UC "Museum Collection" Carbon Steel Anduril ??

Someone from another forum mentioned they were talking to UC regarding the Museum Collection Line. Although there was no mention of a MC Anduril, the Rep did state they are currently working on a High Carbon Steel version which should be out next year!!

1) After asking Kit for years, I highly doubt this is the start / reboot of a new MC line.
2) My best guess is this might be a "blinged out" version for the 20th Anniversary next year?
3) If this is more than just a rumor, I do hope they also make the handle construction a bit more concrete - making the sword truly "battle worthy".
4) Sigh... guess this means i'll have to own 3 Andurils lol.

Anyone hear anything else about this?! Not going to lie, i've dreamt about a MC Anduril since they announced the MC Line about 15 years ago... so super excited!! :)
Last edited by Jash on Sat May 29, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Re: UC Carbon Steel Anduril ??

I think I know what that is about. United's fully functional Honshu swords that I design have done really well this year, especially the broadsword, so they were considering some battle ready LOTR swords again. A few months back we discussed what it would take to make a completely functional, battle ready Anduril with steel hilt parts, costs, et cetera. Essentially they would have to be custom made swords and cost several thousand, so I don't think that is going to happen. They can cast the guard and pommel in steel, but the detailing would have to be simplified...which means it won't look like Anduril anymore.

They are sending me an Anduril with a carbon steel blade to test, but I think it's built with the stock cast and plated hilt parts. Functional forged blades are easy for them, but they also need non breakable hilts, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

There are some other LOTR things in the works in addition to the possibilities I have mentioned here earlier this year. Faramir's sword was one that was discussed. I would love to add that one too the line, but I'm not sure how much interest there would be.
KRDS

I saw a day or two ago that Drew Hall (UC's apparent Facebook spokesperson) had said that both Faramirs sword and a Theoden helm were coming up/in the works. I think both items will be great sellers!

Kit - are there any LOTR swords that spring to mind that could be made 'Battle ready' with steel hilts that wouldn't need simplification? or are they all too ornate?

EDIT: an afterthought I've just had - why don't UC instead pursue something similar to the 'Museum Collection' line, but instead of being semi battle ready, focus on the ageing etc on the original props? Whilst I'm happy to age swords myself, I bet a lot of people would love a line of swords with blades, hilts aged, similar to the MC Sting, MC Glamdring, MC Samwise and the Morgul blade .... Imagine an Eowyn sword like this .... with proper hollow grinds too ;)
34305552_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

As for "battle ready" swords, I have never really seen the point. Who is going to take a sword that costs thousands of dollars and go out and hit things with it? I know there are collectors that only want the real deal and fully functional. Personally I want something that looks the most screen accurate as possible and still be made of metal and leather.

It is good news that some more new items are in the works, especially Faramir's sword as he is pretty much the last secondary character that has an on screen weapon that hasn't been produced. Having just watched the trilogy in 4k, I really can't think of many more that could be done besides some the more generic Rohan and Gondor blades we see everywhere.
Theoden's helm sounds like a great piece to accompany the new Eomer helm.

Still hoping for Legolas's Lothlorien bow.

As well as the usual dream list of remaining items:
3rd Ringwraith sword.
other 3 Weathertop hobbit swords
Grima's dagger
Boromir's dagger
Gimli's throwing axes

N2darkness wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:27 am As well as the usual dream list of remaining items:
3rd Ringwraith sword.
other 3 Weathertop hobbit swords
Grima's dagger
Boromir's dagger
Gimli's throwing axes
I would add Haldir's sword to that dream list.

