Re: New Sculpt Bilbo at his Writing Desk

BladeCollector wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 am When I see prices like these, although a gorgeous item, makes me glad I never really got on board the weta collection train. The only weta item I have is the Pre Ruin Orthanc :)

I have that one also....what was the price?... something like $250?
I also have Rivendell and the Danbury Mint [used] Minas Tirith and the open edition of Bag End.
4 enviros.... not a lot compared to what most Weta [enviro] collectors have.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I paid full price for both Orthanc and Rivendell ($399).
Bag End at one of those Weta year -end sales was only $90, and DM Minas Tirith (ebay) ...I think it was right around $100.

Wow! I'm not acquainted with the Weta statues the way you all are but this looks like an outstanding piece. I'm a little undecided as to which version to get though (kudos to Weta for actually having an accommodating preorder). Bag End is winning for me at the moment (especially if I could position it in a way to have light shine through the window like the picture) but I have to say I do like the simplicity of just the desk (and the price tag :) )

Side note- I hope the "recent topics" column goes back to how it was before. I kept seeing the same topics and wondering why the forum was so quiet lol.

Valkrist wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:48 pm
Ronin wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:19 pm Is anybody here still undecided on which Bilbo to get? I'm still torn. I'm hoping to make up my mind and get my order in by tonight.
*puts hand up*

I'm waiting until Sunday to make my final decision. Definitely leaning towards the big one, but haven't fully fallen to the dark side yet.
(Emperor's voice)
Fulfill your destiny.

Val I gotta say while I feel improper encouraging another to spend that much money, for someone as passionate a collector as you are, I would hate for you to regret missing out on such a quintessential piece.

I'm leaning towards the big one too. While it's definitely a lot to spend, it'll be my one and only weta statue/diorama and, again, it's a quintessential piece so that helps justify the price somewhat for me. However I must say again I really do like the simplicity of the Desk statue. It puts all the focus on Bilbo which I love.

I'll definitely get one of them of course. One thing to consider is buying the Classic statue later on will be much easier than finding the Limited Edition for sale.

Ronin wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:26 pm ...
I'm leaning towards the big one too. While it's definitely a lot to spend, it'll be my one and only weta statue/diorama and, again, it's a quintessential piece so that helps justify the price somewhat for me. However I must say again I really do like the simplicity of the Desk statue. It puts all the focus on Bilbo which I love....
If it's the only [LOTR] Weta Statue you plan on owning then it is most definitely the one to go for, whichever version you decide on.
(Just my unsolicited 2 cents).

Idril wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:18 pm Times a ticking Val…….

Although you may have a day more than I think due to the time zone. Unless the end date is 21st June NZ time.
The website says June 21 PDT (Pacific), and it is currently 1 AM here on Sunday the 20th.

The email that they sent with the clock timer says I have 1 day and just shy of 13 hours, which means it should end for me on Monday at 2 PM. Sounds like I don't have to run for it just yet. ;)
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:06 pm
Idril wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:18 pm Times a ticking Val…….

Although you may have a day more than I think due to the time zone. Unless the end date is 21st June NZ time.
The website says June 21 PDT (Pacific), and it is currently 1 AM here on Sunday the 20th.

The email that they sent with the clock timer says I have 1 day and just shy of 13 hours, which means it should end for me on Monday at 2 PM. Sounds like I don't have to run for it just yet. ;)
Step right up folks, don't be shy. Time to place your bets on Valkrist's decision, coming right down to the wire.

(With apologies to Lewis Carroll...)
Will he, won't he, will he, won't he, will he order Bilbo?
Will he, won't he, will he, won't he, won't he order Bilbo?

I myself am putting put down 100 castars that say ....he will.

Deimos wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:23 am
Ronin wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:26 pm ...
I'm leaning towards the big one too. While it's definitely a lot to spend, it'll be my one and only weta statue/diorama and, again, it's a quintessential piece so that helps justify the price somewhat for me. However I must say again I really do like the simplicity of the Desk statue. It puts all the focus on Bilbo which I love....
If it's the only [LOTR] Weta Statue you plan on owning then it is most definitely the one to go for, whichever version you decide on.
(Just my unsolicited 2 cents).
Oh I'm definitely getting one or the other. In fact, Desk Bilbo just took the lead in my head. I'll explain why...

