Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

Valkrist wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:39 am I gotta say that Weta's Customer Service continues its downslide into complete and utter crap, which is to say, non-existent.

My latest and greatest: on March 21st, I decided to purchase the Torturer of Dol Guldur. Despite the ongoing sale at the time, I opted to buy him on his own, and pay for it immediately (no payment plan.) At the time of the purchase, the statue was listed as being in stock at the US warehouse.

In the meantime, Weta announces that no orders will be shipped from March 26 to April 3 due to them closing the warehouses for inventory count. I think to myself, no problem, I just ordered this so it gives them three days to ship the statue before then. Do they? Of course not. Ok, so I wait until after the 3rd, and still nothing. Order status is stuck in "Processing" and the expected delivery date unrealistically says March 31. On April 5, I send Anthony an email requesting an update on the status of my order. In the meantime, I notice on the Torturer's page that it now says that all orders placed now will be shipped in June as they await stock. Another email later and a request for help from their automated help desk and all I keep getting back is a useless automated response about how busy they are. Throughout it all, my money is in Weta's pocket, and I have no statue or useful update on what's going on.

I just don't understand how after so many years in business, they continue to do this over and over. They have one person handling thousands and thousands of tickets, constant stock update problems, warehouses that ship things incorrectly and are horrible at communicating with their parent company, a website with questionable functionality, and yet the prices for their products only keep going up. I think the higher ups need to stop paying themselves so well and start investing some of that profit from $1000+ statues into improving their customer service. Please hire an extra body or two to handle these peak times after big sales, and sort out your warehousing and stock issues. If it wasn't for the high amounts of money being spent, I would find this comical. Instead, I'm left seeing red. :angry:
I'm totally right there with you Val! I'm still at a stand still with my Isildur replacement. I received it on Mar 2nd and immediately emailed with photos and a week and a half later I get a response, a month late they request me to destroy it and they'll send me a new one and that was too weeks after the photos again were sent. Almost 6 weeks and still nothing. They even had the gal to send me a survey on how my case was treated. I definitely told them how I feel, but the fact that they have a pull down option that their customer service is too slow should tell everyone something. I'm just about done with Weta at this point, between increased prices and quality control to the customer service it's not really worth it to me at this point. I'll stick to custom pieces I think from now on.

Surely you both know the answer to your questions.
Weta has no incentive to spend a penny more on better service than it already has.
Its primary concern in the highest possible profit with minimal overhead.
Weta is the only show in town, and [we] collectors are its captive audience.
Where else will you find Eomer on Firefoot, Isildur contemplating the One Ring, Thranduil on Bullwinkle?
Complaints are ignored because it holds all the cards...Weta's response? "Fine. Don't deal with us. Go buy Eomer on Firefoot from our competitor(s). HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA."
Weta knows it has us by the short hairs.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos, you are absolutely right in all your points except for the one Idril just brought up: you do have the option of buying Weta statues from retailers that carry their products, and there are quite a few. The price is exactly the same too, so what keeps us suckers coming back to Weta for more abuse?

In my case, two reasons: I always believe in supporting the company that provides the original product or service as a way of thanking them. By cutting out the middle man, I feel they get a little extra for themselves as reward from me for doing what they do for us. The second reason is that Weta has a points reward program called Weta Dollars, and it is one of the better ones around that I've seen.

Now, on the first reason, all of my goodwill has evaporated in the past couple of years. As N2 pointed out, their customer service is a joke, quality control is a thing of the past, and the prices will reach the moon before NASA ever does again. As for the second reason, Idril may very well be right: I'm almost positive the Weta of today wishes they could just do away with the whole reward program, but they would have a lynch mob on their hands if they did. When they needed to establish their name and build up a loyal customer base post their partnership with Sideshow, it was a brilliant idea. Now, it's a money drain and the lousier they make their service, the faster formerly loyal customers like myself and N2 will turn our backs on them and stop costing them money because of redeeming the rewards. My ability to use points to buy a $700 statue outright like I did with Eomer has to sting them a little, but this is the monster they created. If I buy it from a retailer, they still have their sale, they don't have to deal with me, and they don't have to give me any points.

