Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

Valkrist wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:10 am
Nasnandos wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:58 am I just got a notice that Haldir has shipped.
Still nothing for me. :'(

Kit, has your Haldir order on the Weta site actually changed from 'Processing' to 'Shipped'? As I am not confident that I will get a shipping notice, I'm wondering if there are any other clues that the boxes have shipped. A number of people are reporting that their stuff is just showing up unannounced.

Also, what do you think of the new Treebeard? Will you be getting one?
No, just a shipping notice email, but all that really means is they printed a shipping label at this point. I usually get the shipment about 10 days later, except for the Smaug debacle where it simply never shipped and took two months of emails to get Weta to do something about it.

Treebeard is awesome, but I don't know where I would put it. The Thrandy-Moose took up my center spot at home, but I have one spot in my office I could display it. The wife already gave her approval, but it all depends on the price.
KRDS

I wouldn't be surprised if my stuff isn't shipped much later. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, but sometimes they ship the Canada orders right away, and other times we get them well after US customers. It's extra annoying because the warehouse is literally 3 hours away from my house by car, but instead of sending it over ground or to the Seattle or Bellingham airports which are super close by, they send everything down to San Francisco, only to then have to send it back up to Canada. I swear I will never understand postal logistics. They keep increasing delivery costs because of rising fuel prices, then they bounce a box all over the continent by the longest route possible because that doesn't waste any fuel at all... right. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

I got home from a business trip today to find some Weta goodies waiting for me to unbox. Haldir and the Gandalf pipe staff.

Haldir is very well done. Great sculpt and paint job. the fit of the metal part of the sword is a bit loose, so I'm going to glue that in place, but otherwise, an excellent piece from Weta.

The staff casting itself is very well done. Slightly more detail than United's replica, and it includes the G rune, but the coloring is a bit off from what it looks like in the film and my prop photos. The brown color is more on the warm side rather than the cool grey/brown tint on the United version I worked on, but it looks good. The pipe is really well done too. Very different shape than the UC version. More like The Hobbit prop. The spike is a very different shape than United's too. The leather hand strap is so-so, but I really like the tobacco pouch.

Now the bad news - I inserted the pipe in the staff, but it stopped with the bowl high above the crown, not down in the crown like it does in the movie. I forced it down and got it to rest a bit lower. It does not seat down as far as the United replica, but close enough. Unfortunately, its so tight the paint scraped off the pipe. Then I tried the spike and it only goes about halfway in the hole! It's going to take some sanding and repainting of the staff to make those pieces fit, unfortunately. I was expecting something at least as good or better than the replica I had worked on, so that was a downer.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:46 am I'm sure you've mentioned before, but no Eomer for you, Kit?
I was waiting to see if any sales came up for that one, but I guess that's not going to happen. I need to go ahead and order it. I'll regret it later if I don't.

Here are some pix. Gandalf pipe and spike first. Top pipe is the Vauen replica (which is not very accurate), then United, then Weta. The top spike is the Weta, bottom United.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Weta pipe staff compared to United. That's my modified United staff on the right, with the G rune and handle strap added.

Weta's spike does not look like the one in FOTR. I wonder if that is the spike from The Hobbit? Weta's pipe seats up higher (when jammed down) than United's, which is more accurate to where it rests in the movie. Weta's pipe bowl has a point on the bottom, and is angled a little less than the one I made. The bowl had a point on the bottom in some scenes, and had a rounded bottom in others, so I suppose either one is correct.

EDIT - I was asked if there was a wall mount included with the Weta staff - no
Last edited by Nasnandos on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
KRDS

Thanks for the pics, Kit, especially of the tobacco pouch. I've gleaned some great info from the images and plan to revisit my prototype accordingly.

There seem to be several unnecessary short seams. That's truly odd because they don't actually contribute to the construction of the pouch. I also see they've used slits rather than punches for the drawcord to pass through . . . and that the cord itself runs primarily on the *exterior* of the pouch, which is unexpected (and rather illogical, but works). I will try both methods with my next prototype.

Kit, could you please tell me diameter of the leather circle and the distance between the pairs of drawcord slits? I'm curious about whether the measurements I used for my prototype were correct (I believe they are).

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

The diameter of the leather looks to have been around 11" before they added those side seams. The seams do help stay in more of a "bowl" shape when it is opened all the way. The distance between the pairs of drawstring slits is 1 1/2", and about 1/4" between each pair.

The cord does not really match this -

But it does look like this -
Last edited by Nasnandos on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Yes, thanks for the comparison photos Kit! looks like I'm more than fine with the UC version. May pick up just the pipe from Weta though. Curious, does the Weta pipe fit into the UC staff?

