Re: Treebeard Weta Masters Collection

Thank you, Idril. It's been a very difficult week, to say the least. :'(

Back to Treebeard, I'm sure everyone noticed that the mystery of the edition size has been revealed to be:

WHY 333?

The edition size of each Masters Collection statue is carefully chosen for its special significance. Treebeard is no exception.

This fine art statue is to be released in a highly Limited Edition of 333, commemorating the date of the Battle of Isengard: The Third Day of the Third Month in the year 3019, in the Third Age of Middle-earth.

This is very cool, but you guys must have also noticed that Treebeard is scheduled to ship by the end of March, according to the product page. What a missed opportunity by Weta. Why? Well, if they could ship him just a couple of weeks earlier, they could have gone for the Third day of the Third month of 2019. Not exactly 333, but with the year matching on 019, you don't come much closer than that.
This Space for Rent

Well, there is a date in late March that's ME significant...very significant.
It doesn't directly relate to Treebeard, but he was certainly affected by it, as were all the free peoples of ME.
So it would be pretty cool if the statue shipped on 25 March. :cheers:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

It's fine with me. I just sold enough other items to pay for this, so that makes me feel a little better. I now need to come up with some sort of display case for him. Thinking of something with a manual turn table or lazy susan built into the bottom that can be turned from the outside. Will have lights and glass on 3 sides. Will be big, but something like this is a centerpiece to any collection and needs to be shown off.

Yep, I've been agonizing over how to best display Treebeard myself. My first thought was just to find a large enough end table of some kind and have him sit on it, but that leaves him vulnerable to walking by, and yes... dust.

Not being as handy as N2 (and lacking the facilities and tools,) I will either have to find something that is commercially available and suitable - no small task, or commission something from a friend of mine who is actually a carpenter by trade. However, he would have to use his job's workshop to do this, which might be tricky.

Much to ponder. :huh:
This Space for Rent

I have commissioned a carpenter friend to make a display case for my Treebeard. Made of oak with the display area having glass on three sides and possibly a mirror on the back (still not sure about that), and some storage below.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

N2darkness wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:59 am It's fine with me. I just sold enough other items to pay for this, so that makes me feel a little better. I now need to come up with some sort of display case for him. Thinking of something with a manual turn table or lazy susan built into the bottom that can be turned from the outside. Will have lights and glass on 3 sides. Will be big, but something like this is a centerpiece to any collection and needs to be shown off.
Since taking the wood shop class (since Autumn 2016) I feel confident enough to make a stand something along the lines of your description.
Not sure if I want 3 glass sides and a wood side or 4 glass sides. And I may motorize the lazy susan.
Is there a weight spec for the statue? Not the shipping weight, the true weight.
If I motorize the turntable I'll need to get a motor that has the necessary torque for the weight.
Idril wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:00 am That’s a relief actually. May is much better timing for me. I too will have to start thinking of the display situation as I’m certainly not dusting him.
Payment in May is definitely much better for me also.

Deimos wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:37 pm Since taking the wood shop class (since Autumn 2016) I feel confident enough to make a stand something along the lines of your description.
Not sure if I want 3 glass sides and a wood side or 4 glass sides. And I may motorize the lazy susan.
Is there a weight spec for the statue? Not the shipping weight, the true weight.
If I motorize the turntable I'll need to get a motor that has the necessary torque for the weight.
I had thought about that. but due to the added expense and engineering involved versus the actual use of the item, I'm just going to use a $20 lazy susan that will hold more than enough weight. I'm pretty sure I'll only use the feature a handful of times anyway. I'm really looking forward to seeing this masterpiece in person, by far and away the most expensive piece I have ever purchased.

Yep...depending on the weight it may require a good sized motor....and at that point I may opt for the "manual method" also :laugh:

Valkrist wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:17 pm Having glass on three sides of the case will be enough for me and for people to get a good look from a different angle. Not big on the idea of a mirror to see the back because of the effect it creates with reflecting everything else.
I definitely do not want any mirrors.
Does the stand you are considering only come with 3 glass sides and one mirror side? Are there any other options?

Sorry Deimos, I should have been clearer as I was really referencing Buckeye's idea for hers of three glass sides and possibly a mirror on the back. Definitely no mirror for me. Whatever I end up with, it will either have a solid back or glass all the way around. If only the IKEA Detolf units were a little bigger... :'(
This Space for Rent

@N2...are you going to use real glass or something along the lines of Lucite/acrylic sheet?
I'm considering the LuciteLux...museum grade optical clarity and it never yellows. Also about half the weight of glass of identical thickness.
Also about 5,6,7,8 times the cost of glass (not sure exactly how much but I know it isn't cheap).

Deimos wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:03 pm @N2...are you going to use real glass or something along the lines of Lucite/acrylic sheet?
I'm considering the LuciteLux...museum grade optical clarity and it never yellows. Also about half the weight of glass of identical thickness.
Also about 5,6,7,8 times the cost of glass (not sure exactly how much but I know it isn't cheap).
I'll probably use glass as it is tougher and doesn't scratch as easily. Most of my experience with Lucite/Acrylic/Plexiglass is it isn't super durable and prone to static. I know you can get some sprays to help.