So yes, Weta may be the only game in town when it comes to owning these particular statues, but there are alternatives to buying the statues from them.
This Space for Rent

When You say "other retailers" do you mean (e.g.),Warner Bros. shops?
Anyway, buying from other retailers doesn't address the higher pricing for worsening quality.
The retailer gets the same quality statue that Weta sends directly to you (or any customer).

Valkrist wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:09 pm Deimos, you are absolutely right in all your points except for the one Idril just brought up: you do have the option of buying Weta statues from retailers that carry their products, and there are quite a few. The price is exactly the same too, so what keeps us suckers coming back to Weta for more abuse?

In my case, two reasons: I always believe in supporting the company that provides the original product or service as a way of thanking them. By cutting out the middle man, I feel they get a little extra for themselves as reward from me for doing what they do for us. The second reason is that Weta has a points reward program called Weta Dollars, and it is one of the better ones around that I've seen.

Now, on the first reason, all of my goodwill has evaporated in the past couple of years. As N2 pointed out, their customer service is a joke, quality control is a thing of the past, and the prices will reach the moon before NASA ever does again. As for the second reason, Idril may very well be right: I'm almost positive the Weta of today wishes they could just do away with the whole reward program, but they would have a lynch mob on their hands if they did. When they needed to establish their name and build up a loyal customer base post their partnership with Sideshow, it was a brilliant idea. Now, it's a money drain and the lousier they make their service, the faster formerly loyal customers like myself and N2 will turn our backs on them and stop costing them money because of redeeming the rewards. My ability to use points to buy a $700 statue outright like I did with Eomer has to sting them a little, but this is the monster they created. If I buy it from a retailer, they still have their sale, they don't have to deal with me, and they don't have to give me any points.

So yes, Weta may be the only game in town when it comes to owning these particular statues, but there are alternatives to buying the statues from them.
Again, why should Weta care if there is outrage over eliminating the Rewards program?
If Weta is thinking they way you and Idril surmise (and you may very well be correct) it plays right into sending customers to the retailers.: i.e. shut down the Rewards program, put up with some really nasty flaming for a while, and then it's off the [profit denting] hook for good.
And (as I mentioned above) it's not as if those customers will EVER desert Weta merchandise per se, not with it being the sole source of LOTR & Hobbit polystone.

Deimos wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm When You say "other retailers" do you mean (e.g.),Warner Bros. shops?
Anyway, buying from other retailers doesn't address the higher pricing for worsening quality.
The retailer gets the same quality statue that Weta sends directly to you (or any customer).
Yes, WB Shop is a good example of what I mean by other retailers.

No, buying from them does not change the fact that prices are high and the quality can be spotty at times, but the key factor is that if and when there is a problem, you are then dealing with that retailer's customer service, and not Weta's. Let them deal with Weta on their end, and refund, replace, or at the very least REPLY to my problems when they do arise.

To respond to your other post about the Weta Dollars, I don't know, to be honest, but I think they might feel they would lose the support of a lot of their loyal fan base if they did that. With the increasing prices, it's the only way some people have to even collect these things. Take that away, and it could backfire into people not buying anything in protest. Rewards programs can drive some people to a great deal of anger and backlash when things are messed with. Just look at what happened with Air Miles and Aeroplan (a Canadian rewards program) in recent times for an example. Yeah, Weta Dollars are peanuts compared to those giants, but people can be rabidly protective of such things. Giving non-existent customer service with constant excuses is a better long-term strategy for them than to yank the rewards away from people.

