Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

[quote=""Valkrist""]Just in case you are insane, have money to burn, or a little bit of both: http://www.wetanz.com/gandalf-the-grey-life-size-statue

I gotta say I'm otherwise at a loss for words on this collectible.[/quote]

Incredibly well done likeness of Ian McK.'s Gandalf.

But....no way I'd spend 5K on that unless I did really have a lot of "money to burn".

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Fingolfin""]...because our statues already cost twice what they're worth. Here, might as well buy this instead. :P

I like it, for what it's worth...would rather see them spending their time on something people can afford, though. Like the Green Dragon.[/quote]

Yeah... in today's economic climate, I really can't understand the direction that Weta has taken of late with their pricing. The MSSC line was always a bit ridiculous, but hey, to each his own. Then the statues got pricey, and now this shows up. It does say there are currently less than five available for purchase, and likely there are less than five people in the whole world who will buy it, but I still question their decision-making process sometimes. What's next? :huh:
This Space for Rent

I'll make Shards of Narsil displays for half that price if you've got space for that :P
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

I know I have been off for a while, but now that Weta is officially "low stock" on their Gandalf the Grey staff, has anyone actually compared Weta vs UC. I really, and I mean really like my Radagast stafff, and I know that the mounting for the Weta one is terrible, but now that it has shipped, and there is really no good pricing for the UC one anymore, they are priced comparable and I really need to make a decision or forever hold my peace.

You know I went through pages 50-59b then spopped... *facepalm*

only concern with the uc version is the crown, particularly in the third pic from kit. The top part seems very thin and flimsy. And although I love my rada staff I'm terrified of breaking it. Is the uc one like that at all since the crown is smaller? decisions decisions... I wish I could chop off the crown of weta and put it on ucs lol

According to Kit in his description , the UC one is more screen accurate . The one WETA made was altered from the movie prop . Especially in the crown area . They made the crown thicker , I believe so they didn't have the breaking issues like with the Radagast staff . All they really need to do is package their items better as UC does . I have a few of their items and the foam packaging inside the boxes doesn't even fill the box . I personally like the UC version , not just because I bought that one , but I think the coloring and detail is much better . I was more torn between UC and Noble because that one lights up . But ultimately decided on UC and waiting for reviews of the other one .

[quote=""Fingolfin""]...Yeah, e xp ensive yet again...so I'll have to scrape it off the dregs of eBay in thirty years when I finally finish my LotR collection. :P [/quote]

Hmmm...that's a sobering thought, especially when I think I'll likely be dead by that time .... :P

This took a sudden turn for the down and out. :crazy: I promise, I'll finish my Lord of the Rings collection before then, just so you don't have to worry about it, Deimos. ;) I can hear the conversation right now..."No, YOU don't understand! I HAVE to buy these! I must finish this collection, for a friend! The $4,000 is completely justified."
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Daniel Falconer has said that the next book in The Hobbit Chronicles will be for The Desolation of Smaug and will be out in December, with details coming soon.

I was kinda hoping they would have been able to get a third for AUJ and focus on props, sets and costumes in more detail. But still, I hope its an art book for TDOS :)
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]This took a sudden turn for the down and out. :crazy: I promise, I'll finish my Lord of the Rings collection before then, just so you don't have to worry about it, Deimos. ;) I can hear the conversation right now..."No, YOU don't understand! I HAVE to buy these! I must finish this collection, for a friend! The $4,000 is completely justified."[/quote]

Why, Fin, I am honored that you would accelerate your acquisitions just so that I'm....ummmm...alive when you complete your collection. (Drooling, possibly, but still breathing :D .)

[quote=""Jaymail""]Just a small detail I noticed in Weta's posting about Comic Con on their forum.
Amongst other things they will be presenting at the Con they will have:

prop replicas of Tauriel's Daggers (only 50 pieces available at Comic Con)
[/quote]

Somewhere, Lindir is salivating with anticipation. Or will be :P

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

I'm not salivating, and neither should Lindir or any others of us.

What this likely bodes is that Weta will be offering Tauriel's daggers as part of their new line of replica prop weapons. Unfortunately, thus far this line of products seems to have had the side effect of making UC extremely gun-shy about releasing their own versions of these same weapons. The only duplicate we have so far is Gandalf's staff and that's probably only because UC managed to release theirs first. Honestly, and though I'm only guessing at the reason here, I don't blame UC because the collector's market is not super huge and the economy still sucks. You flood the market with multiple versions of the same product and you risk a warehouse or two filled with unsold product due to the competition getting their version to retailers first.