Also now makes me wonder if Weta will now get to making the final Gandalf Moria staff next? I'm really glad UC is moving forward with theirs as it will be much cheaper and probably be the only version that will light up.

I suppose it depends on how well this one does. I thought it was odd that they waited so long to do it and priced it so much higher than United's. Most people that wanted it already got it.

I just got the Moria staff sample from United last week. The crystal does not seat as tight into the staff as I would have liked, and I may try to get a warmer LED light rather than the bright white one in the sample, but the crystal master is done. The staff itself looks excellent and that master is essentially done and ready to go too. If Weta is going to do one, they had better hurry!
Last edited by Nasnandos on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:50 pm
N2darkness wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:34 pm Curious, does the Weta pipe fit into the UC staff?
Yes, but VERY loosely. The stem is much too thin, so it rattles around. The Weta spike fits in United's staff too, even better than in the Weta staff, but that spike is really not accurate at all.
That's a little sad, but the pipe will look good on it's own too.

Excellent news on the Moria staff, SOO looking forward to this! It's on the very short list of must haves for my collection. Just need to either make or find a Lothlorien bow, Guthwine and the 3rd Ringwraith sword.

As for the LED for the Moria crystal, can that be easily swapped out or is it being molded into the crystal? My guess is you would have to have some sort of access to change the battery.

N2darkness wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:06 pm
Excellent news on the Moria staff, SOO looking forward to this! It's on the very short list of must haves for my collection. Just need to either make or find a Lothlorien bow, Guthwine and the 3rd Ringwraith sword.
I heard that Herugrim may be getting a reissue next year, as well as Eowyn's sword...and maybe something else to go along with those.
N2darkness wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:06 pm As for the LED for the Moria crystal, can that be easily swapped out or is it being molded into the crystal? My guess is you would have to have some sort of access to change the battery.
The light is basically just an LED flashlight that sits in a cavity under the crystal, so you just turn the staff upside down and it comes out. I hated the built in light and wires running inside the illuminated Hobbit staff, so I did something much simpler and easy to change this time.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:49 pm I heard that Guthwine may be getting a reissue next year, as well as Eowyn's sword...and maybe something else to go along with those.
I'm gonna guess that you meant Herugrim (Theoden's) was getting a reissue as Guthwine (Eomer's) has yet to be made. Indy Magnoli is making headway on his replica though.

But if Eomers sword will get produced by UC it would truly be a dream come true.!

Sorry, I meant Herugrim and Eowyn's sword reissued, and then maybe Guthwine. Nothing is certain yet. It was given the go ahead once before and then cancelled, so it's still a big maybe...When I was helping out on getting reissues of those two rolling a while back, I pointed out that it would be the perfect time to also release the third one, and they want to look in to that again. If the Bard sword sells poorly, I'm sure any enthusiasm for a new LOTR sword will also get put on the back burner, but you never know.
KRDS

Having UC make Guthwine would, indeed, be a dream come true. I'm on the list for Indy's version, but would much prefer to have one from UC. My fingers are crossed that this turns out to be true and it happens.

As for the Moria staff, that is also a must have and an instant purchase for me.

Thanks for the wonderful news, Kit,

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Put me down for Guthwine. Excited that Eowyn’s sword is being considered for rerelease as I missed that sword. Interesting that this could be Herugrims second rerelease though. Hopefully that will encourage UC to invest in Guthwine. I was down on the Indy list back when it was first announced here but I’ve given up all hope. I hope that if UC doesn’t make it then at least Indy might come through for you guys, but I’m no longer personally interested in waiting for him to make it.

I’m down for Bard’s sword as well. Hopefully be picking that up later in the year when it gets released.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Idril wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:38 am Yeah - did your jaw drop open like mine? Or had KIt corrected his post by then.
Kit had already corrected his post but I saw N2's quote of the original, so I totally get the excitement. Even after the correction there's a sliver of hope UC could revisit releasing this sword, hence my encouragement in sending them a signal by buying Bard's sword... or several. ;)
This Space for Rent

I'm pretty sure that Bard's sword will do well as it's already being advertised as a limited run of 600 or so. Even if they stated that with Guthwine being a small run and limited that they would sell through fairly easily. I think Indy's list alone is over 200 people long, so there definitely is some demand from collectors. I'm really not sure if the the reissue of Herugrim alone is enough to gauge interest in Guthwine though. I do know that Eowyn's sword is fetching a fair amount on the aftermarket so it would sell pretty well. Either way I have hope (even if it's a fools hope) that it will see the light of day.

I guess this discussion belongs in the UC thread, but since it's already rolling -

I gave up on Indy getting his made a few years ago, and was not that impressed with the accuracy of what I saw back when it seemed active.

