of the movie, took place over rocky terrain like he's standing on here.

It may not be common with Weta statues but I've seen a lot of superhero statues that have a similar stance. *shrug* I don't know, I like it.

Had to check out the new Weta "Surfing Strider" as I had not seen an pics of it (because I wasn't looking for pics of it).
I'll not be buying it --easy pass-- for the same reasons I don't buy most [LOTR] statues... space and budget.
But, I'll still mini- critique it.

I think it looks very good. I think the sculptor captured Viggo/Aragorn facial features very well.
I don't know how well the clothing/weapon details match up to that of the the movie Strider, but it still says Strider to me.
As far as the surfing stance, I'm in total agreement with Val and Ronin on this and, like Ronin, I like the "distance" gaze (Rangers do that a lot with their grey eyes and stern expression :laugh: ).

Overall, if I were in the market for a Strider Statue (and I do like the Sideshow Maquette too), this one, at $400, would be an immediate buy.
Or as Siskel and Ebert would say: :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Edit: I just noticed something; or rather, the lack of something: Does the statue show his Elven dagger anywhere on his right side?
This presentation is after the Parth Galen action so he should be wearing Galadriel's gift.

Deimos wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:29 pm Had to check out the new Weta "Surfing Strider" as I had not seen an pics of it (because I wasn't looking for pics of it).
I'll not be buying it --easy pass-- for the same reasons I don't buy most [LOTR] statues... space and budget.
But, I'll still mini- critique it.

I think it looks very good. I think the sculptor captured Viggo/Aragorn facial features very well.
I don't know how well the clothing/weapon details match up to that of the the movie Strider, but it still says Strider to me.
As far as the surfing stance, I'm in total agreement with Val and Ronin on this and, like Ronin, I like the "distance" gaze (Rangers do that a lot with their grey eyes and stern expression :laugh: ).

Overall, if I were in the market for a Strider Statue (and I do like the Sideshow Maquette too), this one, at $400, would be an immediate buy.
Or as Siskel and Ebert would say: :thumbs_up :thumbs_up

Edit: I just noticed something; or rather, the lack of something: Does the statue show his Elven dagger anywhere on his right side?
This presentation is after the Parth Galen action so he should be wearing Galadriel's gift.
Ooooh, good catch, Diemos. It does not appear to be there. It could still be 'there' in spirit I guess :lol: but hidden under his coat. I have to believe it was a conscious omission. The level of detail on the rest of the figure is so impressive that I can't imagine Mr. Cockersell overlooked it.
Last edited by Ronin on Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

The gear looks 100% accurate to me. Without looking at footage or pictures (this is the part where N2 swoops in with evidence), didn't Aragorn wear the Elven Knife at the back part of his waist? In a standing pose and with the cloak, it would not be visible, right?

Thinking of the knife, it struck me that I only recall him using it once during the entire trilogy, and that's when he throws it at Lurtz. Or am I wrong and he also uses it to stab Sharku when the two get entangled on the warg? Either way, I don't recall seeing the knife after that so is it possible he lost it in that battle, or did Legolas and Gimli pick it up and returned it to him. It wouldn't do to lose a gift from your grandfather-in-law. :club:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:18 am The gear looks 100% accurate to me. Without looking at footage or pictures (this is the part where N2 swoops in with evidence), didn't Aragorn wear the Elven Knife at the back part of his waist? In a standing pose and with the cloak, it would not be visible, right?

Thinking of the knife, it struck me that I only recall him using it once during the entire trilogy, and that's when he throws it at Lurtz. Or am I wrong and he also uses it to stab Sharku when the two get entangled on the warg? Either way, I don't recall seeing the knife after that so is it possible he lost it in that battle, or did Legolas and Gimli pick it up and returned it to him. It wouldn't do to lose a gift from your grandfather-in-law. :club:
The only other times I can remember at the moment is when Eowyn is practicing with her sword and Aragorn blocks one of her swings with the knife and the other is when he surrenders it to the guards at Edoras.

