Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

N2darkness wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:15 am I ordered this so quickly! Can't wait! Actually made of glass as well with the ability to fill it with anything you want.
Nice! I have John Lowe's version of the phial and love it, but I think I'll also pick up this one.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:08 am Finally, an accurate Phial of Galadrial replica. I never thought this would happen.
What were the inaccuracies wit the NC one?
I don't have it...I have John Lowe's version which was copied from the NC one.
But neither the NC one nor the Weta one have the "glow-y liquid" that John's has.
And I think 'll just stick with the JLversion, which btw, is also glass.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:04 pm What were the inaccuracies wit the NC one?
But neither the NC one nor the Weta one have the "glow-y liquid" that John's has.
Literally everything. The overall shape was wrong, and there are no deep grooves down the sides of the prop. They are supposed to be pillowed ridges, not grooves. No metalwork on Nobles, just raised lines for the metal parts. They did not even bother painting them silver. The shape of John's was even less accurate than Nobles, but at least it was was glass and had some of the metalwork, even though that was not accurate either.

Weta matched everything on the hero prop very closely with their replica. Add an ultraviolet LED to the base and some clear UV blacklight reactive Ink to water in the phial and it's going to be an awesome display piece.
KRDS

Deimos wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:04 pm
Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:08 am Finally, an accurate Phial of Galadrial replica. I never thought this would happen.
What were the inaccuracies wit the NC one?
Here's a side by side of the movie prop on the left and the Noble version on the right and you can see all the differences Kit mentioned.
phial.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I mean... I'm not so critical of the upper half of the NC version as Kit is. The design and pattern of the filigree is pretty much the exact same, it's mainly the spacing and dimensions that differ. The stopper is also a little off. The main obvious difference, of course, is the bottom half.

I know props aren't generally made to last but that one is in poor shape. The metal wire around the neck has completely come loose and is peeling away.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:53 pm Anyone in the market for an NC Phial? :crazy:
I think N2 has the NC one also........market (Ebay) will soon be flooded with NC Phials.

Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:57 pm I mean... I'm not so critical of the upper half of the NC version as Kit is.
Other than there not being any metal color on the metal work, I'm fine with the upper half of NC's replica. It's the rest I don't like.

I think the metalwork on the LOTR prop is actually urethane that was glued on, and has shrunk and peeled over the years. Unfortunately, all the Urethane props will shrink and deform over time.

I looked at the original Weta prop from The Hobbit last night, and I think the Weta replica is more based on that version than the LOTR version. They were practically identical, but the metalwork was a bit nicer on the TH version.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Other than there not being any metal color on the metal work, I'm fine with the upper half of NC's replica. It's the rest I don't like.
I hear you, Kit. As someone who does this for a living, I think your eye is far more discerning and critical than most on the small nuances between prop and replica. :thumbs_up
Deimos wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:52 pm
I think N2 has the NC one also........market (Ebay) will soon be flooded with NC Phials.
He's already sold his. I will be listing mine today. I don't think there will necessarily be a flood, but yeah, the longer I wait, the more likely that a few will begin to pop up. N2, what did yours go for, if I may ask?
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:31 am
Deimos wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:52 pm
He's already sold his. I will be listing mine today. I don't think there will necessarily be a flood, but yeah, the longer I wait, the more likely that a few will begin to pop up. N2, what did yours go for, if I may ask?
Yes, I did sell mine a few days after Weta announced theirs. It sold on Ebay with "buy it now" for $500 + shipping.

N2darkness wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:38 am ...
Yes, I did sell mine a few days after Weta announced theirs. It sold on Ebay with "buy it now" for $500 + shipping.
Uhhhh.... I don't get it.
Weta announces the availability of a screen accurate version of the Phial, and after the announcement your NC version sells for almost 5 times the price of the Weta one??!!
How do you explain that? Do some people really covet the NC version that much?