So I read some talk about shipping cost over at FOA. One member estimated "500-600" shipping to the US. "Dollars?!", I thought, "Well that can't be right." I log in to my Weta account and I see I still have the Gandalf Pipe staff sitting in my cart. The shipping for it from NZ to the US is $800!!! When I bought it a couple of years ago, it had shipped from a US warehouse so it wasn't too pricey. The only things I've ordered that shipped from NZ were the One Ring and a few various smaller replicas and art prints. I thought the shipping cost would be somewhere in the 150-200 range. Oh what a sweet kid I am. Now I see what you've been struggling with, Val. Holy moly. If the final shipping estimate is indeed 500+, that puts the cost of this piece at over $2K. And if you have any QC issues and have to ship it back...oh boy.

I think I'll be very happy with just Bilbo at his desk. Haha

Edit: Big Bad Toy Store has flat rate shipping. So does Deep Discount and a 10% promo code. There might still be a chance here. Still though if there's a QC issue...

Ronin, I could understand that shipping cost if the Bilbo statue was in fact shipping from NZ, but I'm 99.99% certain that he's shipping from the US warehouse for customers in North America. Still super expensive for Canada at the end of the day, but the US address shipping amount should come in below $200.

I'm curious what you read and where exactly as I'm afraid you might have misunderstood something that was said. I think US customers are quite safe on this one.

Edit: I just ordered it. Someone pay Deimos what she's owed for winning the bet. xP

Ronin, it explicitly said in the ordering process that it would ship from the US. There is no way it will cost what you are projecting, even if there is no shipping amount yet (I hate that new way of doing this, btw).

A big massive thanks to N2 for making this possible. :bowing:
This Space for Rent

Congrats Val and hopefully peer pressure didn't plan any influence? I'm glad I could help as I think this will be an absolute stunning piece and hopefully Weta delivers!

As for the US shipping costs, I'm not sure where those crazy high numbers came from, but my Treebeard only cost $75 and weighed almost 60 lbs and was in a huge box. I know that was a few years ago, but I still don't expect to be over $60.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:29 am Ronin, I could understand that shipping cost if the Bilbo statue was in fact shipping from NZ, but I'm 99.99% certain that he's shipping from the US warehouse for customers in North America. Still super expensive for Canada at the end of the day, but the US address shipping amount should come in below $200.

I'm curious what you read and where exactly as I'm afraid you might have misunderstood something that was said. I think US customers are quite safe on this one.

Edit: I just ordered it. Someone pay Deimos what she's owed for winning the bet. xP

Ronin, it explicitly said in the ordering process that it would ship from the US. There is no way it will cost what you are projecting, even if there is no shipping amount yet (I hate that new way of doing this, btw).

A big massive thanks to N2 for making this possible. :bowing:
Yeah I went back and reread it (Bilbo statue thread at FOU). I did in fact misunderstand. The "500-600" was referencing something else but it was mentioned while also talking about shipping costs so I got them mixed up.

Okay that makes sense. Seeing the price of a shipped Gandalf staff falsely stoked my impression of what the price might be. And again since I've never bought a statue, I at first assumed they ship from US warehouses but wasn't 100% sure and thought maybe they all ship from NZ.

Thanks for keeping me straight, Val. This staute buying game is no joke haha.

Nope, the pressure was mostly internal, with about 15% of it coming from my wife where she kept warning me I would regret it I didn't order it, so.... here we are. :club:

On a side note, for the first time that I can recall, upon placing the order, I did not get a confirmation email from Weta. It's very odd because every other order I've placed, it comes within seconds of hitting the order button. I checked my account, and the order is there, so I'm confident everything is ok, but still strange that the email did not come through... yet?
This Space for Rent

N2darkness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:12 am Congrats Val and hopefully peer pressure didn't plan any influence? I'm glad I could help as I think this will be an absolute stunning piece and hopefully Weta delivers!

As for the US shipping costs, I'm not sure where those crazy high numbers came from, but my Treebeard only cost $75 and weighed almost 60 lbs and was in a huge box. I know that was a few years ago, but I still don't expect to be over $60.
Yeah I flubbed on that one xP

Ronin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:18 am
Yeah I went back and reread it (Bilbo statue thread at FOU). I did in fact misunderstand. The "500-600" was referencing something else but it was mentioned while also talking about shipping costs so I got them mixed up.

Okay that makes sense. Seeing the price of a shipped Gandalf staff falsely stoked my impression of what the price might be. And again since I've never bought a statue, I at first assumed they ship from US warehouses but wasn't 100% sure and thought maybe they all ship from NZ.

That sounds like the number I quoted in that thread, but that is literally what it will cost *me* ordering from *Canada*, not the US.

