Re: UC Carbon Steel Anduril ??

Jash wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:20 pm Honestly, the part that surprised me the most is the switch to a Highly Polished Blade. Which is a very different direction from the other 3 "Museum Collection" swords. Don't get me wrong - I'm looking forward to it. Reminds me more of the scene when Aragorn first unsheaths Anduril. As well as closer to the works of Peter Lyon.
It won't be a mirror polish, but it will have the same type of polish as the hero prop that I posted in the KRDS thread. I think I posted a pic of the actual UC blade with that finish here sometime last year, when I tested the original carbon steel prototype.

The Sting and Glamdring hero props did not have a polished finish like that, but they were more polished than the UC's MC versions.
KRDS

Re: UC "Museum Collection" Carbon Steel Anduril ??

Valkrist wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:23 pm Kit, what should one expect in terms of maintenance for a wall hanger that won't be handled but is carbon steel versus the stainless steel version?
The same care as the Sting and Glamdring MC blades, for any of you that own those. Either apply light coat of oil every few months or clean and degrease the blade and apply a coat of wax to seal it - automotive wax or Renaissance Wax. Either way, avoid finger prints on the blade, and wipe it down if it does get touched.

As long as it is kept in an air conditioned, low humidity environment, it will take a long time to oxidize or rust even if you don't apply any protective coating. I have a few carbon steel blades in my sample room that have been in open air for years. I don't think I have ever done anything other than wipe the dust off, and they only have a few tiny rust spots.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:58 pm
Valkrist wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:23 pm Kit, what should one expect in terms of maintenance for a wall hanger that won't be handled but is carbon steel versus the stainless steel version?
The same care as the Sting and Glamdring MC blades, for any of you that own those. Either apply light coat of oil every few months or clean and degrease the blade and apply a coat of wax to seal it - automotive wax or Renaissance Wax. Either way, avoid finger prints on the blade, and wipe it down if it does get touched.

As long as it is kept in an air conditioned, low humidity environment, it will take a long time to oxidize or rust even if you don't apply any protective coating. I have a few carbon steel blades in my sample room that have been in open air for years. I don't think I have ever done anything other than wipe the dust off, and they only have a few tiny rust spots.
Would clear coating the blade, could it be a thing, for me, the purchaser you think? Or what was it Windlass used to do? Lacquer them? I have some old Windlass' that have never been maintenanced and are still shiny from whatever they sealed them with. If so, could you recommend something to use that would keep the factory appearance as is for display? Thanks in advance.

"As long as it is kept in an air conditioned, low humidity environment, it will take a long time to oxidize or rust even if you don't apply any protective coating."

Low deserts of Arizona....I am there! :btr:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Nasnandos wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:58 pm

Not sure if people will call me an idiot for having done this, but when I got my MC Glamdring it had white spots, rust spots, rusty fingerprints etc. So I polished the blade and I personally think it looks way better this way than it did with the original satin finish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex, it sounds like the condition in which you received the sword would have made cleaning it up while still maintaining the original finish a very difficult and/or not worth-it task. Honestly, I see nothing stupid about what you did. The blade looks fantastic and not everyone is a fan of the aged, beat-up look, so if you're happy with your work and the sword looks good on your wall, then that's all that matters. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:42 pm
Jash wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:20 pm Honestly, the part that surprised me the most is the switch to a Highly Polished Blade. Which is a very different direction from the other 3 "Museum Collection" swords. Don't get me wrong - I'm looking forward to it. Reminds me more of the scene when Aragorn first unsheaths Anduril. As well as closer to the works of Peter Lyon.
It won't be a mirror polish, but it will have the same type of polish as the hero prop that I posted in the KRDS thread. I think I posted a pic of the actual UC blade with that finish here sometime last year, when I tested the original carbon steel prototype.

