Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

Ah! Well, I grabbed the photo over from the Weta forum where they are discussing this very topic, so I assumed this would be a preview of what Barad-dur would look like as an eventual sculpture. I didn't for one second believe they had a finished prototype yet because I think they are still far from that stage. Some were saying Q2 2012 at the earliest. So in a way, you can still consider that a teaser as it will most likely be what it looks like once they get to it.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I would love all the Weta items as many do, but I am just a sucker for Gondorian stuff. The Argonath, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, Amon Hen... Ugh, I just love everything Gondor![/quote]

I'd be really keen to get Minas Tirith as well.

Didn't MT get made already by ...whom? Weta? Danbury Mint?

If it was Danbury I'd like to see (and buy) a Weta Minas Tirith.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Danbury's two pieces were great, esp. Minas Tirith. This new line of Weta stuff looks great on-line but the proof is in the pudding. The stuff they licensed to Sideshow looked great on-line, but the actual product was usually rather poorly painted. I guess I'll know how good the new stuff is when my Rivendell arrives....
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I agree about the Sideshow stuff. I am definitely not 110% happy with the few Sideshow statues I have. Detail in texture is their but the paint is definitely not up to par. [/quote]

That is definitely correct. I did some touch-up painting on my Morgul Lord statue years ago.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I agree about the Sideshow stuff. I am definitely not 110% happy with the few Sideshow statues I have. Detail in texture is their but the paint is definitely not up to par. From what I heard the Weta "Weta" stuff that is out and coming out is top of the line.[/quote]

I've heard that some SSW statues aren't up to par, but I have both Gandalf the Grey and White and they're both fantastic, couldn't ask for better. Also, all of my SSW busts are awesome, I've no complaints there.

It is true, however, that the new Weta stuff is fabulous. I have Gollum and Bag End and I couldn't find anything to complain about if I wanted to! They're flawless. I cannot wait for Rivendell to ship! :thumbs_up

As for bad guy stuff, Deimos...well...you caught me! I know, I don't like nasty orcses and wicked pitses. But Barad-dur is like the Death Star; it may belong to the enemy but man is it impressive. It's one of the most massive towers ever built in Middle-Earth and the pictures of the Weta bigature they used in filming do it justice. If I was ever going to buy something evil, that would be it for sure. :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]...[A]ll of my SSW busts are awesome, I've no complaints there.... the new Weta stuff is fabulous....

As for bad guy stuff, Deimos...well...you caught me! I know, I don't like nasty orcses and wicked pitses. But Barad-dur is like the Death Star; it may belong to the enemy but man is it impressive. It's one of the most massive towers ever built in Middle-Earth and the pictures of the Weta bigature they used in filming do it justice. If I was ever going to buy something evil, that would be it for sure. :thumbs_up [/quote]

Well, Fin, if you read Valkrist's response to my catching you, you will have seen that Valkrist caught me as well.
I totally spaced about owning the Morgul Lord (my only collectible with "negativitity") until he mentioned it.

But I think I tap-danced my way out of that double standard situation....at least I'd like to think that I did. :D

[quote=""Fingolfin""]I noticed! We're all just a bunch of hypocrites up in here...tapdancing hypocrites? :crazy: [/quote]
Never say never! :)
If you collect LOTR you must have the One Ring-the most evil of all items, responsible for ALL darkness and negativity in Middle Earth.

Without the Ring we have no story.
Without the Ring, you have no collection. ;)
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]Never say never! :)
If you collect LOTR you must have the One Ring-the most evil of all items, responsible for ALL darkness and negativity in Middle Earth.

Without the Ring we have no story.
Without the Ring, you have no collection. ;) [/quote]

HAHA…Thrandy, it’s funny you mention about owning The One Ring.

I’d thought about buying it from Jens Hansen -- I mean, why not? I already have Vilya and Ring of Barahir (both by JH) --- but I can’t do it.

I can so clearly hear Gandalf at the Council of Elrond: “The Ring is altogether evil!”

And so I can’t even have it in my house, much less wear it, even if I did own it.

(And I do wear my two JH rings, one or the other, every day.)