I can understand the Staff though. If it ships from NZ, and owing to the length of the box, I fully believe the number is just brutal. Luckily, I tend to stick with UC for my staves, and the only Weta one I have is Thranduil's, and that was ordered through Secret Compass in Colorado.
This Space for Rent

Val, what happens at the border, at Customs?
You said something a while back about still having to pay a hefty import fee, regardless of the statue being shipped directly to you or you picking it up in the US and driving back to Canada.
Is it a case of the Customs agent (in his best Clemenza voice) saying, " Alright you mug, outta the car. Take the cannoli. Leave the statue."
Or does one guy throw against the side of the car and frisk you, while the other one rips out the dashboard?
Just wondering what an inspection is like, such that they would know that you are [illegally?] transporting a hobbit across international borders.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:23 am
Ronin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:18 am

That sounds like the number I quoted in that thread, but that is literally what it will cost *me* ordering from *Canada*, not the US.

I can understand the Staff though. If it ships from NZ, and owing to the length of the box, I fully believe the number is just brutal. Luckily, I tend to stick with UC for my staves, and the only Weta one I have is Thranduil's, and that was ordered through Secret Compass in Colorado.
Yeah I think that's part of where I got mixed up. Gosh, I can't believe they hit you that hard with shipping and import duties. That's obscene.

Deimos, having watched multiple seasons of Border Security on TV, the process seems very arbitrary, but imported goods don't typically catch the eye of customs agents for an inspection unless it is coming from a suspect country of origin, or there is something off or suspicious about the package itself. At the bare minimum, it goes through an xray, and then it gets cleared if they don't flag anything about it. In nearly 20 years of collecting, I've never had a Weta package inspected, and only one from UC that was.

Costs is where the problem lies for me.

Though I live a mere three hours from the warehouse, because it is considered international shipping, the cost rate immediately escalates by about 200%. Then they add import taxes for an item bought abroad (the government wants its cut), and customs fees for processing. This is usually tolerable except when the item due to size and weight, gets passed off to UPS instead of USPS.

UPS costs most than the postal service right off the base cost. Worse, they then add their ridiculously high brokerage fees, which they claim is their charge for paying all the other fees and taxes on the customer's behalf while clearing the item. The amount they charge for this is insane compared to what the service entails. It's a total scam, but they will hold you hostage and not release the package unless you pay it. Add more taxes over those fees and a fuel surcharge, and yes, Bilbo would cost me around $500-$600 more just to arrive in my hands.

So... off to Andrew's doorstep it goes.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:19 am Nope, the pressure was mostly internal, with about 15% of it coming from my wife where she kept warning me I would regret it I didn't order it, so.... here we are. :club:

On a side note, for the first time that I can recall, upon placing the order, I did not get a confirmation email from Weta. It's very odd because every other order I've placed, it comes within seconds of hitting the order button. I checked my account, and the order is there, so I'm confident everything is ok, but still strange that the email did not come through... yet?
I just pre-ordered Kira from the Dark Crystal and received an email from Weta, but had to check as it went to my "promotions" box. Maybe yours went there too?

Congrats Val. It will be a nice drive anyway and a bonus that you get to catch up with Andrew again.

On the email front - that has happened to me. Usually when weta server is very busy. It should come through later on. If it is in your account though, an invoice number has been raised so all good. But if it doesn’t, you could ask them.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:52 am Deimos, having watched multiple seasons of Border Security on TV, the process seems very arbitrary, but imported goods don't typically catch the eye of customs agents for an inspection unless it is coming from a suspect country of origin, or there is something off or suspicious about the package itself. At the bare minimum, it goes through an xray, and then it gets cleared if they don't flag anything about it. In nearly 20 years of collecting, I've never had a Weta package inspected, and only one from UC that was.

Costs is where the problem lies for me.

Though I live a mere three hours from the warehouse, because it is considered international shipping, the cost rate immediately escalates by about 200%. Then they add import taxes for an item bought abroad (the government wants its cut), and customs fees for processing. This is usually tolerable except when the item due to size and weight, gets passed off to UPS instead of USPS.

UPS costs most than the postal service right off the base cost. Worse, they then add their ridiculously high brokerage fees, which they claim is their charge for paying all the other fees and taxes on the customer's behalf while clearing the item. The amount they charge for this is insane compared to what the service entails. It's a total scam, but they will hold you hostage and not release the package unless you pay it. Add more taxes over those fees and a fuel surcharge, and yes, Bilbo would cost me around $500-$600 more just to arrive in my hands.

