Re: Pure Star Trek Discussion

I hate these box sets because they almost never contain the best version of all the included movies. Case in point: TMP.

Release the box, if you will, but also the movies individually so we can pick and choose but I guess if they did that, sales of the box would plummet. I guess it's their way around to eventually selling less popular entries like Final Frontier and Insurrection, which would likely not fare well on a solo basis.

Any word on whether the Wrath of Khan in this box is the slightly longer version with a few extra bits, like the dialogue that explains who Peter Preston actually is?
This Space for Rent

Olorin wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:03 pm They haven’t done the restoration of the directors cut of the motion picture yet. That’s why it’s not included. It’s projected to be eight months out.
I hear ya, but what's the rush to get this box set out then? It's not like people that want these movies don't already own them. I'll bet 99% of them would be willing to wait a few more months to get the set with the restored TMP included. Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

Oh well.
This Space for Rent

Fortunately I am among those still in the 2K era. My TV was the best TV available 11 years ago when I got it, and it is still perfect. For as much as it cost, I want to get every ounce of service out of it that I can. Also, with my viewing distance (14 feet), and screen size that I can conceivable afford is not going to be big enough for me to tell the difference between 4K and 2K. The only difference I might notice would be in the extra colors. So, while I also scratch my head at their decision not to release the 4Ks individually, it's not crimping my plans here. I already have the remastered BD of Khan and I'm going to wait on TMP, so I will just pick up III and IV.

I'll be very interested to see how good the remastering is. I got the BD of Khan a few years ago based on reviews, and it did indeed look great. But I never bought any of the other non-remastered TOS movies because the DVDs looked atrocious, so I figured the BDs would too. So, it's a bit of a surprise that I will finally start getting these movies in a better format. I just hope they did as good a job with remastered as they did with Khan.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:55 am Fortunately I am among those still in the 2K era. My TV was the best TV available 11 years ago when I got it, and it is still perfect. For as much as it cost, I want to get every ounce of service out of it that I can. Also, with my viewing distance (14 feet), and screen size that I can conceivable afford is not going to be big enough for me to tell the difference between 4K and 2K. The only difference I might notice would be in the extra colors. So, while I also scratch my head at their decision not to release the 4Ks individually, it's not crimping my plans here. I already have the remastered BD of Khan and I'm going to wait on TMP, so I will just pick up III and IV.

I'll be very interested to see how good the remastering is. I got the BD of Khan a few years ago based on reviews, and it did indeed look great. But I never bought any of the other non-remastered TOS movies because the DVDs looked atrocious, so I figured the BDs would too. So, it's a bit of a surprise that I will finally start getting these movies in a better format. I just hope they did as good a job with remastered as they did with Khan.
I bought my 40 inch Sony-baloney Bravia 720p back in 2007.
I remember saying at the time that I would not buy a flat panel TV until the price for a 40-42" dropped below $1000.
So I know I paid less than $1000 but more that $500. It's the only TV I have.
40 inch 720p at 12 feet still works fine for me.

Wasn't there something about the WoK movie (can't recall if it had to do with the DVD or BD version) such that it had to be re-issued?
And someone mentioned something about making certain you got the corrected version; that version having the barcode hi-lited in yellow?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I had forgotten all about that, but yeah, the colors were off or something. Seriously, why can't they find these problems before they ship a jillion copies to retailers? In any case, my BD with is bright yellow UPC is in my movie rack.

My Panasonic plasma was quite pricey. I think with tax I paid $3800. But it continues to serve me well. Because I paid so much for it, I like to say that I'm not buying another TV until it's the size of a deck of cards and fills my entire living room with a holographic image. Seriously, I hope it holds out till we get to the next iteration of TV technology. I'm leery of OLED because it suffers from both soap opera effect and burn-in, making it a worst of both worlds hybrid of LCD and plasma.

