Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

N2darkness wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:56 pm
Ronin wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:52 pm I can't believe Gollum got as low as $539. I might've taken a shot at him but like I said in the other forum, I wasn't aware of the auctioning system they sometimes use.

I thought I was subscribed to their newsletter but I didn't receive anything. That's a good reminder, Val. I should sign up again just in case.
I got one of the Gollums at the $539 and also paid with Paypal. The website froze up at the final confirmation screen, but finally went through. I think that is only the 2nd time I've paid that way. And yes just like Val said Weta's website is horrible and really can't hand large volumes very well.
That's awesome, great score!!! It seems like a sale that good comes along once in a blue moon. It's a great looking statue.

Managed to get Balin’s mace for £64 ish with VAT and shipping from the EU warehouse. Excited to receive it along with Llane’s ring.

Congrats everyone on their purchases and good luck to those still shopping!

Hope you enjoy the staff Ronin!
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Thanks Ronin!

I’m looking forward to receiving it. I would have preferred UC to make a version of it in the real world scale but unfortunately I doubt they ever will. It’s the most unique Dwarvish weapon which is why I’m breaking my elf only rule.

I can’t deny I was tempted to pick up Dwalin’s axes just mainly in case one day I wanted them but they do look cheap in photos and videos I’ve seen. Balin’s mace on the other hand looks really good - not real material good - but good enough for my collection.

The mace is not bad at all. Yeah it doesn't have the weighty feel of a UC prop but the paint job is nice enough and for $50, I think you paid the right value for it.

The axes are a different story. The paint job is nothing extraordinary and the prop itself looks like cheap plastic. I likened it to something you'd find in one of those pop up Halloween stores around this time of year. Maybe that's how the actual prop looked and it's just not my taste. But even the actual screen used prop as I understand had real leather grips which this does not nor does the mace unfortunately. Overall though, when compared to the more elegant and realistic Gimli axes, the Dwalin ones were disappointing, at least to me. I think you and Jash made the right decision not buying them.

I never realized Dwalin's axes were of such poor quality - i'm glad I decided not to go along with them. I mean for $50 they would make an interesting wall display, but anymore and i'm sure i'd have regrets.

Glad to see some of our members are taking advantage of the great deals!

If anyone's interested - I noticed Yazneg 1:6 is on the "Buy 2 for $50" promo. Along with "2 Mini Epics". Neither are my cup of tea - but thought i'd give a heads up :)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!"

Balin’s mace arrived and I’m really pleased with it. The metallic paint finish is really well done with the only area I’m a little unimpressed with being the grip. It arrived really quickly.

Llane’s ring is due to arrive on Monday and cost an extra £20 in charges. Still a lot cheaper than the original price though.

So.....any opinions on the Frodo/ Wiki at Weathertop diorama due to be showcased soon (and then later up for pre-order) ?
I will not be getting it.
(Damn... I have about $230 Weta dollars from the Treebeard purchase and nothing at the moment that interests me on which to drop it .)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I was actually surprised to see it being talked about again. I know that it has failed prototype twice (at least). I’m not sure what they have decided upon now.

As far as the translucent resin of the Witchking. I’ve seen a pic - monumental. I’m not sure if I’ll get it but it might be very hard to resist.

As far as future pieces - hmmm. There is one I’ve heard rumour of that sounds amazing.

I'd like to see the finished piece before offering an opinion, but I'm 90% in the camp of not getting it, mainly due to space and the $800+ price tag that is sure to come with it.

Weta seems determined to never make the last few 1:6 pieces that I would be interested in collecting so I guess my Weta dollars (now barely trickling in from small things like the odd Hobbit hole here and there) will continue to gather dust. :huh:
This Space for Rent

Much to my surprise (I never received a shipping notice or tracking number) Gandalf and Frodo on Cart #168 was delivered to my office yesterday. I'm working from home because of COVID-19, so I had to go in to retrieve the boxes this morning. It was a real workout getting the boxes down a flight of stairs, into my car (not fun), then back out of the car and into the house (not fun again).

Unboxing will have to wait a little bit, but I'm hoping all will be in good shape. And I have no earthly idea where I'm going to put the boxes . . .