So... off to Andrew's doorstep it goes.
Hey Val, two options I might suggest (if you've already heard of and considered these - please ignore). As I have the exact same issues you stated....

1) Anything shipped into Canada not using domestic services (USPS. Canada Post, etc) - you can go around the brokerage fees. It's a hassle, but with the more expensive items - is worth it. You need to tell them ahead of time (or decline the parcel when they drop it off) that you'll be clearing customs on your own. Which requires you to get the forms from UPS (for example), go to a designated customs clearance centre (for me it's near the Airport), claim the package and pay your tax. Take the completed forms to pick up the package from UPS. If brokerage is only $20, it's not worth the hassle, but if it's over $100 - you bet that's the route i'll take lol.

2) I'm not sure how close you are to the border... But where I am, there's at least 2 companies (well, small shipping storage warehouses) that offer a "pickup service". They're located on the US side of the border. You have the parcel shipped to them (taking advantage of US shipping prices), they usually charge a small holding fee (very minimal in my experience). You must drive across the border, and on the way back into Canada, claim the parcel. So you're still paying the taxes - but you save on the brokerage, customs, and international shipping. This only works if you're within driving distance of the border. As a bonus - I usually fill up my tank and buy some US only Oreos and Drinks to take back for the family haha. Or if you're doing a weekend trip to the States for whatever reason - just pick up the packages en route. Obviously right now this is problematic due to the pandemic closures (as I currently have 6 packages stuck there for over a year :( ).

Anyways, hope that helps. If not your specific scenario - then maybe another fellow Canuck, eh :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

I usually fill up my tank and buy some US only Oreos and Drinks to take back for the family haha.

Wait. ...WAIT!....WAIT JUST A SECOND!!!

You don't have OREOS??!!! :jaw:

Why, I'm...speechless! And, my dear sir, there is nothing "HAHA" about it! How on earth do you survive??? :O
And all these years I had been led to believe that our Northern neighbors were as civilized as we.
Oh my, have I ever been deceived! .......No Oreos...how sad.....

Deimos wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:32 pm I usually fill up my tank and buy some US only Oreos and Drinks to take back for the family haha.

Why, I'm...speechless! And, my dear sir, there is nothing "HAHA" about it! How on earth do you survive??? :O
And all these years I had been led to believe that our Northern neighbors were as civilized as we.
Oohhh No No - that would definitely drop Canadian civilization back a few steps lol. Sorry, I meant the Oreo flavours only available in the US. We get a fraction (maybe half?) of what "ya'll" do. When i did part of my schooling in the US, every trip home my sister made me bring back different Oreo flavours... otherwise I wasn't allowed to visit haha. She has collected all the packaging from all the various ones she's tried.

Jash wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:01 pm
Deimos wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:32 pm I usually fill up my tank and buy some US only Oreos and Drinks to take back for the family haha.

Oohhh No No - that would definitely drop Canadian civilization back a few steps lol. Sorry, I meant the Oreo flavours only available in the US. We get a fraction (maybe half?) of what "ya'll" do. When i did part of my schooling in the US, every trip home my sister made me bring back different Oreo flavours... otherwise I wasn't allowed to visit haha. She has collected all the packaging from all the various ones she's tried.
Well, that is quite a relief to learn. :db:
I have been considering a trip to Banff National Park, and when I thought I wouldn't be able to get Oreos, well, perhaps I will not take the trip after all (unless I bring my own).
Little tangential story, but true: I took a month off to tour Scotland on my bike (1984).
My brother, who had visited the UK 5 years prior, warned me that peanut butter was not available, at least not what we in the US call peanut butter.

So I really did take my own jar of peanut butter with me.
The Scots were simultaneously fascinated and repelled by it.
I offered to share some, but they would have none of it. :laugh:

Anyway, I am a "plain Oreos" gal. Not even "Double Stuff". Just the original Oreos (to be dunked in milk whenever possible.)

Jash, thanks, yes I am actually aware of option 1. I found a while back that you can do that from other angry Canadians posting about this online. I live about 20 minutes from the airport and the UPS warehouse is right beside it. I considered doing that for Treebeard but never did and still regret it to this day. I also hear that UPS will make every effort to dissuade you from doing this, including having the driver or the customer service on the phone suddenly come down with a case of "sorry, I no speaka no english" on the spot. They also delay giving you the form or claiming they can't find the item in the warehouse, all of which is illegal but hey... they figure they may as well try to make you give up. I hate UPS with a passion. Bunch of crooks.