The main issue with the BD TWOK was that repeated 2-second clip of Sulu looking over his shoulder during the opening sequence. Yellow UPC = good, White UPC = bad.

I'm not as shy as you guys about keeping pace with technology, especially when it comes to TVs and how stunning movies can look nowadays. I bought my QLED 4K 75" Samsung a couple of years ago and have not regretted a single dollar of the $6000 price. I don't think I'll dip into 8K as I think the law of diminishing returns is really coming into play there, but the leap from 2K to 4K was very noticeable for me, especially when going to a larger screen, which is where the differences and improvements become appreciable. That, and I cannot say enough good things about HDR.

I hadn't heard of any burn-in issues with OLEDs. Are you sure about that? That's nearly impossible with the tech they use today and was far more prevalent back in the days of CRT and also Plasma sets were extremely prone to it (I'm glad you got a good one as that does not seem to be an issue for you). It's actually not as common as some think and a set has to be on for hours on end displaying the same type of image before this ever becomes a problem. Noted examples are screens that constantly display news feeds with all the window lines and live news tickers at the bottom, or TVs in sports bars showing football all day where the field lines are usually in the same position.

As for the soap-opera effect, that comes down to settings. No TV is stuck in that mode, and new sets offer more options than you can shake a stick at. They just look that way at the store display because they're meant to show the clearest image possible to make people notice.
This Space for Rent

On OLED burn-in, yes I'm sure: https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-entertai ... w-in-2021/

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to disparage anyone who made the jump to 4K. It's just that with my viewing distance, I'm not going to be able to see the difference in clarity, and as for the expanded color palette, with so many directors chose to desaturate the colors in their movies, it offers little allure. I will get a different TV someday. But just like with physical media, I like to be able to skip a generation occasionally. I still have a few things on Laserdisc, LOL, though I would replace them if I could. Unfortunately, Van Morrison has never released his 1990 concert video on DVD or anything subsequent, for example.

I definitely want to make the jump to 4k, but the TV in my living room is only 2 years old... as a single guy living alone, I have 5 TVs in my house already. I guess I could replace the 32 inch TV in my bedroom with the 50 inch TV from the living room....

I would love to have a bigger TV in my living room, but I have mine mounted above the fireplace/mantel and 50 inch is the biggest tv I can put there and still be able to lower it/raise it over the mantel.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I was browsing Youtube for some woodworking videos, and for some reason (word association algorithm, I guess) I got a hit showing the [almost] final scene of The Changeling (TOS), where Kirk uses "impeccable" logic to force the probe to self destruct.
I forgot how good many of the TOS episodes could be, and that was one of the good ones.
There were also some utterly forgettable ones as well; the majority of the third season shows were mediocre at best.
But most of the first season episodes and at least half of the second season episodes were very good.

I grew up watching it (I was in middle school) and was rabid about it.
But I never watched any of the TV spinoffs... (I still haven't watched any) partly because I was in the Navy at the time (6 years) and I had other interests by then (school and scuba diving). The dorms (aka "barracks") had a TV in the lounge, but most of the people (men) wanted to watch sports.
You could buy your own TV for your room, but I preferred spending my meagre paycheck on diving gear.
Some good friends tried to convince me to watch Next Gen, but by then I had lost all interest in watching any TV.
I still don't watch it....only movies that I own or buy.
I did see three of the movies (all with the original cast and at the theatre) Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and Voyage Home (w/ the "nuclear wessels"), but that was with friends who were still very dedicated fans of the Star Trek universe.
Last edited by Deimos on Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olorin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:39 pm If you only saw 3 of the movies, at least you saw the three best, and which function as a trilogy. :thumbs_up
If I remember rightly, I pretty much enjoyed all three.
Funny thing, tho'... "I have no memory" of anything about the Search for Spock. Zip. Nada. A total blank.
I remember the Voyage Home because of Chekov running around SF (?) asking about "nuclear wessels" and other humorous lines by various characters. As mentioned in another thread/topic I thought TWoK was a great movie and the only one I would consider buying (with the Yellow barcode :D )

