Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

The whole moose thing really got funny there you guys.

Nope not a moose, and No, not an elk.
It's a caribou.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]The whole moose thing really got funny there you guys.

It's a caribou.[/quote]

Oh, that's just dandy, Thrandy.....your namesake is riding Rudolph??!

No no, wait... maybe it's Dancer? Now there's a majestic name for a king's royal mount. :laugh:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Thranduil""]The whole moose thing really got funny there you guys.

It's a caribou.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's an Irish elk. The antlers on a caribou are flat on the top, however the antlers on an Irish Elk are all flat, like a Moose. I believe that's why so many people thought it was a Moose. Here are some images of an Irish Elk. For anyone who doesn't know, the Irish Elk is now extinct.

"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Valkrist""]lol... Rough, you've been away too long and obviously missed the joke. Izzual clearly and cleverly photoshopped a moose's head and antlers over the original photo from the movie, which is an elk. The first photo is correct, the second photo is a joke/fake. :P [/quote]

Haha! Clever photoshopping! I'll creep back to the shadows again now where I do my best lurking.
Head of the Department of Evil, Canadian Division.

"All that Longbottom gave me the munchies."

[quote=""Lindir""]I'm pretty sure it's an Irish elk. The antlers on a caribou are flat on the top, however the antlers on an Irish Elk are all flat, like a Moose. I believe that's why so many people thought it was a Moose. Here are some images of an Irish Elk. For anyone who doesn't know, the Irish Elk is now extinct.

[/quote]

The debate is on!
Is it a caribou or is it an Irish Elk?

Lindir makes a pretty good case for it being an Irish elk, not only by the look of the beastie by especially by its size relative a human (even if the human is an elf).

Caribou quite literally cannot measure up.

Point for Lindir! :cheering:

Thrandy, your turn.
Last edited by Deimos on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caribou antlers vary a great deal.
Considering it's picture perfect CGI, I'm sticking to caribou.

Or perhaps they decided to cross breed for Middle Earth fantasy and it's both Irish Elk/Caribou.

And btw Deimos, reindeer related or not, caribou are larger than elk. I've seen both side by side in a trophy room.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]...
And btw Deimos, reindeer related or not, caribou are larger than elk. I've seen both side by side in a trophy room.[/quote]

I agree that a normal caribou is larger than a normal elk.

I'm thinking that they put Thranduil on a CGI Irish elk; meaning someone in the production crew had at some time visited a Museum of Natural History or watched something on the Discovery Channel and knew how big they are (or were....before they became extinct) .

But....we may never know the answer ....it's all movie magic

:jaw:

T... Tauriel....

It's like someone went "your wish is my command!" ... But I can't afford this wish :'(

I was hoping there would be enough time between releases so I could afford to get the Thranduil and Tauriel statues as well as her daggers.

I'm really tempted by this, at least it's an open edition:

[quote=""Jaymail""]The thread name is certainly VERY applicable - "new weta EVERYWERE you look!" They are previewing so much stuff![/quote]

Indeed, Jaymail!

Here's a link to some pictures of Radagast: http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... 436&page=5

Scroll down, he looks really good.

Also, there's a life sized Azog statue. He looks a heck of a lot better in the sculpted flesh than in CGI.

Check here for some Azog pictures, he really does look good. There's no CGI here, just great scultping. These pictures are of Azog on Warg, but if you go back to page two you can see the full sized statue, which shows off his loin cloth...which just happens to be made of dwarven face-leather. Don't know how I missed that in the movie; gruesome stuff that is! http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... 463&page=3

Oh, and here's some photos of the elf pieces: http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... 468&page=2

Two new hobbit holes, along with the Rivendell council chamber: http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=40478
Last edited by Fingolfin on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

... :'(

I want her bow... I want her daggers... What to do?

I guess this could be the end of the UC Tauriel bow, which would be a shame. I'm e xp ecting the bow to be more than the swords, so I doubt UC will want to make anymore. Maybes Kit can comment on what he believes the chances of it are.

Fingers crossed for the UC daggers still. I love the Arwen statue, I think I'll try and get that when it becomes available.

Well, I see that the daggers in that last photo are displayed in Weta's now-recognizable wall plaque for their weapons line. However, what makes you say that the bow will be for sale also? Are they showcasing only things that Weta will be selling or also displaying props from the movies? I do see a label to the right of the bow which seems to say 'The Hobbit' but I don't know if it's for the bow or something else that's beyond the label.
This Space for Rent

Yep, you're right. I just read a bunch of stuff over at S&F and basically everything displayed is, or will be, for sale.

