Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

[quote=""Valkrist""]Just out of curiosity, has anyone here pre-ordered or is planning to buy the new 3-piece Fellowship statues set? I'm pretty intrigued by it and seeing as I never completed my set of individual Fellowship statues from the original run, this would be a cool way to have all nine walkers.

http://www.wetanz.com/the-fellowship-of-the-ring-set-1/[/quote]

They are very nice, but the size is rather small and there at least $200 a piece for a total of $600 for the set before shipping. Making them one of the most e xp ensive LOTR collectibles ever.

[quote=""Conan""]Hey guys i know i've been gone a while.. but has anyone noticed the new jewelery from weta? Is it me or do some of them look "off" from the movie : /[/quote]

Yes, it's been discussed to a small extent. See here: http://www.ucforums.com/showthread.php?t=5397

Only the One Ring and the Elven Brooch are available thus far, I think (unless you count the silver chain also.) What do you mean by "off"? As in, not exactly as seen in the movie? I think the One Ring is made by the same guy that made the actual prop so it should be accurate. Not sure about the brooch though, but it looks right to me. What differences do you see?
This Space for Rent

Yeah, they do look off. Nenya doesn't have V-shaped tips on its petals like the movie version, Barahir's ring has no gold accents, and the snakes seem to have lost half of their bodies around the bottom of the ring.... and why is there not an empty space between the intertwined tails at the top and the rest of the ring?

Very strange.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

You're absolutely right, those don't look right at all.

The Noble Collection versions may get accused of being cheap-looking once in a while, but they are very screen-accurate (except for their One Ring.) However, a lot of liberty seems to have been taken with these Weta versions. They look nice and solid and probably worth what they are asking for in materials and craftsmanship alone, but they are definitely not exact replicas of the props and that's a huge collectible no-no for me. :|
This Space for Rent

We finally have some new goodies to geek out over. Unfortunately, the pricing is not very attractive. With the spectre of Barad-dur and the upcoming UC line hanging over me, I will be giving most of this stuff a pass. :|

I had decided some time ago that I was going to give the polyurethane weapons a pass and I see nothing that is changing my mind, least of all the prices. If UC does not make Balin's Mace then I may consider it later on (if still available,) otherwise no thanks. Honestly, for someone who already owns all of the previous UC line, the thought of a ton more weapons to display on ever-decreasing wall space is not an appealing prospect. I think I will save my dough for a few choice items like Orcrist and Thranduil's sword.

I've also given up on collecting statues of characters, so I barely spared those a glance.

The props are interesting and I like them, but like Rev pointed out, the prices are ridiculous. I love Thorin's Map and I want one, but I don't think I can justify dropping $199 for a difference in material. The parchment one might be the way to go. I also think the Key of Erebor is a slamdunk. I like the Map of Wilderland, but it is not the same as the one in the book. This one is obviously e xp anded to include locations we will see in the movie (Dol Guldur, I'm looking at you.) ;)
This Space for Rent

Everything looks nice, but I too am one with little wall space to spare. I have been wanting a couple maps, so I might spring for one or 2 of them, maybe later. I have never collected statues/busts, so I doubt I will start now. The weapons are interesting, but I will have to wait and see with what UC produces and all that good stuff. One of these days when I grow up and have a house all to myself and have a dedicated collection room, then all bets are off!

[quote=""RosereIII""]Seems like space (along with price obviously) is the limiting factor on many of our collections; except Khal1993. I couldn't help myself and went ahead and picked up the Key to Erebor. Not too pricey and won't take up too much space. Looking forward to getting that when it ships![/quote]

Me too! A lot of nice stuff , but really over priced. With the statues being open edition I'm not to worried about the collectibility factor and will wait to see what other items are going to be produced. I do like that there are doing props and hope the do an Arkenstone and hope its reasonably priced like the key. Not worried about the weapons as I would rather go with UC as they are made with metal not urethane.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Exactly which of all those items are LEs?[/quote]

Don't know yet, as far as statues go, which is why I'm holding off. I know the new Weta Urathane weapons are LE, other than that I think everything that came out last night was OE. I want Balin and Dwalin the most, so I need to make sure I have the money to spring on them right when they come out just in case they're LE.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Re: Orcrist Revealed

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

weta just emailed me to say that my order for dwalins axes and balins mace has arrived at eh k warehouse been dispatched and is on its way to me already!!!

I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and upload them as soon as they arrive

wahoo!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]The knives of Kili and Filing are labeled as having a 500 edition size.. the mace and axes don't have any edition size info.[/quote]

Figures! I think that's probably the only one I didn't click on to check. Ok, still hope for the mace remaining an open edition then. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Khal, you'll have to give us a detailed review on these. I'm curious as to how they will compare with the UC replicas. Obviously the materials used are different and the Weta replicas will be cast from the exact same moulds as the ones used in the movie, but I'm more interested in knowing what they feel like. It's hard to disassociate something that is made with plastic from a toy, and some of those replicas really have that look about them, especially Dwalin's Axes.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Jaymail""]Looks awesome! And the Ring of Thorin? Which version is it? Weta have recently added it to their collection too.

http://www.wetanz.com/the-ring-of-thori ... ng-silver/

Yours looks a little different tough with the square 'ring'...[/quote]

My ring is a custom version that was commissioned on a foreign LOTR forum called MundoDVD and is all in Spanish. Great little piece and is cast in metal and slightly different than the Weta one or the Nobel version.

[quote=""N2darkness""]Got my Key of Erebor today. Not too bad, has some heft to it as its made of metal. A little larger than I'd thought it would be considering its made by a dwarf.[/quote]

Great work on the Contract, N2. And I like the Key...am considering it since I have some Weta dollars still.

Question about your Thror's map...If I am not mistaken (and without going back through old threads to check) that map looks like the Indyprops one. Is it?
But wherever you got it, does it have the Moon Runes on it?

I just received my Weta parchment map (the cheaper one) and it has the Moon Runes very faintly on it, almost like a watermark.
Last edited by Deimos on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Weta Workshop”