Valkrist wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:18 am The gear looks 100% accurate to me. Without looking at footage or pictures (this is the part where N2 swoops in with evidence), didn't Aragorn wear the Elven Knife at the back part of his waist? In a standing pose and with the cloak, it would not be visible, right?

Here is a backside of the scene where this statue is supposed to take place and it shows the dagger on his back. Aragorn also uses the dagger to stab the troll in the foot in ROTK as well.
The.Lord.of.the.Rings.The.Two.Towers.2002.2160p.UHD.BluRay.H265-BOREDOR.mkv_snapshot_00.18.44_[2022.04.14_13.31.31].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Excellent, thanks to both for your sleuthing! :thumbs_up

I had forgotten about his block of Eowyn's sword swing (guess I was thinking only of battle scenes), and of course, the troll-foot stab. Looks like he carried it until the end then—Celeborn would be proud. :coolsmile

As for the statue itself, at least my memory didn't fail me there and I was correct that the knife is behind him, not at the side, so it's easy to understand how the cloak would cover the protruding hilt at times.
This Space for Rent

Actually, I mourn more the loss of the bedroll than not seeing the handle of the Elven knife poking out. Having Aragorn in full travel gear really conveys a sense of the consumate outdoorsman, with all his gear, on a days-long hunt across the plains of Rohan. Even the Sideshow piece included the bedroll and it really adds to the statue.
This Space for Rent

Bedroll* thank you.

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I wish it was there along with the knife. Like you said, Val, it conveys the sense of a consummate outdoors man which is what a Ranger is.

Have you ever seen Weta change a sculpt after the prototype phase? I'm sure there's been minor adjustments done but have you ever seen a major change done?

For something that is based on customer feedback/requests, no, not really.

Daniel recently commented on the change made to the upcoming 1:10 Gandalf that was previewed holding the wrong staff. He said that though we were very eagle-eyed in spotting that and quick to request a change, he also mentioned that they had already caught the error by the time the photos went up and that a correct version was in the works. The new preview pics now have the correct staff.

Other than that, I can't really think of any instance where a change was made based on feedback prior to release. They allowed fans to give suggestions on the pose for Faramir way back, but that was sadly a one-off moment for them. Still, I don't think it would hurt to ask and see if it's still possible. The statue is still a year out, but I don't know what production lead times are on these things, and even if they wanted to, it might already be too late. At best, we might actually get an acknowledgement of the omission and explanation as to why the bedroll is missing.
This Space for Rent

I sent in a ticket offering feedback. Curious to see what kind of response I get. I don't expect anything more other than a typical: "Thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate input from our customers!" But hey, it doesn't hurt to try. Maybe if they get enough questions about it, they'll address it.

I'm curious...I couldn't find pictures of the 1:10 Gandalf. Would you happen to have a link?

Oh, when I mentioned Daniel it's only because he was answering general questions over at FoU and this statue and the staff error came up, not because it was one that he'd worked on. He just happened to share that they noticed the staff was wrong but the first set of pictures had already gone up with an early prototype that was wrong.

If I recall correctly, he was holding a staff that doesn't actually exist because it looked like a weird hybrid of Radagast's staff and the Pipe staff (which are one and the same), but at some stage that we never saw, and which placed him after BotFA but FoTR, which made it really awkward for a statue being billed as part of the FoTR anniversary.

Here is the original on the first page of that thread. The Weta page had more angles but it's all been replaced now: https://www.flameofudun.net/forum/colle ... ure-statue
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:18 am ... It wouldn't do to lose a gift from your grandfather-in-law. :club:
Celeborn gave Aragorn his knife? I thought both Galadriel and Celeborn gave Aragorn his gifts.
I am going by the book and not the movie.
And in the book there wasn't any Elven knife given to Strider; G-and-C gave Aragorn the Sheath(scabbard) for Anduril.
In the book he already has Anduril, but in the movie he doesn't, so I guess the Knife was a stand-in for the Sword scabbard/sheath.