Glass just sounds like a cheaper /easier option.

Anyone get a Weta email with a video that shows how to assemble Treebeard?
All I can say is that you had better take quite a few picture of it once you get the major appendages in place , but prior to adding all the color coded leafy branches.
I.e., take pics of the statue with the color tags still in place, pics of the branches as they are in their color group, and then still more pics (like close-ups) of all the leafy branches in place. That way if you have to even partially disassemble it later you have a reasonably good idea of what leafy branch goes where.

jeez louise.... I'll bet the MC Gollum didn't require this much "hands-on" assembly......

Idril wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:00 pm I’m hoping the point of the ‘leafy branches’ that you poke in are colour coded. Might be worth adding a spot of paint if they aren’t.

I’ll have to be careful cause I’m not going to display him just yet. So I HAVE to put him back in the box....
Ditto....still have to make the stand, so he stays in the box (after inspection) until stand is finished.

Waiting on my Moducase and Treebeard at the same time... without a shipping notice for TB, at this rate, the estimated turnaround rate of 15 weeks for the Moducase could mean it might beat Treebeard to my door.

If it wasn't for Buckeye getting her shipping notice today, I'd say the US warehouse is staffed by Ents. :angry:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:21 pm Waiting on my Moducase and Treebeard at the same time... without a shipping notice for TB, at this rate, the estimated turnaround rate of 15 weeks for the Moducase could mean it might beat Treebeard to my door.

If it wasn't for Buckeye getting her shipping notice today, I'd say the US warehouse is staffed by Ents. :angry:
Fifteen weeks for your Moducase?!? That's crazy. Are they backordered or just that slow?

As for Treebeard, I was pleasantly surprised to get my shipping notice. I was beginning to think it would be another week's wait. I think you'll get yours fairly soon. Once shipped, how long do your Weta packages take to reach you In Canada?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Moducase: no idea, it's just what Valar posted over at FoU. I find the time baffling since it doesn't even come assembled. It comes from Singapore but even that can't account for the time, so I have to guess that yeah, they're backordered and are building more to meet the orders.

Weta shipping: normally two weeks at most from the warehouse to my door, sometimes just one week. However, I currently have four orders in shipping limbo and have contacted Weta for some answers.
This Space for Rent

Mine is currently "in shipment" ...got the tracking number and it shows the shipment originating in the US, so I guess it will be on my doorstep sometime next week. Dang thing weighs in at almost 70 lbs. I'm hoping that is the combined weight of both cartons.

Buckeye / Val...which Moducase did you buy? And if it comes with lighting did you get the cool white or the warm white LEDs?

Deimos wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 am Buckeye / Val...which Moducase did you buy? And if it comes with lighting did you get the cool white or the warm white LEDs?
Buckeye is having her case custom made. I think I'm the only one on this forum that ordered this Moducase: https://ca.moducase.xyz/product/df130-d ... %e2%80%b3/

I got it with the reinforced bottom option, the warm white LEDs, and the black frame and back panel. They charge you only half as a deposit upon ordering, and the remainder when it ships.
This Space for Rent

I thought that might be the one you had ordered.
I was more curious about the LEDS choices. I don't care for the look of cool white LEDS (too harsh, too "blue-ish"), so given a choice I tend toward the Warm white.
But I had (and still have) no idea how something like painted resin looks under the different LED "whites".
So, do you know? I mean, have you displayed your polystone under a variety of lighting to know what looks best?

My experience is somewhat limited, but...

The ceiling light in my collection room is cool white, but then with the angles, distance and having the statues on shelves, it creates enough distance and shadows that there is no glaring effect on them. Both in my Billy bookcases and my Detolf display cabinets, I put in some battery-powered puck lights that are warm white and not very bright, and that gives the statues a nice, enhanced appearance. I don't often have these on though, mainly only when someone comes to look at my collection.

I opted for the warm white lights on the Moducase based on the recommendation of the collector over at FoU that directed me to the Moducase in the first place. He said he's tried both and finds that the warm lights work best with these kind of statues, and I would agree. He also said the same you did about cool white being too harsh up close. Seemed like an easy decision after that.
This Space for Rent

Very much obliged to you Mr Valkrist, sir. :bowing:
Excellent explanation...recommendation(s) are good enough for me. Saves me the extra time (and money) of experimenting. :thumbs_up

Deimos wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:14 am I thought that might be the one you had ordered.
I was more curious about the LEDS choices. I don't care for the look of cool white LEDS (too harsh, too "blue-ish"), so given a choice I tend toward the Warm white.
But I had (and still have) no idea how something like painted resin looks under the different LED "whites".
So, do you know? I mean, have you displayed your polystone under a variety of lighting to know what looks best?
Val's correct. I commissioned a carpenter friend to make a display case, and it's being delivered on Saturday. The thing is HUGE, so I went conservative on the interior display space, making it just big enough for Treebeard in the glassed-in top portion (the bottom portion will provide some storage). With so little maneuvering room, it will be an interesting, challenging, and slightly terrifying process getting the statue safely inside . . . especially now that people are reporting an overal height one inch more than cited on the Weta web site or by Daniel on the FoU. :( Wish me good luck, LOL.