Deimos wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:51 pm
N2darkness wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:38 am ...
Uhhhh.... I don't get it.
Weta announces the availability of a screen accurate version of the Phial, and after the announcement your NC version sells for almost 5 times the price of the Weta one??!!
How do you explain that? Do some people really covet the NC version that much?
They are rather rare and that's the actual going price for them (at the moment). The Weta announcement was just in quick mention in a live video during the stay at home Comic Con in late July. There was no price mentioned, only that we should hear more in a few months. I just jumped at the opportunity to sell mine while I could knowing that theirs was coming eventually. I also posted it in my stories on Instagram and had a few buyers, but could only complete the transaction via Ebay for payment reasons.

Deimos, don't forget that not everyone that collects these things is in the loop with the releases and announcements by every single company. I'm betting there's a lot of people out there searching for this NC Phial (as I was not so long ago) that have no idea a Weta one is coming, and probably won't until it's released next year and becomes more common knowledge.

The NC one is very rare, but even so, I feel as if I've already missed the boat by only listing mine now.

N2, if you say you had multiple interested parties, would you mind sending them my way? I just listed my Phial on ebay today for the same price as yours.
This Space for Rent

Well some people are going to be mightily miffed when they discover they paid many times over for the non accurate Phial when they finally learn about the Weta one.
Reminds me of the guy that bought the NC Gandalf Staff for about $1600 (USD). Remember that?
And then Weta (or UC , can't recall which...or maybe both companies) comes out with one, that was far FAR under $1600.

It's the nature of the "collection" game....and makes for a good spectator sport too. :laugh:

The next mad dash is going to be the Sword of Isildur. That one goes for a very high price right now too because it's nearly impossible to find, but when UC releases the new one, there's going to be an equal mix of excited and disappointed folks.

I predict the Weta Sauron statue is about to go through the same thing, but that will hold its value ok, I think. I'd sell mine now as I ordered the new one, but the problem then is that I would have no Sauron in my collection for a year. It sucks that in recent years Weta has moved to increasingly longer gaps between pre-orders and shipping dates. I guess it's a model based on having those early orders fund the manufacturing process? They've pretty much become a Kickstart company in that regard.
This Space for Rent

I have to say, I do like the Weta Stand that goes with the Phial.

I wonder if (like Idril wanting to orderthe "Off the Road" Wraith steed as a "stand-alone" ) I can get the Phial Stand as a "Stand-alone"item? :rolleye:
Will have to have her pick me up the stand whenever she travels to NZ for her horse :laugh:

Deimos wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:56 am Congrats.....much of a profit ?(if I may ask)
Thanks.

You know, I want to say yes, but I honestly don't remember. I picked it up off Ebay many years ago, but N2 actually had to buy it and ship it to me because the original seller wouldn't ship to Canada for some reason.

I want to say it was somewhere around the $300 mark, but I can't be positive.
This Space for Rent

Deimos wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:34 am $300...that would be a tidy profit indeed. :thumbs_up
Yes, though there's a weird effect that, depending on how long ago you bought something, if it's far back enough, it all feels like a profit. Does that make sense?

Like, I feel it's close to 8 years since I bought that Phial, so that money is so long gone, you don't really see the sale after as recovering some of that. Mathematically, yes, but otherwise, nope... I feel as if I've made $475 from scratch, and I like that. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:35 am
Deimos wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:34 am $300...that would be a tidy profit indeed. :thumbs_up
Yes, though there's a weird effect that, depending on how long ago you bought something, if it's far back enough, it all feels like a profit. Does that make sense?

Like, I feel it's close to 8 years since I bought that Phial, so that money is so long gone, you don't really see the sale after as recovering some of that. Mathematically, yes, but otherwise, nope... I feel as if I've made $475 from scratch, and I like that. :thumbs_up
Yep, makes sense.
Emotionally I react the same way when, as you say, the acquisition is far enough in the past.
However, the bookkeeping side of my brain always knows the real score, but it also knows when to shut up. :laugh:

I’ll store that comment in the back of my mental palace then Deimos for when I’m over there.

I too love the stand and have ordered it. I wouldn’t say no to a second stand even if it was a bit damaged.

All this selling of the Noble one makes me think about selling mine. Having 4 versions is a bit silly even though I’m not so screen accurate minded as all you guys. I prefer JLs to NC. I think I’ll sell the NC one but I do like the stand with that too.