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:22 am Much to my surprise (I never received a shipping notice or tracking number) Gandalf and Frodo on Cart #168 was delivered to my office yesterday. I'm working from home because of COVID-19, so I had to go in to retrieve the boxes this morning. It was a real workout getting the boxes down a flight of stairs, into my car (not fun), then back out of the car and into the house (not fun again).

Unboxing will have to wait a little bit, but I'm hoping all will be in good shape. And I have no earthly idea where I'm going to put the boxes . . .
Glad you were able to get them home without incident. You know, with the growing size of these Weta boxes, we almost should have an option to rent them out as income housing. :O

Are you having a custom cabinet built for GoCart just as you did for Treebeard?
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:04 am Are you having a custom cabinet built for GoCart just as you did for Treebeard?
No, I don't have the space for that. Being a townhouse dweller limits my ability to display things, and I'm truly running out of space for both my collectibles and their space-eating boxes. Even though it's not optimal, I'll be displaying GoCart on top of my Treebeard cabinet. That will give me a good view of the overall piece, but not of the wonderful detailed goodies in the cart itself. Perhaps I can come up with a better display/viewing option in the future.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:24 am
Valkrist wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:04 am Are you having a custom cabinet built for GoCart just as you did for Treebeard?
No, I don't have the space for that. Being a townhouse dweller limits my ability to display things, and I'm truly running out of space for both my collectibles and their space-eating boxes. Even though it's not optimal, I'll be displaying GoCart on top of my Treebeard cabinet. That will give me a good view of the overall piece, but not of the wonderful detailed goodies in the cart itself. Perhaps I can come up with a better display/viewing option in the future.
Buckeye, if you get a chance can you take some photos for me of the chest that goes in the back of the cart? Side, top, front profiles and a few measurement (HxWxD)? I'd love to try and build a 1/2 scale replica.

N2darkness wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:34 am Buckeye, if you get a chance can you take some photos for me of the chest that goes in the back of the cart? Side, top, front profiles and a few measurement (HxWxD)? I'd love to try and build a 1/2 scale replica.
N2, I'd be happy to do that for you. I'll unbox GoCart before the weekend is out. Stay tuned. :thumbs_up

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

N2darkness wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:50 am
Buckeye wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:53 am
N2, I'd be happy to do that for you. I'll unbox GoCart before the weekend is out. Stay tuned. :thumbs_up
Excellent! I appreciate it. Take your time and you can email the pics whenever.
Some pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1j429rfgs0ew6 ... 5.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xe2jah7166m ... 3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20yxhz7b8io32 ... 6.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3ndt2o1sfplz ... 8.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdegthu0cz5bx ... 7.jpg?dl=0

Overall measurements:
Length = 90mm
Depth at widest point = 48mm
Depth at base = 24mm
Height = 70mm

End measurements:
From base straight up to midpoint = 32mm
Point along edge to top = 45mm
Point along edge to base = 33mm

I hope these measurements are what you need and that my descriptors make sense. If not, please let me know so I can clarify.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:44 pm
N2darkness wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:50 am
Buckeye wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:53 am
Excellent! I appreciate it. Take your time and you can email the pics whenever.
Some pics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1j429rfgs0ew6 ... 5.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3xe2jah7166m ... 3.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20yxhz7b8io32 ... 6.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3ndt2o1sfplz ... 8.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdegthu0cz5bx ... 7.jpg?dl=0

Overall measurements:
Length = 90mm
Depth at widest point = 48mm
Depth at base = 24mm
Height = 70mm

End measurements:
From base straight up to midpoint = 32mm
Point along edge to top = 45mm
Point along edge to base = 33mm

I hope these measurements are what you need and that my descriptors make sense. If not, please let me know so I can clarify.
Thank you very much :db: Everything you have provided is more than I could have asked for and extremely helpful. Thanks again!

So now that we've all seen what Weta has revealed at this year's SDCC@home event, I'm curious to hear your personal thoughts here among our little group. and to know what you will get, won't get, and why.

