Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

Very nice, Idril. Great work on replacing the stone. I rather like this little fellow, but the lack of recognition of the character - it being more about the moment than the person - and having to deal with a lacklustre Arkenstone, is not exactly making me yearn to push the order button. With the price the minis are commanding, I'm saving my pennies for the inevitable 3 for $150 deal Weta usually does on Black Friday, and I already have three candidates lined up: Gandalf on Gwaihir, Sam cooking, and old Bilbo on the bench.

Speaking of Black Friday, I don't think I'm going to get drawn into anything else unless the 3 for $500 on the 1:6 line includes Haldir, Mirkwood Elf, and Gamling. With the former two being relatively new releases, and the latter still on pre-order, I sincerely doubt Weta will go there. Still, you never know. What I do wish is that they would let us know what Treebeard is going to cost before BF comes around. This announcement is going to hugely impact what people will buy for months to come, and Weta should do its customers a solid by getting that info out there as soon as they can. Or, they can pull a dirty tactic by keeping everyone in the dark about the price and encourage people to spend a bundle on BF, then announce the price in December. :angry:
This Space for Rent

Yep, I saw the 400 only thing they added after the fact. I totally get they decided to do that as the piece has very limited appeal so no point making multiple runs, but it does increase the demand for it immediately. I don't doubt it will sell out very soon. I just find it doesn't mean enough to me to justify the expense at this time, however minor... not with Treebeard's price tag hitting us like an asteroid one of these days. :club:
This Space for Rent

Looks like Weta has made it extremely easy to save my money this year with their upcoming Black Friday offerings. I know this comes from a place that says "you are spoiled!", but the deals are either kinda lousy in comparison with previous years, and/or what is on sale is sure to interest almost no one as it is stuff that was released long ago. The only decent deals are the Hobbit holes, although most of us tend to get those as soon as they come out, and the 1:4 Helms, which is this year's 'burn' on the trigger-pullers. such as myself. The only thing I was really looking forward to was their 3 for $150 minis. Instead it's now 2 for $150, which makes sense for the minis that are priced at $125 each. However, Gandalf on Gwaihir is not included, and Bilbo is inexplicably included in the 1:6 sale, leaving Sam as my only 'want' and nothing to pair him with. The other thing I was hoping to pick up, Gandalf's Pipe, is not on sale either. Guess I'll try my luck next year with the Stock Sale. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:41 pm Looks like Weta has made it extremely easy to save my money this year with their upcoming Black Friday offerings. I know this comes from a place that says "you are spoiled!", but the deals are either kinda lousy in comparison with previous years, and/or what is on sale is sure to interest almost no one as it is stuff that was released long ago. The only decent deals are the Hobbit holes, although most of us tend to get those as soon as they come out, and the 1:4 Helms, which is this year's 'burn' on the trigger-pullers. such as myself. The only thing I was really looking forward to was their 3 for $150 minis. Instead it's now 2 for $150, which makes sense for the minis that are priced at $125 each. However, Gandalf on Gwaihir is not included, and Bilbo is inexplicably included in the 1:6 sale, leaving Sam as my only 'want' and nothing to pair him with. The other thing I was hoping to pick up, Gandalf's Pipe, is not on sale either. Guess I'll try my luck next year with the Stock Sale. :huh:
TBH, the Hobbit holes are the only Weta environments I've considered picking up. But it seemed like another endless collections to start...Not sure I want to sink money into an unending line of slightly different colored doors. :P

Though I admit if Bag End is actually part of the sale (says it is, but it's listed as "Sold Out"), I might be tempted...

GW, I felt the same about the Hobbit holes initially. I only owned Bag End, which is on an entirely different scale, but changed my mind once I saw them in person at N2's house. They are so well done and cute, and take so little room that as soon as I got home, I found myself ordering them, including going on eBay to find the two that were sold out from Weta at the time. Along with the Green Dragon, they make a very nice Hobbiton display. In the long run, yeah... it does concern me that Weta seems intent on releasing all (what is it... 44?) existing Hobbit holes, but besides the different doors, they each have their own character and charm. I may stop at some point, or I may keep going... who knows?

