Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Valkrist wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:25 pm We wants it, yes we does!

Question for Kit: does this staff have the 'G' rune, either on the prop, or both the prop and replica? What was the reason for it being left off the Pipe staff? Oversight?
Man oh man does the prototype look awesome! I can't wait to get my hand on one of those. I'm even ok with the LED coloring as I can honestly say I'll probably only ever turn it on a handful of times.

As for the "G" rune missing from the UC pipe staff, I'm pretty sure it was labeled a Hobbit replica and both the rune and hole were not there yet, but I may be mistaken.

I may be confused about which staff you are asking about, so I'll reply to both -

The Moria staff has both G runes, as in the prototype photos I posted 5 or 6 pages back. It's cast from a LOTR prop, so it's identical to what was in the movie. I did not have a prop of the crystal, so that's a new sculpt based on prop photos and screen caps from FOTR.

Regarding the Pipe Staff - Weta's replica is from LOTR. United's is from BOFA, with the FOTR pipe thrown in. UC's did not have the rune because it was not on our prop or in our BOFA prop photos. At some point it was added before or after the Five Armies battle. You can see it on the staff near the end of the movie, in the scene with Gandalf and Bilbo sitting together after the battle.
KRDS

Idril wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:51 pm Holy hell !!!!!

That looks fantastic!

I might have to get two. One for each side of a door.
Don't forget Treebeard. . .there's still Treebeard to pay for . . . still Treebeard to pay for . . . .still Treebeard to pay for . . . still Treebeard. . . .

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Thanks, Kit. Yes, my first question was regarding the Moria staff, the second was regarding the Pipe staff, so your answer covered everything.

Seems like the Weta prop department screwed up during filming and made a staff with no runes (the one that was sent to UC). At the very least it was a continuity error as I highly doubt there was a missing scene of Gandalf putting his rune on the staff.
This Space for Rent

Weta was not involved with the staff props in TH or LOTR. 3 Foot 7 made those, but I don't think they screwed up. I think we just got a prop that was up to date with the current version of the story, then things changed. There were also a few TH props that we could not use at all because the design was later changed, or dropped. The same thing happened on LOTR. A few examples - our Saruman staff and Herugrim props were early versions, not what appeared in the films.

What is interesting is that there was a Radagast staff prop on display in Wellington a few years ago that already had the G rune on it. It was obviously planned from day 1 that Radagast's staff and Gandalf's pipe staff were to be the same, but it seems the full transition was changed as the story developed, maybe when the films were expanded to three. It's all a blur now, but I remember having some set photos of Gandalf in the BOFA battle with his original staff, the one destroyed in TDOS. This was prior to the last round of pickups being shot, when the bulk of the BOFA battle was filmed. There were even some scenes that made it into the BOFA trailers with that staff, but it was replaced with the CGI pipe staff in the actual movie.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:53 am It's all a blur now, but I remember having some set photos of Gandalf in the BOFA battle with his original staff, the one destroyed in TDOS. This was prior to the last round of pickups being shot, when the bulk of the BOFA battle was filmed. There were even some scenes that made it into the BOFA trailers with that staff, but it was replaced with the CGI pipe staff in the actual movie.
I noticed on my re-watch a few months back that there's a closeup shot of Gandalf and you can actually still see the AUJ staff, but not the full crown, just the lower portion of the crown and top of the shaft - its a closeup shot. It bugs me haha :P I think its the scene where Thranduil says he won't spill any more elvish blood and walks away.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Gandalf has the wrong staff when Legolas tells him about the second army too. If you look close in a few other BOFA scenes you will see Gandalf is holding the AUJ shaft, but the crown has been replaced by a CGI pipe staff. I think one is the scene where Gandalf says 'we may yet survive this', or just after it.

I think we discussed this here before, but if you look at Radagast's staff in the scene where he hands it to Gandalf, it already has the Gandalf rune on it, but it did not have it in TDOS. I'm sure this was simply a screw up during the pick up shots, as it should have been the prop with only the Radagast rune mark.
KRDS

Just as an update. Here is the current pre-order list. United has confirmed there are less than 100 left out of 600.