Since UC is as yet untried in making bow replicas, I fear this offering by Weta will also deep-six their willingness to make one of their own. Again, I only speculate at the reasons and I'm sure Kit will set me straight if he is allowed to comment on that, but I maintain that UC is wary of competing with Weta by bringing to market secondary versions of the same replicas.

As an aside, someone mentioned (sorry, I forgot who) that UC won't be making Thorin's dwarven sword? If that is true, then Noble's version of that weapon could soon become a very rare and valuable collectible like Gandalf's original staff, which UC never made.
This Space for Rent

Yep, everything Weta displays is always for sale, pretty much. I'm interested to see just what they made that bow out of.

As for Thorin's Dwarven sword, I kind of dismissed Noble's verison. I think it would actually be a little amusing to me if it became a grail like the GtG staff. You know, until I want it real bad and have to pony up $1500 for it. ;)

While on the topic of said sword, has anyone picked up this noble collection sword? Or any other of their Hobbit replicas?
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""RosereIII""]While on the topic of said sword, has anyone picked up this noble collection sword? Or any other of their Hobbit replicas?[/quote]

The sword doesn't come out until August. Don't be too shocked when it goes out of production and the price skyrockets. I might have to pick one up.
This Space for Rent

I have not purchased any Hobbit weapon items from Noble . Val is correct the sword is slated to come out in August . I have checked and it will be around the same size as Fili and Kili's UC swords , making all three dwarven swords the same . I am happy with the Deed of Comtract and a few other items from Noble that I have . I will be ordering Deathless from Noble .
As far as the WETA stuff at SDCC , I would like to see a better picture of the daggers before I bite . And I am still hoping that UC decides to try their hand at Bows , we seem to have a few months before WETA releases the bow if it's 4th quarter 2013 ! !

[quote=""Jaymail""][IMG]Weta, through their facebook page, say that these will both be available for order from their store in October.[/quote]

October you say? Gentlemen...start your savings!

It's too bad that Weta and UC are overlapping products in odd patterns. Certain weapons/props are being done by both and others are being ignored completely. I know they have their reasons for doing what they do, but from an outside/consumer point of view, it seems a bit off.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.

I bet UC is feeling like they've been screwed over, having to compete with Weta and Noble. I hope UC don't shy away to much, but I don't know what to do about Tauriel's bow. If I leave the Weta version UC may not do one. But if I buy the Weta version then I won't be able to support the UC version :|

That's precisely the problem. I didn't want to buy Weta's version of Radagast's staff, but with UC being typically enigmatic and not revealing whether or not they would make one of their own, I was left with no choice, especially with Weta's staff possibly selling out. Their lack of announcements or preview catalogs only works against them in this case. I honestly don't know why UC follows this policy of secrecy so staunchly; it's not like the movies are being spoiled if they tell us which weapons they are working on. At the very least, it would prevent sales from bleeding over to Weta or Noble because then we would feel more comfortable waiting.
This Space for Rent

My thoughts exactly Val, I was in the same place with the Radagast staff...which is why Noble's Thorin sword has now been pre-ordered. I'd much prefer a UC version, but from the sounds of things, it won't happen. Then again, it may ship in August and the next day I'll find out UC has been planning on making them all along.

A little transparency goes a long way. If anything I would think that revealing their upcoming releases would increase their sales. Customers would have more time to become aware of the items and also save up some extra cash...

[quote=""RosereIII""]My thoughts exactly Val, I was in the same place with the Radagast staff...which is why Noble's Thorin sword has now been pre-ordered. I'd much prefer a UC version, but from the sounds of things, it won't happen. Then again, it may ship in August and the next day I'll find out UC has been planning on making them all along.

A little transparency goes a long way. If anything I would think that revealing their upcoming releases would increase their sales. Customers would have more time to become aware of the items and also save up some extra cash...[/quote]

I'd like to see some photos of his sword when you get it :)

UC could ask Warners for permission to release a special preview of their products, or at least name a few that they are going to come out with. It seems ridiculous that Weta and other companies can preview their Hobbit related merchandise months in advance of UC.

I did the same Val, that's why I pre-ordered Radagast's staff as soon as it became available. At least that way I'd have one if UC didn't release their own version.