A sailor I was dating while in the Navy (in Hawaii) was crazy about B-G. But he was also my diving partner which was the one reason I agreed to watch B-G with him. (No dive partner, no dive.) But I have no memory of that show at all, except that it was referred to as "Bonanza in Space"....wonder why.... :rolleye: (You have to be of a certain [old] age to understand that.)
We did see the premier of Star Wars at the time (1977? 1978?) which I liked; we must have gone to at least a dozen repeated showings.
Also Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which I still think is one of the best SF dramas ever made. I saw repeated showings of that one too.

RIP to Sally Kellerman, best known to the world at large for playing "Hot Lips" in the original M*A*S*H movie but best known to me for playing Dr. Elizabeth Dehner in "Where No Man Has Gone Before," Star Trek's second pilot.

I've never seen the M*A*S*H movie but I've had it in my HBO Max watch queue for a few weeks, and will be watching it relatively soon.

I didn't know that.
I saw WNMHGB long before I saw M*A*S*H (which I never saw at the the theatre, only on VHS)so I never made the association.
Hate to say it but Shatner's ticket is going to be punched soon.

So, the Digital Bits is saying that it will be announced any day now that the long-awaited 4K restoration of the Director's Cut of ST:TMP will begin streaming on Paramount+ on 5 April. They further state that although no physical release has been mooted yet, it is likely to occur and most probably would occur around Christmas, to cash in on not only Christmas but also the fact the the film debuted theatrically in December (1979). Lastly, this would allow of a nice long window of streaming exclusivity.

I'm pretty psyched for this. It has taken so long to get here, and the DVD of the DC looks so bad, that I just really want to see (and have) this movie. The fact that it is actually not all that good of a movie doesn't really enter into my calculations. That's the power of something being teased in a better form but long not delivered. It's not really something you have to have, but after hearing about it so long, you just have to have it.

That's very good news.

Been waiting for this a long time so I will continue to wait a bit longer and avoid the streaming version. The image quality can never rival that of a physical copy due to compression issues and bandwidth limitations. The only versions I have of all pre-Abrams Trek movies are on DVD, barring the Khan Director's Cut on Bluray from a couple of years ago. I skipped most of the BD releases because they were not the optimum cuts of the films in most cases, and Paramount kept trying to put the least amount of effort into anything they did. Yes, I know the world is moving to digital format only, but c'mon... there's still a healthy market out there for videophiles.

As for the movie itself, STTMP has always been a flick that I've liked since I first watched in the theatre as a kid. The cold open with the Klingon cruisers attacking; seeing the refit Enterprise; the horrifying transporter incident; the sheer alien-ness, mystery, and size of V'ger... all things that became indelible moments of nostalgia for me. As such, I tend to view it more kindly than many other Trek fans, has risen even more in appreciation for me with time and improved cuts, and stands head and shoulders above utter crap like Into Darkness, or boring dreck like Insurrection or Beyond.
This Space for Rent

Until somewhat recently I had only the TNG 4-movie box and the ST II director's cut on BD. With the recent restorations for 4K, I picked up the new BDs for III and IV. So at this point, all I still have on DVD are V and VI. I really hope when those two are redone for 4K that they use the slightly longer version of VI...though I'd like to see them prune Worf's line "this is not Klingon blood." The whole pepto bismol blood thing is still silly and as has been said, that was the first, last, and only time that Klingon blood was ever anything but red. The reason they went with pink was that Nick Meyer wanted so much blood that if it had looked like blood, the movie would've been rated R. I know, removing Worf's line would not turn the blood red, but it just really reminds you of it at a point in the movie when you've forgotten about it. I know it's too much to hope that they would adjust the color in the earlier scene to make the blood red. Studios are usually not too worried about things that might change the rating on a home release, and if they are, the just call it unrated. However, I know there's no way NM would authorize that unless he's had a change of heart. All in all, a little thing I suppose, but one that irks me.