The Sting and Glamdring hero props did not have a polished finish like that, but they were more polished than the UC's MC versions.
Hi Kit, member of the FB page here. I had a few questions in regards to the design. To start, will the MC Anduril fit the current scabbard that's on the market? Second, is there a possibility to replace the gold inlays on the pommel and quillions with bronze like it is on the screen used prop?
Anar Nányë Andúril i né Narsil i macil Elendilo. Lercuvanten i móli Mordórëo. Isil

Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 am will the MC Anduril fit the current scabbard that's on the market?
That's the plan. It's shape will be made using the same blade die as the standard Anduril, so the profile will be the same. Hopefully the thickness tolerance will be within the window to fit the scabbards, but we have not gotten to that point yet.
Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 am is there a possibility to replace the gold inlays on the pommel and quillions with bronze like it is on the screen used prop?
The inlays on the standard UC Anduril were plated in gold to match the prop color an the MC inlays will be the same. If you were asking if it is possible to remove those and replace them after market, they are not designed to be removed.
KRDS

AlexMar wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:05 am Not sure if people will call me an idiot for having done this, but when I got my MC Glamdring it had white spots, rust spots, rusty fingerprints etc. So I polished the blade and I personally think it looks way better this way than it did with the original satin finish
Under those circumstances I would have done the same thing.
I think it looks great...good job! :thumbs_up
Last edited by Deimos on Mon May 31, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:06 pm
Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 am will the MC Anduril fit the current scabbard that's on the market?
That's the plan. It's shape will be made using the same blade die as the standard Anduril, so the profile will be the same. Hopefully the thickness tolerance will be within the window to fit the scabbards, but we have not gotten to that point yet.
Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 am is there a possibility to replace the gold inlays on the pommel and quillions with bronze like it is on the screen used prop?
The inlays on the standard UC Anduril were plated in gold to match the prop color an the MC inlays will be the same. If you were asking if it is possible to remove those and replace them after market, they are not designed to be removed.
I understand the decision made. I recently came across a bit of information from the Royal Armory in London that houses a version of Anduril made by Peter Lyon and he is quoted is saying the inlays are bronze. I completely understand if bronze inlays done by you all couldn't match the screen colors and I wouldn't dare to try and mess up work you've done to make these art pieces.
Anar Nányë Andúril i né Narsil i macil Elendilo. Lercuvanten i móli Mordórëo. Isil

Nasnandos wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi Kit,

With many of the major distributors of UC lotr blades taking pre-orders for the MC Anduril, will we by chance get any photos of the blade yet? As of now, most people are paying for a mockup design of the sword and I think we'd all like to see how it's going to actually look.

Well... MC Anduril is finally up for Pre-Order on BudK! $450US... Which seems quite reasonable. Taking into consideration no display case, but material and production cost going up since the original MC days. Does anyone recall the going price of MC Glamdring when they were released? Just for comparison?

I'm still 60/40 on this sword. It all depends on the final product to see if it's justifiable getting a THIRD Anduril haha.

Kit, if you have a moment, I asked Drew on FB:
"Been waiting almost 2 decades for this! Few questions:
- Besides the blade being carbon steel... is it also forged & tempered?
- is the handle construction more secure than the standard version?
- are the fittings silver plated like the first 2 MC’s?"

His reply:
"1. Not functional, just polished correctly and 1060.
2. It's the same construction.
3. Could be, waiting to find out."

If the blades are not forged and tempered, then why even go the Carbon Steel route? Is it better for the overall finish?
And, really hoping UC manages to pull off the silver plated furniture!! :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Yeah, I always thought calling the UC's MC swords "functional" a bit of a stretch. While the blades might stand up better to punishment because they are not just stainless steel, if the handle construction and the way they do the tangs is the same as the regular editions, then no, the MC sword is not functional at all.

I would really like to know the answer to your question: what is the point of just upgrading the blade to carbon steel and nothing else (even if the fuller will be more accurate)?
This Space for Rent

I remember the prototype sent to Kit was forged and tempered (in the hopes of making a fully functional Anduril). So my gut is telling me that these blades are tempered... and Drew doesn't have all the specifics yet....