Current preorder list:

1. Raf (UCForums)
2. Deimos (UCForums)
3. Idril/Humphreys (UCForums)
4. Mykl
5. P. Ivan
6. Byers (UCForums)
7. Shakespeare
8. K. Robertson
9. Narog
10. DeLuca
11. Hopken
12. Edvin
13-15. Arne
16. Striders_Heir (UCForums)
17. Schofield
18. Brent
19. Eason
20. Barazza
21. Whistler
22-23. P. Ivan (second and third)
24. K. Hamd
25-27. P. Ivan (fourth through sixth)
28. Shakespeare (second)
Last edited by RevAnakin on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Okay. I'm kinda hoping Kit can shed some light as well here. So...
I noticed BUDK and UC no longer advertise Bard's Sword as "only 600 made!" They've removed that bit from listing. When I called and spoke to Jessica she says, "There is always the chance we'll make more if it sells well." But via Facebook, whoever operates that, is still telling others strictly only 600 made. So... Yeah? Whatever is going on there.

Anyway, I noticed today on BUDK they have relisted Gandalf's BOFA / Radagast staff in the Hobbit section. I called and asked if they had some found, or returns with cracks that could be picked up, or was the item back in production. The lady informed me that have it in the system as more will be on the way, just no definite date as to when. That I could pre-order one, or sign up for email notification? So BUDK is willing to take some money lol. BUT! Called UC and talked to Jessica, who tells me the item is not back in production and there is no PO for anymore of them listed either. So unless BUDK has gone over marketing and negotiating with the manufacturer for more, it is not a possibility.

Maybe BUDK is mixing up that staff with the eventual/upcoming moria staff?

So... anyone got any news of edition numbers and staff re-releases? B/c one company tells me one thing, and the sister company tells me another....

I think we already talked about the 600 bard sword thing. Maybe in the Weta thread? It's been in United's catalog and on their website since late last year - not limited and not serial numbered. 600 is the first production run, and I think the '600 Worldwide' thing was something BudK ran because they misunderstood. If they sell slow, that may be the only run. If they sell well, I'm sure they will make more. The sword market has been extremely sluggish the past few years though, so I would not count on it.
JJByers wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:07 amMaybe BUDK is mixing up that staff with the eventual/upcoming moria staff?
They have different item numbers, so that's doubtful. The Moria staff has not even been officially released yet.
KRDS

Admittedly I've been absent from this thread for a bit. Sorry if I'm late to that game. I've already Pre-Ordered Bard's sword, my initial call was verifying it for others who were hesitant to place a preorder thinking they'd buy one later.

BUDK has also relisted Gandalf the White's staff, along with the Mace of Sauron and Helm of Sauron. UC isn't answering me anymore lol. Miss Kimberly lol. Anyway, BUDK shows no purchase orders for UC3108 either so realistically its return is doubtful according to who I spoke with this round. Same for Gandalf the White's staff. I didn't bother to inquire for the Sauron stuff.

UC3167? Dain's War Helm, is verified for December, the PO is for 24 units. I'm guessing thats the amount of damaged units sent back? (Sent one back myself) I recall Kimberly saying they do send them back to the manufacturer when/if they're damaged. Guessing those will complete the edition size? BUDK CS couldn't verify that, she said she has a purchase order for 24 helms though.

I seem to recall a Dain helm re-order being discussed the last time I met with the United folks, so that's probably correct. The 24 pc order would be what Budk is buying from United, not how many United is making. And I'm pretty sure United does NOT send defects back to their factory. The shipping cost would make the effort pointless.

I know they were looking at the next round of sword reissues too. I think it was going to be the Rohan swords, and maybe one or two others.
KRDS

I'm not sure its been awhile since I got my Dain helm. Kimberly said something about damaged units had to be replaced or refunded from the manufacturer, and they'd send them back. I was just trying to get one not broken at the time as BUDK had about 7 left in the warehouse.