As for Bag End being currently sold out, if they have it on the list of deals (and they do,) it's because they've announced that some sold out items will be coming back in stock temporarily. If you really want one, I'd advise you to be ready as they tend to oversell a miniscule amount of sold out stock at these sales, so it's first come, first served.
This Space for Rent

Not much to it other than what I mentioned: keep an alert eye out for an Out of Stock item to come back on, then jump on it as fast as possible. Typically what happens is Weta will inventory count their warehouses and 'find' a few items that were previously thought to be sold out. Bag End being listed means they unearthed a few for sure, but other than not telling how many there are, the item can oversell before they delist it again. Not sure why they can't just put a counter on it. Too logical, I suppose? What happens every time is that come shipping time, a handful of folks get a disappointing email and a refund.

Not much else to it. The sale typically runs for 3 days or so, and just watch that when you are doing a X for $Y purchase, that the sale discount price is applied correctly at checkout before you complete the purchase.

Good luck! :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Not much to it other than what I mentioned: keep an alert eye out for an Out of Stock item to come back on, then jump on it as fast as possible. Typically what happens is Weta will inventory count their warehouses and 'find' a few items that were previously thought to be sold out. Bag End being listed means they unearthed a few for sure, but other than not telling how many there are, the item can oversell before they delist it again. Not sure why they can't just put a counter on it. Too logical, I suppose? What happens every time is that come shipping time, a handful of folks get a disappointing email and a refund.

Not much else to it. The sale typically runs for 3 days or so, and just watch that when you are doing a X for $Y purchase, that the sale discount price is applied correctly at checkout before you complete the purchase.

Good luck! :thumbs_up
Thanks for the tips! It looks like in-stock items I can add to my cart for go-live time. Hopefully they'll stick around so I can do a quick checkout when the sales start for those at least.

Did anyone bite at the Weta Black Friday sale? I'll admit that I cracked and made some purchases. I haven't bought anything for my collection since summer of 2016, so I felt it was a little overdue. It doesn't hurt that the sale fell on my birthday, so I don't have self control on the mind today. I picked up The Green Dragon, Rivendell Chamber environment, Farmer Maggot's House, Hobbit Hole #35, and Kili's Rune stone for a whopping total of $165. What I REALLY want (and actually have space for) are the three mini figures of Frodo, Bilbo, and Sam. I am just in love with those, and seeing as I'm a little more detached from my collection and Middle-Earth in general these days, I really value the pieces that I feel capture the spirit of the stories and suck me into that nostalgic feeling. However, the sales weren't on for those ones, and the shipping is KILLER these days. I don't fancy paying out the you know what for $240 worth of mini statues and $75 worth of shipping, on top of what I already bought. I feel good about dipping back into the hobby though, and I can't wait to give these guys a new home, maybe even do a little redecorating in my own space when they get here!
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Hi Fin,

Nah, not a single one of those deals was of any use to me. As I stated a few posts up, none of my wants were on sale: Mini Gandalf of Gwaihir, mini Bilbo on bench, mini Sam, and Gandalf's Pipe. Yes, I know mini Sam is actually part of the minis sale, but as I have all the others on offer, it's no dice for me.

My only hope to pick up something is if either they appear in one of the two last flash sales, or if Haldir does, but I have almost no hopes of that happening. Besides, after Treebeard, I'm ok not blowing more money on Weta for the year, to be honest.
This Space for Rent

No I did not. The only thing that was tempting was the Rohan soldier / Gamling , but really can't justify much right now as I'm still unemployed and Treebeard was a must have soI'm still sorting out other items to sell to help pay for him. The only thing on my radar right now is the Moria staff as I'll do what ever I have to , to get one.

So you two got your hands on Fangorn, huh? I totally missed the release, the hype, the SDCC pictures and the price tag. How bad was it? I saw that they sold out in 45 minutes. Congrats on grabbing him though, that's a serious piece of Middle Earth real estate that I never thought would get made.

