Gandalf's Hat!

http://www.wetanz.com/the-hat-of-gandal ... -267689837

Made by Stansborough themselves!

I am so excited to hear they're making a full-sized replica of in my view the most memorable hat in literature. This'll be a must-have for me :D

They're also doing Bofur's hat.

http://www.wetanz.com/the-hat-of-bofur- ... -267689837
Last edited by Jamanticus on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Re: Gandalf's Hat!

Ok, let me start off by saying that I love it and I want one.

However... (Jaman, don't kill me!)... does anyone else feel the brim looks a little too floppy and irregular? Look at the photo of Gandalf in Jaman's own sig, as well as the screencap on Weta's page for the hat and see how the brim looks stiffer and far more like a circle?

Do you see it, and does it even matter to you, or am I just being super picky?
This Space for Rent

No, I'm right there with you on that, I'm sure there is a little bit of movie magic going on there. Added support and probably some filling in the tip to help keep its shape. My guess is it would come somewhat folded in shipping and you would have to do some adjusting to get it to look the way you want. I also wouldn't be supprised if there wasn't a wire in the brim of the movie version as well.

Either way I think I'll end up ordering one.

While it is a nice item and very iconic, I have to agree with BC. I understand the material and manufacturer are pretty top notch, but the end item doesn't seem to quite convey in that in the pictures (tho I'm sure the real thing is a little better...). I would be more inclined to pick up the scarf, or even try my hand at this: http://www.sallypointer.com/gandalfhat.htm but my collection is pretty heavily focused on weapons, and I barely have room for those.
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

[quote=""Jamanticus""]

http://www.wetanz.com/the-hat-of-gandal ... -267689837

Made by Stansborough themselves!.... This'll be a must-have for me :D

[/quote]

"Gandalf? Gandalf? Oh yes! I remember: elderly chap, big gray beard, pointy hat… " :D

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I'd love to have one, but I would require it actually fit me to spend $200+ on a floppy felt Gandalf hat! Given that the range for US sizing stops at 7 3/8, it would be far too small for my melon of a head...especially so if I were also wearing a thick gray wig. Oh well. I do like the hand-stitched 'repairs' in several spots. Did you guys notice that? If not, check out the pics on the Weta site in full screen mode.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Ok, let me start off by saying that I love it and I want one.

However... (Jaman, don't kill me!)... does anyone else feel the brim looks a little too floppy and irregular? Look at the photo of Gandalf in Jaman's own sig, as well as the screencap on Weta's page for the hat and see how the brim looks stiffer and far more like a circle?

Do you see it, and does it even matter to you, or am I just being super picky?[/quote]
Oh dear, you're right! The brim's droopy as all get out compared to the film version :(

Definitely matters to me, and I think I'll email Weta and ask about this issue. No reason to settle for 80% on such a caliber of head-ware.

Well, just heard back from them and I'm disappointed.

They say on the floppiness that the hats will have variations since they're handmade, that the film hat's appearance is due to on-set demands and weathering.

So, what I get from that is, "We're not going to fix it, it's perfectly fine that it doesn't match the film prop."

:O

Well, I can see where they're coming from. I mean, they're handmade products, so each one willl vary, just like the screen used props I'm sure varied. Plus, those got special attention. I think it's pretty close to impossible to get an exact replica of a piece of clothing, anyway. Cool prop but I won't be getting it...to much money for me.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Just posting because I looked at the hat again, and all of the floppy pictures of the hat are gone, and now the hat sits proud and without huge brim crinkles in each picture.

Certainly looks better now, that's for sure... but I'm still back on the fence as to whether I'm going to purchase it or not. :(

That actually makes me very suspicious, Jaman. The first hat pics show a floppy brim, someone complains, they provide a justification for the floppiness, and then suddenly new pics show up with a non-floppy hat. Does no one else think this is strange?

If they were standing by their e xp lanation, then why change the photos? Are they actually changing the way the hats are made so the new pics are accurate? Or were they so afraid to lose sales due to the floppy hat pictures that they changed the photos, yet the hats will still come as before?

