Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

Idril wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:56 pm Ditto I’m afraid. I don’t think I’ll be ordering it even. And I pushed fir this for 5 years.

I’m thinking my collecting days really are over. Nothing since Treebeard and Thranduil on Throne has quickened my breath. Maybe a new phase of my life. I have been selling some stuff but now - starting to think it all might go except the stuff the kids want. ….. mixed feelings.

I knew the price was surprisingly low. Didn’t think they would omit the water. I guess the OE also helps.

Time to move on.
I'm still pretty satisfied with my collection, such as it is.
I love Indy's Red Book and Maps, and John Lowe's things (Round Arkenstone, Galadriel phial, Silmarils, and Blue Palantir [and N2's plinth for it]).
Also the Isildur scroll. And my JH rings (which I will probably be buried with)
Environments: Bag End OE, Black (pre-ruin) Orthanc, Imladris, and the New Argonath (soon) .
People Statues: Dernhelm facing off with The witch king, Bilbo (soon), Isildur contemplating the Ring. And of course, Treebeard.
And the weapons, mostly swords. I might let Aragorn's Elven knife go, and Bard's sword.
But Still like Bo's horn and I love his sword.
But I don't have bows and arrows, and not even all of Gimli's Axes.
Serioulsy doubt that I'll pick up any more swords, even the MC carbon steel ones.**
No interest in Denethor's sword, or Faramir's or Theodred's.
Andrew's Helms (3) I'm hanging onto.
Not certain about hanging onto either the Elendil or Isildur helms (UC original ones, not the new ones).
Space is always a consideration and even with some re-arranging I've pretty well hit the limit.

**Have to amend that statement. If UC ever comes out with a book accurate Orcrist (and the description in the book is scanty at best) I would consider it, to go along with Sting and Glamdring. But it would have to look like a sword and not that current UC, ummm, thing that has the same name.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Idril wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:56 pm Ditto I’m afraid. I don’t think I’ll be ordering it even. And I pushed fir this for 5 years.

I’m thinking my collecting days really are over. Nothing since Treebeard and Thranduil on Throne has quickened my breath. Maybe a new phase of my life. I have been selling some stuff but now - starting to think it all might go except the stuff the kids want. ….. mixed feelings.

I knew the price was surprisingly low. Didn’t think they would omit the water. I guess the OE also helps.

Time to move on.
This post makes me incredibly sad in ways I can't put into words.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

I have noticed an ‘I’m over the movies ’ feeling in me growing and growing. I still love the books and something that evokes Tolkien and not Peter Jackson is still an interest to me.

I see Andrew did some scale estimates on the trees and door. This actually makes me like it more. In the book, the trees were of immense size - something that didn’t come across in the PJ world.

As for Val’s comment on fou re the writing - I prefer it this way. More natural for old stone cut writing. Not the neon almost flashing stuff we got in the movie.

See what I mean. The movies are really starting to grate on me.

Idril wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:18 pm I have noticed an ‘I’m over the movies ’ feeling in me growing and growing. I still love the books and something that evokes Tolkien and not Peter Jackson is still an interest to me....
Have to agree. I got over the movies years ago.
Oh, there are sequences in each of the three [extended editions] that perfectly capture Tolkien's vision, and I will replay those parts again and again.
But I haven't watched the movies in their entirety, separately or sequentially, in I don't know how many years...10 at least.
Yet I read the books beginning to end about once every 12-18 months.
All my collectibles evoke in my imagination Tolkien's ME, not PJ's.
Even the few items that were not in the books (e.g., Blue Palantir, Strider Sword) still transport me to the ME of JRRT (which is why I will hang onto them for the foreseeable future).

Just visited the FoU forum to see all the comments about Weta's DoD....
I had forgotten that Dr Malcolm had already made his and was taking orders long before Weta announced its version.
If I were set on getting the Doors I'd definitely go with Dr Malcolm's (if he were willing to re-open the ordering).
Apparently quite a number of people who had pre-ordered his are sticking with it. Good choice!

So... $499? Any takers?

I think I will pick it up, but not for quite some time... got three other items on payments, and with a shipping date a year away, there's no rush. I'd like to see what they have in store for us next year too.