Re-releasing Herugrim is not to gauge Guthwine interest. That was already in the works. There is a very sound logic in releasing Guthwine near when the Herugrim and Eowyn swords are reissued. Sales of Sting, Galmdring, and Anduril have stayed relatively consistent since the original trilogy ended. Especially Anduril. It has literally never slowed down. It's not just those of us that started collecting when the original trilogy started. There are always new people coming into the LOTR collector ranks, or people who missed them first time around, and that's who buys the majority of the reissues and keeps the old items selling. Timing the third sword after the reissues are released will keep the interest in the Rohan set going with the newer collectors, and the internet buzz generated by the re-releases will hopefully get out to the people who already own the originals and want the third. It helps that Weta is doing the Eomer and Royal Guard of Rohan statues now too. We need all the Rohan collector buzz we can get!

It's still just a glimmer of hope at this point, but I never thought they would be re-releasing the other two Rohan swords again, and it seems they are planning on it next year.
N2darkness wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:39 am I'm pretty sure that Bard's sword will do well as it's already being advertised as a limited run of 600 or so.
Who is advertising that Bard's sword is limited to 600? It is not limited or serialized. I hope it sells more than one production run, as it needs to sell around 1200-1400 to make it profitable after tooling and costs are covered.
KRDS

Kit, I think some dealers, including one who is a member here, were told directly by the UC sales department when ordering Bard's sword for their customers that there would only be a single run of 600 of these produced.

Given what you just said in terms of the sales/profit ratio, it's highly likely someone was fed false information... or not? Some are already calling this the Isildur's sword of the Hobbit line for that reason.
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:03 am The first production run is 600, so either that dealer was confused, or United's new rep is. It's been in United's catalog and on their website since late last year, so anyone can see it is not limited. That said, if they bomb, there may very well only be 600 ever made! I hope not.
Well, I received an email from BudK with this photo attached so maybe it was just to start some excitement for the piece or like you said misinformation.

[

I too have my name down with Indy and have given up. But my name is still there on the list.

That is the dilemma though. If Indy gets it together then UC releases one - the Indy sword will be worthless and I’ll still want the UC one.

I hope the decision is easy if the time comes. I hope to end up with the sword- preferably from United.

If we see anything more from Indy on Guthwine, I will be greatly surprised.

He now has absolutely no reason to spend another nano-second or centavo developing his Guthwine.
If he happened to produce one ahead of UC, his would become worthless (as Idril pointed out) as soon as UC produced its licensed version.

An since he has no crystal ball on this matter, he has to wait to see what UC is going to do...and UC may take not a little time in making a decision; waiting maybe until Bezos the Borg starts announcing his production of new (!) stories of ME.
And that is not slated to happen until (I have heard) 2020.

So, come 2020 or thereabouts, UC will have announced a green light (or not) on Guthwine.
If it's no-go, he may decide to resurrect his own Guthwine, because there may be a bigger demand for it at that time, unlike the present demand, (such as it may be called), or he may let it stay buried.

I fervently hope UC gives the go-ahead for a Guthwine.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Idril wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 am So sorry you guys have had such a frustrating time. On a bright note. Buckeye is about to flip as well - but for good reasons.

The first new ROHAN helm for years and years. Theodred !!! is up for pre-order.

https://www.wetanz.com/shop/miniature-g ... e-theodred
I wouldn't have to make any new tools to produce this helm, it's a mix of Eomer, Eowyn, & Theoden pieces.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Deimos wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:48 pm Thanks for looking that up Val.

Just thought of something.
The actor who played Theodred had a pretty easy time of it....
In the first place he had no speaking lines, except for some moaning.
And then he didn't really have to act, if by "acting" we mean engage in some kind of activity.
1) He lay severely injured, more or less motionless, on the battlefield
2) He lay dying, again with little movement, in his bed chamber at Edoras
3) He lay dead on his bier, silent and definitely no movement

(...I wonder how much he got paid for all that.... :laugh: )
He may have not gotten paid at all, or he got paid minimum. It was a cameo role. His name is Grey Horsefeld, works CGI artist for Weta. He was the guy who did the Barad Dur tower collapse.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Deimos wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:42 pm And you would have gotten to wear all that oh-so-cool armour, too. :cheers:
Exact same armour as Theoden's but with green leather instead.