I'm right there with you on Gamling. The double down pose and the high price tag are turn offs, even if he is cool. N2, what did you end up sacrificing to be able to pay for Treebeard?
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Anyone trying Weta's 12 days of Christmas thing? The first two doors were pretty easy and I entered the answer even if I have no desire for either prize. On the incredibly unlikely chance that I win something, I will likely come here to give it away to anyone who is interested... unless of course, something cool from Middle-earth comes that I don't already have. One can dream, right?

Also, exciting to see that their next big reveal is going to be a new Nazgul Rider. I could never stomach the after-market prices of the old SSW one, but I've just realized that at Weta's current price point for 1:6 riders, the cost of the new one will rival the old. Choice is never a bad thing, but these prices are too scary nowadays. Still... if this statue checks all the boxes, I might cave. Aside from the Morgul Lord, I don't have a 1:6 representation of a normal wraith, and I'm not a fan of the Ballet-Ninja statues of the Nazgul from the Hobbit. :huh:
This Space for Rent

I saw the tease on the Ringwraith rider. I do think it is from the chase scene. Although that means it won’t be a companion to Arwen. Just guessing here but I wonder if it is a companion piece for something else. It is hard to imagine but they did a lot of galloping around near Bree and Amon Sul. Weta have told me companion pieces are they way they are going now.

I have the RwoS. I’ll never part with it. Still my fav really and the 1st or 2nd one I got. The reason I caved and started collecting actually. I still remember TORn featuring it under a spotlight for what seems ages. It used to kill me to see it.

Anyway, I don’t need another Ringwraith on Steed but damm I have a weakness for them. I remember being so scared (in my 20s) when I first read the book and the black riders where after them before they left the Shire. So......., I’m saying - let’s just see how I feel about it when I actually see it.

I'm not a fan of companion pieces for two reasons: it triggers completion issues (which I'm sure is Weta's plan to get us to spend more anyway,) and it requires a lot more planning to display properly.

I don't recall the Nagul at full gallop with swords drawn at any point in the movie except when the Bruinen waters are summoned and they attempt to flee. If that's what they went for here, then it does not match Arwen as she rears Asfaloth: that happens a minute earlier. If it's not a companion piece, then they are taking some creative license, but the water splashes (unless it's mud) gives it away that it is indeed from the river scene. Odd for Weta to not see the two poses are mismatched in time.

If they wanted a standalone Nazgul in full gallop, they had the chase to the Ford scene, as well the exiting the gates of Minas Morgul scene to choose from. Neither one of those has swords drawn though.
This Space for Rent

It has to be the waves. The cheek cut comes during the chase and is from a branch when she rides too close to a tree to avoid one of the wraiths.

I don't recall the water splash in Bree, but it could be when they bust the town gate down and crush the door warden under it?

As we've both said, it probably is from the river scene, which still leaves it and the Arwen statue mismatched in timing. Luckily, as I have zero interest in She-ra, Princess of Power, and her shennanings at the Ford, the wraith by itself will be fine for me.
This Space for Rent

Idril, any luck figuring out what the Day 4 item is?!? Most people seem to think it's the WoW sword, but it just seems way too obvious... but maybe that's the trick? I'm tired of straining my eyes looking at that picture. I don't believe it's anything on trains because they are too far and out of focus if you enhance the image size. The prize is definitely part of the foreground, but what is it? :angry:
This Space for Rent

The new Ringwraith statue has been revealed. Not really blown away, as I was hoping I would be. It's certainly a nice statue but i didn't get that "I must have it!" feeling when I first saw it and that always makes me wonder whether I should get it or not. My main gripe with it is the 'too actiony' pose once again. Weta just can't seem to resist going slightly over the top with their poses these days and I really miss the classic poses of yesteryear. Also, very much dislike the water effect, which I feel detracts from the beauty of the sculpture. My first thought is that it looks just like when someone goes into a public washroom and comes back out with a long strip of toilet paper stuck to the bottom of their shoe, walking away blissfully unaware. Not a good look, and now I can't unsee it.