I'll start with the new Classic Series. I'm feeling a combination of excitement and dread over this. On the one hand we have the prospect of the main characters being updated and released once more, giving us a chance to do a makeover on our collections. They've come a long way since this all started nearly two decades ago, and if you're like me and find new things hard to resist, it's difficult to fight the impulse to buy something that looks better. Of course, to do that, you have to fight the nostalgia of the old pieces and going through the hassle of selling them, not getting very much in some cases, and then there's the price point, which while reasonable, is still high if you start replacing lots. The pros for me are the return to static poses, small base footprint, and of course, the improvements in paint and sculpting since the SSW days.

Chance of getting Gandalf at this point: 50%
GtG.jpg

Chance of getting the Wraith of Mordor: 100%
WoM1.jpg

In what is now called the Premium Series, Weta keeps going bolder and bigger. This sadly has the double-edged effect of quickly pricing out a lot of us, and forcing us to rent space at the Louvre in Paris if we want to be able to display these massive pieces. I've always dreamed of an updated, 1:6 Cave Troll of Moria, but I confess I'm not totally blown away by this piece. The pose is a bit awkward, the expression is not as feral as I would like, and I'm not a fan of the running orc in front. Still, had I the space and money this is going to require, those nitpicks would quickly fall to the side. Sadly, I simply don't think I can afford this, and even if I could, I don't have anywhere to put him (the whole piece stands at 24"). Treebeard took my last available corner, and something this big just won't make it on an IKEA bookshelf.

Chance of getting the Cave Troll: Less than 5% at the moment.
CT.jpg

The showstopper of the year, the Masters Collection piece is Thranduil on Throne. This was a big surprise and well... everything about it is big, including the 18-wheeler truck needed to bring it to your door, the room you will need to put this in, and the size of the hole left in your bank account after you pay for this beast. This one is not for the faint of heart, but that is not to say I don't envy those who will stop at nothing to own it - I'm looking at you, Idril - and there is no small amount of envy there on my part. Weta has truly lost their marbles and it seems the sky is no longer the limit after throwing this at us. Thankfully, it is a pass for me with only a very faint tinge of regret.

Chance of getting Thranduil on Throne: 0%
ToT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This Space for Rent

I'm really liking the new "classic line" and ordered the Ringwraith immediately. I do also like the Gandalf and the sculpt and details is a definite upgrade, I don't think I need another.

I already have the 1st cave troll and no room for that beast anyway. No interest in Thranduil, but still very impressed with the sheer size and majesty of the piece.

To me the surprise "sneak peak" of Bilbo in Bagend is a MUST have and will find room even if I have to pack something up and sell it.

Also, there are 2 more LOTR items being revealed today from their "new line" whatever that is at 3pm.

I didn't mention Bilbo at his desk because it wasn't a finished piece or even officially part of SDCC, even if it was a clever ploy by Leonard and Dave to have it 'slip' into that video. :laugh:

Yeah, that one will be another tough one to resist, but yet again, the footprint and price will be killer. As Weta continues to trend away from characters and toward movie moments with their statues, I'm finding it harder to justify the costs. I think overall, I much prefer the straight up and simple representations of each individual of this story rather than endless iterations of them in various 'special' moments. Still, I totally get that Weta has little choice in this; it's their only way forward.

As for the Figures of Fandom series, that's an easy pass. I'm not into toy depictions like the mini epics, but this new series looks amazing in detail, and aside from the fire and magic effects, they look darn close to polystone statue quality. They really need to jazz up the bases a bit though. If I was a new collector and wanted to enter this game with a very low budget, I can't think of a better way to do it than with this new series.
This Space for Rent

This is the first Ringwraith depiction I actually like. The Gandalf and Cave Troll looks great too. I think I will get all three. My favorite out of all of them is the guard at the base of the Thranduil statue though.

I don't care for the Figures of Fandom stuff, but that Witch-king pose looks good, if the fire effects were removed.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 am This is the first Ringwraith depiction I actually like. The Gandalf and Cave Troll looks great too. I think I will get all three. My favorite out of all of them is the guard at the base of the Thranduil statue though.

