Orthanc is shipping

So, anyone else receive the email notice that the first batch of the 400 Orthancs is arriving in the US warehouse next week?

Looks like mine is in that batch as they advised me to notify my credit card company I will be charged on the 16th. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Re: Orthanc is shipping

[quote=""Valkrist""]So, anyone else receive the email notice that the first batch of the 400 Orthancs is arriving in the US warehouse next week?

Looks like mine is in that batch as they advised me to notify my credit card company I will be charged on the 16th. :thumbs_up [/quote]

Mine is in the same shipment....just got notification also. :) :) :)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Valkrist""]Payment processed and order released to dispatch for shipping. :thumbs_up [/quote]

Ditto....E xp ecting mine to show up sometime in the next 5 days. :)

I feel kind of left out. I'd sort of like to have this but it's another e xp ense and I don't really have a good place for it. :| One of my cats is ramping up to have e xp ensive declining years (he had a $500 echocardiogram and cardiology workup last week) and I've got a sneaking hunch my car is working up for a major repair. Rivendell may have been my last big splurge on LOTR collectibles. :|
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I'm sorry to hear that, friend. Don't despair altogether though. I've not collected anything LOTR related since around '05 or '06 when Sideshow-Weta made the last statues, and then in the last month alone (Rivendell excluded,) I've picked up six UC items and Orthanc. You may be down, but never out.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Olorin""]I feel kind of left out. I'd sort of like to have this but it's another e xp ense and I don't really have a good place for it. :| One of my cats is ramping up to have e xp ensive declining years (he had a $500 echocardiogram and cardiology workup last week) and I've got a sneaking hunch my car is working up for a major repair. Rivendell may have been my last big splurge on LOTR collectibles. :| [/quote]

I hate to hear that buddy... Rivendell was a BIG cost. My sister in laws sister has spent countless thousands, maybe 15K on a dog that has cancer, diabetes, etc over the last few years. Its an older dog, but for my dog, who is about to turn 5, if she had those problems, I would be selling off my LOTR collection to save her! you know that is serious!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I hate to hear that buddy... Rivendell was a BIG cost. My sister in laws sister has spent countless thousands, maybe 15K on a dog that has cancer, diabetes, etc over the last few years. Its an older dog, but for my dog, who is about to turn 5, if she had those problems, I would be selling off my LOTR collection to save her! you know that is serious![/quote]

In the first 5 years I had them, my cats cost me over $10K. It was just one thing after another, including 2 surgeries apiece.

[quote=""Dark Shadow""]Huh that's weird I thought it should be more like $ 10t because the first letter of thousand is T.[/quote]

Val is right: it means "thousand." "K" is short for "kilo," which is Greek for "thousand." English, especially American English, never met a language it didn't steal words or parts of words from. I think most languages are like that. I chuckle to myself sometimes when I'm out and about and I hear people speaking a foreign language (and since there's a big university here, we have lots of folks from other countries), and they will be rambling on in their own tongue, with the occasional English word stuck in.

My Orthanc just arrived and I've unboxed it to revel in its glory. It is a very impressive and beautiful piece. Judging by the scale of the trees, it is built to the same scale as Rivendell and it is huge. While it makes me shudder with dread at the thought that they might make Barad-dur and Minas Tirith on the same scale, any further thoughts I had of not buying them due to already owning the Danbury Mint versions has been 100% dispelled with Orthanc's arrival. I have 350/400, and the Eye of Sauron pin is pretty cool too. Love the quote on the card: "Like Sauron, I had my eye on Orthanc." Another cool detail is that at the top of the tower, where Gandalf was imprisoned, you can actually see the same astrological diagram etched onto the floor that you see in the movie.

I have to say, between getting my notice of billing from WETA and the time it took for the statue to arrive at my door, this breaks all previous records. Very pleased with this purchase.