In this case, and because I'm not interested in rubberized plastic weapons, I would rather Weta not produce these daggers because I feel that will severely lessen UC's chances of releasing their own. I could be wrong but I don't think we'll be seeing Balin's mace or Dwalin's axes coming out of UC any time soon, if ever. Tauriel's daggers may go that route and I find that extremely disappointing. :(
This Space for Rent

I have to say, I agree with Val completely. I was excited at first to see what the daggers look like but then I had a similar conclusion - this may only delay, if not prevent UC from making them. I hope this is not the case. I would not buy Weta's for the very same reason - that they are urethane. I would buy a UC version at the drop of a hat though.

[quote=""Valkrist""]I'm not salivating, and neither should Lindir or any others of us.
[/quote]
I won't argue with you on the rest of your post because it is well thought-out, but I don't appreciate you telling me what I should and should not be looking forward to. Personally I think those daggers make prime Weta replica candidates, they have the appearance of thorns rather than gleaming daggers from what I've seen so far, so one doesn't have to worry about them looking fake compared to steel versions, and they'd be cast from the originals.

Guess we'll be seeing close-up pics of those pieces in a few days.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Jamanticus""]I don't appreciate you telling me what I should and should not be looking forward to. .[/quote]

I think we both know that I can't make you, or anyone else, do anything that you don't want. I was merely e xp ressing my personal dismay at the mention of this product, and thus projecting that disappointment onto others. Yes, it is wrong because everyone has a right to their own preference and one shouldn't impose theirs upon other people. I apologize for my poorly worded lack of excitement.

I'm not not knocking the quality of Weta's work or the faithfulness of their reproductions (though few will argue that something went wrong with some of their jewellery,) but I remain unhappy that they decided to cut into UC's domain in the weapon replica business. There is certainly a place for the small niche market that is the MSSC line, but the urethane weapons, in as much as I can avoid them, are not my thing. Sorry. :(
This Space for Rent

Wow, it's really already time for SDCC? :O It will be interesting to see what Weta throws out on display, especially those daggers. I also hope UC doesn't shy away from them. Weta's daggers will be a limited run of 750, and I bet the 150 they bring to Con will sell out with a limit of two per customer. So hopefully everyone who misses out on the LE urethane run will pressure UC to make the "real" pieces. :coolsmile

I'm excited to see them, but have no interest in buying the urethane replicas. However, I don't think UC will shy away from making them.

Kit mentioned a few months back that UC has things lined up for the release of the next two films and something tells me Tauriel's daggers will be in the first wave of replicas for the desolation of smaug.

I'm pretty sure Kit has mentioned that the elven replicas from LOTR were all big sellers in the past, and also the elven swords were the first to market for An Une xp ected Journey. Fingers crossed, but I have no intention of getting the Weta ones.

However if it were Tauriel's bow, that would be a different matter because neither company will produce it in wood. But, I think I will stick with UC. I like their products and want to support the company and Kit's work, so we can get some great replicas from the movies.

So yes I'm salivating in anticipation of seeing them Jaman :P but I won't be buying them.

I hope so.

I agree with Jaman when he says that since these daggers are not traditional blades, the fact that they won't be steel won't be as much of a detriment (for those of us who find it to be so.) I should also say that my distaste for urethane does not extend to difficult (and costly) to reproduce replicas such as helms. shields, bows, and staves. I merely think that where a weapon has a blade, steel should be used. Still, these daggers are not conventional, to say the least.
This Space for Rent

I love the cut outs on the blade. I can't wait to see photos from comic con :D

On the urethane replicas, there are things I would certainly consider buying. UK laws on curved blades (here I go again :P ) stop me from getting stainless steel swords, so if Weta were to produce the Mirkwood soldier swords and Thranduil's sword in urethane I would probably pick them up, because I love the designs of both.

Of course I'm still praying that UC may decide to do a limited run of hand forged carbon steel bladed versions of both, but I doubt it

I wonder if either company will produce the Mirkwood scout daggers? It would be cool to have Legolas', Tauriel's and the scout fighting knives on the wall together.

I love the comparison to thorns for Tauriel's daggers. I was trying to think of what they reminded me of and couldn't put my finger on it, but then you mentioned thorns Jaman and I realised what it was :P

I have to agree that everyone has a different approach on collecting . Some only want metal or steel replicas , I myself will buy what I like . Meaning if there is an item that is done extremely well , the detail is there and the price is right I may purchase it . As I purchased Balin's Mace , I really don't believe that is likely to be made out of steel by anyone . Truly they are all wall hangers anyway right . Even the steel blades are not really usable , unless you pony up and pay through the nose for the cream of the crop Master Swordsmith versions . As Kit had stated somewhere here , I don't remember , UC will most likely not make the Thorin Dwarf Sword Deathless because of its weight , nearly twice that of Fili and Kili's swords . Not out of Steel anyway due to the cost .