Boromir's dagger is another one they expressed interest in doing, so I am going to go ahead and draw the CAD up so they can get it costed. No guarantee it will get made, but we got the helm made and the sword reissued, so it's possible.
Last edited by Nasnandos on Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:48 am Kit - are there any LOTR swords that spring to mind that could be made 'Battle ready' with steel hilts that wouldn't need simplification? or are they all too ornate?
Maybe the Rohan swords. Since the hilt parts are of a brass/bronze coloring, they could be cast is solid brass. That can be cast with much finer details than steel can. Practically all of the other swords would need steel hilt parts to hold up, which cannot be done in production without altering the designs. I have zero interest in doing that.
Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:48 am EDIT: an afterthought I've just had - why don't UC instead pursue something similar to the 'Museum Collection' line, but instead of being semi battle ready, focus on the ageing etc on the original props?
That's actually what the MC line was supposed to be from the start. High quality display pieces with better materials and finishing to more accurately look like the props seen in the films, housed in display cabinets. Over the years some collectors have confused those with primarily being fully functional, battle ready versions, and thus confused the folks at the new UC with their requests. Those original MC swords did have carbon steel blades, but they were hardly what I would call functional. The tangs were not even peened through the ends of the pommels. The guards and pommel were a cast in a non ferrous alloy, so that was not even possible. I think the people wanting functional LOTR and the MC collectors are not necessarily the same people anyway.
KRDS

As always Kit, thank you for shedding light onto this "rumor".

I have yet to handle a Honshu sword, but have been hearing very good things about them (from a Sword Forum). After seeing the Broadsword, I always wondered how much more it'd take for UC to use those skills towards their LOTR line. Looks like i wasn't the only one lol.

It is a shame that Anduril will have to be changed to help lower the price point and ease of production. To be honest, I'm not sure how well a "battle worthy sword based on Anduril" would do. There are already quite a few Anduril Inspired battle worthy replicas out there in the $500 to $1000 price range. And for the UC Collectors, it's pretty safe to assume everyone has an Anduril by now, and some of us 2 already. Would a 3rd version, which looks less like the prop, do well as the entry piece to a new line?

I agree with the above statements. Maybe a more modest looking sword might be a better "Product First". My vote would be fore either Strider's Ranger sword or Faramir's. For the Ranger sword - it's a very popular design, more simplistic fittings, and there's only 1 UC version out there (versus Anduril, Narsil, Glamdring, Sting, Samwise). For Faramir's sword, UC could play on the need for the collecting community wanting any replica of his sword, so there might be more interest versus swords most people already have. Plus, it also has a more simple aesthetic.
*Edit - just read the part about casting any fittings in steal versus brass. Guess the above 2 examples will be just as difficult.

Does this new line of "battle worthy" swords intend to stay around the same Price Point as the current offerings and Honshu line? If not, any idea how much more expensive these might be?

And for the record, I love my MC Glamdring for what it is. A well made, high quality, display piece. :)

Jash wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:03 am Does this new line of "battle worthy" swords intend to stay around the same Price Point as the current offerings and Honshu line? If not, any idea how much more expensive these might be?
Well, let's not jump ahead. There is no new line. They just expressed an interest in fully functional LOTR swords, so I discussed what it would take to do it right vs just sticking a carbon steel blade in the current hilts. It's a difference between a few thousand $$$ (and simplifying the designs) vs adding 10-20% and changing nothing (which won't really be functional). The sample being sent to me is something their LOTR factory worked up, but they do not make functional swords so I am not expecting it to hold up to what I will do when I test it.

I don't really expect it to go anywhere and I would rather see the time spent on another true MC sword+scabbard anyway - minus those massive display cases.
KRDS

As a completist, I would buy anything that’s new from LotR. I think I own a few Hobbit pieces, but couldn’t say off the top of my head what they are, as they’re not on display. I would love some new MC pieces. And would again buy anything new for LotR.

On another note, I recently held my high school book club meeting from my office, being that everything here in SoCal, for the most part, is still distance learning. And that group of 40ish book nerds dreamed and salivated over someday owning LotR swords.

N2darkness wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:06 am
Nasnandos wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:02 am
I would rather see the time spent on another true MC sword+scabbard anyway - minus those massive display cases.
Has UC actually considered making more items for the MC line? If so what were your recommendations?
No. At least not what I would call a Museum Collection line. I do remember discussing it back around 2007, as I thought the Witch-king dagger was a prime candidate, but that did not happen. Well, a watered down version did get made, and the same with the so called "MC" Sam sword, but it has not seriously been discussed since then that I recall. I may have brought it up again when I customized and weathered my Orcrist sword, but it's a different crew in their product development department now than back then. The more accurate look and weathered aspect of the MC line is key to "museum" quality to me, but I'm not sure their current factories can even do that effectively in production.