I feel like I stepped in big doo-doo over at the FoU thread for this environment by voicing my disagreement with a couple of individuals that label any criticism whatsoever of Weta as 'negativity'. Doesn't seem to matter if the criticisms are warranted or not. Thankfully, most people seemed to share my sentiment. It's tiresome at times, and I'm ever so grateful I can come here to breathe a bit. :embarasse
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:51 pm So... $499? Any takers?...
I didn't notice if N2 said anything at the FoU Forum about getting it....and he hasn't spoken up over here either.
So, N2, are you going to get it?
(As I said concerning myself...easy pass)

I'm holding off right now on tDoD as well. The size is decent and I actually have space for it, but $499 seems a bit much to me. I guess I was hoping it would have been $399. I too have Bilbo in Bagend, Sauron and the Argonath on order and we still have the newer Bagend to probably come next month and any surprises they decide to pull out in December for the actual anniversary date.

I have also noticed that the production scheduled dates are getting longer and longer, if they keep up the continued anniversary releases for each movie it will push things out like 2+ years from pre-order to shipping.

N2darkness wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:07 pm ... we still have the newer Bagend to probably come next month and any surprises they decide to pull out in December for the actual anniversary date.
WHA-AAAAATTT??? A newer Bag End??!!

What are you talking about? What have I missed???

Thanks Buckeye. I totally missed that discussion (but I don't frequent FoU real often).
Soooooo.... I think I'm pretty happy with my OE of Bag End, with the Party Tree.
And the only part of B-E interior that matters to me, I've already ordered: Bilbo at his desk.
So whatever the new one looks like, it's a pass for me.

Weta has discovered another cash cow, to wit, the never ending revision/enlarging/"improving" of older environments.
What is next? A bigger (and lit up) Orthanc? Ditto for Rivendell?
A lit up Minas Tirith with working trebuchets?
(As you can see, I've noticed that Weta has apparently discovered that LEDs can be used in sculptures... :rolleye: )

omg....it just occurred to me...! What if, WHAT IF they do another MC Treebeard where the eyes light up and kind of,sort of shift from deep greenish-brown to not-so-deep brownish-green???!! :O

Yeah, I'm afraid you're right as to their new strategy.

I'm of split mind on this because on the one hand I can see the appeal for those of us that missed out on originals like the Argonath and always felt it should be bigger anyways, and on the other hand, the feeling of uniqueness and special feeling that goes with that first piece fades when it becomes a common thing in many different sizes and flavours.

Many are already clamouring for a bigger Barad-dur (as an example of several) and I can only shake my head as I know they're clearly speaking from the perspective of someone that has never seen one. The thing is frickin huge already, and other than making the lava glow and adding an eye glows too with LEDs (yes, another thing they've discovered), i don't think that's a piece that should be revisited, but hey, they gotta figure out ways to keep milking the cow!
This Space for Rent

I've never been an environment collector . . . until this year, I only had one (Rohan Golden Hall) and though I love the detail, I was disappointed in the size. The new, larger Argonath was an instant purchase and I think this new Bag End may be as well. It's absolutely gorgeous.

With all of the items I currently have on pre-order, my credit card is weeping.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Valkrist wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:58 am Hey Deimos, now that the new Bag End has been revealed, are you going to eat your words? :crazy:

Seriously though, you gotta admit that despite what you said, it must be tempting on some level. I'm all in if the price isn't too much to handle.
Hi Val...send me a link to it please. I haven't seen it (yet).

Thanks Buckeye (I think...because.....)
OMG...it even has the Party Tree (I thought someone said it wasn't going to have the P-T)
Damn....that does look good.
And I don't even have a [serious] "space-for-it" problem because I can immediately give the OE B-E to the same young lady to whom I gave the Green Dragon Environment. Granted, it's larger, but I'll just move a few books over to make room for it.
Damn.
And I just got a $500 cheque in the mail from the junior college where I take my WW class.
(Seems to be Covid related tuition refund of some sort...not even a credit for future classes, but an actual check...for real money.
It's not even for a canceled class; I'm currently taking the class --2 classes actually-- but for some reason the tuition was refunded)
So...Damn.
And pre-order is 6 days away, right? So what are some of the price predictions over at FoU....under $1000 (USD)?
Damn.

If anyone said the Party Tree wouldn't be there, it was probably only based on speculation due to the projected size. Clearly Weta decided it would be included and I'm happy they did.

