Re: WETA: The One Ring - Gold Plated Tungsten Carbide

You beat me to it, Aragorn. This is a really nice looking Ring, I'm gonna have to add it to the bucket list. They're also offering the Sterling Silver Chain that comes with the solid gold One Ring for sale now, also $100. This jewelry line is looking awfully tempting. For those of you who missed it, they also made a new elven brooch which looks beautiful: http://www.wetanz.com/elven-leaf-brooch/
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Ugh, yet another sneaky attempt to get into my wallet. :|

I have the NC 18k version of the One Ring, and though I love it, it is not a 100% accurate replica of the shape of the one in the movie. Basically, the edges are sharper than they should be and the NC ring does not have that flat edge around the upper and lower circumferences like the one in photo that was posted.

At least this does not seem to be a limited item, unless I missed something, so at some point, I may get it.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]....I have the NC 18k version of the One Ring, and though I love it, it is not a 100% accurate replica of the shape of the one in the movie. Basically, the edges are sharper than they should be and the NC ring does not have that flat edge around the upper and lower circumferences like the one in photo that was posted.

At least this does not seem to be a limited item, unless I missed something, so at some point, I may get it.[/quote]

"The Ring is altogether evil!"

So I will not be getting it... (so what else is new?)

I thought I read on the Weta site that they are only making "a small number" of pieces of LOTR jewellery (note the British spelling :D )...didm't really specify an exact number.

Weta currently offers the green leaf Elven Fellowship brooch. From its description (and price) it seems far supeior to the NC version.

If I were into the full collection mode, like you, Val, and also dpeg, I would opt for the Weta jewellery over the NC versions.

Re the plated Tunsten ring...plating wears off after a while--and even faster if the ring is worn all the time.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]Re the plated Tunsten ring...plating wears off after a while--and even faster if the ring is worn all the time.[/quote]

This is just me personally of course, but I don't like the look of the One Ring on. Heck my wedding ring is the Ring of Barahir, but I personally don't like wearing gold anyways. For me, it is just something to display along with my statues/swords.

But I totally agree, if you are going to wear it a lot, you will have to get it re-plated every 2-3 years depending on how acidic your skin is.

I also heard that Jensens will make exact replicas without the Weta seal for less and exactly to your size.

I wouldn't wear it. I've never worn my NC ring except to slip it on once or twice to check it out, but that's it. It would be strictly a display piece so I wouldn't need to worry about re-plating.

The "small number" of items you mentioned could be a reference to how many different items they will be producing in this line rather than the actual amount of each individual item.
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Deimos""]
Re the plated Tungsten ring...plating wears off after a while--and even faster if the ring is worn all the time.[/quote]

I don't own any of the LOTR jewelry (yet), but as someone who used to make gold and titanium rings for a living, the idea of a tungsten carbide "one ring" with all of the outside surface gold plating removed, leaving the gold plating only in the recessed inscription sounds intriguing...

Tim

[quote=""timdp""]I don't own any of the LOTR jewelry (yet), but as someone who used to make gold and titanium rings for a living, the idea of a tungsten carbide "one ring" with all of the outside surface gold plating removed, leaving the gold plating only in the recessed inscription sounds intriguing...

Tim[/quote]

Well poo... After looking at the close up photos, it looks like they engraved the ring after plating it, so the script is not plated- Boo!

[quote=""Valkrist""]It kinda makes sense otherwise it wouldn't stand out. My only beef with the script is that it should be done in fiery red or orange, to make it look like the Ring had just been heated in a fire and the script stood revealed. The colour in the photo is way too neutral.[/quote]

Is that the way the Weta $3300 version is made, with the script in red (or reddish)?
If so, that would be very cool to see (but not to buy...evil, evil, EVIL! :D )

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Deimos""]Is that the way the Weta $3300 version is made, with the script in red (or reddish)?
If so, that would be very cool to see (but not to buy...evil, evil, EVIL! :D )[/quote]

On the Weta 18K version the engraving is textured on the interior areas, making it appear darker than the polished gold surface.

it would be relatively easy to add paint to the lettering (as N2darkness has done), but the paint should be fluorescent red or orange to simulate the burning letters. The fluorescent paint will do a VERY good job of making the letters look hot.

Looks like that was what was done on this version of the ring: http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-LORD-OF-THE ... 35befa7ba0

It hard to tell how deep the machine engraving is on the tungsten carbide ring. Needs to have a certain amount of depth to hold the paint.

Tim
Last edited by timdp on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Both sizes 11 and 10 are now sold out. It says "temporarily" but the whole thing has a "low stock" warning on it now. Anyone know if more of those two sizes will be made available or is that it? I tried to look for an answer over at S&F but couldn't find anything except for a few people wondering the same thing. :|

Also, does the inner circumference have Jens Hansen's signature and Weta engraved on it? That would be a deal-breaker for me.

Nevermind on the first question: even as I posted here, I went back to check on S&F and someone posted that they emailed Darren at Weta and he replied that more 11s and 10s will be arriving in 8 weeks.
Last edited by Valkrist on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Weta Workshop”