Option 2 I just found out about recently. I always thought it was like a PO Box kind of thing but Weta doesn't ship to those. This however seems to be different. I might consider it one day but I'm getting so sick and tired of jumping through hoops to avoid absurd shipping costs that I may just stop buying stuff anyway. Sick of the gouging.
This Space for Rent

@Deimos - that is a good story lol. My two youngest siblings have severe PB allergies, so I had to give it up for years while they were young. Those were tough times haha. I concur, after trying many different Oreo flavours, you just can't beat the original. That being said, the Reese's Oreos and Strawberry Shortcake Oreos are right behind it. PS - I have travelled a decent amount so far in my life, and highly recommend Banff National Park. :)

@Val - agree with everything you said. "...but I'm getting so sick and tired of jumping through hoops to avoid absurd shipping costs that I may just stop buying stuff anyway. Sick of the gouging." I have thought the exact same thing lately, especially with the Pandemic leading to an increase in international shipping costs... When you're paying twice as much for a collectible as someone who lives just an hour south of you, it really feels like you're getting ripped off.

To not derail this thread too much... I absolutely love the Bilbo at Desk. It's figures like this that make me regret giving up on statue collecting. I believe the last one I purchased new was probably Rivendell lol. Weta has come out with some beautiful products lately - but I'm trying really hard to focus my efforts down to just one hobby: "Arms & Armor". But I cannot wait to see pictures of all those here that did pick one up!!

Getting a little off track here but my question is still related to LOTR statues/Enviros by whatever company....

Who made the Argonath Environment (SideShow? Weta?) , how many were made, and when was it released?
And I'm guessing the price was around $200?

THank you, Idril.
I meant the complete Argonath with the water, boats, etc. (I do have the DVD Argonath)
I was pretty sure the complete one was made by Weta, but when you read further you'll see why I asked.
Yes, not enough of the Weta Argonath made.

Weta is now posting this notice with some environments:
If you are interested in future production runs of this environment, please sign up below.
If we receive enough interest we may produce more and if so we will notify you when it’s available to order.

I saw it on the listings for Rivendell, Minas Tirith, Pre-ruin Isengard, all currently labeled Sold Out. .

I know that should Weta re-issue these, or any of the Enviros that are no longer available (whether LE or non LE runs that are simply no longer in production) it lessens the value of the ones that people currently own.
(The lack of ethical consideration about this doesn't seem to bother Weta ---or UC when it does the same thing with swords, helms etc--- but ethics rarely seem to bother many businesses these days.)

Be that as it may, I find it interesting that Weta has only posted that teaser on some environments and not all of them.
It is not present on the listings for The Prancing Pony, or Barad-dur.
I don't see it on the Argonath. In fact, I don't even see the Argonath listed anywhere on the Weta site.
And it was there at one time, labeled, like the others, Sold Out.

The reason you're not seeing the Argonath, Prancing Pony, Barad-dur, and others, is because those were Limited Editions and unlike UC, Weta has apparently said before that those are off-limits and will never be reissued.

Minas Tirith, Rivendell, 2nd Orthanc, etc were Open Editions, and though long out of production, Weta are perfectly within their right to test the waters and see if there is enough demand to produce another run or two.

No promise was ever made that this would never occur so where no word is given, there is no word to be broken. Again, unlike with what UC did, I have no problem with this. The Limited Editions are off-limits.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:50 pm The reason you're not seeing the Argonath, Prancing Pony, Barad-dur, and others, is because those were Limited Editions and unlike UC, Weta has apparently said before that those are off-limits and will never be reissued.

Minas Tirith, Rivendell, 2nd Orthanc, etc were Open Editions, and though long out of production, Weta are perfectly within their right to test the waters and see if there is enough demand to produce another run or two.

No promise was ever made that this would never occur so where no word is given, there is no word to be broken. Again, unlike with what UC did, I have no problem with this. The Limited Editions are off-limits.
I believe you.
And I believe that Weta is 100% sincere in saying that the LEs will never be re-issued.
But I will never put any money on what Weta has said that it will, or won't, do.
The prospect of making money, especially a lot of money, has always made people/businesses do 180s on their most sincere resolutions/promises.
Not saying Weta will, just saying that I put no stock in what it promises.

Yet there is a way around that with the LE enviros, and I mentioned it in passing on a previous post.
Weta could decide to do a LARGE Master Collection edition of The Argonath.
"See, (goes the Weta argument) , it's not the same as a re-issue. It's an MC Edition, and it's bigger and more detailed", etc, etc.
In which case there would be some number of people letting go of the old Argonath to pick up the MC one.
All of us who missed out on the original Argonath would benefit.
(Really, I would only benefit if it happens in the next 15 years or so.... not getting any younger, juneau... :rolleye: .)