This is all conjecture, of course. It's such a simple problem, with such a simple solution, yet Weta can't (or won't) see the forest for the Ents: HIRE A COUPLE MORE PEOPLE!
This Space for Rent

Finally got an update:

Anthony apologized profusely but he had been sick with the flu for the past week, He confirmed that all the stock in the warehouses had been sold during the sale and they were having to fulfill the remaining orders from the China warehouse in June, which is what I surmised all along. All of this angst could have been avoided with a longer blurb on the product page, or Weta setting up an automated alert system that immediately notifies a customer if there is a delay with their order. Simple enough, and Anthony doesn't get flooded with emails that are simply about "What's going on with my order?" and then he can spend more time on more important cases, like N2's replacement statue.

So, while I feel for the poor guy who is obviously run down and doing everything that he can with limited resources, I can't forgive Weta for not doing more to get their act together. Seems they have about three or four sales per year now, and the chaos is the same every time. :cursing_r
This Space for Rent

Well, I for one haven't received any apology for the incredible lack of response. I sent yet another email yesterday and point blank asked if I wasn't getting my replacement till June like the Weta site says the next shipment is due. If that is indeed the case, he could have said that on the very first reply without continuing to drag this on for an additional 6 weeks and continue to piss me off. I'm torn right now as to just suck it up and wait for my replacement or just get my money back. It's such a great piece and would love it in my collection, but my patients is running thin and I don't want it to remind me of the crap I have to go through when I want to order through Weta. Sorry for the vent as I'm probably just :horse:

Insta-buys for me... now whether to bother going through Weta at all. At least they always pull these smaller item releases without a hitch, unless you count problems like Idril's King's Guard Helm making a side trip to Timbuktu before arriving at her door. :rolleye:

As for Thrandy making this helm, looks like 75% of the work is already done just using Eomer helm parts. Interesting that this one does not have the horse's mane though. Was this thing even seen in the movie? I recall his armour and sword but since he was never really seen conscious in either version of TT, I don't think the helm made it onscreen. :huh:
This Space for Rent

I think you are right about the helm having no screen time.
I don't recall seeing it in the film.
Someone with a gimlet eye can review that scene and see if it's lying nearby where Theodred lay.

Yes, the similarity to Eomer's helm is obvious.
As to why there is no horse's tail on it, I think that is a bit of "youthful flash" on Eomer's part.
I noticed a few riders with helms sporting a horse's tail, but of a dark color.
Theodred, being the crown prince, may have eschewed that ostentation in deference to the gravitas required of his rank.
(And, too, papa may have frowned on it. ;) )

OK...do we have a volunteer to review those two scenes?
Altho' I think it much morel likely that the helm was shown in funeral scene, as would be proper for deceased royalty who died in battle to be clothed in full regal armour.

Idril wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:40 pm That recent King's Guard helm (black feathers) was not seen in the film. Dan Falconer confirmed this. Makes you wonder how many helms were designed and even made but never made the cut.
I've seen a pic somewhere (maybe on the FoU forum?) of a helm that was designed for Eowyn to wear in battle at Helms Deep . . . before they correctly and thankfully decided not to do that with her character. It looked a lot like Merry's helm.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Thanks for looking that up Val.

Just thought of something.
The actor who played Theodred had a pretty easy time of it....
In the first place he had no speaking lines, except for some moaning.
And then he didn't really have to act, if by "acting" we mean engage in some kind of activity.
1) He lay severely injured, more or less motionless, on the battlefield
2) He lay dying, again with little movement, in his bed chamber at Edoras
3) He lay dead on his bier, silent and definitely no movement

(...I wonder how much he got paid for all that.... :laugh: )

I saw that when I got the newsletter email earlier today. Surprised you beat Idril to the punch in posting it here, Buckeye. :crazy:

It was a given they would tackle these two soldier types some day, just disappointed they are neglecting LOTR in favour of the Hobbit. I would be far more tempted by a 2nd Age Numenorean Soldier, or a Rohirrim Royal Guard. Still, the focus on LOTR lately has been with forgotten characters like Isildur, MoS, Haldir, and Eomer, so I'm not complaining. Just want them to hurry up and do a Gil-galad and Elendil before the prices increase again. xP