I hear ya, but as this is a statue that is based on the movie discussion, the reference I made was to the fact that, onscreen, it is Celeborn who gifts Aragorn the knife. They kind of butchered the scene a bit because although all nine are present at the gift-giving scene, there is no belt shown being given to Boromir, and I don't recall Aragorn receiving anything in that moment either other than the leaf clasp everyone else gets. The scene with the Elven knife takes place a bit later so I don't consider it part of that.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:01 pm Oh, when I mentioned Daniel it's only because he was answering general questions over at FoU and this statue and the staff error came up, not because it was one that he'd worked on. He just happened to share that they noticed the staff was wrong but the first set of pictures had already gone up with an early prototype that was wrong.

If I recall correctly, he was holding a staff that doesn't actually exist because it looked like a weird hybrid of Radagast's staff and the Pipe staff (which are one and the same), but at some stage that we never saw, and which placed him after BotFA but FoTR, which made it really awkward for a statue being billed as part of the FoTR anniversary.

Here is the original on the first page of that thread. The Weta page had more angles but it's all been replaced now: https://www.flameofudun.net/forum/colle ... ure-statue
Very interesting! That's quite a blunder if I'm being honest though. With all the reference material they surely pour over, the shape of the staff should be a prominent feature to focus on.

Did you ever end up getting the Gandalf classic series statue, Val? I read some of your posts talking about how it would have been preferable if he had the Moria staff rather than the pipe staff. I tend to agree although I think I may end up getting it nonetheless. I don't have any Gandalf statues. In fact I don't have any Weta statues at all besides Bilbo at his writing desk. That was my first one. I thought it would be my only one as I wasn't interested at all in hunting down older pieces but this newer classic series line just looks so good and it being open edition, I won't have to worry about them selling out. I don't think I will collect everyone but I would like to at least have the Fellowship. Then again, that's what I said about the UC swords :laugh:
Last edited by Ronin on Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

No, I never bought him, mainly for the reason you stated, and also for the fact that I already have three other Gandalfs. With the price going up another $50 on this series, I'm even less likely now. My only regret so far on the Classic Series was not getting the Ringwraith on this last sale. Getting 50 Weta Dollars as the only "discount" wasn't really enough to convince me, but had I know they were going to pull the low move of increasing prices on already-released statues, I would have gone for it. They really pulled a fast one on customers by not being clear as to what they were raising prices on. I think most people assumed it would only be for new items going forward, not in-stock stuff. Lesson learned. :angry:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:36 am No, I never bought him, mainly for the reason you stated, and also for the fact that I already have three other Gandalfs. With the price going up another $50 on this series, I'm even less likely now. My only regret so far on the Classic Series was not getting the Ringwraith on this last sale. Getting 50 Weta Dollars as the only "discount" wasn't really enough to convince me, but had I know they were going to pull the low move of increasing prices on already-released statues, I would have gone for it. They really pulled a fast one on customers by not being clear as to what they were raising prices on. I think most people assumed it would only be for new items going forward, not in-stock stuff. Lesson learned. :angry:
Oh man, yeah I hate it when I miss out on a sale. And yeah, it sucks that they raised the price on the already released classic series statues.

Do you have a guess as to when the next Weta sale will be?

Ronin wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:25 am
Do you have a guess as to when the next Weta sale will be?
No idea. They have done the rare sale here and there in the past out of the blue, but nowadays it's always for small stuff like coasters, pins, and Tshirts.

Typically, after the March Stocktake sale, you don't usually get another until Black Friday, and that's a very long ways away. I'll wait until then and see if a deal pops up on the Ringwraith or any Hobbit holes released between now and then, otherwise, I've got nothing in my sights. Their sales stopped being good a few years ago anyway.
This Space for Rent

Well, Weta got back to me regarding the question about Aragorn not having his bedroll. Dan (the rep) said that it was indeed a conscious decision to leave it out although he didn't say why. They did look at various references - sometimes Viggo had the bedroll, sometimes he did not. Interestingly he said the Elven knife is there, hidden underneath his clothing. He said he sent me a an image of it but the email didn't have any attachments.