As for lighting, I must admit that I don't have lighting for any of my current pieces. This case will have lights, and I requested warm white.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Deimos wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:55 am Mine is currently "in shipment" ...got the tracking number and it shows the shipment originating in the US, so I guess it will be on my doorstep sometime next week. Dang thing weighs in at almost 70 lbs. I'm hoping that is the combined weight of both cartons.
Have you seen any tracking updates indicating your boxes are in transit? It's been two days, and my info still says "order processed: ready for UPS." :angry:

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:38 pm Have you seen any tracking updates indicating your boxes are in transit? It's been two days, and my info still says "order processed: ready for UPS." :angry:
Nope, mine says the same thing. I even contacted Weta last week asking about when it was going to ship. Since I got my tracking number yesterday my case is now closed. I found a phone number for Transgroup from some old emails from when I had a return take over a month and Darren was still in CS. I think I may call tomorrow if there is no movement tonight.

Here is the on-line info
Local: (206) 244-0330
Toll Free: (800) 444-0294

And from 2017 Rick Seymour was the Warehouse Manager, so if you really want to get some info call this guy.
Office: (206) 241-1514
TF: 800-358-8260
Fax: 206-241-2166
Mobile: 206-571-3276

Yikes, one inch may not seem like a lot but it is a huge miscalculation on Weta's part when everyone is scrambling to come up with ways to display this statue, some of them quite expensive. So he jumped from 40.35" to 41.35"? Luckily, the inner dimensions of the Moducase give a height of 49.5", so plenty of room to spare for Mr. Tall.

As for shipping, still no email, still no nothing. I emailed Weta over 24 hours ago asking what was going on and have not gotten a response yet. :cursing_r
This Space for Rent

Does anyone's tracking info give a delivery date?
The info on mine says delivery is scheduled for Tuesday, 7 May by end of day.
I don't know if that will really happen, but the last entry says "Shipped"

Deimos wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:57 pm Does anyone's tracking info give a delivery date?
Mine now shows "In Transit" and has a delivery date of 5/3 tomorrow, just hope they both show up and don't get separated.

Valkrist wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:08 pm Yikes, one inch may not seem like a lot but it is a huge miscalculation on Weta's part when everyone is scrambling to come up with ways to display this statue, some of them quite expensive. So he jumped from 40.35" to 41.35"?
Okay, I did some formal number crunching and did overstate my concern a bit. The Weta web site states 40.35 inches. The end of the assembly video states 1040 millimeters, or 40.95 inches. If the latter measurement is correct that's a difference of +.60, or more than half an inch. It still worries me.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Deimos wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:57 pm Does anyone's tracking info give a delivery date?
Mine now says in transit and scheduled for delivery by end of day Thursday, May 9th. It's going to be a long week of waiting . . .

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

I have one box..... I think it is the big box. Looks like the other won’t get delivered today. Monday is a holiday. Seems next Tuesday or Wednesday before I get the other box. Grrrrr

On a bright note...........

I scored #3

Edit: The second box just arrived. It is the BIG box. Where am I going to store these HUGE boxes......

#3 … ?!? You serious? Man, some people have all the luck... it's almost like they know people at Weta or something... :huh:

Just kidding! That is awesome and very happy for you! Glad your Treebeard and his bits weren't separated for very long. Yes, I'm dreading finding room for those boxes also.

In other news, finally got a response from Anika: my Treebeard has a tracking number and is waiting for UPS to pick it up. She had to pry it out of the warehouse's clutches and she pretty much admitted that they are having... issues. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

Step one of a three-part process was accomplished today. My talented carpenter friend delivered my display case this afternoon. It's absolutely wonderful, and couldn't be any happier! This is a quick pic talken on a really dreary day, but here you go:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/08t1q586olzdn ... 4.jpg?dl=0

The next step is to get the lighting installed. Hopefully, that will happen later this week.

The third step is the arrival of Treebeard and getting him unboxed and set up, most likely on Saturday or Sunday. :thumbs_up
Last edited by Buckeye on Sun May 05, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

That will be a great display for him Buckeye.

It is quite exhausting trying to put the big guy together. I wouldn’t try to put him together in your display case Buckeye. Perhaps a table at around the same height so you can slide him into it. It would be quite impossible putting those little branches on the back if he was assembled where you couldn’t see and reach the back. I’m starting to wonder if it would be better putting the little branches on as you assemble it and not wait till the end. You end up taking pieces back off to put it little ones on and remove the stickers.

Return to “Weta Workshop”