Re: New Sculpt Bilbo at his Writing Desk

I had earmarked mine to sell….. until I saw the look on one of my kids face. I do really like it but I could part with it. Of course the price they go for is in it’s favour. Still, not happening now.

You could be right Deimos. It certainly could happen that way. Won’t be in the next 5 years but maybe. I don’t think I’d be interested though. There was a time I considered getting that one the guy makes in Poland(?). It is huge and amazing.

Oh my Val, do you not see that you just [inadvertantly?] gave more weight to my argument?

But first, to respond in an orderly manner....
It's not quite case of trying to convince myself more than any of you.
It's more like an open plea to Weta, "C' mon guys, I've just explained all the positives. How can you not do this?"

But I think you are on the mark about a Lorian MC....we will see that first.
I had quite forgotten about Lorien being the perfect plum for an MC version.

OK...
"... I came to terms with how small and overpriced it is."
Recall what I said about it being small--- that's it, just that it's so small for something so big--- and what it goes for on the secondary market , of which I'm quite sure Weta is aware ($1500... $1800.... $2400).

Not only that, I've gone more and more book purist with that depiction of one of the topmost iconic places in ME.
Recall what I said about its significance (by representation) of the history/lore and culture of ME.
Few other structures or monuments are its rival in how it visually overwhelms you...Minas Tirith maybe, [un-ruined] Orthanc also.

"....And it bothers me to no end that it is Elendil that they put on there and not Anarion. It irritates me every time I see it....
Recall what I said how Weta can dodge a charge of reneging on its 'LEs will not be re-issued' promise? It can make the MC version slightly different.
Truth be told I had exactly that change/correction (Anarion for Elendil) in mind.
But it would no longer an exact LOTR movie environment, so maybe Weta would not make that change. ***
But there are others it can make, simply because the thing would be bigger....e.g., the boats, the people in the boats, can be more detailed.

***Edit..... this could still be a legit change.
If the Bezos Series at some point shows the Argonath---say, in its construction as it is hewed from solid rock------there is no reason why it should not have Anarion in place of Elendil.
In which case the MC one would have Anarion as well.
And being a collectible aimed in part at people who have watched the series, it would make sense to sculpt the "Anarion version".

(Weta in its damage control mode : "It is NOT a re-issue of the original LE Argonath! The new one has Isildur and Anarion, not Isildur and Elendil!" :rolleye: :laugh:)
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Idril wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:42 pm I had earmarked mine to sell….. until I saw the look on one of my kids face. I do really like it but I could part with it. Of course the price they go for is in it’s favour. Still, not happening now.

You could be right Deimos. It certainly could happen that way. Won’t be in the next 5 years but maybe. I don’t think I’d be interested though. There was a time I considered getting that one the guy makes in Poland(?). It is huge and amazing.
I never saw that huge one....do you have a link?

Like you I would not be interested in the MC version, primarily because it would take up too much space.
But make no mistake, if the Argonath were issued as a MC I would have my eyes peeled for the smaller one being let go by someone who wants the bigger one.
I do want an Argonath.

*takes a sniff of Deimos' mug*

I'll take a double shot of whatever you're drinking! :O

Seriously though, I think we have about as much of a chance of Weta doing an Argonath (and an MC one, at that) with Anarion as we do of UC making your dream Barrow Blades for the LOTR line. Add in some pigs sprouting wings and a snowflake landing intact on the ground in hell, and you've got yourself your wish. To further stress the unlikelihood of creating a character out of nowhere for something that's not covered under their collectibles licence, it would be the same as them putting out 1:6 statues of Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel.

Also, did we ever get confirmation that Weta is in any way involved with the Amazon production?

Sorry, I'm raining on your parade, but do so knowing you well enough that you don't care, but I just don't see it happening. Maybe we will get another Argonath one day, but one with Anarion? Not if it has anything to do with the movies and Weta, and if Amazon, I recall them saying they are maintaining continuity with the PJ movies, so I think that Anarion, sadly, will remain confined to written form.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:47 pm *takes a sniff of Deimos' mug*

I'll take a double shot of whatever you're drinking! :O
Just tea (unadulterated, even....)
Valkrist wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:47 pm
Seriously though, I think we have about as much of a chance of Weta doing an Argonath (and an MC one, at that) with Anarion as we do of UC making your dream Barrow Blades for the LOTR line. Add in some pigs sprouting wings and a snowflake landing intact on the ground in hell, and you've got yourself your wish. To further stress the unlikelihood of creating a character out of nowhere for something that's not covered under their collectibles licence, it would be the same as them putting out 1:6 statues of Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel.

Also, did we ever get confirmation that Weta is in any way involved with the Amazon production?

Sorry, I'm raining on your parade, but do so knowing you well enough that you don't care, but I just don't see it happening. Maybe we will get another Argonath one day, but one with Anarion? Not if it has anything to do with the movies and Weta, and if Amazon, I recall them saying they are maintaining continuity with the PJ movies, so I think that Anarion, sadly, will remain confined to written form.
Didn't know that , about the continuity promise.
No, I'm not upset by your popping my balloon (I have a whole ziploc full of balloons... I just pull out another, inflate it, and continue with my solitary parade :laugh: )
So, I don't have crystal ball but, well, stranger things have happened at Weta.
It could change ownership, the economic situation(s) can change significantly in 10 (or 15) years such that what was once unthinkable and subject to vehement denial, might just happen.
But that is why I said I was willing to make a token bet, but not put the house up. ;)
Last edited by Deimos on Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Not sure I have a link for the big Argonath but I’ll have a look around and see if I can find it or a pic of it.

As far as the Anarion discussion. You are both forgetting the licence. They can’t make anything that is outside of the movie. They have no licence for anything from the book. Or for that matter the Amazon series (yet - or at least not that I’m aware of). Before you bring up the John Howe bronze/faux bronzes - they were released under JHs licence I believe.

Idril wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 pm Not sure I have a link for the big Argonath but I’ll have a look around and see if I can find it or a pic of it.

As far as the Anarion discussion. You are both forgetting the licence. They can’t make anything that is outside of the movie. They have no licence for anything from the book. Or for that matter the Amazon series (yet - or at least not that I’m aware of). Before you bring up the John Howe bronze/faux bronzes - they were released under JHs licence I believe.
True, but the licensing matter will be taken care of in whatever manner is agreeable to all parties.
No one is in this business (operative word "business") for altruistic reasons. Everyone wants to make money.
And you may be quite certain Bezos will apply every means at his disposal (up to and including friendly, and even not so friendly, arm-twisting) to obtain the license(s).

Anyway, lots of conjecture (and hope, on my part).
But if it happens, remember: You read it here, first! :laugh:

Return to “Weta Workshop”