This really makes me not want to buy one because now there's really no way to know what you're getting!
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Relax, they probably just put a stand under it because of the complaint of innacuracy. I suppose if you want a straight brim, you could put it on a stand as well. :huh: [/quote]

Sorry, not going to relax and not speak my mind for something that costs $219 and might be misrepresented. We have a right to know what we're getting, and even you must admit that the whole picture switcheroo seems a tad fishy.
This Space for Rent

I think perhaps something in the way they are made has changed since they first posted the item. I know at that time I reviewed their pics and specs and found that the maximum US size was 7 3/8. Now the site shows US sizing up to 7 1/2. So, that too differs now. It also puts the hat within my size range. Ugh. I like it, but as Val notes, $219 for a dice roll is a pretty pricey gamble!

[quote=""polyphemus""]I think perhaps something in the way they are made has changed since they first posted the item. I know at that time I reviewed their pics and specs and found that the maximum US size was 7 3/8. Now the site shows US sizing up to 7 1/2. So, that too differs now. It also puts the hat within my size range. Ugh. I like it, but as Val notes, $219 for a dice roll is a pretty pricey gamble![/quote]

Since Weta is in NZ and uses the metric system are you sure it's not just a case of xx cm being in between two US sizes and Wetra simply rounded up and not down, which is merely a descriptive and not substantive change. By "adding a larger size" they can hope that more people will buy it.
Another "very fishy" change.

[quote=""Deimos""]Another "very fishy" change.[/quote]

Perhaps, hence my comment that it seemed dicey. :|

Still, though, I happen to have a Gandalf costume with everything but a decent lid. What better version than one crafted in NZ/ME by Stansborough? I think this hat (floppy or not) along with their Hobbit Magical Silver Scarf would be perfect to complete my 'stume! :thumbs_up

I figured I'd put this here. Here are the updated pictures of the adjustments made to help make the hat look more like Gandalf's. 1st I wanted a hat stand so it wasn't just sitting on it's brim. I found a couple of pictures of some old antique hat stands, but the prices were way too high. So I glued a couple of hemlock 2x6's together and rough cut the shape and turned it on my lathe. With a whole bunch of sanding I ended up with this.

As you can see in the other picture I had to add some non-slide fabric to the top to help keep the hat from sliding off. The second thing I did was cut a piece of wire the same diameter as the brim and just stuck it in between the fibers on the bottom side and slide it all the way around. You can't even tell where I put it in due to the thick wool. Next I took some binder clips and put them on the inside securing the folds where I wanted them (2 per fold) and then filled the rest of the cone with poly-fill.

All of these additions are relativity harmless to the hat (except the wire, but can be removed) and here is how it turned out.

And here in my display. I think I may try and add his bag if I can find the right fabric to make it out of.

Last edited by N2darkness on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N2, is that pipe in your display an "official Gandalf collectible pipe" or just a churchwarden you picked up somewhere?

If the latter, where did you find it?

Oh, and nice work on the hat display. :)

[quote=""Deimos""]N2, is that pipe in your display an "official Gandalf collectible pipe" or just a churchwarden you picked up somewhere?

If the latter, where did you find it?

Oh, and nice work on the hat display. :) [/quote]

The pipe is non functional and handmade by me. Its made from polar and I also made Bilbo's that's in my table display as well out of red mahogany. I can try and drag up some other photos, but that would be for a different thread. :thumbs_up

[quote=""N2darkness""]The pipe is non functional and handmade by me. Its made from polar and I also made Bilbo's that's in my table display as well out of red mahogany. I can try and drag up some other photos, but that would be for a different thread. :thumbs_up [/quote]

No...that's okay....you answered my question...thx
MacQueen pipes does a very nice "Wizard's Pipe"....looks pretty close to what Gandalf uses. It's about 15 inches long.

[quote=""Buckeye""]N2, your Gandalf display just keeps getting better and better! Very nice. :) [/quote]
That's for sure.
Move over Weta displays, N2's mini museum continues to be the best display :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

The display is looking fantastic, N2! Very haphazard, like the Wizard himself, and yet everything is organized in its own way. And all the custom stuff in there is awesome. Great job fixing up the hat for display. :coolsmile
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Return to “Weta Workshop”