Oh for sure, i also wouldn't call these MC's to be "battle ready". But it's always nice trying to get a sword as close to the real deal as possible. If the blade is functional, then i'm happy. The hilt constructions, though not peened, are still quite sturdy. The hilt parts not being steel i'm fine with, as i'm not sparring with it lol.
Last edited by Jash on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jash wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:15 pm Kit, if you have a moment, I asked Drew on FB:
"Been waiting almost 2 decades for this! Few questions:
- Besides the blade being carbon steel... is it also forged & tempered?
- is the handle construction more secure than the standard version?
- are the fittings silver plated like the first 2 MC’s?"

His reply:
"1. Not functional, just polished correctly and 1060.
2. It's the same construction.
3. Could be, waiting to find out."

If the blades are not forged and tempered, then why even go the Carbon Steel route? Is it better for the overall finish?
And, really hoping UC manages to pull off the silver plated furniture!! :)
This has all been discussed on the previous page, but the blades will be forged, hardened, and tempered.
KRDS

Thank you for the clarification! I figured they would be... just our conversations regarding this were 8 to 13 months ago... And I know a lot can change in that time. :)

But I'm very happy to hear that! I know we'll never get a fully functional Anduril... but at least this will be as good as, if not better, than the older MC releases!

Who's Pre-Ordered one so far? lol

Not sure, but hopefully sometime before Summer. I have not seen any sword parts yet. Just some photos of the a banner proto and a few display parts.

I think I mentioned earlier that I was surprised they leaked my concept art and were taking pre orders when this project had barely been started. They usually do that after the factory completes a first test sample. I think someone at UC may have mistakenly thought the UC1380 sample with the carbon steel test blade the factory made last year was the first sample of the MC Anduril, and assumed it was getting close to production.
KRDS

Jash wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:12 pm For my fellow Canadians:
Reliks now has these on Pre-Order as well.... for $739 CDN.
https://www.reliks.com/decorative-fanta ... ollection/

BudK is currently at $450 USD = roughly $575 CDN... (so my American friends can see our frustration lol).
That's super annoying, especially with the fact that there's generally very little money to go around for collectibles. Gas in the car and food on the table are taking up a hefty chunk with current inflation rates.

I'll try my luck with Castle Kon down the road even though I didn't pre-order one with him back when. Or Smithblades. Better to try my luck later than to lock myself into an increasingly expensive hobby. Just look at Weta's pricing of late.
This Space for Rent

Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:28 pm

I'm really curious to see the changes to the blade shape and rune design.
The blade shape is not being changed. It was correct on the original replica. The fuller is being made the correct length at the tip and the runes were tweaked to match one of the ROTK hero props.

I approved the guard and pommel finish last week, so the factory is making up a complete sword sample now.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:57 am
Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:28 pm

I'm really curious to see the changes to the blade shape and rune design.
The blade shape is not being changed. It was correct on the original replica. The fuller is being made the correct length at the tip and the runes were tweaked to match one of the ROTK hero props.

I approved the guard and pommel finish last week, so the factory is making up a complete sword sample now.
I was under the impression that the Shards of Narsil had the correct hollow grind shaping on the blade (mainly just the hilt since the rest of the shards were only presentable on one side). Looking forward to seeing updates on this piece regardless.