As for price, yeah, it's all over the place at the moment, but that's nothing new. Yeah, my prediction is hovering around the $999 mark.
This Space for Rent

I've decided to pass on it.
It's magnificent; they got everything right about it.
If someone gave it to me I'd keep it, unlike some other environments which I would keep the requisite amount of time (to be polite) and then sell.
But I have a BE that I still like, it fits on the shelf right now, and I just can't justify the money, which btw I do have, even if the price were $1499.
Believe me, if I had no BE at all, I would jump on this in the same way I did the Argonath.
But I've gotten a little bit more circumspect about what I acquire in my *ahem* [approaching?] twilight years.
So to all here who decide to order it, congratulations...it is a very grand environment and you shall be very happy with it. :cheers:

Arwyniel wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:49 am But... technically this is just the tree that grows on top of his house, it's not the actual PT...that is much bigger and grows down the way. (You see it when looking out from the front door.)
DOH!

Right you are! That is indeed not the Party Tree, it's merely the one that grows at the top of the hill and Bag End. Completely different tree! I blame Deimos for the confusion. :laugh:

(Can't believe i didn't catch that.) :oops:
This Space for Rent

Arwyniel wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:49 am But... technically this is just the tree that grows on top of his house, it's not the actual PT...that is much bigger and grows down the way. (You see it when looking out from the front door.)

I was just going to refer that, thinking I've missed a proper Party Tree release somewhere!
I really like this environment, it seems to be the 'definitive' Bag-End! But will the price justify it?...

Valkrist wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:12 am
DOH!

Right you are! That is indeed not the Party Tree, it's merely the one that grows at the top of the hill and Bag End. Completely different tree! I blame Deimos for the confusion. :laugh:

(Can't believe i didn't catch that.) :oops:
All that you say is true.
However, (there is always a 'however'), since there is no way the Party Tree can be a part of any Bag End environment without making the whole thing absolutely huge, (and give Weta time because it just might do that :rolleye: ), I'd like to think of the generic oak tree as a "Party Tree by proxy".
It can serve as a reminder of the real thing. It does for me, anyway. (Channeling TBBT: Collectio mea, regulae meae)

Just looked at the new Bag End again.
Really, it is a wonderfully made rendition of BE.
But I'm not going back on my previous "pass".
I have B-E already, and it will do just fine. :cheers:

Deimos wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:16 pm Just looked at the new Bag End again.
Yes, it is really wonderful, which makes it all the more difficult of a decision.

N2, not sure of you've chimed in at FoU. Are you going for it?
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:24 pm
Deimos wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:16 pm Just looked at the new Bag End again.
Yes, it is really wonderful, which makes it all the more difficult of a decision.

N2, not sure of you've chimed in at FoU. Are you going for it?
Due to the overall width and price I'm going to "pass" as well. And the fact that they are also offering an OE Bag End HoHo, I'll just get that eventually when it hits a sale as they always do.

The light up features on this and even the Door of Durin is kind of lost on me. How often are you ever going to turn it on? 2 or 3 times in the entire time you have it? Unless you find a way to integrate them into your display cabinet with the wiring somehow and can turn them all on with one switch.

N2darkness wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:59 pm The light up features on this and even the Door of Durin is kind of lost on me. How often are you ever going to turn it on?
The Doors of Durin could be an always-on thing, but those light up environments would be best to wire up to an outlet and have everything on a master switch. The lighting I put behind the Arkenstone in my Thror on Throne statue is switched by my entertainment center power strip. Whenever I am in my living room with the tv or music on, the stone is always lit up with a color changing LED bulb. I'm about to wire up the crystal in my Gandalf Moria staff the same way. That will have a daylight sensor to switch it off during the day.
KRDS

Buckeye wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:34 pm Well, that Bag End price is a kick in the gut. Likely a hard pass for me now.
My resolve is seriously wavering. I don't have a Bag End in my collection and this new one is gorgeous. I also just figured out an ideal location for it that would make the light feature easy, place it high enough to enjoy looking in the front door, and have space beside it for the CE Bilbo at his desk.

The willpower battle may be lost. :crazy:

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:34 pm

My resolve is seriously wavering. I don't have a Bag End in my collection and this new one is gorgeous. I also just figured out an ideal location for it that would make the light feature easy, place it high enough to enjoy looking in the front door, and have space beside it for the CE Bilbo at his desk.

Yeah, I know all about that particular battle... but there's a few other things in my other hobby that are demanding my attention right now, and they are not cheap. Much as I want to, I just don't think I can do it, though these last three days are going to be agonizing. :(
This Space for Rent

Buckeye wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:40 pm
Buckeye wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:34 pm Well, that Bag End price is a kick in the gut. Likely a hard pass for me now.