I have to say I appreciate them taking the time to email me. It makes you want to support them even more.

Not sure if there isn't an existing [general] thread for this but is there anything/teasers from Weta about what will be showcased at the SDCC?
Pretty certain that whatever it is I won't be getting it.
But I'm curious nonetheless, because we are still in the 20th Anniversary window.
(If there already was a semi "reveal" I missed it because I don't anymore pay too much attention to what Weta is putting out)

In general I was thinking of what they did with the Treebeard statue....that teaser where someone was carrying/stacking cartons that had "leaves" sticking out. And now that you mention it I do recall it being on FB. But I don't remember how far in advance of SDCC they did that.

Possibly...or even probably. But I'm on a few other SDCC feeds as well.
And Phoenix just had its Phoenix Fan Fusion (or maybe it's Phoenix Phan Phusion...or Foenix Fan Fusion....nevermind..)
It used to be called Phoenix Comic Con until the SDCC legal beagles were let off their leashes to make a rabid dash to AZ.
Then PCC had to change its name....I guess that happened a few years ago.
Anyway, The PFF/PPP/FFF (whatever) got me to thinking about the SDCC.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:38 pm
TMcLim wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:33 pm No hints yet, sometimes other retailers leak photos a few days ahead of SDCC but if you've waited that long, better to wait a few days for the real Weta reveals. Daniel might give us a few hints though.
Here's a hint for you, free of charge... your bank account is going to be in tears. :laugh:
Ha I'd have to have something in my bank account for that to happen!

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:16 pm
TMcLim wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:21 pm
Ha I'd have to have something in my bank account for that to happen!
Oh, in that case, allow me to rephrase... your credit card is going to be in tears. :laugh:
I usually have pretty good restraint when it comes to pre ordering, I only have three at the moment, it's eBay deals that I have to be careful about haha

Getting ahead of the game a little bit, but I guess all of you have seen the latest blurb from Weta about the Master's Collection sculpt of the Dead Marshes scene.
And I seem to recall a previous blurb about, but I could be mistaken.
Comments are probably flying on FoU.
Anyway...the cash cow continues to be milked.
But this would be such an easy pass for me.

Shhhhh... don't let Idril hear you, I'm pretty sure she's been using Jedi mind tricks on the guys at Weta for years to get this one made.

I like the concept but I'll reserve final judgment until I see it. I think the price will be like an iceberg if you imagine your bank account to be the Titanic, so that, more than anything else, is what will sink this for me.
This Space for Rent

This could actually be really well done, a pretty impressive piece with respect to the Lore.
But to do that it would have to show a "dead thing" under the water, specifically an elf in his armour (as was done in the movie).
Then you would get a historical perspective of the place...it's not just an icky, smelly place, a decaying sink with no birdses to eat.
But of course that would require a substantially meticulous use of "water" and a lot more than was used in the Doors of Durin sculpt.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:08 pm Oh yeah, I forgot about your aversion to 'dead things'. :laugh:
Oh, it's more like "evil things" than "dead things".
Evil is a metaphysical thing... a dead body is just a factual thing...can be a dead body of a good person or dead body of an evil person, but finally it is merely (as Homer describes Hector's body) "dumb earth", neither good nor evil. (But admittedly it can be "icky"....corruption doesn't make metaphysical distinctions ... blech...so, yeah, not a big fan of decomposing dead things)

But juneau, "The Departure of Boromir" is one of my favorite scenes from all three books.
I can't tell you how many times I have reread that entire Parth Galen account beginning where he defends the Hobbits (thereby redeeming himself) and ending with Rauros claiming his body. A very cathartic experience (for me).

Return to “Weta Workshop”