I have to admit that's a pretty innovative way to create one statue out of two, but it's a lose-lose situation in terms of space required. You either have to find room for two statues, or you need one space with lots of vertical clearance if you join them together. I hated that scene in the movie. Found it very :rolleye: - worthy and it seemed like PJ indulging himself again just for cool visuals and trying to top the Elf sword-scythe maneuver from the FOTR prologue. Also sad to have it confirmed that $449 is now the new norm for a single 1:6 statue. If anything, and dynamic pose notwithstanding, I'm tempted by the elf just because it's such a beautiful statue. The dwarf twins are kinda meh, and if I ever bought both, I would not display them connected based on my distaste for that scene alone.
This Space for Rent

I know, I know... I'm the resident UCF grump. I just feel as a whole, the elven acrobatics schtick was just overused and too over the top in that trilogy. Instead of the grace and poise we see in LoTR and envision from the books (minus stupid shield and Mumak surfing), we suddenly have to accept that all elves are high-flying, circus-wire daredevils. Not to mention that in a real battle, silly and flashy moves like that leave you extremely exposed. Don't even get me started on the tree branch running and leaping. Bad CGI that reminded me of the monkey scene in Indy 4 Crystal Skull (and that's not a good comparison, btw.)

I found it jarring and the wrong way to project the other-worldliness of the elves as a people, but we all have our different interpretations and opinions. When I watch these movies, I want to see Tolkien-inspired fantasy grounded in real physics, not Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on steroids.

Yep... the rant no one wanted or asked for. Sorry. :embarasse
This Space for Rent

Oh Idril, your disposition is as sunny as that country of yours. :mrgreen:

I'm surprising myself by saying this, but Legolas is actually the least of my problems in this issue.

You see, in LOTR, of all the elves you see, Legolas is the only one doing all this fancy footwork. Sure the shield surfing is beyond silly, but you don't see Haldir or a single one of those Galadhrim pull any of these stunts. That helps me accept that Legolas is a cut above the rest: an exceptional warrior with a high degree of dexterity, coordination, and acrobatic training. A remarkable individual among his people. Even the Last Alliance elves don't do any jumping and dancing around.

Cut to the Hobbit trilogy, where suddenly every elf in sight can do this - even poor, dignified Elrond got dragged into the Cirque du Soleil. Suddenly Legolas is no longer so special: it turns out every elf can do what he does. Apparently they all forgot those tricks 60 years later though. Also, I think PJ saw the flaw in this logic and had to up the ante, making Legolas able to defy gravity and simple physics by climbing falling stones on a collapsing bridge and riding giant bats like hang gliders.

This is why I can't help but be annoyed by that battle scene. They should have stuck with Legolas being acrobatic and cut their losses. An entire race of trapeze artists? It defies belief even for a work of fantasy.

Thanks for reading this far and sorry once again. ;)
This Space for Rent

Unfortunately, due to the craptacular lack of functionality, minimal intuitiveness, and number of broken links on their website, there is no easy way to answer your question. I've never had to cancel an order - I had one cancelled but they did it for me because the item was sold out at the US warehouse (again, website error) and I had to re-order from the EU warehouse. Anyway, I do believe that there is no way around not having to get involved with their deteriorating Customer Service by emailing them your order number and telling them to cancel it.

However, be prepared to lose money, and lots of it. What I know for a fact is that you will lose your Non-Refundable Deposit (hence the non-refundable part of it) which I think is about 10% of the full cost of the item? Also, I've been hearing some horror stories from people at FoU that if you cancel an item in the middle of a payment plan, they ding you for a non-refundable fee on each and every payment you made as a service charge. Not sure how much that is, but it has caused some people to not cancel because the whole thing ends up costing almost as much as the original item. This is information that should all be easily and clearly accessible on their website, yet it is nowhere that I can find. I wish you good luck in this, but I see rough seas ahead. :(

Honestly, you might be better off buying the statue and then unloading it on eBay for retail price. At least this way, you'll fully recoup your money.
This Space for Rent

They definitely do a good job of hiding critical information like that. There should be a direct link from your order status page to this, but nope.