I had a list of the next 2 or 3 MC pieces that would have been made at the old UC, but I don't even recall now what those were. Probably Anduril and Strider's sword.
KRDS

lol my bad. Guess the hope of an MC Anduril has awoken the collector in me from 15 years ago!

I vote for Kit to make a J. Nielsen type destruction video!!

In reply to N2's question / comment regarding "Battle Ready" : The great thing about the LOTR swords is they appeal to 2 collecting groups - both prop replica collectors as well as sword collectors. If UC had made their swords initially "battle ready", such as Windlass did with their "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Gladiator" lines, then it would appease both groups in one shot. UC focuses/focused more on display swords, so put more attention into screen accuracy, while great for prop collectors, made sword collectors feel wanting. I, sadly, collect both. So my inner prop collector wants something as accurate as possible, but the sword collector in my wants a "real sword" as opposed to a display piece lol. I don't think most sword collectors will go outside swinging / cutting things, but it adds to the realism having a sword that a character would actually have used. I guess, trying to get closer to the swords made by Peter Lyon as possible.... which is difficult in the entry level sword price point.

am.dk wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:58 am uc mc glamdring ,is a peice of art ,it is a high kvality. sword.
high carbon steel ,make it even better.
the sword are forge and made in toledo in spain ,
It was a higher quality looking replica, but not higher quality as far as the construction. I don't think it was built as strong as the original UC version, but people were not buying those to use. The blades were not really forged either, as I came to find out after visiting the factory when they were being made.
KRDS

I like the idea of a more screen accurate, weathered line as an MC Collection, like the one Sam sword. As stainless. Theres so much hype on the MC Glamdring and the justification of its price tag.
You got a glass case.
You got a "hand forged spring steel blade." ... Or did you now come find out?
What was it? $1200? I believe. Back in the day, and it still had the same hilt materials as the wall hangers just more weathered. Ditch the case, ditch the hcs blade (pointless with a hollow alloy hilt) and do a more weathered/accurate stainless version as a LE and knock it down to I dont know? $300 or $400? Instead of $1200. Do a different, nicer plaque or something.
It's kinda like that blue scabbard everyone puts on a pedestal, once I finally got my hands on one, I was REALLY happy I didn't pay the crazy $600 some ppl have payed. That thing is cheeeeeap. I digress.

My first thought when I saw Carbon Steel Anduril was the same as MC Glamdring. Good steel maybe, maybe, with UC who knows, but the exact same alloy hilt that would sheer off at the tang... why bother? Thats like Valyrian Steel constantly saying their GoT swords are full tang... only to admit they welded a rail tail on... but still say its full tang.... why? Whats the point lol.

JJByers wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:20 am You got a "hand forged spring steel blade." ... Or did you now come find out?
I Don't recall what grade of carbon steel they used for the blade now, but they were stock removal, not forged, and not spring hardened.
JJByers wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:20 am My first thought when I saw Carbon Steel Anduril was the same as MC Glamdring. Good steel maybe, maybe, with UC who knows, but the exact same alloy hilt that would sheer off at the tang... why bother?
I tested the sample last week. I have to admit, the 1060 forged blade looks a lot nicer than the stainless version. The spring temper was not quite right, but I know they can do it correctly based on other swords this blade maker forges. The hilt and tang actually held up to normal use testing, and I tested it gripping it normally and just by the pommel. I still would not call it a functional battle ready sword, and It won't hold up to stoopid use, meaning the dumb things people do with swords, like chopping wood.
JJByers wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:20 am Thats like Valyrian Steel constantly saying their GoT swords are full tang... only to admit they welded a rail tail on... but still say its full tang.... why? Whats the point lol.
Not sure, but they may not have known in the beginning. As I recall, most of the HBO swords, and the book versions I worked on, were made in one of UC's LOTR sword factories. I don't recall anything made full tang or functional. They can't even be made with a full tang peened through the pommel end because the pommels are not steel.
KRDS