Idril wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:57 pm That is true Deimos. Weta could choose to do a new Argonath. But that would be a new sculpt and different in size/sculpt so wouldn’t fall into the area of a re-issue. As far as weta is concerned, I would bet my house they will never extend or reissue a sold out LE.
'Zactly. Which is why I said the MC version is a way around its promise of no LE re-issues.

And concerning our differing opinions of the integrity of Weta (or, for me, any multi-million dollar corporation/ business): pax .

(So...where is your house...or where will be the one you retire to?.....I like to see what a wager will pay :laugh: )

I just managed to snag an original #279 Weta Argonath in Canada, very excited as I never thought I would own one. As far as Weta reissuing sold out LE environments, I don't think they will I think that would be suicide in the collectibles world. I am all for them reissuing open edition pieces, I evened started a letter campaign to get Minas Tirith re-released. As for a new and improved Argonath, even though I now own an original I would say I would love to see one, the original is quite small and it will give other collectors a chance to get the Argonath, I might even pick one up myself haha. I don't think they will however as there are still locations in middle earth that haven't been done yet.

@Idril...
Since you seem to be the most informed about the Weta scene (anyone else, feel free to weigh in and/or correct) was there an MC version of Gollum made?

TMcLim wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:53 am I just managed to snag an original #279 Weta Argonath in Canada, very excited as I never thought I would own one. As far as Weta reissuing sold out LE environments, I don't think they will I think that would be suicide in the collectibles world. I am all for them reissuing open edition pieces, I evened started a letter campaign to get Minas Tirith re-released. As for a new and improved Argonath, even though I now own an original I would say I would love to see one, the original is quite small and it will give other collectors a chance to get the Argonath, I might even pick one up myself haha. I don't think they will however as there are still locations in middle earth that haven't been done yet.
Congratulations.....a Grail acquired.
When Weta comes out with an MC Argonath, I'll buy your dinky one so you'll have some cash toward the big one. :btr:

Thanks N2.

Ok, so what are all the MC pieces?
Treebeard, I know (because I have it :db: )
Gollum
Thranduil in the THrone Tree
Gandalf and Frodo in the cart

Anything else?

They stated originally they would only ever produce a maximum of one a year. They have released one a year since Gollum was announced. Usually one is revealed at SDCC, the pre order goes up before Xmas and it ships usually a few months before the next SDCC. They also usually release a premium piece once a year on roughly the same schedule.

Difference between the two is about $1500. Lol

First, housekeeping...
Beginning with post #84 the mod(s) may want to move this conversation to Its own thread under the Weta (manufacturer) forum.
So, I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that Weta will issue the MC version of the Argonath.
I think it will do it once the Bezos ME Series takes off and establishes a [possibly rabid] following.
My reasons are:
1) Weta has to know what the current LE vesion goes for on the secondary market.
2) the Argonath history and significance , like Orthanc and Minas Tirith, and Rivendell, spans millennia in ME history.
As much as I'm in love with Bag End, and the Prancing Pony they aren't very old.
Yes, they are rocognizeable but they don't carry overwhelmingly historical weight in ME lore.
This historical presence is not lost on Weta.
3) We, the serious collectors, know this, and we, the serious collectors who missed out on the [first] LE version will sell a kidney (or even a kid) to get this environment.
The profit potential of an MC Argonath is not lost on Weta.
4) Weta will not be going back on its word about no reissues of an LE environment because the MC version will be different.
How it will be different I have no idea, but it will be different enough such that Weta can honor the letter of its promise, if not the spirit of it.

I predict that this will happen in less than 10 years.
(And, no, I will not bet on it..... well, maybe a token bet.....but certainly not my house. :rolleye: )

Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of this more than than the rest of us. I know I do the same when I want a particular piece bad enough.

I honesty wouldn't place my bets on Weta devoting their one-a-year MC slot to an environment other than possibly Lorien, but never say never, I suppose.

There was a time when I really wanted that LE Argonath piece and then slowly gave up that chase as I came to terms with how small and overpriced it is. Not only that, I've gone more and more book purist with that depiction of one of the topmost iconic places in ME and it bothers me to no end that it is Elendil that they put on there and not Anarion. It irritates me every time I see it. Yeah, I know... weird.
This Space for Rent

Return to “Weta Workshop”