Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

That's going to excite a lot of people!

Kit, will it still have those stars on the blade? I don't think those were on the original prop and I'm not sure why UC added them, or am I wrong? I could understand a star on Anarion's blade to represent Anor, the sun, but if anything should be engraved on Isildur's sword, it would be Ithil, the moon.

If this is a go, I think I will sell my original one while I still can make a profit on it. After years of the weight of the blade pulling on the cross guard as the sword hangs on its plaque, it has loosened up a bit and developed a slight wiggle that annoys the crap out of me any time I take the sword down. I don't suppose there's any quick and dirty fix for something like that? No way I'm even going to try and take it apart.
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:05 am It looks like UC is considering reissuing the Isildur sword. That's one of the few LOTR swords that only had one run. It was the first sword made in their China sword factory also, so it never really matched the rest of the line. The blade was polished too much and they botched up the grip. If it happens, I'm going to see if I can get those things improved.
Mine is riddled with QC issues, tilted hilt, bent pommel, tree in pommel misaligned, grind marks on the blade. With it being so limited I was still glad to have one.

Would love to see an improved version. I had also noticed that the fuller should go up further into the etched design. I also did not see the 3 stars on the Weta prop either.
isildur.jpg
It really seems that they are trying to systematically re-release everything from the LOTR line, which is great for new collectors. I just want new stuff as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm feeling a bit flustered and not sure where else to put this but it looks like the UK laws are changing again and it could mean that along with the ban on curved swords, even owning any curved swords bought before the ban was introduced is going to be an offence. The usual defences still apply though.

Currently, if you own a curved sword made from stainless steel it's not a crime, but you can't buy new ones unless they're handforged, etc - you've all heard me whine about it multiple times.

But this new law change, if it goes ahead later this year, would mean that I could potentially end up with a 4 year prison sentence for owning the swords if I was ever caught with them. The UK government had run a short armistice programme where you could claim compensation but I only became aware of it today but that armistice ended on the 9th March. So I would potentially have to surrender almost £1000 worth of swords and receive no compensation.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Great news on the sword of Isildur reissue but I really hope it comes with addressing the previous qc issues otherwise it may have to be a pass for me unfortunately. And of course if it can be made more accurate, even better.
Lindir wrote: I'm feeling a bit flustered and not sure where else to put this but it looks like the UK laws are changing again and it could mean that along with the ban on curved swords, even owning any curved swords bought before the ban was introduced is going to be an offence. The usual defences still apply though.

Currently, if you own a curved sword made from stainless steel it's not a crime, but you can't buy new ones unless they're handforged, etc - you've all heard me whine about it multiple times.

But this new law change, if it goes ahead later this year, would mean that I could potentially end up with a 4 year prison sentence for owning the swords if I was ever caught with them. The UK government had run a short armistice programme where you could claim compensation but I only became aware of it today but that armistice ended on the 9th March. So I would potentially have to surrender almost £1000 worth of swords and receive no compensation.
This sounds like some of the most contrived nonsense I've ever heard. Are swords an actual problem in the UK??? Sorry you have to deal with this garbage, Lindir. I know it's easy for me to say but don't surrender anything. I live in California and have various firearm accessories that are considered "illegal" by our governmental nannies over here but I won't give them up to anybody. You just have to be smart and careful about it.
Last edited by Ronin on Tue May 18, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nasnandos wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:40 am It won't be braided leather, that's for sure. Not for a production sword. It will likely be the same grip tooling, but I just want to improve the way it looks, and possibly change to a harder material. The grip on the one I got from production looked like a cheap Hong Kong toy from the 1970s.

The color was not right and the dark paint wash they applied in production was terrible. I think they can do a far better job now.
Happy to hear about the idea of continuing the Isildur sword run. I know there are a lot of people out there who will be thrilled to get one at a reasonable price. Hopefully a second shot at it will help address the QC issues as others have stated. Shame to hear about braided leather being an impossibility though-that material on the grip annoyed me so much I think it was one of the primary reasons I sold mine a few years back 😂

Still holding onto the hope that if some of these more minor characters and obscure weapons sell that we will one day see Denethor’s sword made. Criminal that it didn’t get more screen time in the movie.

