Diorama Line

So Weta announced on Facebook yesterday that they are working on a 1:30 scale diorama line. You can add to it piece by piece over time. They are currently working on the Dol Guldur scene.
Thoughts? Personally, I'm about done collecting. I think all I really want to add is Eowyn's scabbard, Hadhafang's scabbard and the Guthwine set.

Re: Diorama Line

Yeah, I watched the video over at FoU.

I felt an odd mixture of excitement and apprehension, to be honest.

I feel as you do, Arwyniel. I'm growing weary of collecting, in terms of the lack of space and continued growing expense, and also that I look around sometimes and wonder what the point of it all is, and where it will all end up one day. I was groaning inside because although I think it is an amazing idea and am super excited at the possibilities this opens up in terms of new collectibles, there's just nowhere else to put these things. I know I will feel that almost impossible to resist temptation by the time the first of these are done and begin to hit the market, but I'm hoping I will be able to resist the pull. My wife and wallet will thank me for it. xP
This Space for Rent

I guess they already did an LOTR set of dioramas, which I didn't even know about.

I certainly don't regret all the collectibles I bought in that first heady rush of LOTR merchandise all those years ago, but I also think my collecting days are essentially over. Unless I win the lottery and finish my basement, I don't even have enough room to display the stuff I already have, let alone more. And with the possibility of being forced into early retirement with a house still to pay for, I certainly don't need to get my collecting urges surging again.

None of this is to say that any of you folks shouldn't buy these collectibles, post pictures, and let us know how much you love them!
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Valkrist wrote:I guess Weta's mini-Fellowship set that comes in three pieces can be considered a diorama, but I think that's it.
That's the one. It's what came up when I googled Weta diorama.

At scale of 1:30 how much detail can there be and still be affordable?
Oh, wait...almost nothing Weta makes anymore is affordable.

Seriously, I am not interested in mini diorama.
I have one SS Diorama: Eowyn facing off w/ the Morgul Lord., and I'm crazy about it.
She is so small and he just towers over her.
The detail (as all of you know that have those statues) is incredible.

II won't go so far as to say my collecting days are over.
I don't have the sheer volume of collectibles that you all have, so I can still manage to find a little bit more surface area.
Wall space is hard to come by, so Bard's sword and Guthwine will be the last of swords I get.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos, I too thought 1:30 would be far too small, then I watched that video and had to shut hell up. The Elrond and Ringwraith that are part of the Dol Guldur diorama are nearly finished, and the level of detail was still incredible at that size. Yeah, the prices will be killer, especially having to collect multiple pieces just to complete one scene, but just listening to the crowd over at FoU drowning in their own drool, I'm wondering why I don't have a money tree growing in my yard like they seem to. :'(
This Space for Rent

I might have to check these out. I am mainly concerned with weapon collectibles right now, but I like the idea of some "shelf worthy" pieces. I am pretty much out of room to display swords and any wall hangers, I have quite a bit of stuff in boxes still, but I still live with my dad/sister in a converted garage/den/bedroom... so, one of these days when I grow up and move out, I will have more display room.

And to reflect on Val's reflection of " sometimes and wonder what the point of it all is, and where it will all end up one day." People sometimes ask me why I collect, and all I really can say is that I like it. Some people collect sports memorabilia, some people collect coins or stamps, or guns... books, etc. I feel a connection with worlds created by Tolkien or Martin or Rowling or Roddenberry and these tangible collectibles make these fantasy worlds tangible and represent my fascination with all of it. Something people either understand or they don't. People question why do people dress up and go to ren fests or comic cons and I ask those people, why is dressing up for a con so socially unacceptable, but buying 100s of dollars worth of football jerseys, painting your face to go to a sports game, etc etc or dressing up like a tree to go hunting is socially acceptable?

Anywho, I am excited to see how these dioramas shape up.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

BladeCollector wrote:And to reflect on Val's reflection of " sometimes and wonder what the point of it all is, and where it will all end up one day." People sometimes ask me why I collect, and all I really can say is that I like it. Some people collect sports memorabilia, some people collect coins or stamps, or guns... books, etc. I feel a connection with worlds created by Tolkien or Martin or Rowling or Roddenberry and these tangible collectibles make these fantasy worlds tangible and represent my fascination with all of it. Something people either understand or they don't. People question why do people dress up and go to ren fests or comic cons and I ask those people, why is dressing up for a con so socially unacceptable, but buying 100s of dollars worth of football jerseys, painting your face to go to a sports game, etc etc or dressing up like a tree to go hunting is socially acceptable?
Thank you, my friend, for your very well expressed thoughts on this, with which I concur 10000%! :thumbs_up

This is an interesting idea, but I can't say my interest is strong enough to get me to fork out money. I certainly look forward to pictures and seeing how people fit it into their collections.

Now, if WETA were to release LOTR/Hobbit miniature weapons and armour, I will be reaaaally interested.

Aragorn wrote:...Now, if WETA were to release LOTR/Hobbit miniature weapons and armour, I will be reaaaally interested.
Weta [kinda, sorta] already did that....on those plaques that had groupings of each character's weapons. :laugh:
But I know what you really mean.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote:
Aragorn wrote:...Now, if WETA were to release LOTR/Hobbit miniature weapons and armour, I will be reaaaally interested.
Weta [kinda, sorta] already did that....on those plaques that had groupings of each character's weapons. :laugh:
But I know what you really mean.
WETA had some nice mini replicas of their bigger more expensive district 9 weapon replicas.

I'll be down for something like that for the MSSC line.. Like a mini MSSC.

Return to “Weta Workshop”