New Sculpt Bilbo at his Writing Desk

Anyone else got the notice on this?
This is going to be really really difficult to avoid buying. And since I've got about $240 Weta dollars , I don't think I'll even try . :laugh:
https://www.wetanz.com/shop/figures/bil ... r+Interest

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: New Sculpt Bilbo at his Writing Desk

Valkrist wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:12 am As usual, price and size will be the deciding factors for me. I'm not married to the piece yet, but that may well change once we are shown photos of the completed statue. For the first time ever, I may actually have to sell something to make room to display this, and the thought does not make me happy.
I was kind of thinking the same thing, depending on the size and display options. From the previous video it may have some 360° display options and a small end table may have to work or be built to suit.

I don't have any Weta statues yet and I've decided that I'm not even going to entertain the thought of trying to collect more than one or two. I just don't have the room to display them. Besides, one rabbit hole obsession is enough for me :) .

So with that in mind I ask myself if I could only have one statue from the Weta collection, which would it be? Which is the one moment that most encompasses the world of Middle-Earth and the spirit of Tolkien? I can't think of a better example than Bilbo at his desk.

Fair point, Idril, although again (and I'm not being argumentative, just a friendly discussion), you could consider the sculpture to represent a moment after they pick up Merry in Buckland?

I know, it becomes more of a stretch because when it occurs in the movie, there is no Old Forest part either. I guess maybe I'm trying to justify it to myself... lol. I highly doubt I would get it anyway as it will be super expensive, especially if it includes then wraith and I already have the RWOS.
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:58 pm I’m getting it. I’m only buying stuff that doesn’t go against the book - so if the Black Rider/Tree + 4 hobbits is released then I’m not going for it. Despite being a Black rider fan girl.

But this one at the writing desk - as iconic as Treebeard for me.
Ditto on the "iconic" status of Bilbo at his desk.
And with respect to the BR + 4 hobbits under the tree roots....not even on my radar, and for the same reason you give.

Ronin wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:30 pm ... if I could only have one statue from the Weta collection, which would it be? Which is the one moment that most encompasses the world of Middle-Earth and the spirit of Tolkien? I can't think of a better example than Bilbo at his desk.
Precisely...go for it!

Valkrist wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:32 pm Fair point, Idril, although again (and I'm not being argumentative, just a friendly discussion), you could consider the sculpture to represent a moment after they pick up Merry in Buckland?

I know, it becomes more of a stretch because when it occurs in the movie, there is no Old Forest part either. I guess maybe I'm trying to justify it to myself... lol. I highly doubt I would get it anyway as it will be super expensive, especially if it includes then wraith and I already have the RWOS.
I can always try to talk myself into stuff Val. I don’t need help. Lol......

But I’m unlikely to bend to trying to fit a statue into the book just for the sake of getting the statue. My kids nickname for me is Lancelot. Live by my sword..... ahh - word. No matter how much it might hurt

Anyone else see Weta's update for Bilbo at Bag End? (or His Writing Desk, or whatever they are calling it).

This thing is not going to be cheap .... but it [so far] it looks really, really good.
Still planning to buy it....I have $240 Weta dollars that are burning a hole in my virtual pocket.

Yeah, I got the email with the photos. Many people now speculating that due to the level of detail, the mixed media, and the expected mid-year release, that this is going to be this year's Masters Collection piece. If that's the case, I'm fully expecting this to clock in around the $1500-$2000 mark. People have been salivating over this for a couple of months now, and Weta is playing them like a fiddle - the more drool that piles up, the more they know they can charge whatever they want and people will lap it up. xP
This Space for Rent

Deimos wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:44 pm if it is, in fact, an M-C collectible I won't be buying it. $1K is my limit.
I hear ya.

MC piece or not, Weta is banking on the triple-whammy of FOTR's 20th anniversary, the passing of Ian Holm, and the moment in the movie this statue depicts to make you reach deep into your pockets.