Ronin, no they aren't.

There's the odd crime committed with them here and there but they're very rare. I remember when I was younger, and this was just prior to me joining up with this forum and starting my sword collection, a woman not far away from where I lived at that time was stabbed with a katana and then run over in a car. It's a horrific incident.

Our government always seems very reactionary in its response to weapons, banning things like butterfly knives and throwing stars simply because of how they were talked about in the press. It's pretty hard to kill someone with a throwing star.

Butterfly knives were banned not because of the crimes they were used in, but because people were cutting themselves Doing tricks with them.

We're not allowed any form of truncheon or baton in the UK either. They're pretty stupid laws most of them and there's no distinction between political parties on the issue - they all want weapons banned.

The ban on curved stainless wall hangers flooded the market with straightened Katanas which people continued to buy. It didn't solve anything and it ended up making ugly ass swords.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:25 am That's a photo the factory shot of their first prototype. I don't have it yet, but the manufacturing cost ended up being a lot higher than expected. I'm not 100% sure United it is still going forward.
That would be tragic. :( I really hope UC follows through on this piece.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:25 am That's a photo the factory shot of their first prototype. I don't have it yet, but the manufacturing cost ended up being a lot higher than expected. I'm not 100% sure United it is still going forward.
Well, that's a shame. I would have figured it would cost less than say Eomer's helm. But they may be trying for a lower price point than that, somewhere closer to the swords MSRP.

Yeah, the world has gone topsy-turvy. I remember not that long ago the cost of metal was affecting things; then it became the rising costs of fuel which affected shipping; now (or at least for Canada) it's the cost of lumber that has gone into the realm of pure insanity. Increases have been in the 300%+ range. It's affected everything, from home construction, to putting up a simple fence board or two. xP
This Space for Rent

Lumber is nutty high here in the US too. The materials cost to build a new home in my area is about 30% up over last year. I think it's mostly due to the increased fuel costs to move things around.

Sales don't seem to have slowed in my industry, but I imagine it is going to be extremely difficult for my clients to plan product development over the next year when a few months after they start development on something new the raw materials costs go up so much there is no way to keep the selling price where they thought it would work. Especially when that is happening every few months. I have one client who has basically decided to hold off developing any new products this year.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:16 am Yeah, the world has gone topsy-turvy. I remember not that long ago the cost of metal was affecting things; then it became the rising costs of fuel which affected shipping; now (or at least for Canada) it's the cost of lumber that has gone into the realm of pure insanity. Increases have been in the 300%+ range. It's affected everything, from home construction, to putting up a simple fence board or two. xP

Lumber/timber prices finally coming down....just in time (actually a little early but that is OK) for my upcoming woodworking class. :btr:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Valkrist wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:51 am Can you carve me a Bilbo in Bag End for $130 instead of me paying Weta $1300 then? :crazy:
Sure.. no problem (as the youngsters say).
But you might have to squint a little so as to overlook the maybe, sort of, not quite accurate representation. :rolleye:

TMcLim wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:31 pm Hi Kit are there any plans to re-release Gimli's battle axe and walking axe?
I have not heard anything about a new run of the battle axes. UC discussed making another run of walking axes last month, but it looks like the original casting molds, which were very worn, are now broken. It's too expensive to retool for the small run that they would need to make, so I think that one is now officially closed.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:49 pm
TMcLim wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:31 pm Hi Kit are there any plans to re-release Gimli's battle axe and walking axe?
I have not heard anything about a new run of the battle axes. UC discussed making another run of walking axes last month, but it looks like the original casting molds, which were very worn, are now broken. It's too expensive to retool for the small run that they would need to make, so I think that one is now officially closed.
When it was first announced that they were going to reissue Isildur's sword it was up on Budk's website, but now is gone. Is there a issue with the molds for that as well? MC Sam's sword is also back on their site too.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:26 am All I see is the standard Sword of Sam on their site. That MC version sold out the year it was released, long ago.
I should have clarified. it is BudK's wholesale site and not the retail site that has these listed. They also have both Glamdring and Sting scabbards, Narsil, Witchking sword, Isildur's helm and both Gondorian shields (wood and polyresin) but only a few have actual dates on estimated arrivals and not yet able to order.