@Nasnandos You should see the idiot on YT trying to cut a mini keg with Orcrist and complaining it doesn't cut... People are. Unique... Yeah unique.
And VS steel holds true to the full tang claim. If you bust them out they say, "well we use a similar steel for the threaded portion thats welded on so it might as well be one piece."
As far as cutting goes, unless its a pool noodle at this point its almost excessive lol. Tatami isn't worth the order anymore. And edge alignment makes pool noodles a challenge anyway lol.
Last edited by JJByers on Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nasnandos wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:43 am I tested the sample last week. I have to admit, the 1060 forged blade looks a lot nicer than the stainless version. The spring temper was not quite right, but I know they can do it correctly based on other swords this blade maker forges. The hilt and tang actually held up to normal use testing, and I tested it gripping it normally and just by the pommel. I still would not call it a functional battle ready sword, and It won't hold up to stoopid use, meaning the dumb things people do with swords, like chopping wood.
Interesting... seems as though it held up better than expected. Do you think it's possible for the forge to make the hilt a touch stronger to meet your threshold to give it a "pass"? If i recall, this one is still using the hilt components and construction from the UC Anduril, with the only difference being the blade steel?

Ya know not for nothin'. The 1060 Andy has seemed to peak my interest, BUT, as far as United's wall hangers go.... Boromir's sword just feels good in hand. That. In 1060 would be pretty great imo. Maybe we should push to put that idea out there. Could kill some pool noodles with that easy lol.
Windlass had their version back in the days called "The Mercenary" but I was never able to snag one sadly. And I dont care for StrongBlades version as the blades profile is just all off. It more like a spade tip than the point Boromir's go down to.

Jash wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:11 am
Nasnandos wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:43 am I tested the sample last week. I have to admit, the 1060 forged blade looks a lot nicer than the stainless version. The spring temper was not quite right, but I know they can do it correctly based on other swords this blade maker forges. The hilt and tang actually held up to normal use testing, and I tested it gripping it normally and just by the pommel. I still would not call it a functional battle ready sword, and It won't hold up to stoopid use, meaning the dumb things people do with swords, like chopping wood.
If i recall, this one is still using the hilt components and construction from the UC Anduril, with the only difference being the blade steel?
They used the stock guard and pommel. Since those are cast and plated parts, not steel, I cannot call that functional. The cross guard can be snapped if it is struck hard. It still has a welded tail on the tang end that screws into a nut with a pommel friction fit and epoxied over it. A true full tang cannot be peened through the pommel end and finished properly since that would be trying to peen and finish a non ferrous alloy to steel. It would just make a mess. They can't make those parts in steel for production. Well they can, but at that point they would hand ground and finished parts, so it becomes basically a small, limited run of a custom sword, approaching Weta Master Swordsmith prices.
Jash wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:11 am Do you think it's possible for the forge to make the hilt a touch stronger to meet your threshold to give it a "pass"?
Last Fall I came up with a way to modify the pommel tooling to add a steel sleeve inside for a longer tang and longer brass nut for the threaded end, as well as other ideas to make the tang and hilt more stable. They did not do any of that, but what they did was stronger than the stock sword, since the pommel did not snap off when I tested it. But again, the guard and pommel are not steel, so it's really only the blade that is functional.
KRDS

Aahh I see... Doubt this will help, but who knows: When Jalic Blades / Valyrian Steel announced their "Last Kingdom" sword of Uhtred, my main question was if they planned on making either a Damascus or Functional version of his sword. Their issue was partly due to handle construction as well - as I can see Anduril having a similar problem with the "open ringed" pommel. One of the 2 ideas I had might also work for Anduril. I saw this on a Chinese made European longsword and it was quite different. They made the blade tang wider, and then pinned it on either side with wooden scales. Similar to a sandwiched construction seen on a Greek Xiphos or Roman Pugio. After wrapping the wood/steel tang with leather, it was impossible to tell the different construction. They still had a welded threaded portion afterwards, but that was just to anchor the pommel on for counter balance. Sadly, even if this were to work with this version of Anduril, it will still not solve the issue of the cast guard durability... :(

Pinning the tang through the handle grip like a katana was one of the changes I suggested to United last Fall for Anduril. It would still have had a tang that extended into the pommel, but the main anchor point would have been through the grip.