Also worrisome that the price is not revealed yet. This should be a red flag for everyone as it tells me clearly that Weta is increasing the price of rider statues yet again, else why not simply post the usual $699 price?

Lastly, I had to snicker when they claim it is perfectly paired with the new Arwen at the Ford statue. Not only are the two poses mismatched in timing in the movie by at least a minute, putting one across from the other as they are now just makes it look like the wraith is fleeing from Arwen, which I find personally laughable and awkward. The two statues go together about as well as the new Treebeard and Grishnak, which is to say not at all.

Missed opportunity here to give us a classic statue. The old SSW one is much better.
This Space for Rent

I do actually like and at this stage I will be getting it. Cause I just love the black riders. My fav part of the book.

I’m not sold on the water. I hope it looks better in person.

As for the pairing with Arwen - not getting her (and we all know why) so I don’t have an issue. Tbh - if it did pair with it, I mightn’t have wanted it.

As for the RwoS. Can’t be beaten imo. Still my fav statue of all time. I’m wondering if Treebeard might finally top it for me. I’m sort of hoping not though.

You know I'm not getting Arwen either, for the exact same reasons. It just irritates me when they are saying the statues are paired when they are not. Lurtz and Boromir at Amon Hen are paired; these are not. I feel bad on behalf of those people that are buying both statues because they are from different time stamps in the movie. Yes, I am that pedantic, but if I'm spending $1500 on two statues to represent a scene from a movie, I expect them to be a little more accurate.

Anyway, you are right, not getting Arwen = non-issue. Just not getting the must-have vibe from it. Like you, I love the Ringwraiths and I wanted to love a new statue of one so I could finally own a 1:6 Nagul besides the Morgul Lord, but I'm having a few doubts on this one. If the price is more than $749, that will probably decide it for me. I can get the old one off Ebay for that much.
This Space for Rent

The new Tauriel statue looks real nice. Might actually get it. I’ve been on the fence about statues for a while as I’m fast running out of space. I do like her new pose though.

I agree about the Nazgul statue though, it’s not as impressive as I thought it’d be and I’m not very tempted by it.

EDIT: corrected Nazgul typo :P
Last edited by Lindir on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I agree, Lindir, I really like the new Tauriel as well, and I think the new pose has much to do with that. The old one just didn't do anything for me. That, and the fact that the character's place in the movies was ruined by that shoe-horned, awful love-triangle nonsense. I vowed to never buy invented character statues, but this one has me wavering.

I'm trying hard to convince myself that the new Nazgul statue is worth it, but I am failing. The pose is just so awkward, and that water makes it look worse. On the other hand, this may the only chance at a Nazgul for many years to come. Sigh... why couldn't they have just gone with a normal galloping pose? :'(
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:46 pmI think when looked at in person and as a whole effect the water will be brilliant.
I hear you, but that's an awfully expensive way to confirm a gut feeling. To me, the pictures should sell the statue because unless you go to SDCC or the Weta Cave, there's really no way to judge these things in person before buying. :huh:
This Space for Rent

So? New Ringwraith is orderable now... anyone bite?

Not sure what the big delay was with revealing the price as it ended up being what the other riders currently cost. Not saying the price is a bad thing as I was expecting another hike, but I don't get why all the mystery.

I think my decision is made and I am going to pass. I don't like the pose enough, and the water effect really seals it for me: I think they tried to get too fancy and it looks poorly realized (to me). It's such a shame as I've been dying to own a proper wraith statue and this was my chance. Why couldn't they have gone with a simple galloping pose if they wanted action and movement? Sigh.

The sad and lonely hunt for reasonably priced RWOS continues... :'(
This Space for Rent

Yes, I bit. I’m a sucker for black riders (I didn’t like the DRoM though). I like it a lot from certain angles (particularly front on) and not as much from others. I’m very interested to see how it will look.