You make a lot of good points about the first movie. In a lot of ways, it had a lot going for it and looked very impressive on the screen. It wasn't until later, when the subsequent movies started coming out, that it started to suffer for me. Actually, my main recollection of seeing it the first time are not of the movie itself but rather of other circumstances. The friend who went with me had drunk a big soda and started needing to pee just before the movie started but didn't get up and go before it started because he was afraid of missing any of it. So, he sat and suffered through a movie that was long even in the theatrical cut. Once it was over, there was the inevitable line in the restroom, and when it was finally his turn, he got performance anxiety and couldn't go. We ended up stopping along a dark and deserted stretch of highway on the trip home so he could give a cornfield a thorough watering. :O

Just a day later, here are all the juicy details. https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek ... st-contact

This confirms it will get a physical release and that will be out in September, which is even better than waiting until Christmas. It also mentioned it’ll get a limited theatrical release via fathom events in May, tho I don’t know if you’ll get that up in Vancouver. This strikes me as the sort of thing where somebody feels the need to arbitrarily remind Canadians that they are in a different country.

Anyway, I watched the trailer for it on my phone, and it looks so much better than it ever has before. It may look as good as the newest Star Trek movies.

So, I just finished watching it and it definitely looked much improved. I'm sure it will look even better on disc this fall. I then popped in the DVD for a quick comparison and yes, the DVD looked dreadful. I never bought the BluRay because they did no restoration for it and it was the theatrical cut anyway.

I noticed something very curious. I remember that one of the reasons given way back in the day of why the extended version would never be on widescreen format was because of the scene where Kirk leaves the airlock in his EV suit to go fetch Spock. The scene was cut during the original edit of the movie prior to its theatrical release and so the matte paintings that were going to be used to extend the image to either site of the very small built airlock set were never done. At the time of the DVD release, Paramount was unwilling to cough up the money to do anything extra to put the long version on DVD and so prior to 2001, the long version existed only on VHS. 2001 rolls around, and the original director's cut is released on DVD to great acclaim.

And now, the remastered version is released to even greater acclaim. And when I finished watching it, I thought, hey, did I miss that airlock scene? I scanned back and it simply isn't there. The first you see of Kirk, he is already floating out away from the ship. I thought, seriously? They spent all this money on this new upgrade, and they simply cut that scene? Or am I misremembering....was it in the 2001 DVD? And the answer is, no, it is not in the 2001 DVD, either.

DId I imagine ever seeing this? Was it only ever on the pan and scan VHS? Or did I only see a production still in a magazine way back in the day?

And here, I suppose, is the answer: https://www.spoilerfreemoviesleuth.com/ ... ns-of.html

So, I did not imagine having seen it...and I never noted its absence from the 2001 edition. Oh well, 21 years is quick enough to catch something, right?

But getting back to the new cut, it's very evident that this edition, like the 2001 edition, was compiled by people with reverence for the fans' sensitivities and physical models over CGI. If George Lucas had done this, there would have been wholesale replacement of physical effects with CGI. But like the 2001 version, CGI was used only where necessary and in a manner to be consistent with the original look of the film. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if they had replaced that very 1970s-era engine imbalance wormhole look with something better, and they definitely should've updated the look of Jupiter and its moons to better match when we've seen from Galileo and Juno. Oh well.

Interestingly, the CGI shots introducing San Francisco and Starfleet Headquarters have been subtly tweaked, mostly but not exclusively for brightness and clarity. In the long shot looking across the bridge toward the city, the surface of the water is not moving in either the 2001 or 2022 versions (lazy, guys). In the scene where the shuttle zooms across the water toward Starfleet, at least the new edition puts the water into motion. Lastly, they tweaked the roadbed of the Golden Gate bridge a bit. It's not full-on solar panels like it was in Season 1 of Picard, but it is subtly different from what it was in the 2001 version.