I also consulted on the Last Kingdom sword construction for Jalic. Pinning the tang through the handle was my first thought on that one too, but I came up with a way to make the standard threaded tang and nut system work for it.
KRDS

Oh sorry Kit, completely missed your reply. Glad to see I wasn't too far off on my ideas lol. Regarding the sword from "Last Kingdom", I don't mind a stainless steel display piece (obviously, considering my other collections lol) - but I would find it difficult having a sword called "Serpent's Breath" without any kind of pattern down the blade haha.

In other news - regarding carbon steel LOTR swords - has anyone else noticed this yet?! UC's Honshu line started an "Historic" subset, and first one up kinda reminds me of something ;)
https://www.budk.com/Honshu-Historic-Si ... -106-48975
$220 USD for a "functional" sword (made by Windlass if i'm not mistaken). Seems like a just a few tweaks away from becoming Boromir's!
Not sure where this is going, just thought it interesting UC developed this Boromir-inspired sword as we're discussing a "functional" Anduril...

Jash wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:42 pm ...

In other news - regarding carbon steel LOTR swords - has anyone else noticed this yet?! UC's Honshu line started an "Historic" subset, and first one up kinda reminds me of something ;)
https://www.budk.com/Honshu-Historic-Si ... -106-48975
$220 USD for a "functional" sword (made by Windlass if i'm not mistaken). Seems like a just a few tweaks away from becoming Boromir's!
Not sure where this is going, just thought it interesting UC developed this Boromir-inspired sword as we're discussing a "functional" Anduril...
It does indeed look like Bo's sword, no mistake about it. Lacks a bit of detail but anyone who has seen the UC version can see the similarity.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Deimos wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:31 pm It does indeed look like Bo's sword, no mistake about it. Lacks a bit of detail but anyone who has seen the UC version can see the similarity.
Well...I design the Honshu line, so... :)

It actually started as a single-handled arming/broadsword, a follow up to my Honshu Broadsword. It's a mix of the medieval type XIV and XXII swords shown below, which is what Boromir's sword actually is. Originally I had a typical round puck style pommel, like the drawing below. I never cared for those myself, so at the last minute I extended the handle to a hand-and -half length and switched to a fish tail style pommel like the Boromir sword. Funny thing is, United never changed the name, so it is still called a single hand broadsword rather than a hand-and-a-half.

For those of you interested in the "historical" version with the leather grip, I would wait until later this year to get one. What they are making now is too heavy, but it is being tweaked. My standard Honshu version is also coming out later this year.

KRDS

OOooooo is the top picture the Type XIV from the MET?!? The one that the replica used in "Dracula" is based on?? I have always loved that sword, just a pity none of the production replicas have the correct dimensions :(

Kit - I guess my question is - if UC can contract Windlass to make a fully functional sword similar to Boromir's for just over $200 (including scabbard)... then what is stopping UC from making a fully functional licensed Boromir sword for just a little more.. even double? I'm sure there's a lot I don't know about hidden costs etc... but it seems like UC is so VERY close to this one being a reality haha.

On a similar note - is the Anduril still in the works? Or has UC moved on from this idea?

Jash wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:16 pm OOooooo is the top picture the Type XIV from the MET?!? The one that the replica used in "Dracula" is based on?? I have always loved that sword, just a pity none of the production replicas have the correct dimensions :(

Kit - I guess my question is - if UC can contract Windlass to make a fully functional sword similar to Boromir's for just over $200 (including scabbard)... then what is stopping UC from making a fully functional licensed Boromir sword for just a little more.. even double? I'm sure there's a lot I don't know about hidden costs etc... but it seems like UC is so VERY close to this one being a reality haha.