Good news! Drew Hall posted on the facebook photos of the MC Anduril prototype. It looks fantastic, the runes are the most impressive change so far. I'm curious on a few more edge details and if we can possibly get weathered versions, but this is promising so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cant wait for this. I asked Kit a while ago RE: hollow grinds on UC swords, he pointed out they do actually have them, just much more shallow due to machine limitations. I'd love to know if thats still the case, and if so why? surely a smaller contact when could be applied .... unless its down to cost/number of milling passes. If thats the case, I'm sure many of us would happily pay extra for a deeper hollow

Night_Owl_117 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:48 pm Good news! Drew Hall posted on the facebook photos of the MC Anduril prototype. It looks fantastic, the runes are the most impressive change so far. I'm curious on a few more edge details and if we can possibly get weathered versions, but this is promising so far.
The moon carving is really different from the one in the Limited Edition from early 2000´s. Mine even has that moon badly carved in one of the sides of the blade. Not buying the new model because I´m really happy with mine and very fond of it for sentimental reasons...

Well, I admit, those pictures do look good. I'm liking the higher polished look with the non-antiqued silver plating. I do like bling :)
As I was cleaning out the storage area, it made me think... I have:
- LE Shards.
- LE Anduril.
- Anduril.
- Custom "battle ready" Narsil.
- Just picked up a Noble LE Narsil.
...how many versions of this sword do I need...?!?

Jash wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:21 pm Well, I admit, those pictures do look good. I'm liking the higher polished look with the non-antiqued silver plating. I do like bling :)
As I was cleaning out the storage area, it made me think... I have:
- LE Shards.
- LE Anduril.
- Anduril.
- Custom "battle ready" Narsil.
- Just picked up a Noble LE Narsil.
...how many versions of this sword do I need...?!?
HAHA...Jash, you remind me of someone on a Woodworking forum that I'm on.
The guy was (of course) always buying tools..hand tools, power tools, add-ons for the tools, etc.
His wife with some exasperation asked him, "How many tools do you need?"
And he replied, "Why? Do you know someone who is selling theirs?"

Jamie Shakespeare wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:01 am Kit - once we finally receive this new Anduril, I'd like to remove the leather and replace it with a wet-wrapped veg tan piece. before I do, I wanted to ask what does the metal handle underneath look like? are the cord ridges distinct from the lower portions, or does it just flow high/low/high? A picture would be the ideal way to explain I guess, if you have one.

Many thanks!
All the UC cord-ridged LOTR grips have distinct ridges with hard corners where they meet the grip. I designed them that way because I wanted the leather to have a tight fitting wet-wrapped look, like the props. I tested soaking the leather sleeves and heat drying them to shrink fit to the grips. It worked OK in testing, but never worked out in production, so it was abandoned.

If you do a real wet wrap, you can make it look exactly like the props, but you may want to fill in that stitch groove on the back because it will shrink into the groove.
KRDS

Kit - thank you so much for this. This is wonderful news! Yes, I'll fill the stitch groove (I did that on the plastic core of the Sting scabbard before I wet wrapped that, so it shouldn't be an issue)

Completely understand the limitations in the production version - I've had an Anduril on my wall for near 20 years now and loved it, but with the new one coming I feel its a prime chance for me to tweak ;)
IMG_2030.jpg

Deimos wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:52 am HAHA...Jash, you remind me of someone on a Woodworking forum that I'm on.
The guy was (of course) always buying tools..hand tools, power tools, add-ons for the tools, etc.
His wife with some exasperation asked him, "How many tools do you need?"
And he replied, "Why? Do you know someone who is selling theirs?"
Hahah, that literally made me "laugh out loud"!
Think I'm going to steal that line :)

Just realized this thread is over 3 years old now lol. According to BudK's website the "updated" release date is June 2024. Sadly I have other sword projects in the works this year... but I am still looking forward to picking this one up! Interested to see how the newest prototype hilt parts look.

Curious - who has pre-ordered one so far? :)

Jash wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:00 am Just realized this thread is over 3 years old now lol. According to BudK's website the "updated" release date is June 2024. Sadly I have other sword projects in the works this year... but I am still looking forward to picking this one up! Interested to see how the newest prototype hilt parts look.

Curious - who has pre-ordered one so far? :)
My wife was kind enough to pre-order one for me as a birthday present.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”