Someone had made mention of Eowyn's sword having a come back, but outside of that one source I hadn't heard anything so haven't put much in to it. It'd be nice though, given I'm not paying $600 - $800 on eBay for Eowyn's sword, I'd rather just continue to not have it at those prices. Aside from today last I had spoke with UC prior I was told some LOTR items would not be up for renewal, and that was because some other stuff would be taking their spots. Exact items had not been determined at that time. Hey maybe I'll luck out and they'll do Eowyn's and Isildur's sword. One can dream!

On another matter, finally got a Boromir sword, first run... from a shady eBay seller. "Excellent Condition!" Which translated to rust spots on the blade and scratched up or scratched off clear coat from the hilt. But the plaque was brand new, like... how? Whatever. Blade cleaned pretty nicely. On the wall you can't tell anything. $237 was the total damage, apparently she didn't want it back and was willing to negotiate price. Plus I had already started working on it lol.

Heres a link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 991e56f1c9

That pretty much where I got with it. Also snagged a MC Sting.

Striders_Heir wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:40 pm
JJByers wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:27 am Someone had made mention of Eowyn's sword having a come back, but outside of that one source I hadn't heard anything so haven't put much in to it.
That someone was me and I was literally quoting Kit, so the source of that info seems pretty legit lol
I put someone bc I didnt wanna use your real name. It was all I had to go on. And that whole convo was in a WETA thread, which is why I never saw it. As I dont keep up with WETA.

I have a discussion going on elsewhere, and wanted everyone's opinion, Kit's too if he is willing, he designed them lol. Gimli's Battle axe. Back in 2013 on RPF Kit told how they're assembled. Thanks again btw! Seen the pictures on UC Forums from timdp's disassembly and intention to modify. Verified a steel threaded rod running through them. I've got a few people claiming, the axe head just... falls off. No abuse, no swinging it around, no removing the top or bottom nut from the rod. Just, picked it up, and the axe head fell off, like a Noble Collection axe lol. Has anyone had this happen with a UC axe? If I'm wrong its cool and I don't mind admitting it, I've read forums about NC's axe and this happening. But this is... insisting it UC axes. So, anyone know anyone who had this occur? Or had it occur to theirs? At most, I've noticed some flex when picking mine up, which to two separate parts of the wooden haft meet, and even then it isn't much and the rod keeps it from anything serious. Thanks in advance

For my part, the answer is no.

I've always found Gimli's battle axe to be very sturdily built, never been worried about picking it up, hanging it on my wall, or even swinging it about once or twice. I certainly wouldn't try and hit anything with it as there is no doubt in my mind that it is not battle-ready, nor was it ever meant to be. UC was quite clear in their disclaimers. Given the extreme weight of the axe head versus the length of the haft, I'm willing to bet it would break without much effort, but then again only because you are putting an obvious replica under stresses it was never built for.

Regarding the Noble Collection version, I do recall some second-hand reports that it was poorly made in comparison to the UC one, and that the haft was cheaply made out of plywood, or particle board or some such, which led to the axe head breaking off without much effort. Again, I don't know if that was actually the case, but the rumours were circulating. Never heard anything remotely similar about the UC one. Hope that helps.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 am N2, does the shaft not go all the way through to the metal cap above the axe blades, as it would on a real axe? If yes, I too can't understand how it could fall off. :huh:
From the disassembled photo I have seen of the ax there are many pieces assembled around the head with a threaded rod going completely through the head and handle. So to answer you question, no not like a traditional ax where the wooden handle goes through the head and has wedges hammered in the top to keep it from coming off. The threaded rod and epoxy are the main component along with some pieces keyed together, but it looks very strong to me.

Yeah my argument has been: there is no way it just "falls off" unless you're abusing it.... don't be childish guys I'm talking about the axe lol. As Kit said in the RPF thread back in 2013 its bolted and epoxied together. You can't get it apart without damaging it. But, like I said, have a few who swear up and down the UC axe head just falls off. Have even showed them the picture N2D just shared, not good enough lol. Head still fell off I guess lol. I gave up on the conversation yesterday. Some folks are just gonna believe what they wanna believe. No sense in frustrating myself arguing otherwise.

As for the NC one, when it came out I saw a forum review for someone who bought it. I've always remembered it b/c they said the axe head broke off and chipped into a chester drawer beside them or something lol.

