Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

[quote=""MorgulMike""]Has anyone here in the States ordered the Weta Staff Of Radagast? If so, what kind of shipping cost were you quoted (shipping from the U.S. warehouse)? I'm in the central U.S. and would lke to get an idea of this before ordering. Thanks in advance![/quote]

$40.87 was the shipping charge for me on the east coast.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""N2darkness""]Mine was only $15, but I'm only a few miles from the warehouse, usually get it next day to.[/quote]

And hopefully you'll get it soon, because I want pictures! :P Shipping is one big factor preventing me from pulling the trigger right now. :| But as soon as I see a "Low Stock" warning, I'll probably buy it.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Yeah, I'm madly waiting for N2's pictures and discerning review. Hopefully if he and a couple of others like it well enough, I'm not waiting for Low Stock to order it.

Shipping to Canada is actually not that bad, and like N2, I'm not too far away from the Oregon warehouse. Problem is they use UPS which then kills you with brokerage charges. :cursing_r
This Space for Rent

Regarding the Staff Of Radagast, I was thinking that $40 to the east coast seemed high but after seeing the shipping charges that sellers on eBay are quoting, $40 isn't as high as I thought. I really want one, so I want to make a decision fairly soon. (I also want the Staff of Gandalf but, with Weta and UC selling it, I feel I have more time.)

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yeah, I'm madly waiting for N2's pictures and discerning review. Hopefully if he and a couple of others like it well enough, I'm not waiting for Low Stock to order it.

Shipping to Canada is actually not that bad, and like N2, I'm not too far away from the Oregon warehouse. Problem is they use UPS which then kills you with brokerage charges. :cursing_r [/quote]

Just got my staff of Radagast and very, very pleased. Packed to the hilt and a little difficult to remove from the package (especially if you don't want to ruin it so it can be reused) The paint job it top notch and is much lighter in weight that the UC Gandalf makes it feel like real wood. Now I really wish I would have gotten the Weta Gandalf version. I will post some pics later this week when I'm off work.

N2, you are a gentleman and a scholar!

Can't wait to see pics of the staff, it'll be great to see what we can e xp ect from the Weta GtG staff as well, especially for people like me who have held off purchasing both versions because I didn't know which would be higher quality.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Interesting. So you like the Weta version better? I'm not huge hawk on the paint job thing, but how do the details and "feel" differ, if you know what I mean?[/quote]

It looks very much like wood, even the feel. Has a nice crook for your hand to fit into. Can't say enough about how well Weta has done. Pics soon, I promise.

....fine....I'm caving. I'll buy it; you ought to get a commission. I'll wait until the end of the month to see if anything else comes out. If not, I guess I'll just have to do the dirty deed and double up on staffs from this movie! :P
Last edited by Olorin on Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Valkrist""]Looks awesome. My credit card is shaking its head at me so I have to wait one more week, but then it is getting pre-ordered for sure. N2, how do you like the crystal? Does it sit tightly in its nook?[/quote]

The crystal sit loosely, but you can hold the staff upside down and it won't fall out.

I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed :thumbs_up

I got an email saying my staff will be processed and dispatched next week :D

The mounting bracket that comes with the staff doesn't look very good and like N2 mentioned on the weta forum it could damage the paint.

I'm actually planning on putting it in a display cabinet once I get some more money, but for now I need to think of a way of displaying it without the awful bracket it comes with. Any ideas guys?
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Hmmm... can someone post a closeup pic of the wall bracket?

The old UC brackets for the Gandalf the White and Saruman staves were metal also, but they had clear rubber tubbing to protect the staff from rubbing against the holder. I really like the Grey staff bracket. Wish we could buy it separately just for the Radagast staff. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Yes to answer Lindir's question I got Orcrist yesterday and further photo's and a review coming tomorrow.

On the wall bracket for Radagast's staff here is a photo.

I don't think it opens up far enough not to cause some damage to the paint job over time. The bracket is made from some fairly strong metal and rubber dipped I'll add some more pictures tomorrow of what I'm talking about.

[quote=""Lindir""]I got an email saying my staff will be processed and dispatched next week :D

The mounting bracket that comes with the staff doesn't look very good and like N2 mentioned on the weta forum it could damage the paint.

