Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Belated Happy Thanksgiving to our American members, and very belated Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian members!

I had a pretty low-key day in some regards, as this was the very first Thanksgiving of my life that I spent alone (well, just me and the cat). Normally I would go to see my brother, but with COVID, that wasn't happening. By the time I finally ate yesterday, I was very wiped out. I was swapping out seasonal wreaths for a while in the morning and then I was cooking, so I was on my feet for several hours. By the time I collapsed onto the couch after I ate, I was achy from neck to lower back. I was also very chilly and my gut felt a bit out of whack, despite having eaten only a very modest portion. So, I think I might have had a bit of a bug. I feel better today, just a bit of a gut ache. I have to remind myself that this happens to me periodically, and the chances of this being COVID are pretty slim. I mean, I've got no contact with people, and I'm washing my hands what seems like constantly, so it's not likely. I'd think it's also unlikely that I could've picked up anything else, given my COVID precautions. In any event, I'm trying to put the tree up today. I succeeded in hauling it up from the basement yesterday and getting it in place, always a challenge for one person to move this large tree and even more so yesterday because it came apart in the storage bagand was almost completely unmanageable. So today, it's put on the hundreds of ornaments I've collected. Very tedious but I always like the end result. If I can get a couple of boxes on and I don't feel dead, I hope to reward myself with an afternoon drive.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Olorin, that sounds like my kind of day - minus the gut ache and back pain part of course, though I do occasionally get one or the other. Isn't getting old fun? :crazy:

I'm glad you did the wise and sensible thing by staying home as it was dismaying to watch over 5 million Americans on the news disregarding recommendations and lining up at airports. Sigh. And it will happen all over again just less than a month from now. Not that Canadians have been much smarter lately, our numbers are blowing up as well. :(

Anyway, didn't mean to turn this into a virus discussion but it seems ever-present in everything we do nowadays. Stay in, keep safe, and don't feed too much turkey to the kitty... they sleep enough as it is. :laugh:
This Space for Rent

Happy Thanksgiving! Spent it with just my parents and my brother and his wife. We usually go over my uncle's house but this year my parents wanted to stay home. Nothing to do with Covid, they just haven't liked going out in bad weather and yesterday was especially windy and cold in our neck of the woods.

Despite it being only us 5, my mom still cooked enough for an army haha.

No turkey in this vegan household, so Jasmine only got her usual catfood. I was afraid she'd come jump on the table while I was eating, but she slept through my dinner. Not that I'm freaked by cats getting on the table (if that freaks you, you can't have a cat), but rather, I took its protective pad off so I could enjoy the beautiful tabletop as I ate. First time in 13 years....

Speaking of Jasmine, I recently discovered she has gained a pound and a half in the not quite two years I've had her. She's now just a little over 10 pounds. She's not fat, but she feels very solid and I wouldn't want her to get any bigger.

Olorin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:24 am ...Speaking of Jasmine, I recently discovered she has gained a pound and a half in the not quite two years I've had her. She's now just a little over 10 pounds. She's not fat, but she feels very solid and I wouldn't want her to get any bigger.
Can you feed her a bit less and slim her down?
Excess weight on an animal is no different than excess weight on a human, in that it can (and usually does) cause heart and other internal problems.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I will if it comes to that. I'm already feeding her slightly less than the manufacturer recommended feeding, and she usually doesn't eat all of it (though to hear her tell it, she's starving). I imagine she was skinny at the shelter because of stress and now she's comfortable in a loving home and she's filled out. But I'll definitely be keeping an eye on her.

Olorin wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:47 am feeding her slightly less than the manufacturer recommended feeding
lol... is your cat an android of some kind? :crazy:

All joking aside, yeah I totally hear you on that. My new(ish) little guy has also put on a couple of pounds since we adopted him just over one year ago from the shelter. Just like yours, he was likely slim due to stress and more careful, regimented feeding times and amounts. I wouldn't call my cat overweight but for some reason his belly skin really stretched out and now he has this flabby pouch that hangs down when he runs around. I affectionately call them "saddlebags".

I got comfortable with my previous cat being a daily grazer and never overeating, but this one can't be trusted to do that and has become a bit of a beggar. He also gets a tiny handful of freeze-dried minnows as a treat before bed every night. I'm now cutting down his daily portions of regular food, however.
This Space for Rent

@Val, I'm glad to hear you got a new cat! What is his name? BTW and as I'm sure you realize, I was referring to the cat food manufacturer's recommendations. The cat's manufacturer's recommendations would be as many mice as she can catch. ;)

@Buckeye, thanks for posting that. I would never in a million years have guessed that that phenomenon was called a primordial pouch.

Yes, I know you meant the food, not the cat. Just sounded funny! :laugh:

I thought I had mentioned I got a new cat, but as it seems I didn't, he's a male Russian blue named Loki. Three years old when we got him, four now. Super affectionate and not a furniture jumper, which is a huge plus for me. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

(A little late with my reply but it is still Thanksgiving Day in AZ as I write this)
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all :cheers:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Well, Thanksgiving is upon us. And already long past for our Canadian members (belated Happy Thanksgiving!). As I write this message, I am reflecting on what I am thankful for this year. I've reached that age where being thankful for health is appropriate, so I'll start off with that. Closely related, I'm thankful I'm still able to work from home, at least through the end of the year. I'm also thankful for this beautiful, blue-eyed cat, Jasmine, who is tapping my elbow and meowing as I write this, wanting attention. There, I've leaned back and put my feet up, so she's now happily lying on my lap. I'm thankful that although a hail storm broke some of my siding a few weeks ago, I have just enough left over from the construction of the house to replace it. I'm thankful that I can still get parts for my 19+ year old car, as I did yesterday, and that it rarely needs anything other than routine maintenance (GM should never have ended Saturn). I'm thankful for a pantry and fridge absolutely stuffed with food, so that my only food issue is settling on a menu for tomorrow. I'm thankful we have a gluten-free bakery in town now, though it's pricey and its offerings are a treat, not a staple (picking up some orange cranberry scones later today). I'm thankful for family and friends, so that I'm not alone in the world. I'm thankful for our forum, which has provided endless interaction for me for decades now (and where I can occasionally wax philosophical, this being as close as I get to "social media"). I'm thankful that I'm approaching the end of my career (theoretically three more years, but I could chuck it all on a moment's notice now, if I had to). I'm thankful for the many parks and nature preserves in the area, where I've spent much weekend time these past three years, in the absence of movies, concerts, and other things I used to do cooped up in a room with hundreds of other exhaling humans. And I'm thankful that we had almost a normal autumn this year, and that I could visit all those parks and nature preserves to see beautiful fall colors silhouetted against an azure sky.

So with those thoughts in mind, I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, or whatever you call it if you're outside the US...even if it's already over. Just try not to over-indulge at the harvest table!

Happy Thanksgiving to our American members, and a belated happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian members. The border was on my mind yesterday, as the news broke of a car exploding on one of the bridges at Niagara Falls. As more information starts to become available, it sounds like it was just a random accident and not an intentional attack. Still, it's one of those sad things that happen, and when they happen around the holidays, it makes them seem even more sad.

Elsewhere in the world, if this is not a day specially set aside by your country for thanks, I hope at least that you have a day of peace. The world seems so fraught and crazy anymore, but I suppose really, was it ever not that way? My true prayer for Thanksgiving is that someday everyone learns how to get along.

Return to “Announcements”