Idril wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:22 am I’ll store that comment in the back of my mental palace then Deimos for when I’m over there.
I was just kidding...I mean, I do like the stand, but was kidding about you picking one up.
A stand may show up on ebay at some point...
Idril wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:22 am ....All this selling of the Noble one makes me think about selling mine. Having 4 versions is a bit silly even though I’m not so screen accurate minded as all you guys. I prefer JLs to NC. I think I’ll sell the NC one but I do like the stand with that too.
Four versions? (1)Noble, (2) John's, (3) Weta.
What is the fourth one of which you speak-eth?

Idril wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:20 pm JL’s gold version.
I didn't know he had a gold version. It's not mentioned on his website.
Did you commission it, or was it just a limited offering?
And can you post a pic of it?

One thing I've learned about Idril over the years is her magical ability to own certain collectibles that us mere mortals can only dream of, and those whose existence was heretofore unknown, such as the aforementioned golden Phial.

She knows people in high places, and what she wants, she gets...

'Nuff said. :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

Says the guy who has the Peacock quiver and Aeglos and Boromir’s shield. :lol:

The latter won’t sting so much one day when I get BB’s shield. Seems the amount of people wanting Aeglos might mean I can get one from somewhere too.

The golden phial. I’ll email you a pic Deimos and you can post it here if people are interested to see it. I don’t have a photo hosting site logon anymore. John created it as a limited Ed. I think mine is number 17 - so not many. Even I was too late to the party but he made me one specially when I contacted him. Ok Val….. so maybe that is more evidence to your point :)

Idril wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:14 pm Says the guy who has the Peacock quiver and Aeglos and Boromir’s shield. :lol:
Well, the first is thanks to my constant pestering of Polyphemus, who finally caved and sold me the quiver. As for the other two items, I guess I owe that to the incredible luck of living close enough to N2, as well as being a benefactor of his immense generosity, friendship, and talent. Not like you don't know your share of talented folks, and let's not forget you have half the people at Weta in your pocket.

"Oh, I'd really love a Thranduil on Throne one day," she says with an innocent blush and a giggle. :inlove:

Some time later... "SURPRISE!!!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:14 pm ...

The golden phial. I’ll email you a pic Deimos and you can post it here if people are interested to see it. I don’t have a photo hosting site logon anymore. John created it as a limited Ed. I think mine is number 17 - so not many. Even I was too late to the party but he made me one specially when I contacted him. ...
Thank you.
I have to admit that it surprises me that you bought a gold trimmed Phial. It is neither movie nor canon accurate.
Such details never bothered John of course.
He likes to make things and also "mix things up" so I can well imagine him thinking, "I wonder what the thing will look like with gold trim. "
Even had I been aware of it I would not have bought one. Am very happy with his original Phial.
But I do want to see what it looks like.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:15 pm
Idril wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:14 pm Says the guy who has the Peacock quiver and Aeglos and Boromir’s shield. :lol:
Well, the first is thanks to my constant pestering of Polyphemus, who finally caved and sold me the quiver. As for the other two items, I guess I owe that to the incredible luck of living close enough to N2, as well as being a benefactor of his immense generosity, friendship, and talent. Not like you don't know your share of talented folks, and let's not forget you have half the people at Weta in your pocket.

"Oh, I'd really love a Thranduil on Throne one day," she says with an innocent blush and a giggle. :inlove:

Some time later... "SURPRISE!!!" :laugh:
Now that makes me wonder if Idril twisted any arms to get the MC Treebeard made....not that a lot of people hadn't already expressed a desire for a show-stopping jaw-dropping Treebeard.
Still, one wonders what degree of influence she has.... (pictures perhaps? damning emails?.... :laugh: )

Lol. You may all be crediting me with a bit too much influence with the Weta boys. Yes, we have had a few dinners and they do love my enthusiasm for their ideas. They also like to hear my ideas and ‘pick my old timer collector brain’.