Well, those are my brief thoughts on the new version.

The Digital Bits is reporting that an announcement from Paramount appears imminent for the TOS movies in 4K and remastered BluRay, both as individual releases and as a box set.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 62222-0830

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 62122-1445

Expected September 6.

If this is legit, that 6-movie box will be a Day One buy for me.

Oh dude... you just made my day with these news! :cheering:

I've been waiting for brand new 4K transfers of all six of these movies for what feels like an eternity now (in reality only 2.5 years), but I've been dying to do a ST movie marathon lately, and I can't bring myself to watch my old DVD copies on my 4K tv The only one I even have on Bluray is the TWOK version that came out recently.

I'm really surprised they've announced this before the 4K director's cut of STTMP with the redone effects has been released. Typically, they go for the ol' double-dip, but I guess it's not clear yet which version of TMP will be in this second release. I think they would be stupid not to include the same one, or even multiple versions of that movie, of which there are a few. Mainly though, I hope that TWOK is the director's cut. If they are doing it for Undiscovered Country, I see no reason why they would ignore TWOK and give us only the theatrical version again. Come to think of it, has there ever been any word or rumour of a different or longer version of ST3, 4, and 5? If any movie deserves to be rescued by what they did with TMP this year, it would be Final Frontier, but I think that ship has sailed long ago on that opportunity.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:23 pm If any movie deserves to be rescued by what they did with TMP this year, it would Final Frontier, but I think that ship has sailed long ago on that opportunity.
Agreed. There are many things I love, and hate about that movie. I would love to see what the original cut would have looked like but it's highly unlikely that will ever happen now.
KRDS

For years, I was the "voice crying in the wilderness," defending Star Trek V. Sure, it is the weakest of the original cast movies. The story is improbable (you know they are not going to find God, and if they did, he would not be imprisoned) and the effects are cheesy, and don't get us started on the continuity errors. But the relationship between the Big Three was never better portrayed in a movie.

As to the cuts, the leaked artwork posted by the Digital Bits states theatrical and directors' cuts for II and VI. Bill Hunt has queried Paramount for details, and they are remaining mum. He says if he asks about details that are wrong, they are usually quick to correct the error. As to TMP, if it is only the Director's Cut, that is fine with me. I would never watch the theatrical version anyway. Without the theatrical cut's omission of the threat of blowing the Enterprise's antimatter supply, Kirk's gamble seems only that, a gamble that paid off bigtime for reasons that could never have been foreseen. I mean, it would be good to include the theatrical cut for "posterity," because as collector's we are slaves to our in-house posterity as though we were curating the Library of Congress. But if I can get only one cut of each of these, it would be the director's cut.

There's never been so much as a whisper of an alternate cut of 3, 4, or 5. There was a scene planned for 4 wherein Sulu meets his GG-grandfather, or however many Gs it works out to, who is a child in San Francisco, but they never managed to get the scene filmed. The child was fidgety and uncooperative and eventually they lost daylight, and that was that. I think that was a real loss, as that would have been a very cool scene.

I have scarcely watched any of these movies in years because the DVDs looked so bad on my big TV. I never bought the 6-movie BD box that came out a number of years ago, because nothing was restored. More recently, I've watched II of course, because I got the restored BD of it that came out a few years ago, and I watched TMP on Paramount+ in April. I also recently broke down and bought the remastered BDs of 3 and 4 because they were really cheap, so I've seen each of them once recently. And I watched VI in December because it was its 30th anniversary.But other than that, I probably had not watched any of them since I got the BDs eons ago.

I'm surprised too, if there is not a double-dip. But in a way there was already, because they did a 4K box sometime back with just the theatrical cut of TMP plus 2, 3, and 4. No 5 or 6, so those won't be double-dipped in this putative new 6-movie box.

