Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Orcrist

What really surprises me is how big the edition size is with Orcrist. Bigger than Anduril, Aragorn's Ranger sword, and Glamdring's editions *combined*... Maybe that's why the price has hiked up even further, since the evil overlords at WB wanted Peter to make 50 of these things, he decided to raise the prices so that fewer people would buy and thus maintain the balance of everything.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

[quote=""Valkrist""]That makes sense, yet it doesn't at the same time.

The balance is maintained, but then they are pricing it almost out of reach of even those fanatical enough to buy these things. It could really backfire so that almost no one ends up buying it.

Does that make any sense? :huh: [/quote]
Okay, that doesn't make much sense, you're right :D

Apart from all that, solely looking at the aesthetics and not thinking about Northern Dwarves or lost handles, I adore those dark blues and teals and greens on the entire setup. Just subtle enough that it won't look like a passing goblin vandalized it, but it gives a vibrancy to the entire piece. The contrast between the blued sections and normal sections especially. Bet the man who designed this sword had no idea Mr. Lyon would realize it in such splendor.

I won't be picking up this piece, but oh dear I'm smitten with the way all of its elements contrast and compliment each other. Huge kudos and admiration to Peter Lyon and the people who made the non-swordey bits like the belt and parts of the scabbard.

[quote=""Valkrist""]That makes sense, yet it doesn't at the same time.

The balance is maintained, but then they are pricing it almost out of reach of even those fanatical enough to buy these things. It could really backfire so that almost no one ends up buying it.

Does that make any sense? :huh: [/quote]

Yes it does.Also if they sold only 25 of them then you could buy one until the day peter kicks the bucket...than could be 30 years availability

If you bought one and needed to sell for financial reasons you would lose money or at best get what you payed as its still available from weta brand new.

they still haven't sold the 25 stings,what chance selling 50 orcrists.

Having said that,i have ordered edition #1! :huh:
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!"

[quote=""Jamanticus""]It'll be $13,000 for the scabbard and belt. Pretty darned e xp ensive :crazy: but that is some crazy amazing workmanship.[/quote]

Yikes! I am not even gonna bother trying to save up for this bad boy. I'll never get that sort of money :P

At least we have UC's version coming out soon though :)
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Valkrist""]Uhmmm, Fin... this is the interwebz, so it should be:

"Wow, I feel in L33t!!11 company."

;) [/quote]

o of courz, Val teh interwebz rekwire ter oun splzings. sooo leg!t 2 leg!t 2 kwit. :crazy:

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yes, and I think Fin knows that. It's just that Night Rider always seems to get #1 on each of these swords that he buys. If that's not L33t, I don't know what is.[/quote]

Too right. Many of them have MSSC, but the way the line works is you get first dibs on your edition number when the next one comes out and he has dibs on sword numero uno. That is indeed very L33t.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Just been comparing measurement between uc and weta orcrist.

weta-
Blade length: 37.0 in (940 mm)
Total length: 49.2 in (1250 mm

uc-Overall Length: 38 3/4”
Blade Length: 25 7/8”

why is weta's 11 inches longer then uc?

I thought uc version was as close a copy from the original as possible! :huh:
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!"

Uh oh... we need Kit in here ASAP!!! :huh:

Is this another case of actor-scale vs. character-scale?!?

Orcrist is an elven blade, so it's going to look larger in the hands of Thorin, who is a dwarf. This is the same thing that happened with Sting. The UC Sting is scaled to look like it should in the hands of a human vs. that of a hobbit: small. Yet Weta opted to make their MSSC Sting the larger actor-scale, the size it was when held by Elijah Wood. I'm guessing that UC's version is smaller once again because it is the correct scale as seen onscreen when Richard Armitage is digitally scaled down. This would be the correct size if Orcrist were a 'real' sword. Seems Weta has once again gone for actor-scale, a decision that was not popular with Sting fans.

Am I correct? Kit, HELP!!!!
This Space for Rent

Yep I believe it is the larger scaled version. I guess when they do these swords, they figure that the people who buy them want them to be the way they were seen on the actors in the movie. So in the case of Sting and Orcrist, they will be larger than they actually would be.

Here's a good video that shows the two scales. I've posted it before I think but here it is again for anyone who wants to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8k-5ZEFhLE
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

[quote=""Lindir""]Yep I believe it is the larger scaled version. I guess when they do these swords, they figure that the people who buy them want them to be the way they were seen on the actors in the movie. So in the case of Sting and Orcrist, they will be larger than they actually would be.

Here's a good video that shows the two scales. I've posted it before I think but here it is again for anyone who wants to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8k-5ZEFhLE[/quote]

Thanks for reposting the link, Lindir. I hadn't seen this video yet. The scaled up Orcrist is absolutely huge. I, for one, am glad the UC version is sized to match the scale of the other weapons (like the regular Sting is when compared to Glamdring, for example).

I'm counting the days until Orcrist arrives...

