Master Swordsmith Collection - Sword of Eowyn

Weta just posted about this.....beautiful sword. However, getting it would severely dent my budget.
I am predicting that in the coming years we will see the MSSC issues of both Guthwine and Herugrim.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Re: Master Swordsmith Collection - Sword of Eowyn

Idril wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:35 pm It is beautiful. But if I get one, I can only get one. And I have decided if I get one, it must be elvish. So Hadhafang or Thranduil’s sword.
I'm surprised at Hadhafang being ignored this long, but I think the odds of Thranduil's sword making this illustrious family are slim at best. The Hobbit trilogy is not generally regarded as a high mark in cinema for Tolkien fans, and other than the book recognition that Orcrist had for its resume, Weta and Peter Lyon may wisely want to steer clear.

I should add I love that sword, but unless you know something I don't... and you often do ;)... I'm not sure I would hold my breath.
This Space for Rent

The more I look at this the more I like it and think it's superior to Guthwine and Herugrim.
Now, Guthwine really looks good and the hilt is pretty unique, but Eowyn's sword has an elegance about it that is present in neither of those other two.....(imo)

I don’t know anything more about it Val. Although I do know they looked at Thranduil’s sword but those cutouts make it a difficult sword to make. Still..... Leonard told me the tale of Peter walking into his office swinging around Thranduil’s sword. It set my mind on fire. Something along the lines of swishing through the air like elves whispering. So I can dream.

Hadhafang would be magnificent but expensive. I would have to get the scabbard too. I guess we will see.

Oh wow.. and a starting price of $9,999 ? I believe this makes it the most expensive sword of the MSSC line?

But as I double check the website: Orcrist now has a (new?) starting price of $12,999. Either way, I figured Eowyn's would be on the pricier side. It has some of the most detailed hilt designs of all LOTR swords. Again, I, sadly, cannot justify the price tag - but when Guthwine is announced I might cave lol.

Anyone here plan on ordering Eowyn's? It is a beautiful sword!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Valkrist wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:51 am
Idril wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:58 pm Hadhafang would be magnificent but expensive. I would have to get the scabbard too. I guess we will see.
It would definitely be appropriate for your Avatar namesake. You would then have to update the photo to be one of you, part of your face artfully obscured by the sword, just like Liv. :thumbs_up
Well, it would have to be photoshopped a lot.

Idril wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:34 am
Valkrist wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:51 am
Idril wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:58 pm Hadhafang would be magnificent but expensive. I would have to get the scabbard too. I guess we will see.
It would definitely be appropriate for your Avatar namesake. You would then have to update the photo to be one of you, part of your face artfully obscured by the sword, just like Liv. :thumbs_up
Well, it would have to be photoshopped a lot.
Bah! Just a pair of prosthetic elf ears and you're good to go, and don't tell me you don't own a pair because I think you do. :crazy:
This Space for Rent

Deimos wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:51 pm
Jash wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:42 am ....Anyone here plan on ordering Eowyn's? It is a beautiful sword!
Yes, it is a very beautiful sword, but.....we all need our kidneys.
Well... you only really need 1 kidney. The other, sold on the black organ market, would pay for this sword set plus maybe one or two more lol.

***I do not endorse the selling of one's organs in order to purchase collectibles***

Jash wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 am Well... you only really need 1 kidney. The other, sold on the black organ market, would pay for this sword set plus maybe one or two more lol.

***I do not endorse the selling of one's organs in order to purchase collectibles***
lol... I think what's worthy of note here is not your endorsement (or lack thereof) of organ sales for the purpose of buying collectibles, but rather that you already know that one kidney would net up to three of these expensive swords.

Pray tell, how came you by such a precise estimate, hmmm? :O

:crazy:
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:48 am ...
lol... I think what's worthy of note here is not your endorsement (or lack thereof) of organ sales for the purpose of buying collectibles, but rather that you already know that one kidney would net up to three of these expensive swords.

Pray tell, how came you by such a precise estimate, hmmm? :O

:crazy:
Let me predict Jash's response: Oh, a...a....a friend, yes, a friend!, that's right, a friend looked up the going price of a kidney on the black market!
Really, a distant friend, whom I do not know well at all, he looked it up..... and then...then.... he, uhh, happened to tell me the price. Really.

Jash wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:58 am ....
Well... you only really need 1 kidney. The other, sold on the black organ market, would pay for this sword set plus maybe one or two more lol.
Juneau, from what I read on the FoU forum whenever a new statue or environment or *whatever* comes out of Weta.... it seems like a lot of people must be doing exactly that to be able to afford all those things.

Valkrist wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:48 pm lol... all these years and I thought your avatar was an Easterling from the movies! Then your comment made me think: "Hang on a sec! I don't recall Easterlings using smoke bombs!" So now I realize that's not it at all. Is that Shredder from TMNT? :crazy:
Haha well to be fair, I always thought Easterlings had cool helmets as well. :) Also, just because it's never seen, does not mean they never used smoke bombs!
Yuppers! Shredder from the original TMNT movie! Which, btw, turned 30 this year :O

Idril wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:58 pm

Hadhafang would be magnificent but expensive. I would have to get the scabbard too. I guess we will see.
Hey there Idril! You’re right on with Hadhafang being expensive. I read an interview with Peter saying that he would love to make this sword but they are having a hard time keeping the cost reasonable. Well reasonable for the MSSC line. I’m thinking the sword would probably start in that US $12k-$15k alone so the scabbard would be that range if not a few grand more. Could be a little cheaper $10k-$13k but either way you’re right on. I do think this sword has a good chance of being made sooner rather than later but it’s just a hunch so who knows.

Have you heard if they will do Sting once more? I know a year ago they were considering the human scale Sting(the smaller dagger sized) I believe but I wouldn’t be surprised if they went Hobbit scale again but this time with the version from the Hobbit movies without the acid etched elvish writing.

I know Peter likes Isildur’s sword a lot since he had some say in how the design turned out and that is a very beautiful sword and scabbard so that one would be of interest. There a quite a few left to do so Sting, even though popular, would be a surprising choice given they did release a previous version of it roughly 10 years ago.

Return to “Weta Workshop”