Re: Barad-dur!

As much as I wanted a Barad dur ever since I got Orthanc, I just can't justify a 700 dollar item... especially with the timing. The holiday season etc. I am trying to cut down on e xp enses, and there are some other things that I want to have and other things that need to be paid off.

I am almost sick over this decision, that extra 200 dollars really sent me for a loop. I was completely prepared for 500. 500 would have been double Orthanc and I would have been fine with it.

67 new posts in the Chatbox that should have been in this thread...come on, people!

Anyway, I am oh so glad that I had so little interest in buying the thing, because if my heart had been set on it, and I then found out it was $700, I'd be as heartsick as BC. As it is, my sympathy to anyone who really wanted it and decided against it, and my congratulations to anyone who did buy it. I have the DM one, and it is still packed in its box in my basement five years after my move into this house, because I really don't have a place to display it. That was the biggest factor causing me to have so little interest, along with a hunch it would be crazy-e xp ensive. I only bought Rivendell because there had never been one, and I had long really wanted on, and it was "only" $400.

Anyway, I e xp ect full reports...and pictures...next year from anyone who got one.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

True Olorin, but in all fairness, that was one of the few times that the Chatbox was a live chat!

I just looked, and it still isn't sold out! It is still teasing me, calling out to me like it was my own precious! I really wants it... a piece of me really thinks I NEEDS it!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]True Olorin, but in all fairness, that was one of the few times that the Chatbox was a live chat![/quote]

LOL, true enough!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]I just looked, and it still isn't sold out! It is still teasing me, calling out to me like it was my own precious! I really wants it... a piece of me really thinks I NEEDS it![/quote]

Only you can decide how badly you want this piece, vs. whatever may come down the pike next. I'm trying to remember what the most I ever spent on a collectible was. It was the Helm of Sauron, and I think it was $600. That was 10 years ago or so, so it would probably be like $700 now. (And yes, it's sitting in a box in my basement.) I dream of the day when I finish my basement, and make a collectible room like N2's. First, I have to spend less on collectibles, so I can finish the basement. Winning the lottery would help too, LOL.

Anyway, if you feel you will always regret not having bought it, then you should probably get it (all other factors being equal). If you're likely to torture yourself afterwards about how much money it was, then perhaps not.

Just checked...currently there are 4 DM Barad Durs on eBay...all less than $400....
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Yeah, I feel like I missed a lot of what was going on in the chatbox. :P Needless to say, I wasn't e xp ecting that high of a price tag. Not like I was going to buy it in the first place, but still, that's a HUGE pricetag.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Yeah, I feel like I missed a lot of what was going on in the chatbox. :P Needless to say, I wasn't e xp ecting that high of a price tag. Not like I was going to buy it in the first place, but still, that's a HUGE pricetag.[/quote]

uhhh...Fin, I thought you were going to buy it, because you made that comment (for my benefit) that despite it being and "evil collectible" (meaning full of negativity :D ) you couldn't pass up such an awesome reproduction. (And I have to agree , it is very impressive likeness.)

Can fully understand, though, if the price made you cough up a hairball. :p uker: It would me too.

Besides, I want to save my shekels for a more realistic, custom made Orcrist.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Yeah, Fing, I thought you were onboard with this too. Now you're making it sound like it was never even on your radar. :huh:

Well, looks like I am the only person on here that ordered a Barad-dur so far.

One is the loneliest number. :|
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Olorin""]Unless it has a dollar sign in front of it, in which case it has 698 friends! :crazy: [/quote]

:crazy: I see what you did there.

Well, I had figured at some point down the road I would get Barad-dur, because of how awesome it is. But I had no plan to get it before the initial onslaught of The Hobbit merchandise hit my credit card. Then I saw the pricetag and did a big :O and now it looks like BD might forever be out of my reach. I can only imagine the ebay flipper prices on a piece like this...if the Argonath doubled in price on the aftermarket when sold out, this thing could cost as much as a used car by the time I've recovered from buying six The Hobbit statues and a handful of swords. :(
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

There must be some info on their site regarding that. I remember in the old Sideshow-Weta days, they had waiting lists for sold out items. You could put your name on it and if someone cancelled their preorder and you were at the top of the list, you would be able to buy it. I got two statues this way but I have no idea if they still do that.
This Space for Rent

I looked on their site and under the section about Refunds and Cancellations, there isn't anything about cancellations. The only thing mentioned in their FAQs section is cancelling the WETA membership and WETA dollars. Guess I could shoot them an email and ask.

I am still debating it. Its like I can't not stop thinking of it and keep going over and over in my mind, talking myself in and out of getting it and coming up with reasons for and against it.

Such as "you have a better/full time job now so you have more money" vs "you want to pay off some debts" then "well I dont pay rent or have a car payment" vs "700 dollars is almost enough for a plane ticket to Europe and you have wanted to go to Europe for a long time" then there is the "you have a job that provides insurance now, you arent paying 350 dollars a month for health/dental/vision insurance anymore" vs "you insurance is provided by your job now, so saving 350 a month for just 2 months pays for the statue"

I have been doing this since this dang thing was released!

Return to “Weta Workshop”