Buckeye, tons of people are complaining about the reins problem with Eomer. Do you have this problem with yours? Feeling very aprehensive about receiving mine now. It will be delivered tomorrow but I won't be able to unbox it until October. Can't believe Weta didn't learn their lesson with Galadriel's arm. After the ToE paint fiasco, it's becoming russian roulette with these statues and it should not be so with the prices we are paying. :angry:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:46 am Buckeye, tons of people are complaining about the reins problem with Eomer. Do you have this problem with yours? Feeling very aprehensive about receiving mine now. It will be delivered tomorrow but I won't be able to unbox it until October. Can't believe Weta didn't learn their lesson with Galadriel's arm. After the ToE paint fiasco, it's becoming russian roulette with these statues and it should not be so with the prices we are paying. :angry:
Val, my Eomer statue is absolutely perfect. the paint, reins, and fit of the various pieces are all excellent. It really does take some finesse to assemble the torso, scabbard, waist together, as it's a bit tricky. The reins only connect in one way and they are stiff / taught as they should be, but are definitely fiddly. My only concern about anything was having to carefully adjust the scabbard belt connector under the rest of the belt at his waist . . . It's a tiny delicate piece that I was afraid might break. In the end all was just fine. Be gentle, though.

I really can't stop staring at this piece. It's an amazing sculpt. :horseback

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

I'm glad you got one that is problem-free, which is doubly nice to hear because it means there are a few out there. Sadly, the majority of them seem to have a problem with the reins being too short. I beat the odds with a perfect Galadriel and a flawless Rivendell. Let's see if I can be three-time lucky with Eomer. I just don't want to deal with Weta CS because it seems they have vanished altogether, with people waiting weeks for any form of acknowledgment. :huh:
This Space for Rent

I got mine yesterday. Everything fits perfectly. The reins are a tight fit, but a bit tighter would not have bothered me. There is a shrinkage tolerance on this material, so it will vary slightly from piece to piece. There is also a shrinkage that occurs with the molds, as they get smaller over time. I still prefer having all these parts separated like they are doing now, as it lessens that chance of something getting broken.

I love the detail on this sculpt.

KRDS

Finally home after 7 weeks.

Got to unbox all my Weta goodies, and I confess to a lot of trepidation doing so given what I've read over at FoU concerning the downward spiral of Weta's QC as of late.

I consider myself quite lucky, all things considered: looking at my collection, I could not single out a piece, old or new, that had a problem when it arrived. Alas, my luck had to run out at some point, though I think the couple of things that I found are quite minor and not worthy of trying to go through the onerous process of returning a statue. The three smaller items were immaculate: #34 Hillside, Theodred and Ringwraith of Forod Helms. Next up was the Torturer of Dol Guldur 1:6. I was concerned when I saw a bunch of paint smudges all over the paper wrapping on the statue, and I know this has been a problem of late with the factory not allowing the paint to dry long enough before shoving these things into a box for shipping. I really wish someone at Weta grew a pair and let whatever factory they are using know that this is simply not acceptable. The number of returned products of late has got to be hurting their bottom line at some point, not to mention their reputation as a company. Luckily, try as I might, I could not detect anywhere on the statue where I saw that the paint had rubbed off. No smears or bare areas. Strange, but I was happy until I found one small and barely noticeable tip of trailing fur at the figure's waist that is broken off. It's probably only about 2mm in length that is missing, and the red paint ends abruptly as it gives way to the white polystone underneath, but due to the angle, this cannot be seen unless you look at the statue from below. Perfect otherwise, so the tiny chip, as much as it sucks, does not warrant a return.

Last was Eomer, and the piece that I was the most excited/dreading about . Four issues that I can see: wobbly base - again, par for the course with Weta these days, not sure why they can't put out a flat base anymore. Next, the rearmost hoof, the one with the metal peg, does not sit flush with the base. Without taking a hammer to force it in, I got it to go as far as I could and it is barely noticeable that there is a gap, but the other two hooves are flush and it won't go in any further. Of the other two problems people are having with this statue, I managed to get the scabbard in after the third try, but can't quite figure out if the little short and moveable strap is supposed to connect to anything on the belt. It's just resting against it right now, but I was expecting a tiny hole to slot it into, or a magnet of some sort, but there is nothing. Odd. Then there are the reins. This was a difficult process, made worse by the fact that the orientation of the hand made it so that the reins were crossed the wrong way, something that was not immediately obvious until I looked at other people's photos. With the hand in perfectly, the right side was too slack, and the left side (from Eomer's perspective) too short. However, after realizing that they were indeed backwards, they fit fine but then the hand was twisted in the wrong direction. That was an easy fix due to the flexibility of the reins, but very deceiving initially, which led me to my error. So, in all, only really two issues, but the scabbard and reins are annoying to deal with. Still, the statue is amazing and well worth the decade-long wait. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

I received my dwarf miner mini this week. What an amazing little statue. The mini line is really stepping up.

Well - apart from the ‘Arkenstone’ which is just a slightly different colour paint on the polystone. So I had a loose opal I had recently found at home. My brother used to do lapidary. I drilled out the stone and replaced it with the opal. It is a little bigger and I need to add back some rock to make it look still a little imbedded. But here is the pic - taken in very low light cause the opal flares.

Return to “Weta Workshop”