Hmmm…. Yes I was responsible for Thranduil on Throne. I will give you that. I continued to push it after they released Thror on Throne. But I can’t claim anything on the design or the size. I was invited over to give an opinion on it when they had a prototype and I regret not going now. Anyway… I love love love the guard and the antlers on that throne have got to be seen to be believed.

As for Treebeard - Dan knows I love Ents. I have numerous books that Dan has signed and a signed poster he sent me for xmas once with an ent drawn on it. If he asks what I’d like him to draw beside his sig - I always say an Ent. So nice of him and he is the ultimate gentleman. Last time I was there he gave me a pencil drawing of an Ent wife. A few years ago when he spoke about Treebeard, I mentioned how I was going to bring the bust for him to sign. But when I went to bring it I remembered how the bust doesn’t separate from the base. I didn’t want to risk damaging it so left it at home. His comment “you might not regret that in a couple of years anyway”. I didn’t pick up on it. You really have to listen carefully when he gets on a roll cause there is always little hints dropped accidentally or perhaps he just loves to see the curious looks on people’s faces as they try to work out what the underlying meaning is.

Anyway, thankfully we got our Treebeard everyone. When they first made it, it was a few inches shorter than the final product. They decided to make it larger and hit the true 1/6 size. So yeah, as you all remember how excited I was for that SDCC reveal, I was in on that one.

And……… much the same as with Thranduil on Throne for my next ‘Dont stop talking about it till they make it’ project. It will be released before Xmas. It is an environment and I am just about as excited for it as for Treebeard - well nearly. Dan and I have spoken about ideas for it for about 5 years so a long wait. But he has personally confirmed with me in the last couple of months, it will be revealed for the 20th anniversary of FotR.

:horseback

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Idril wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:42 am Lol. You may all be crediting me with a bit too much influence with the Weta boys. Yes, we have had a few dinners and they do love my enthusiasm for their ideas. They also like to hear my ideas and ‘pick my old timer collector brain’.
Speaking of friends in high places... and all joking aside, I know this is a long shot, but... I don't know if you've followed the LOTR 4K discussion over at FoU at all, but the upcoming set release was rumoured to have a collectible(s?) attached to it, but it seems very clear now from the previews that there is no such a thing. In fact, the whole "Ultimate Set" is looking like a very lame duck indeed. Most of us assumed that if there was going to be a collectible, that Weta would be the one to come up with it.

So, before I give up on it altogether and begin the super-annoying and difficult hunt for the 4K Steelbook (unobtainable in Canada via retail or Amazon) set released last year, is there anyone you could ask over at Weta whether they had any involvement in this set release, and if yes, if that included working on an exclusive collectible for it? They don't have to tell you what it is, only if there is one.

Regardless of your answer, thank you. :)
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:15 am
Speaking of friends in high places... and all joking aside, I know this is a long shot, but... I don't know if you've followed the LOTR 4K discussion over at FoU at all, but the upcoming set release was rumoured to have a collectible(s?) attached to it, but it seems very clear now from the previews that there is no such a thing. In fact, the whole "Ultimate Set" is looking like a very lame duck indeed. Most of us assumed that if there was going to be a collectible, that Weta would be the one to come up with it.

So, before I give up on it altogether and begin the super-annoying and difficult hunt for the 4K Steelbook (unobtainable in Canada via retail or Amazon) set released last year, is there anyone you could ask over at Weta whether they had any involvement in this set release, and if yes, if that included working on an exclusive collectible for it? They don't have to tell you what it is, only if there is one.

Regardless of your answer, thank you. :)
Answer is no - a missed opportunity. Weta approached Warners and all they got was radio silence. Due to COVID Warners have reduced a lot of staff apparently.

Idril wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:25 pm Answer is no - a missed opportunity. Weta approached Warners and all they got was radio silence. Due to COVID Warners have reduced a lot of staff apparently.
Bummer. :'(

Not the answer I hoped for, but it was the answer I expected. It seems COVID has reduced a lot more than staff around the world - the intelligence of the human race has also dropped sharply. They didn't have one person at WB that could have picked up a phone or answered an email? All that was required was a simple decision and zero labour on their part.

Ah well.