As I said, if I didn't have Bag End already (and NOT a mini one), I'd jump on this one.
You don't have any Bag End. If you can swing the financial end of it then go for it.
Or, wait until someone unloads the earlier (smaller) version --either the original LE or the OE-- on ebay (there are bound to be collectors getting ready to do just that) and get one of those.

More good news! I just received my shipping notification and tracking number for the MC Escape Off the Road. I'll try to be patient while the box makes its nearly week-long journey to me in Virginia.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:55 pm More good news! I just received my shipping notification and tracking number for the MC Escape Off the Road. I'll try to be patient while the box makes its nearly week-long journey to me in Virginia.
Wow... nothing for ages and now everything is arriving. I'm going to bet that whatever ship Weta's stuff was on has finally made it through the backlog shipping mess that the LA port has been these past two years.
This Space for Rent

I also received a "heads up" shipping notice for the Bilbo statue.
All it said was: your order is arriving to our local US shipping hub and will be ready to dispatch over the next few weeks!
That still gives me a bit of time to:
1) Clear some space for it, and
2) Find the dang shoehorn :rolleye:

Deimos wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:36 pm I also received a "heads up" shipping notice for the Bilbo statue.
All it said was: your order is arriving to our local US shipping hub and will be ready to dispatch over the next few weeks!
Same, though it means little since I have to drive south... way south... to get mine.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:58 pm
Deimos wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:36 pm I also received a "heads up" shipping notice for the Bilbo statue.
Same, though it means little since I have to drive south... way south... to get mine.
That means I get to drive north, way north to get you yours :cheers:

So...another notice from Weta about the Bilbo Statue....
The statue is on its way to the Seattle warehouse, and my CC will be charged for the balance around 4 March.
AND... they have posted the shipping cost.

Just so you can see how this has been altered (as has much else) by the pandemic:
Treebeard shipped in 2 boxes (one of which was humongous, well over 24 inches high) and the total shipping cost to AZ was $100.
Bilbo will be in one box (I'm assuming) and probably smaller than the larger of the two Treebeard boxes, and the shipping cost to AZ is $83.
That is not an overly high shipping price per se, but just comparing it to the 2 box Treebeard ship cost, it illustrates just how much those costs have increased in the last 2 years. :-p

I'll happily trade your $100 TB for my $450 TB because, due to the double box, weight, and size, had to come via UPS, which is basically highway robbery disguised as a shipping service.

Just spoke to a friend of mine here in Vancouver who also ordered Bilbo and his shipping will be $150 usd, or roughly $200 cad, so while not too bad, I'm still happy mine is going to Andrew's place for $41 usd. Sure I'll have to spend some gas money, but it will still come in a lot cheaper, and we get a nice little road trip out of it.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:30 pm I'll happily trade your $100 TB for my $450 TB because, due to the double box, weight, and size, had to come via UPS, which is basically highway robbery disguised as a shipping service.

Just spoke to a friend of mine here in Vancouver who also ordered Bilbo and his shipping will be $150 usd, or roughly $200 cad, so while not too bad, I'm still happy mine is going to Andrew's place for $41 usd. Sure I'll have to spend some gas money, but it will still come in a lot cheaper, and we get a nice little road trip out of it.
ooooooo...you will get to see... "The Desk"! :O

Deimos wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:44 pm
Sadly, no, as we agreed to meet halfway in the state somewhere. We're doing one of those back alley shady deals where Andrew is wearing a trench coat and sunglasses and as discretely as possible, hands me over this ginormous box when no one is looking. :crazy:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:01 pm
Deimos wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:44 pm
Sadly, no, as we agreed to meet halfway in the state somewhere. We're doing one of those back alley shady deals where Andrew is wearing a trench coat and sunglasses and as discretely as possible, hands me over this ginormous box when no one is looking. :crazy:
Oh, wow. That is too bad.
Wait...WAIT!!!
Doesn't he have a truck? Ask him to bring it with him! (jk.... :crazy: :cd: )

Valkrist wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:30 pm I'll happily trade your $100 TB for my $450 TB because, due to the double box, weight, and size, had to come via UPS, which is basically highway robbery disguised as a shipping service.

With gas hitting 2$ a litre right now it might have been cheaper the have it shipped to Vancouver!

Return to “Weta Workshop”