So maybe you would say I don’t really have an LOTR collection because I don’t own, and will never own, the One Ring.

Call it superstitious, but there it is.

Mine is slightly different than the pic on the JH website.

1) Instead of White Gold I got palladium. It's cheaper (relatively speaking) and doesn't tarnish or require the upkeep that white gold does.
The JH folks actually recommended it over the white gold.

2) I got the emerald in a marquis cut rather than the round cut.
The marquis cut is the same shape as the stone in the NC RoB.
Round/pillow cut is more book-accurate...marquis cut is more screen accurate.

3) Still got the 18kt gold "crown" because the amount of gold is so little that it didn't affect the price prohibitively.
And since 18 is deeper yellow than 14 (and 14 is deeper yellow than 9) I went for it in order to get the contrast with the silver palladium.

Price (back in May 2011) was still about $2100 USD.

The whole thing, the palladium, the emerald, the gold, all of it absolutely glitters incredibly in sunlight.

I don't have a good enough camera for detailed closeups so it may be a few months before I can post [decent] pics.
At that time I will re-post better pics of my JH Vilya

[quote=""Deimos""]HAHA…Thrandy, it’s funny you mention about owning The One Ring.

I’d thought about buying it from Jens Hansen -- I mean, why not? I already have Vilya and Ring of Barahir (both by JH) --- but I can’t do it.

I can so clearly hear Gandalf at the Council of Elrond: “The Ring is altogether evil!”

And so I can’t even have it in my house, much less wear it, even if I did own it.

(And I do wear my two JH rings, one or the other, every day.)

So maybe you would say I don’t really have an LOTR collection because I don’t own, and will never own, the One Ring.

Call it superstitious, but there it is. [/quote]
My statement about not having a collection without the ring should have included a laughing smiley; obviously it's not a true thing to say. To have a JH ring is really HAVING it. Ya get what ya pay for (Rev- NC's are about just that, quality in the price) I've got the silver edition with gold overlay, it's not great but it's the One Ring enough for my collection.

I'm certainly not a serious collector by any means when it comes to having what's really worth the money. For me it's always been about creating a room with a LotR ambiance. It's more about display of the pieces than the pieces themselves. ed209 will be happy to tell you that's not a collection, and he's absolutely right. ed feels the swords (or whatever) need to be the main attraction rather than display; when you are as serious as he is, he's right on target :thumbs_up .

I wouldn't put on my ring either Deimos, superstition aside it's the principle of understanding evil as evil. I felt the One Ring was an essential part of the entire purpose, you know, there's the Ring and then there's all the characters related etc. It's kind of like not having Gollum, ya gotta have Gollum, where would we be with good ole Gollum finding the Ring?

Anyway, I too avoid the "dark" parts of the collection. I've got the Dagger of the Witchking because it again is such a permanent part of Frodo's tale.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Thranduil""]My statement about not having a collection without the ring should have included a laughing smiley; obviously it's not a true thing to say. To have a JH ring is really HAVING it. Ya get what ya pay for (Rev- NC's are about just that, quality in the price) I've got the silver edition with gold overlay, it's not great but it's the One Ring enough for my collection....
I wouldn't put on my ring either Deimos, superstition aside it's the principle of understanding evil as evil. I felt the One Ring was an essential part of the entire purpose, you know, there's the Ring and then there's all the characters related etc. It's kind of like not having Gollum, ya gotta have Gollum, where would we be with good ole Gollum finding the Ring?

Anyway, I too avoid the "dark" parts of the collection. I've got the Dagger of the Witchking because it again is such a permanent part of Frodo's tale.[/quote]

Oh Thrandy, I knew you weren't denigrating anyone's collection that didn't have the One Ring in it (no matter where they got it from).

In fact, I should have put the laughing smiley after my statement saying that I guess I really don't have a collection without the Ring.

But I am serious about why I don't own it.
I know its history so even a repro is 'way too close in proximity to raw evil.