Ok, good to know. I may end up biting the bullet on the new set then, painful on the eyes as it is. The cheapest I can find the Steelbook duo on eBay is $325 USD, but then there's shipping and taxes. I may despise a lot about the Hobbit trilogy but it wouldn't feel right not having the complete matching set. Anyone know what these things cost originally? Hard to gauge if $325 is a decent price for both or not.

Nevermind, Bestbuy US has them in stock and listed for $119.99 apiece, so $240 total, which is a long ways from $325...
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:53 pm Not the answer I hoped for, but it was the answer I expected. It seems COVID has reduced a lot more than staff around the world
That downsizing was happening at WB long before Covid. They have not exactly been a hit factory in recent years, and the hit to their pocketbook last year did not help. This project required a lot of $$$, which I assume they did not have any interest (or available $$$) to invest in. I am hoping the payoff to their investment in the Snyder cut of JL will change their tune in the future, but - I think are other reasons they may be a bit sour on LOTR at the moment...
KRDS

Idril wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:00 pm I don’t even remember what they looked like. Can you share a link please.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-lord-o ... Id=6420422

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-hobbit ... Id=6420421
Nasnandos wrote: I think are other reasons they may be a bit sour on LOTR at the moment...
Care to elaborate? Does it have something to do with the Amazon series? Nothing really to do with PJ and Weta in that case, just the IP.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:53 pm
TMcLim wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:56 pm
Valkrist wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:38 pm And... sold! :coolsmile

$475
Nice I have seen one on ebay at 299 and struggling to sell.

Really?!? Wow. Maybe it was missing the stand or the display box? Mine had those, plus the original packaging box. Only thing missing was the little COA card.
Damn! Just think, had the COA been included you probably could have cleared maybe $900!!! :crazy:

Honestly, I'm not even sure the buyer was aware. I didn't list it in the description, but the buyer didn't mention it, so I didn't either. He tried to offer me $375 and I told him to try another. We eventually settled on the $475, which was only $25 down from my original asking price. He tried to get shipping included, and again, no way, Jose.
This Space for Rent

Striders_Heir wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:12 pm
Valkrist wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:53 pm Nevermind, Bestbuy US has them in stock and listed for $119.99 apiece, so $240 total, which is a long ways from $325...
Do you want me to keep an eye out for you for the set during Black Friday? That seems to be exactly the set that will hit $69-79 around the end of November.
That would be sweet, but...

I half-jokingly asked someone over at FoU if they would pick me up a set since he mentioned he was going to go get one for himself from the local Best Buy (he's in North Carolina), and he agreed. I did ask him to check with me before buying, but I would probably go through with it because it is a Limited Edition release and I don't know how many of these things are still kicking around in stores. Not sure if waiting for Black Friday, which is when the remaining stock will disappear quickly, is a good idea? What do you think? Obviously it's my decision and no skin off your back. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Well, the Doors of Durin will be up for ordering soon (Open Edition, it looks like), but I'm disappointed by the presentation of the piece, mainly due to the lack of water. There is but the tiniest sliver visible, and given all the promotional art photos showing the reflection of the lit doors in the water, it feels like a cruel bait-and-switch at this point.

On the fence about ordering now, but probably will if I can get over my disappointment.
This Space for Rent

I was never completely sold on it, even with the teaser pics. But I thought the water w/ reflection was a nice touch.
Now that I've seen the whole thing, well, I'm underwhelmed to say the least. :huh: I flat out won't be ordering it.
I'd rather the money go to paying for Bilbo and the Argonath, both of which imo (and if one has to make such decisions) are preferable to have in my small collection of statues and environments.
Last edited by Deimos on Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ditto I’m afraid. I don’t think I’ll be ordering it even. And I pushed fir this for 5 years.

I’m thinking my collecting days really are over. Nothing since Treebeard and Thranduil on Throne has quickened my breath. Maybe a new phase of my life. I have been selling some stuff but now - starting to think it all might go except the stuff the kids want. ….. mixed feelings.

I knew the price was surprisingly low. Didn’t think they would omit the water. I guess the OE also helps.

Time to move on.

Return to “Weta Workshop”