Sidenote @N2darkness saw the shelf you made on instagram dude... omg that is amazing!!!!! I need it in my life! lol

Also BUDK has (I know its not guaranteed) Bard's sword estimated availability for today. I wonder if UC got the shipment yet or not.

JJByers wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:29 am Sidenote @N2darkness saw the shelf you made on instagram dude... omg that is amazing!!!!! I need it in my life! lol

Also BUDK has (I know its not guaranteed) Bard's sword estimated availability for today. I wonder if UC got the shipment yet or not.
Thank you very much! I should probably start a thread on my home renovations, but most certainly will when the display room starts to take shape.

As for Bard's sword, I'll be keeping an eye on my backorder and see if it changes. Looking forward to seeing this in hand!.

JJByers wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:29 am...Sidenote @N2darkness saw the shelf you made on instagram dude... omg that is amazing!!!!! I need it in my life! lol
OK, N2, where is your instagram link so I can see what you are building / have built.

(Pictures look fine on a computer screen.)

Wow! Bookshelves unit turned out great!
I'm guessing you made them such that they can be disassembled into, what, four pieces?
The three shelf units and then the bottom section with the drawers.

Looking at all the boxed up Weta stuff made me laugh and wonder if you had more collectibles to move than furniture and other household stuff. :laugh:

Deimos wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:43 pm (Pictures look fine on a computer screen.)

Wow! Bookshelves unit turned out great!
I'm guessing you made them such that they can be disassembled into, what, four pieces?
The three shelf units and then the bottom section with the drawers.

Looking at all the boxed up Weta stuff made me laugh and wonder if you had more collectibles to move than furniture and other household stuff. :laugh:
You are correct, 3 shelf units, the drawer base was made in 2 pieces and a single piece top. So 6 large pieces all together. Took over a month to build and finish.

If I recall, collectibles took over a half dozen car and truck trips alone. Garage may have tied it with 2 Uhaul loads. :thumbs_up

Sorry guys... I had to find out that my UC rep changed again while asking about my shipment. I can't imagine many other companies not sending notification emails when you are assigned a new account manager. But I was given every excuse in the book as why my order was not shipped, but it pretty much comes down to BUDK wanting live stock to sell. From the business facebook page-

BARD SWORD UPDATE:

Hello allies of the Castle! United's first shipment of Bard Swords primarily went to BUDK's pre-orders and BUDK's retail stock rather than fulfilling the many pre-orders of us smaller retailers. This is very unfortunate as I had hoped on shipping all pre-orders in the next two weeks.

Regardless, I have been told the next shipment is due Mid-to-late October with Castle Kon's order of 30 swords being part of it. Therefore, everyone will start receiving invoices this week. I ask that everyone pay by the Oct 1 so that we can be 100% sure of final pre-order counts.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out!
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

JJByers wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:30 am Rev will you inspecting them before sending them out or are we just having them sent to us straight from UC? From our previous talk on Facebook you know why I'm asking lol. So sick of BUDK lmao. If you're not its fine. I just thought I'd ask.
Any and all items bought from me can be inspected and photographed at the request of the customer. It just has to be requested, otherwise the label goes on and it ships immediately.

RevAnakin wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:14 amAny and all items bought from me can be inspected and photographed at the request of the customer. It just has to be requested, otherwise the label goes on and it ships immediately.
Rev, let's ay that out of the 30 , 20 people request an inspection , and five of them are in bad shape, i.e. too flawed to be acceptable.
Will you be able to get 5 more? Meaning, will 5 more even be available from UC as replacements?

I have bought 30 and only have 28 preorders. So currently I have two in reserve. As for if more get determined to be not good enough, I can buy three at a time from BUDK. But no more... So silly. That is if UC has none left.
Deimos wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 pm
RevAnakin wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:14 amAny and all items bought from me can be inspected and photographed at the request of the customer. It just has to be requested, otherwise the label goes on and it ships immediately.
Rev, let's ay that out of the 30 , 20 people request an inspection , and five of them are in bad shape, i.e. too flawed to be acceptable.
Will you be able to get 5 more? Meaning, will 5 more even be available from UC as replacements?

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”