[quote=""Night Rider""]Yes it does.Also if they sold only 25 of them then you could buy one until the day peter kicks the bucket...than could be 30 years availability

If you bought one and needed to sell for financial reasons you would lose money or at best get what you payed as its still available from weta brand new.

they still haven't sold the 25 stings,what chance selling 50 orcrists.

Having said that,i have ordered edition #1! :huh: [/quote]
Have you been getting ALL the MSSC #1's?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Night Rider""]yep,and #1 sting shoulds ship in 2-3 weeks.Can not wait. :) [/quote]
HOLY 50 GRAND BATMAN! :coolsmile
I knew someone was working on the whole collection, I think moonglum was taking a shot at it, but it might have been someone else.
Congrats Night.
I, of course, was assuming your getting the belts and scabbards when I said 50k. Are you getting those items as well?
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Fingolfin""]You might just be the only person in the world who has the whole line. If that doesn't deserve a thread to itself, I don't know what would. :thumbs_up [/quote]
I believe there is a thread for MSSC collectors in here.

[quote=""Lindir""] :O please post photos when it arrives. Did you order the fine art edition or just the regular open edition?[/quote]

fine art of course :coolsmile the regular is not number and is an open edition.
[quote=""Thranduil""]HOLY 50 GRAND BATMAN! :coolsmile
I knew someone was working on the whole collection, I think moonglum was taking a shot at it, but it might have been someone else.
Congrats Night.
I, of course, was assuming your getting the belts and scabbards when I said 50k. Are you getting those items as well?[/quote]

I have the belt/scabbard for glam and sting but passed for anduril and ranger,it seemed too e xp ensive a proposition at the time but I really regret it now.scabbard and belt is a must have.They are as beautiful in their own right just as the sword.

a reminder how it all started

[quote=""Night Rider""]fine art of course :coolsmile the regular is not number and is an open edition.

I have the belt/scabbard for glam and sting but passed for anduril and ranger,it seemed too e xp ensive a proposition at the time but I really regret it now.scabbard and belt is a must have.They are as beautiful in their own right just as the sword.

a reminder how it all started

[/quote]
Do you have both belts and scabbards for Glamdring or just the blue one?

[quote=""Valkrist""]Did they even make a white scabbard for the MSSC Glamdring? I thought it was just the blue one... :huh: [/quote]

I'm sure they'd make a white one if the customer asked. Commissioning something like that, where the production costs are going to be astronomical in any scenario, gives both the buyer and maker great flexibility.

Having said that though, no, I haven't heard of anybody asking for their MSSC Glamdring scabbard in white.

EDIT: Night Rider, I do remember Weta saying that they were willing to make scabbards after the fact if you changed your mind later. You could either have them make the scabbards using their measurements they've got on hand or send the sword back to NZ to make sure it fits your individual sword perfectly.
Last edited by Jamanticus on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[quote=""Thranduil""]Do you have both belts and scabbards for Glamdring or just the blue one?[/quote]

Just the blue,i'm not Bill Gates ya know!

That's just a rumour. :coolsmile

[quote=""Jamanticus""]I'm sure they'd make a white one if the customer asked. Commissioning something like that, where the production costs are going to be astronomical in any scenario, gives both the buyer and maker great flexibility.

Having said that though, no, I haven't heard of anybody asking for their MSSC Glamdring scabbard in white.

EDIT: Night Rider, I do remember Weta saying that they were willing to make scabbards after the fact if you changed your mind later. You could either have them make the scabbards using their measurements they've got on hand or send the sword back to NZ to make sure it fits your individual sword perfectly.[/quote]

Seems they changed their mind as with orcrist they say it can not be ordered later!?

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Hmm, interesting. I had heard that you could send it in to have scabbards made. However, I highly doubt they could take it right now, with so much work being done already. In the future though, they'd probably do it.[/quote]

from wetanz orcrist page-

PLEASE NOTE: Any extras such as scabbard and belt MUST be ordered and confirmed at the same time as you place your sword order as these are bespoke items and unique to each sword.

But as you say if they didn't have much going on they would probably do it if you shipped the sword to them

[quote=""Jamanticus""]
EDIT: Night Rider, I do remember Weta saying that they were willing to make scabbards after the fact if you changed your mind later. You could either have them make the scabbards using their measurements they've got on hand or send the sword back to NZ to make sure it fits your individual sword perfectly.[/quote]

I spoke to Darren who did a bit of enquiring for me and he says the workshop won't be making scabbards after a sword is delivered.

I was actually looking into getting a scabbard made for my glamdring.

I think it is a crime that they are charging extra for the scabbard with the jacked up price. I mean, on the website it is shown WITH the scabbard so I personally see a few of people who may not be super knowledgeable with how Weta does their MSSC, may end up raising hell.

I would *consider* this sword and saving for it if the $9000 actually included the scabbard. But now... I don't even dream about it, because I think it is stupidly e xp ensive. Even if I had the money, I could buy a used car and still have money to send to starving children with the amount I would spend on a single item.

Return to “Weta Workshop”