At any rate, if my calculations are correct, cancelling a pre-order on a $699 statue with three payments already made on a plan will cost about $165. Not good news.
This Space for Rent

They are a bit late to the game, but Weta is doing Gandalf's pipe staff. $400. Comes with the pipe and leather tobacco pouch. It was never seen in the movie, but it is visible in some of the prop photos, so it's cool that they added it. I can't tell if they included the wrist strap or not. It looks like the leather cord is only holding the pouch. They are also selling the pipe separate for another $100.
https://www.wetanz.com/shop/prop-replic ... the%20Grey
KRDS

Just saw the email and checked out the pre-order page. Wow, did not see that coming! Wonder if they even realize that UC released this a couple of years ago already? Seems like an odd choice, but not the first time they've released competing items. I wish they had done the Moria Staff instead since there is way more demand, and UC seems to be dragging its feet on it for an eternity now with the prototype you worked on, Kit.

I gotta admit I'm very tempted by this staff - it has the Radagast and Gandalf runes, which would be correct, the hole for the leather strap - with the additional tobacco pouch - and the pipe looks to be just a tad more faithful in the shape of the bowl than the UC one does. The $399 price tag is really insane for a staff though. Weta is really losing their minds with the pricing. It's like everything is a premium item now. Can't wait for the next fridge magnet to come out at $99. :rolleye:

So, who's getting this? Idril for sure... :laugh: ... anyone else?
This Space for Rent

WHY wasn’t this the Moria Staff. I’ve hounded and hounded and even reasoned with Dan Falconer about the next staff. Dang it! They even have a licence for the use of lighting now so the crystal could have been lit up. Missed opportunity.

I have the United one and it is beautiful. I don’t need another. The pouch is a nice touch. Tempting but on the fence at this stage. Will get the pipe though.

For the price they're asking and the high shipping cost, I'll stand pat with my UC version of the staff . . . Even if it doesn't have the rune, strap hole/strap, and leather pouch. I'll probably pick up the pipe, though. And I may try my hand at making my own leather pouch at some point.

Whether it's UC or Weta , whoever makes the Moria staff will get my purchase instantly.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

It is a very puzzling decision, and they have to know they are going to lose a lot of sales from folks that already have the UC version. I swear that Weta thinks they are the only provider of ME collectibles sometimes. This is truly a head-scratcher. There's only so much money to go around for collectibles, and with a much cheaper and available-long-ago alternative, I don't see this selling well except for anyone that held out, does not buy UC items, or is a hardcore Weta fan with deep pockets. :huh:

I'm tempted by the pipe too, but this would make it my third Gandalf pipe, though I admit the Noble version is a poor replica in terms of accuracy and length. This pipe will look good in any Gandalf display. I really wish they released the tobacco pouch on its own too. I would just buy that and add it to the UC staff. :'(
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm WHY wasn’t this the Moria Staff. I’ve hounded and hounded and even reasoned with Dan Falconer about the next staff. Dang it! They even have a licence for the use of lighting now so the crystal could have been lit up. Missed opportunity.

I have the United one and it is beautiful. I don’t need another. The pouch is a nice touch. Tempting but on the fence at this stage. Will get the pipe though.
The pipe is a bit different than the UC one. I never had a prop, so I based mine on prop photos, but there was more than one and they did not all look the same. I think I like the one Weta is replicating better.

Regarding the Moria staff, I was told a few weeks ago that this is now going forward, so hopefully we will see it by years end.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:36 pmRegarding the Moria staff, I was told a few weeks ago that this is now going forward, so hopefully we will see it by years end.
YES! Oh man, best news you've given us in ages, Kit! By the Gods of Faerun, the Lords of Kobol, Eru Illuvatar, and whoever or whatever else you may pray to, please make sure this release comes to pass without further delays! :viking:
This Space for Rent

Return to “Weta Workshop”