Some pics for your viewing pleasure:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Valkrist on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

No fair, I still haven't got the email with tracking info... I did get the email about it being in the warehouse. And according to that website, us Americans were supposed to get it before you dang Canadians! ;)

I too was thinking last night, where or where would I put a Minas Tirith or Barad-dur, or maybe a same scale Minas Morgul
Last edited by BladeCollector on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Val, that is so very cool....great pics...looks just as good as I imagined it would. :thumbs_up

Mine should be arriving today or tomorrow since I am close to the west coast. :)

Thanks, everyone! :)

Harri, did you order one of the first 300, or are you waiting for the open edition? That could be the difference...?

lol... looks like N2 was first, not I. He was just playing possum. I hope you are happy with it given your bad e xp erience with Rivendell. Great pics, better than mine, and your room looks awesome!
Last edited by Valkrist on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Woohoo!...found mine waiting for me on the porch!

#270 and no issues

(And am happy for you, N2, that this time it worked out for you. :) )

So back into the box it goes to sit with Rivendell, also in its box, because I have no place to display either, not in the near future anyway...*sigh* .

Curse you! Curse you and all haflings! Oh sorry, just lapsing into Boromir temporarily. Seeing all the wonderful pix makes me want to get this. Fortunately it's going to be an open edition, so I can think further on it later. In the mean time, congrats to everyone on getting what looks to be a very nice piece.

Now, wouldn't it be cool if they did Minas Morgul on the same scale that Danbury Mint did Minas Tirith? I think I know at least one person here who would order it...and my Eye is fixed on Vancouver....

Man, I'm just full of those LOTR quotes tonight, aren't?

[quote=""Valkrist""]Thanks, everyone! :)

Harri, did you order one of the first 300, or are you waiting for the open edition? That could be the difference...?

lol... looks like N2 was first, not I. He was just playing possum. I hope you are happy with it given your bad e xp erience with Rivendell. Great pics, better than mine, and your room looks awesome![/quote]

I'm waiting on the open edition. I figured it was going to take a long time when I ordered it, I just didn't think it would be 4 going on 5 months from the latest time they stated it would be shipped by... starting to get a little impatient haha!

N2, those pics are amazing!

Yes, once again beautifully photographed Arwyniel :thumbs_up

And congrats BC on such a low number, and 7 to boot.
I love 7.
Last edited by Thranduil on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I need another tower... its lonely[/quote]
So you need The Two Towers? So did Tolkien :coolsmile
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Arwyniel...nice shots, your perspective shots make it look full sized!

I also got mine today and was pleasantly surprised by getting #007/500. I think its the lowest edition number I have ever got.[/quote]
Hey BC i think you made a mistake because there been made only 400 of Orthanc.

We need a roll call of all the members/numbers located on these forums alone... seems like for such a small community, we have a big hunk of these Orthancs.

I was surprised by my number, guess I got lucky. I dont know how they pick what number to send to who, but I doubt I was #7 to order one.

[quote=""Arwyniel""]I thought it was cool that Deimos and I have 270 & 271. :) [/quote]
I must have missed this, but it is very cool, and ironic ;)

[quote=""Arwyniel""]Thanks for the feedback on my pictures! I love taking pictures of these environments and getting in there close enough that you might think it was a real place. BC congrats on that low number! I thought it was cool that Deimos and I have 270 & 271. :) [/quote]

Excellent photography, Arwyniel :)
You missed your calling....you should be taking ad pics for companies that make collectible environments like Danbury Mint as well as Weta.

I noticed how detailed your shots were of Rivendell.

And some of those Orthanc shots at eye level look 'way too real.
I half e xp ect to see Treebeard come striding up with Pippin and Merry on his arms.

And, yes, I noticed the S/N sequence too. :D

[quote=""Arwyniel""]... I thought it was cool that Deimos and I have 270 & 271. :) [/quote]

[quote=""Thranduil""]I must have missed this, but it is very cool, and ironic ;) [/quote]

'Ironic' you say, Thrandy? Indeed....an inside joke, perhaps? ;)

Wow, the pictures look great! So happy that this one is coming out perfect and everyone is satisfied. I'd love to see a box on my porch one of these days, but it just isn't happening. I don't have the money for this one. :|

But this makes me really excited for new environments. From Weta's talk on the S+F, it sounds like we could see another two environments this year alone, and it sounds like they're working on maybe even more than that! I'd love to see some more in the Bag End price range, maybe another Shire environment. Hobbiton Mill...that would make me so happy! Lol :crazy:
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Return to “Weta Workshop”