Do I like it as much as RwoS - nah..... not even close. I’m starting to think nothing can top that for me. It is LotR for me.

Good news for you Val. You might find a cheaper RwoS. I think it may cause a cheaper RwoS to pop up - at least initially. Did you notice the new one is not shipping till the end of the year anyway.

Funny you mention the angles because this new statue is a total changeling. From the front (narrow end of the base), I like how it looks. From the side, with the base laid out straight from front to back, I like it as well. Every other angle, I think it sucks. And that water trailing from the hooves... I just can't get over it. Also, panicky wraiths are not my thing. I want menace, not one frozen in an "Oh shit!" moment.

I hear you on the possibility of a cheaper RWOS popping up due to the arrival of this new one, but I'm very skeptical of that happening. When Thranduil on Elk showed up, I didn't exactly see a rash of original Thranduils going for fire-sale prices. However, one can only hope and my eyes will be peeled... and if a certain aussie lady spots one and I don't, my PM box always has room for one more message. :thumbs_up

I did see the end-of-year release date... one of the longest I've seen from Weta in a while. Good news for those waiting to save up.
This Space for Rent

I find that a little hard to believe, but I guess such is the popularity of Ringwraiths. Does not bode well for anyone selling the old one, or if they do, of the price ever coming down. Sigh.

Edit: Actually, one popped up over in the UK. Sadly, it is overpriced as predicted: 695 GBP is nearly $1200 CDN, with another $160 for shipping on top, then $170 for customs and taxes ... no thanks. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

Yeah, there's just no way I'm paying over $300 for shipping fees and taxes. Treebeard himself didn't cost nearly that much.

Not only that, Canada Post seems to have some kind of weird problem with anything coming from the UK in particular. They've lost two of my last four orders, and the ones that did make it, took over a month. They literally fly over the next day after being shipped, then languish for weeks on end at the other end of the country for no fathomable reason. This happens with no other country. The only person I order from over there now is John Lowe and even then I feel anxiety over getting my package. :embarasse

I'll just keep waiting for one to show up over here. I feel it's inevitable. I should have pounced on one a few months ago that showed up from a US seller for $700. I held off because it seemed a given that Weta was working on a new LOTR Ringwraith... just didn't count on them coming up with a statue I dislike so much. :'(
This Space for Rent

Same, and yet not really...

On the one hand, I'm far from being the only one that complains about the high prices, and yet sell-outs this fast only show Weta that people will sell their own mothers for these statues, which will only continue to feed the cycle. Collecting is an addiction and I suspect many people are burying themselves in debt to keep it up - Eomer, Treebeard, Arwen, Ringwraith... and do we really think there won't be another 3-4 "must-have" releases before that Ringwraith even ships? Anyway, my point is that these factors are what makes it surprising that an item this expensive can sell so fast in the face of other recent and just as expensive releases.

What makes it unsurprising is that I think a lot of people were in my situation: they love the Ringwraiths, likely missed out on the original rider statue, and were dying for Weta to finally put out a new one. So they did, and everyone pounced because this was a character that people were starved for. So, yeah... if you look at it that way, it's not really a surprise. I would have been among those 750 people in a heartbeat except I came to the conclusion that I dislike the statue more than 50%, and that's just way too much money for something I need to be at least 80/20 on. :huh:
This Space for Rent

lol... what did I say in my previous post? One exact day after the new Ringwraith sells out and Weta sends out a photo with a sneak peek of Aragorn at Amon Hen, another upcoming statue.

Coincidence in the timing? I think not... :rolleye:

Idirl, you might want to tell your friend Min that there was no Witcking and Frodo at Amon Hen to go with this statue. That was Amon Sul. :laugh:
This Space for Rent

I saw this statue almost finished but not painted about 15 months ago. I want it. It looked good. And I have to think Gary did a great job on the face. (If my memory serves me correct it is Gary Hunts work ir it was in his desk at least)

Plus I sold my original SSW one so no Aragorn in the house currently. Still I’ll wait to see the finished piece before deciding.

Return to “Weta Workshop”