I'd love to get it, and will consider it when it does come out, but like you, my limit nowadays is set to $1K for this or any other collectible. Gone are the days when the cost was secondary to wanting something, and Treebeard was my last insanely expensive collectible, and he's been in the rear view mirror for two years now. I'm not giving up the hobby just yet, but these pieces no longer tempt me like they used to, and certainly not at these sky-high prices. :huh:
This Space for Rent

I am aware of another piece which I thought was going to be the Mc piece for this year. I’m still inclined to think it will be but I don’t know. If you put this study in the range of Rivendell and the collectors edition Bagend - it isn’t insanely more detailed. So there is still hope it won’t be the Mc piece.

I do want to get this but I am in the process of trimming down my collection. So if I get it, it will be the only one and knowing what the other one is...... hmmm have to think on it.

Idril wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:28 am I am aware of another piece which I thought was going to be the Mc piece for this year. I’m still inclined to think it will be but I don’t know. If you put this study in the range of Rivendell and the collectors edition Bagend - it isn’t insanely more detailed. So there is still hope it won’t be the Mc piece....
Gawd, I hope you are right. I really want it, and I really don't want to spend more than $1K, (and that would include my Weta dollars.)

So prices are not revealed until Pre-order opens? Or did I miss where they are listed?

I guess the pricing will determine which one I get but, honestly, the whole effect of Bilbo sitting at his desk is lost unless he is surrounded by all the familiar flotsam and jetsam of Bag End.
So I'm pretty sure I'll go for broke (how accurate!) and spring for the Limited Ed. ($236 Weta Dollars should ease the sting a bit....I hope)

Just returned from the FoU website and reading the comments about the Pre-order.
Val, where did you see the price of $1300? And was that NZD, CDN , or USD?
I'm looking at the Weta site and I don't see any price listed.

Deimos wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:43 am Just returned from the FoU website and reading the comments about the Pre-order.
Val, where did you see the price of $1300? And was that NZD, CDN , or USD?
I'm looking at the Weta site and I don't see any price listed.
There is no price posted by Weta yet. The $1300 is conjecture based upon a link a few posts up in that thread that goes to a retailer that has put up the price as $1,299 USD. This has happened with nearly every previous release, where a retailer leaks the price early, and it's always been accurate, which is why most of us are accepting as inevitable fact. :'(
This Space for Rent

OK. Thank You.
I also read about the "Reveal/Pre-order Schedule" snafu....
Don't know now when the time is for us (You are on PDT which is MST for me...AZ doesn't do Daylight Savings) and it appears to be 2PM.
But whatever it is, sooner or later we will see it.

So, if it is $1300 USD...I will have shipping but not all the other [extortionary] fees, and Weta dollars knocks off $236.
Not sure about taxes, the currency conversion rate is 2-3%, so I'm thinking I will be out $1500 max , if that ( hope so, hope so , hope so).
In which case I'm going to get it.

Deimos wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:25 pm
Idril wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:28 am I am aware of another piece which I thought was going to be the Mc piece for this year. I’m still inclined to think it will be but I don’t know. If you put this study in the range of Rivendell and the collectors edition Bagend - it isn’t insanely more detailed. So there is still hope it won’t be the Mc piece....
Gawd, I hope you are right. I really want it, and I really don't want to spend more than $1K, (and that would include my Weta dollars.)
HAHA....just saw my previous post (above).
Well, I guess I'm amending it already to : approximately $1K after the Weta Dollars are figured in, but before shipping, currency exchange fees, etc. :rolleye:
(it 's always the etc stuff that kills the budget....) :O
Last edited by Deimos on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Valkrist wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:33 am Well, there won't be any conversion for you as the price you will see (likely the $1299) will be USD. Only customers in the EU or NZ see a different currency on the Weta website. Not sure about Australia.
Pardon... when I use my Visa CC there is a currency conversion fee of [typically] 2-3%, charged by Visa.
I wish Weta accepted Discover Card because that fee (charged by Discover) is only 1%.

Visa, MC, Discover, et al, call it a "foreign transaction fee", not a currency conversion fee.
But I'm thinking it's really the same sort of fee (aka "a distinction without a difference") , because somebody has to pay the conversion fee.