Well, conventional or unconventional, Val is right as ever: these can, and should be made as Stainless daggers. Daggers, with metal blades. Although, I can see where the urethane would be an attractive option if you're stuck with bad weapon import laws, like say, if you lived in northern England and happened to be a big fan of, I don't know, elves, and really wanted some pieces that happened to be reproductions of Elvish weapons. I mean, if any of you happen to know someone in that situation. :laugh:

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well, conventional or unconventional, Val is right as ever: these can, and should be made as Stainless daggers. Daggers, with metal blades. Although, I can see where the urethane would be an attractive option if you're stuck with bad weapon import laws, like say, if you lived in northern England and happened to be a big fan of, I don't know, elves, and really wanted some pieces that happened to be reproductions of Elvish weapons. I mean, if any of you happen to know someone in that situation. :laugh: [/quote]

There are no.such people!

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Well, conventional or unconventional, Val is right as ever: these can, and should be made as Stainless daggers. Daggers, with metal blades. Although, I can see where the urethane would be an attractive option if you're stuck with bad weapon import laws, like say, if you lived in northern England and happened to be a big fan of, I don't know, elves, and really wanted some pieces that happened to be reproductions of Elvish weapons. I mean, if any of you happen to know someone in that situation. :laugh: [/quote]

hehehe :D Laughing for ages at this Fin, really tickled me for some reason :P

The weta statues are e xp ensive, but if they produce a Tauriel statue or Thranduil or maybes a new Legolas one I might have to consider it. What do you guys think of their current Hobbit statues? are they worth the money?

You're welcome. :D

The new Weta statues are phenomenal. My only problem with them is price for size. I bought Thorin because I got a $50 off coupon on him, and even for $200 he's only 9 inches tall. Bilbo, a little hobbit, for $200? And Gollum, even smaller, for $250? That's where I draw the line. However, they are really, really good pieces, so if you can afford it, go for it. The sculpts are great and the paint is one thousand times better than the SSW line...they really stick out. And if the elves don't cost more than $250, I wouldn't consider it coughing up too much. I would foam at the mouth for a Thranduil Statue, in armor with his sword and crown, or even better, on that moose! :coolsmile

[quote=""Fingolfin""]You're welcome. :D

The new Weta statues are phenomenal. My only problem with them is price for size. I bought Thorin because I got a $50 off coupon on him, and even for $200 he's only 9 inches tall. Bilbo, a little hobbit, for $200? And Gollum, even smaller, for $250? That's where I draw the line. However, they are really, really good pieces, so if you can afford it, go for it. The sculpts are great and the paint is one thousand times better than the SSW line...they really stick out. And if the elves don't cost more than $250, I wouldn't consider it coughing up too much. I would foam at the mouth for a Thranduil Statue, in armor with his sword and crown, or even better, on that moose! :coolsmile [/quote]

I'm sticking with my Elf only collection from now on. I cant afford all the dwarven replicas and statues and I prefer the elven stuff anyways so if I bought any statues it would probably just be elves and maybes Radagast. I know they're working on a Radagast statue, hopefully they'll show that off at comic con.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]You're welcome. :D

.... I would foam at the mouth for a Thranduil Statue, in armor with his sword and crown, or even better, on that moose! :coolsmile [/quote]

Moose? Moose?!! You said MOOSE? As in Bullwinkle??!!!

Please tell me you are kidding, Fin, and do not really think Thranduil is sitting on a moose.....please tell me that....please...

[quote=""Deimos""]Moose? Moose?!! You said MOOSE? As in Bullwinkle??!!!

Please tell me you are kidding, Fin, and do not really think Thranduil is sitting on a moose.....please tell me that....please...[/quote]

It's an Irish elk isn't it? or at least, they based the design of it on an Irish elk.

Sorry, sorry! Didn't realize I was under such heavy environmental scrutiny! :D I literally haven't seen that image since I first saw the trailer, I never even paid attention to it, other than the fact that it wasn't a horse and it had antlers. It is definitely not a moose. :thumbs_up

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Sorry, sorry! Didn't realize I was under such heavy environmental scrutiny!.... It is definitely not a moose. :thumbs_up [/quote]

*ahem*...Zoological scrutiny, if you please...

(I am in one of my hyper-critical, gimlet-eye moods right now, as you can see.)

Oh, and it's so good to know that you can tell the difference between a horse and a moose...*roll eyes*
Last edited by Deimos on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

These are two different images.

The first image below posted by Fin is some variation of an Elk. The second image below posted by Izzual is a Moose.

Not sure what the deal is.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]What ever this thing is:

I haven't seen the image in ages, I don't even remember what it was...I just remember it was big and brown and had antlers. :crazy: Looks more like an elk at second glance. :P [/quote]

[quote=""Izzual""].......

Looks like a moose to me[/quote]
Last edited by Rough666 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

[quote=""Izzual""].......

Looks like a moose to me[/quote]

oh.my.god. ....Fin is right! Thranduil is riding Bullwinkle! :D

Return to “Weta Workshop”