On a similar note - is the Anduril still in the works? Or has UC moved on from this idea?
Yes, that's the one. My original Honshu version is 40", same as the one in the Met. No distal taper though, so it's about a pound too heavy. The Windlass version is even heavier, among other issues that are still being tweaked.

Regarding a functional Boromir sword - we would never get the hilt detailing or grinding as clean on a Windlass sword as we can on the current UC sword. It's a whole different process they use. We could get something similar, but it would not look completely accurate. Then there is the weight issue that would make it minimally functional. Maybe one day, but I don't think they are ready for that yet.

The carbon steel Anduril is still in the works, but more as an MC edition. Still a lot of issues to hammer out, so it's not a sure thing yet.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:55 pm Yes, that's the one. My original Honshu version is 40", same as the one in the Met. No distal taper though, so it's about a pound too heavy. The Windlass version is even heavier, among other issues that are still being tweaked.

Regarding a functional Boromir sword - we would never get the hilt detailing or grinding as clean on a Windlass sword as we can on the current UC sword. It's a whole different process they use. We could get something similar, but it would not look completely accurate. Then there is the weight issue that would make it minimally functional. Maybe one day, but I don't think they are ready for that yet.

The carbon steel Anduril is still in the works, but more as an MC edition. Still a lot of issues to hammer out, so it's not a sure thing yet.
Well I look forward to seeing how this Historical Honshu line goes. There's a lot of potential! And UC is now stepping up their game into the introductory functional market. Hey, the more competition, the better, in my opinion.

Aahh I see regarding the Boromir sword. Seems like one of the bigger issues, like Anduril, is getting accurate steel hilt components? I wonder if it would be possible sourcing another company solely for steel hilt parts? Similar to how Printed Armoury does only fittings for the Hanwei Tinker line?

Still in the works? Hey, as long as you didn't say "Cancelled" or "Put on the backburner" - I'm happy :)

It's not "getting" the steel hilt components that is the problem. It's the limitations in how they have to be made and the cost ceiling. Real forged steel hilt parts, like Lyon's parts, are precisely shaped and polished on grinders. Cast zinc parts, like the regular LOTR replicas are precisely cast to shape in steel dies, so it is easy to make the shapes consistently accurate, but those are too brittle to be functional.

For production steel hilts parts to be made functional, we have to do steel investment casting/lost wax. That allows the shapes to be roughly cast to shape, but the surfaces still have to be hand ground and polished to finish them. Any complex shapes with sharp corners or ridges - basically everywhere on the Anduril guard and pommel - get polished down smooth, altering the looks. We lose a lot the detail, and in some cases deep fillets and shapes have to be simplified because they are too small to polish. That's why all those functional LOTR sword knockoffs never look right. Same with the raised ridges on the twisted square bar shape of the Boromir sword guard. All those ridges would get polished smooth in the polishing process, and some of the deep corners and fillets would not be polished at all. Parts like you see on the the Hanwei Tinker line are easy to make because the surfaces are all smooth and easy to polish. Nothing in LOTR is like that.

As with anything, you can get whatever quality you want to pay for. We could have those parts more finely polished and shaped so they don't lose as much detail, but then the time to make one sword goes from days to weeks, cost skyrockets up into the hand-made price range, units per run drop from hundreds to a dozen or so, and it is no longer a production sword.
Jash wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 am Well I look forward to seeing how this Historical Honshu line goes. There's a lot of potential!
I'm not sure it will do even a fraction of what the regular line does, but I hope I am wrong. I do not design the Honshu line for collectors of historical swords at all. It was always intended to be modern takes on historical weapons using modern materials. If anything, it's going backwards, but I know there is a small market for people who like those swords but want traditional grips.
KRDS

In regard to the sacrifice of detail/accuracy for functionality in a mass production sword, I wonder if the best candidate for a battle ready UC LOTR sword wouldn't be Anduril but rather the Ranger sword. It's not as ornate, there's no Elvish engraving, and the contours are relatively less intricate not to mention it has perhaps the most real world practical design of the entire series. As much as I love Anduril, if I carried a sword I think I'd go with Strider's.