The other thing about the Credit Card "Foreign Transaction Fee" (hereafter FTF) is that it is not a fixed fee, which would be something charged, say, for [me] doing business outside the US.
E.g., Visa saying "OK any purchase from merchants outside the US incurs a flat $10 fee." Simply because they are outside the US.
But it's not like that. The fee is based on the purchase amount. So, it seems [to me] to have more the appearance a "currency conversion fee."
Last edited by Deimos on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

OK....$1299 USD. After Weta Dollars are applied (which I forgot are in NZD), the cost is $1104.15 (before tax and shipping)
Guessing that the tax will be about $99 (9%)...shipping (from a US warehouse)...maybe less than $300? (or is that not realistic?), no more than $50 for the FTF.
So that makes it $1550. Yep, starting to look like a Masters Collection price.

Before I pull the trigger on this, I'm curious.....anyone else getting the Limited version? Ronin? idril? N2? Anyone?
Last edited by Deimos on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:12 am, edited 6 times in total.

Buckeye wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:02 am I plan to order the classic version, and have some ideas for how to add some "floor clutter" to the base.
That would be neat to see....I mean, the way you would do that. Looking forward to seeing that.

Deimos wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:11 am OK....$1299 USD. After Weta Dollars are applied (which I forgot are in NZD), the cost is $1104.15 (before tax and shipping)
Guessing that the tax will be about $99 (9%)...shipping (from a US warehouse)...maybe less than $300? (or is that not realistic?), no more than $50 for the FTF.
So that makes it $1550. Yep, starting to look like a Masters Collection price.

Before I pull the trigger on this, I'm curious.....anyone else getting the Limited version? Ronin? idril? N2? Anyone?
I'm still debating, but will probably fold as this piece is really amazing. Seeing the deepdiscount link and the $400 price difference is really tempting as well, but just afraid if something is wrong or broken and you have to deal with a company I have never herd of before is just scary.

Just catching up on the posts. I’m sure WD are in USD. At least they are for me.

I have almost $500usd in WD. Still this is more expensive than I wanted it to be. Sigh.... I’m thinking about it for a few days. I know of another statue likely being previewed next month that I want more....... do I want both statues. I’m not sure as I am reducing and restructuring my collection atm. Getting ready for a house move and retirement.

Still I have visions of displaying this so you can peek through the window. Not sure if it would work but how special would that be.

(Still can’t seem to get into my mailbox after the upgrade so if you messaged me about it - sorry). Edit: just found I can nav to my mailbox so that will do.

Whatever is upcoming at SDCC it wouldn't matter for me.
As for this piece it's the whole Bag End Scene or nothing.
And if whatever is unveiled at SDCC I "just gotta have" I'll get it.
But...... there are very few pieces like that for me. Treebeard was [obviously] one of them.
If it's an enviro of the Grey Havens (wishful thinking), that's a "must have" as well.
And if it were a larger (MC) Argonath? Nope. I'd get the original version owned by folks who have unloaded it because they wanted the bigger one . :laugh:

Idril, Val, N2, anyone...can you explain something to me?

I have $236 Weta dollars, shown in my account.
When ordering Bilbo (I haven't actually completed it yet), I clicked where it says to apply my Weta Dollars.
It only applied $194 .
I thought it was because it was in NZD, but Idril says it is in USD, and now I can see that.
So why wouldn't Weta apply the full $236?
(I've already emailed them about this but I thought someone here could answer faster than [glacial speed] Weta)

Well possibly... OK yeah, I guess that is what is happening....They are only charging me the pre-order amount ($194+).

Addendum: Well that means the final tally will be a bit closer to $1500 than $1550 because I was using the $194 (and not $236) in the final calculation.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:42 am
Deimos wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:14 pm Done.
Bilbo at Bag End has been ordered.
The temptation was too great and I ordered as well.
I don't think you'll regret it in the least.
If, at some point (heaven forbid), you have to let it go, you'll more than recover the cost, including the taxes, shipping etc.

Valkrist wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:48 am Regret is a hard thing to live with.

Pre-order... TBD?
TBD?.... To Be Determined? Totally Bonkers Decision? Terrified By Delaying?

Return to “Weta Workshop”