I'm actually planning on putting it in a display cabinet once I get some more money, but for now I need to think of a way of displaying it without the awful bracket it comes with. Any ideas guys?[/quote]

I'm planning to have a friend create a wall plaque that will enable me to mount three staves (Galdalf the Grey, Gandalf the White, and Radagast) together and *horizontally.* Hopefully that will work the way I intend.

It may take a while before the solution in place, but when I do I'll post pics.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

[quote=""Jamanticus""]Bellissimo!

Positively, absolutely great photos of a great staff.

The two have a good complimentary look together.[/quote]
Took the words out of my mouth (less to type) :)
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

My Radagast staff arrived today. Beautiful paint job. It really does look like real wood.

Unfortunately, one of the crown limbs was already cracked. I could see the damage before I unboxed it, even though I thought the packaging was OK. The wall mount was wrapped in foam, but loose in the box. I could hear it banging around before I opened it, so I suspect that's how the limb was damaged.

I can see a wire frame inside the cracked limb, but be very wary of hitting those limbs on anything. The polyresin is super thin around the wire and it does not look like it will take much to pressure to crack it. I'm going to repair mine with some thin resin glaze and paint over the patches.

The main difference I see from the filming prop is the coloring. There are several varying shades of brown on both staff props. The UC staff has about six shades of brown to replicate the G staff prop colors. The Radagast staff replica looks like there may be three, as you can see in the pix N2Darkness posted above. So, less of the prop look, but it actually means less dry brushing, so it looks more like wood than paint. The other difference is it appears to have a dull coat over the whole staff, which also enhances the real wood look IMO. It kind of looks like the surface of dried and sun bleached drift wood. The filming prop surface has more of a slight sheen to it, like the polish from years of handling, and you can see that from the pix from the Weta website.
http://www.last-alliance.net/forum/atta ... 1355927009
I think the duller look of the replica is better.

As far as the wall mount, yeah. That's definitely not going to be used. It is rubber coated metal. The back opening is not wide enough for the staff, and you definitely do not want the try and press the staff through those two arms. It can be bend open to the correct width, but that also bends the back plate so it is no longer flat.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
KRDS

Sorry yours arrived broken. Mine also had the wall bracket loose and rolling around in the box. I have a few very small chips in mine on on the top but nothing to horrible and barely noticeable. I'm also glad you agree about the wall bracket. I had almost thought you could use it near the top where the pipe slot is and push the two arms together and push them inside, it works but not sure for how long.

I'm really torn now on ordering the Weta Gandalf staff as the Radagast one turned out so great. I'm also half temped to just strip the paint on the UC one and give it a go myself. Any suggestions on paint stripping?

Hmmm... I'm hoping that when I order mine, it comes damage free, but that's a gamble every time. It won't stop me, but now I'm worried.

I'm more worried about what do to over this silly wall bracket issue. I'm really surprised Weta didn't think this through a little better. I guess it shows their ine xp erience over selling wall-mounted weapon replicas versus UC, who's had the benefit of doing this for years.

Kit, any chance you could convince your employers to sell the Grey Staff wall mount by itself? ;)
This Space for Rent

I'm self employed, but if you mean UC, I seriously doubt it. It fits the Radagast staff perfectly though.

Looking at it, I think the intent may have been to wedge the staff between those two arms, and the friction of the rubber would hold it in place. I bent the arms open a bit and tried it. Holds for a minute, then drops out. Do not do this. I then really really jammed it in there all the way to the back, but that's removing the paint just pulling it on and off, not to mention the force needed to put it on and off will rip the screws holding the bracket through drywall, unless you use a stud.

If the U shape were the correct diameter for the staff shaft, and it had been in the shape of a cupped C rather than a U, I think it would have worked OK.
KRDS

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I'm self employed, but if you mean UC, I seriously doubt it. It fits the Radagast staff perfectly though.[/quote]

Yep, those guys you do design and development for. I was only half serious anyway. ;)

I'm a bit glad my staff will only be going into storage once it arrives anyway because it gives time for other folks here to e xp eriment and come up with a solution that I can possibly try later. Thanks for giving us some do's and don'ts already, Kit. I wonder if anyone has mentioned this issue to Weta yet. :huh:
Last edited by Valkrist on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Weta Workshop”