But at least pre-orders for Tauriel's bow won't open until October. They were allowed to give special previews of certain products at Comic Con. UC should also release information and spec sheets on their products in October, and then we can see what's going on. I doubt her bow will be in the first wave though, and from what Kit said a few weeks back when I commented on her quiver it looks like its not in production at all yet. I could be wrong, and Kit can't comment either :| Fingers crossed for her daggers though, and I hope they aren't limited editions.

I'd hate for the UC line to run dry and we'd have to turn to Weta for the plastic weapons or Noble's swords, but I think it could happen which would be a shame.
Last edited by Lindir on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

I think part of the problem could be that UC doesn't even know exactly what they'll be producing. They could have Kit working on a prototype, but they might not even know until, say October or thereabouts, if it's going to be feasible to mass produce the item...and thus, the hesitation to make product anouncements. It's difficult on us, but a company that's gone through bankruptcy can't afford a risk like a company that just prduced a multi-million dollar movie trilogy can. :( Nevertheless, I'll throw my hat in for "Please give me more advanced warning." Any sign of life is good.

UC has known exactly what they 'want' to produce for film 2 since late last year, but nothing is set in stone. Some things are turn out to be very feasible to make, others too cost prohibitive, and seeing what other companies announce does change things. Weta gets the advance for announcing their product schedule before other licensees for obvious reasons, as they should, but others have to wait.

Reading a few posts above, I should note that, other than the Master Swordsmith collection, UC had absolutely no idea that Weta would be doing weapon replicas and has no idea what they are making until they announce it. Same for Noble. It's unfortunate that the same license was granted to several companies, but that's they way the cards were dealt.
KRDS

Kit, are you allowed to comment why UC plays their cards so close to their chest? Is this a mandate from New Line/Warners, or is it their own internal policy? I fully understand why Weta gets to reveal things first, it makes all the sense in the world, but would UC not benefit from giving us a bit more advance notice as to what is coming down the pipe from them in order to retain our business and not buy the same replicas from other companies first?
This Space for Rent

I can't speak for United, but I do know all of the licensees are restricted to set announcements dates. They can't say anything yet.

As someone who has worked on licensed replicas going on 25 years now, I can tell you that they are e xp ensive, require large guarantees of sales, money up font, and huge investments in tooling and inventory. As a collector I want to know what all of the options are ASAP, but if I were the one footing the bill - I would not let a competitor be aware of what I am making or not making until I am a few months away from shipping. But that is just me.
KRDS

Thanks for shedding some light on this mystery. Again, it makes perfect sense, but I think valid arguments can be made for both sides. Let's imagine UC has already spent a ton of cash and R&D time on Tauriel's daggers, for example, and now comes the announcement from Weta that theirs is nearly ready and on the way. UC now has to consider either withdrawing from the project and wasting all that investment, or forge ahead and try to make their announcement in time before everyone and their dog buys Weta's version. It's a risky business indeed. :|
This Space for Rent

There is a point of no return, for example - if tooling has already been started you can't exactly stop at that point since a huge cost investment has already been made, although I have seen it happen with other companies I have worked with before. One large company in particular paid close to 60k in tooling costs for a video game replica then scrapped it.

Polyresin or fiberglass replicas do not have high tooling costs, so those are easier to cancel or reschedule.

Regarding Weta's Tauriel daggers - those are Pulyurethane prop replicas, so I don't see them really affecting the sales of a real steel version so much. Sure they take away collector dollars, but that's not the same as if Noble were doing the same item - and they may be. I have no idea.
KRDS

Kit , it was you a while back whom said that the Deathless sword would be too costly and heavy to make in steel right , I know I read it , just can't find it . And thank you for all your insight on the process of how things are done . I am looking forward to seeing what UC has planned for DOS as well as any new LOTR items .

Also in regards to Tauriel's daggers , since WETA has October stated as their order dates , I am going to hope that they are one of the first things UC posts from the new movie :thumbs_up

We will just have to wait and see :)

As far as Noble and UC doing the same items , I will not purchase Noble over UC , never have and never will ! ! Kit's work on the replicas will keep me buying from UC , I have always been a fan of his fantasy work . I do have Noble items , but only the items that UC did not make such as the Crown of King Elessar and Bilbo's Deed of Contract .
Last edited by Magneticone on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Weta Workshop”