Have to agree.... aesthetically Strider's sword tops the list.
If 'elegant' can be used to describe a weapon, it is one elegant sword.

Nasnandos wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:17 am
Jash wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 am Well I look forward to seeing how this Historical Honshu line goes. There's a lot of potential!
I'm not sure it will do even a fraction of what the regular line does, but I hope I am wrong. I do not design the Honshu line for collectors of historical swords at all. It was always intended to be modern takes on historical weapons using modern materials. If anything, it's going backwards, but I know there is a small market for people who like those swords but want traditional grips.
Hahah I did not think about that, and quite ironic. I hope you are wrong as well :) Judging by the various FB sword groups - it seems to be a 50/50 split so far. People do love the modern take on the swords, but there are a lot of traditionalists as well.... I think what makes this first Historical Sword so popular is it's resemblance to Boromir's.

Aahhh thank you for the detailed explanation on where exactly the issue is. Fingers crossed you and UC can find a way!

Strider's Ranger Sword is by far one of my favourites from LOTR, with the more simplistic design. I believe there are at least 4 decent unlicensed "battle ready" versions on the market already. I was actually thinking Faramir's would be a great candidate for the initial release. It has a simple hilt and there are currently no other versions on the market. I guess the idea of this first sword possibly being the Anniversary Edition is why UC started with Anduril.

That looks really nice! The plaque looks like a combo between the LE metal piece and the design shape of the UE version, with the bottom tapered instead of rounded. The silkscreen design is also much improved. If only I could figure out where to display it, I might reconsider picking it up.
This Space for Rent

Hahah beat me to it :)

For those not on FB... posted by Drew from UC:

"Anduril Museum Collection coming at you. The biggest changes are the etches and blood groove are correct, the etching on the current Anduril has always been slightly off. The blade is 1060 carbon with a high polish on it (it looks totally different than the current Anduril) then the plaque and banner are new. There's a few other changes, but I'll wait until the prototype gets here to tell you about that. (this is a rendering, prototype has not arrived yet)"

N2darkness wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:23 am Looks like a really cool presentation with the banner and the plaque. I am curious though, is there a hole in the banner to be able to mount the plaque?

Can't wait to see what the new blade looks like with the deeper fuller and corrected etching.
If the two screw holes are in line, with one above and one below (as opposed to the side-by-side layout of the older plaques), I can see the banner being split down the middle with enough room for the screws to go in between,
This Space for Rent

Really nice.... I'd be tempted.
Someone who knows swords... real swords (Jash, Kit?) Any idea what this might go for ? (Ball park, plus or minus 20%)

@Val - yes, "Blood Grooves" always has been a pet peeve of mine lol.

@N2 - I was wondering the same thing! Like Val, I'm also guessing just a simple slit down the middle.

@Deimos - Oh wow, I'd be scared to even fancy a guess. Especially not knowing what these other changes are that Drew mentioned. But, if it's like "Guess the Number of Jellybeans" and I win a Blue Bladed Sting... I'll give it a shot lol. The way I'm thinking - a Licensed Anduril is roughly $200 ($100 base + $100 license/"LOTR" stuff). The Honshu Line is also roughly $200 ($100 base + $100 upgrade in materials and workmanship). So by that logic a Licensed Anduril with the upgrade would be about $300. But... new plaque, banner, high polish = $400 now. I believe this one is still not confirmed to be Limited or Not... So overall I would guess $400 to $500 (depending on the other changes and if it's "limited"). Keep in mind a fully functional "Anduril" from other companies sell for about $600. The lack of cabinet display (MC Glamdring) will be a huge cost saver I have always admired BudK/UC's ability to keep cost to the buyer as low as possible.

Honestly, the part that surprised me the most is the switch to a Highly Polished Blade. Which is a very different direction from the other 3 "Museum Collection" swords. Don't get me wrong - I'm looking forward to it. Reminds me more of the scene when Aragorn first unsheaths Anduril. As well as closer to the works of Peter Lyon.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”