Paramount still has not made their press release, although more retailers are adding listings and included cover art. For example, Target now has listings for II though V, though not yet I or VI (at least as of when I checked this morning).

Although I am confident these movies are coming out, overall I am very discouraged on the physical media front. Currently I am wrapping up watching "The Gilded Age" on HBO Max and liking it very much, so I checked to see when the disc is coming out. Well, it is being released in late July...on DVD only. Why, Warner, why? This is especially discouraging, as Warner has long been one of the biggest supporters of physical media. Unfortunately now it appears they may be joining the growing trend of skipping the BluRay. I don't know that studios have given any justification for this other than a lame "they don't sell as well." Well, eliminate the unnecessary price differential and they will! I imagine it's just another stepping stone on the road to streaming-only, one which will let those who won't stream still have a physical copy and punish those of us who want the best specs by making it streaming only.

Ironically, they are releasing it on Bluray in the UK. No word yet on whether it will be region-locked. I have a number of titles on UK or Australian BDs that were not region-locked.

The news we’ve been waiting for:

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 70622-0830

Unless I’m missing something, the Special Longer Version of TMP will only be available in the standalone ST:TMP Complete Adventure box and not in the single movie version OR the 6-movie version. So if you want that, you have to buy an extra box set that is almost as expensive as the 6-movie box. So, they found a way to double dip at the same time as the first release! At least it comes with a little bling.

II and VI will each apparently include both cuts.

So, there it is. Prepare to open your wallets!

Ugh... why do they always have to make things so complicated? As detailed as that article is, I'm still left confused at which of these different versions is the right one for me.

I want all six movies in four 4K, so I get that there's only one option for that. Great.

But when it comes to TMP, what exactly am I *not* getting with the six-movie set? Seems like it's this special longer cut, but what exactly does that mean? Is this some previously unreleased cut of the movie? What does it add?

Basically, here's what I want out of my version of TMP:

- 4K transfer
- Director's Cut
- All the new, redone effects that they've been showing this year as part of the new restoration of the movie

Which of the releases coming out has all that?
This Space for Rent

If you get the six movie box, it will have what you want for the motion picture. The special longer version is the version that was first created to show on TV in 1983, and it’s the version I had on VHS years ago. It’s basically the directors cut except a little bit longer. Somewhere online is a summary of all the extra scenes in it. I think I might’ve posted the link to that a couple of months ago when the directors cut aired on Paramount plus.

Thank you. that was very helpful.

I'm glad I'll only have to rebuy TMP once then, and it will be aforementioned six-movie set. I do recall the longer, made-for-tv version, but other than the Spock crying for Vger scene, the rest seems like no big loss. Funnily, I always thought that scene was part of the theatrical cut of the movie, but clearly memory is playing tricks on me since the TV version is the one I've seen most often so it follows that I would confuse that.
This Space for Rent

Yes, it’s going to be interesting for me to see the special longer version again after so long. Not that I watch this movie a lot in any form, but certainly since 2001 I would’ve only seen the director’s cut, as that’s when it came out on DVD.

And yes, that means I’m buying both boxes. It irks me no end the Paramount did it like this, when they could’ve easily included the special longer version in with the six movie box. I mean, in the motion picture edition that they’re calling the complete adventure, they have the special longer version and theatrical cut on the same disc with seamless branching. There’s no reason why they could not have included that disc in the six movie box. Since I feel like I need to have all the versions of the movie, plus the motion picture complete adventure does come in a pretty nice setup, so, get it I shall. It’s not like I’m putting kids through college or anything, so I guess I can get it.

It is assumed that they will be releasing the four next generation movies in a 4K box next year. I wonder what sort of extras they are cooking up for that, and if they will single out one movie for a special treatment like they did the motion picture in the old cast movies? I kind of doubt it for some reason. I think they’re just going to pump out the movies in 4K, with legacy bonus features, and that will be that

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”