Likewise, I had to, HAD TO toss out a book of HP Lovecraft stories a few years ago.
(Darlak is probably horrified to hear that).
But there really was an overwheming compulsion to do get away from it, even though I like his stories.
It's not like HPL himself is evil, it's just that for some people who read his works, (like moi) it's almost like opening a door on the "screaming abyss of evil" , and I don't need that in my house ...or my life.

So for pretty much the same reason there is no One Ring in my collection.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Good picks Deimos! Those are my two favorite rings from LotR. The Ring of Barahir sounds amazing, definitely need to see some pictures of it one day. :thumbs_up [/quote]

Thanks Fin. I am indeed very happy with both of them.
Pics in a couple of months or so (spent a bunch of dinero on rings so the budget is busted at the moment --- no upgrading the camera right now.) :(

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I would just buy the one ring wear it all the time, walk around in black clothes with the witchking sword and dagger hanging at my belt. Dark enough?[/quote]

Well, Rev, you do that and you can be sure I won't be inviting you over for a pint! :D

(The ring would probably make the beer go flat anyway.....horrors!) :P

[quote=""Valkrist""]All this talk about rings in the Weta thread... shall I move this to a more appropriate place? :huh: [/quote]

It's the Ring Val, the Ring did it.
Just talking about it, and it hijacks the thread.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Well, does anyone own the Weta One Ring?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!!?!?[/quote]

That is one beautiful ring, seductively so.

If I ever went over to the [collectible] dark side, I'd get that Ring.
I like it better than the plain JH one.

But.....I will never go over to the dark side, so my mind and soul are safe, not to mention my bank account. :)

[quote=""Deimos""]That is one beautiful ring, seductively so.

If I ever went over to the [collectible] dark side, I'd get that Ring.
I like it better than the plain JH one.

But.....I will never go over to the dark side, so my mind and soul are safe, not to mention my bank account. :) [/quote]

Well the Weta version is just an exclusive version of the JH ring and you can get it either way, with or without the inscription.

[quote=""Valkrist""]All this talk about rings in the Weta thread... shall I move this to a more appropriate place? :huh: [/quote]
Well Val I'd say any prop Weta made (or commissioned for the film) is appropriate to this thread.
Every thing LotR film is Weta to me ;)
Seems Sir Richard was known for saying, "Ooh, we'll make that, and that, and that, and that, and that..........40,000 items later

[quote=""RevAnakin""]Well, does anyone own the Weta One Ring?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!!?!?[/quote]

Bah! If only...one can dream!

[quote=""Deimos""]But.....I will never go over to the dark side, so my mind and soul are safe, not to mention my bank account. :) [/quote]

I'm not going to the dark side, and my wallet is still in extreme danger. ;)

[quote=""Fingolfin""]...I'm not going to the dark side, and my wallet is still in extreme danger. ;) [/quote]

HAHAHA....Well said, Fin, and very true for me also, as my bank account currently attests to. :(

I stand corrected. :thumbs_up
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""RevAnakin""]"And we will do all the digital stuff too! Oh, look we have to build a whole new wing to support that. Thanks New Line!"[/quote]
Thanks New Line?
I don't think so Rev, it's more like thank all of us for the films massive box office success.

New Line tried to screw everyone involved and got multiple class action lawsuits against it (22 I think).

No, I think Weta digital can thank themselves more than anything for their great work that parlayed into a massive e xp ansion. In turn we can thank them for becoming the most sought after special FX on the planet and turning out more great work for us to enjoy.

I'll go a little further and thank those Kiwi's (especially Sir Richard Taylor) for being such awesome down to earth human beings :thumbs_up

What a great bunch of people down there :)

[quote=""BladeCollector""]The one thing I have to say about WETA is I went all these years without buying a WETA piece and now that I have ordered the pre-ruin Orthanc, I have caught the WETA bug...

All I have to say is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

(that was a reference back to the SW on BD thread) haha :evil: [/quote]
Yup, that's a bug that's terminal;

To your wallet

[quote=""RevAnakin""]I am thinking about writing Weta a letter and just selling my future first born son to them for all their Environments. Contract: "One small child ready to work and be slave to Weta in exchange for all current and future environments..."[/quote]

This, ladies and gents, is the voice of a determined collector.

Return to “Weta Workshop”