This is usually a good indicator of what items are coming or reissued. I was just curious as some items are showing up, while others are disappearing. With increased material costs and supply issues still ongoing I was wondering how many items this may effect.

Ah, I see. There cant be more wood Gondor shields coming as those sold out, but I know another run of the poly version is being made. I think I mentioned all those other items you listed here already. I'm curious to see how many of those will actually be made. Prices have been going crazy since January. I know it is driving the factories crazy. They lock in a price and a month or two later they have to go up, and I'm not talking a few cents. Major increases. Several projects I am working on have been cancelled because the increases made the projects too risky.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:49 pm
That is unfortunate, I guess the hunt for that one will continue! They seem to have gotten quite rare. That is great that the Gondorian shield is finishing its run, although I would have prefered the wood version.

JJByers wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:14 am On the bright side Andy at MansionProps will, well, is, working on both throwing axes. Hopes to do them in steel as well. So those who have wanted the full set of axes will now have that option.
JJ...do you have a link to Mansion Props and specifically to the Throwing Axes?
I went to the FB page and scrolled through all the photos.
I see that he has a Rohan axe (or two) which looks very good. (Is that for sale or only in production or a bespoke job?)
But I didn't see any Dwarven axes

Deimos wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:17 am
JJByers wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:14 am On the bright side Andy at MansionProps will, well, is, working on both throwing axes. Hopes to do them in steel as well. So those who have wanted the full set of axes will now have that option.
JJ...do you have a link to Mansion Props and specifically to the Throwing Axes?
I went to the FB page and scrolled through all the photos.
I see that he has a Rohan axe (or two) which looks very good. (Is that for sale or only in production or a bespoke job?)
But I didn't see any Dwarven axes
You'll need to follow his FB and IG. He posts 3d models and renderings to the story but they go after 24 hrs. I had mentioned to him I was done collecting unless someone came out with some good dwarven stuff and he let me know he was working in them.

JJByers wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 am ....

You'll need to follow his FB and IG. He posts 3d models and renderings to the story but they go after 24 hrs. I had mentioned to him I was done collecting unless someone came out with some good dwarven stuff and he let me know he was working in them.
OK. THanks. What do you think of his Rohan Axe(s)?

Deimos wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:34 am
JJByers wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:56 am ....

OK. THanks. What do you think of his Rohan Axe(s)?
I dont have them. Losnekos on IG has one. The attention to detail is spot on. Looks good to me.

Drew from UC posted this on FB (for those that don't have it):

"I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys are most excited about in the upcoming [New] United Cutlery LOTR projects.

1 - MC Anduril
2 - Boromir's Dagger
3 - Theoden Helm
4 - Guthwine Scabbard
5 - Rohan Axe
6 - Rohan Spear Head
7 - Theodred Sword
8 - Sauron Helm 1/2 Scale"

I think we've talked about all of these here already. The only one that I didn't recall was the Rohan Axe. I think most of you know which one got my vote :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

A 1/2 scale Sauron helm? Who asked for that? There's a few 1:1 helms I'd rather see them take a crack at first before going back to what would now be the third release of the same helm, and at a scale that matches nothing else UC has put out in the past. That's a head-scratcher to me.

Kit, care to shed some light on us in-the-dark peasants? And like N2, I'd like to know if your idea for the blue Sting was met with deafening silence, rousing cheers, or an indifferent shrug.
This Space for Rent

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”