I don't care for the Figures of Fandom stuff, but that Witch-king pose looks good, if the fire effects were removed.
Kit, you don't like the old classic Ringwraith on Steed? That one takes the cake for me, but I agree that as far as an on-foot version goes, this one beats all previous representations from other companies.

I love that Mirkwood Royal Guard too, perfect pose too. I so hope Weta considers releasing a standalone version.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:18 am Kit, you don't like the old classic Ringwraith on Steed?
No. The details on it looked great, but I'm very particular about anatomy and correct scale of anatomy. Especially horses, and that one just did not cut it. The Ringwraith looked odd too. Legs to short, arms too long, neck too long. That's all I would have seen every time I looked at it.
KRDS

The new releases are good and bad to me. I don’t like the FoF nor the mini Epics. I collected the mini Epics fellowship and am somewhat regretting it now. I take my figures seriously so the cartoony feel of them doesn’t fit me or my collection.

Cave Troll - nah. I’m with Val once again. I’m not liking that orc running in front of him. Why is he there???. Even if you could display him without it, I wouldn’t be getting him. It is a great sculpt but I sold my original with no regrets and I don’t feel a need to get another.

The classic series Gandalf. I actually don’t have a stand alone G and I like this one. It reminds me of the John Howe Gandalf’s. Still on the fence as I really am trying to reduce the statues I own.

The classic series Ringwraith. I do love this. I believed Weta were going to to switch out swords but that seems to have changed. Anyway, I am probably likely to crack and get this one.

Thranduil on Throne - I have been the bug in Dan’s ear about this piece ever since Thror on Throne came out. However, even I wish it wasn’t quite so BIG. I knew in January Weta had a piece so large they were wondering if it was just too large. With the virus - I just couldn’t get over there to give an opinion but I did say to them “if it is Thranduil on Throne, I don’t care how big it is as long as I can get it in my front door”. The response was “we will ship it in 3 boxes”. So I guess the writing was on the wall for it to be HUGE. Still, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Of course I’m getting it. I might have to kick a kid out of the house to display it......

You got me wondering Val about talking to Weta re releasing GG and Elendil in the classic series - what do you think?

Oh and the possibility exists we might see a standalone Mirkwood guard similar to the one in the MC in the future.

Idril wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:33 pm
You got me wondering Val about talking to Weta re releasing GG and Elendil in the classic series - what do you think?

Oh and the possibility exists we might see a standalone Mirkwood guard similar to the one in the MC in the future.
Please, please, please do!!!

I can certainly understand why other than two busts, Weta has given these two characters zero consideration. They are minor, passing figures in the movies, and neither one has any lines or appears on screen more than a few seconds. Of course, in the history of ME, they are giants, but Weta is not in business to make statues from the books. Having said that, I think it's past high time they brought them to life in 1:6 form, and yes, the Classic Series would be the perfect vehicle for them. If Weta's reluctance to tackle them thus far has to do with questioning their viability as good sellers, then the format of this new series would help lower the risk for them. No need for fancy bases with lots of environment, or convoluted action poses with other characters involved. Just a simple, and fairly inexpensive representation. Not only that, the Open Edition format allows Weta to cut off production whenever they want and avoid tons of unsold stock if they have committed to a limited edition number. The downside to all this is that they might be viewing the Classic Series as just that: an opportunity to revisit the classics only and not bring anything new to the table.

Whatever the format, I would love to see these finally and justly immortalized. They would both make such great-looking statues, and aside from hardcore ME fans, they have aesthetic appeal in their look: shining armour, cool and famous weapons, one of them is an Elf, which is always a selling feature... I really can't understand why they keep kicking the can on these two, but then I'm reminded of Faramir and Eomer, so who knows what goes through their minds at Weta sometimes. Heck, to this day, still no Denethor. Anyway, whatever you can do to get them thinking about it would be great. Remind them that Isildur was gone in a heartbeat. Whatever the case, you have my thanks ahead of time. :inlove:

As for the standalone Mirkwood guard, yeah, you'd mentioned that before and I hope they go for it. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

So, here we are in our little quiet corner and away from the chaos of FoU... how are you guys enjoying this year's SDCC at home with Weta?

The MC piece does not thrill me - pass
The new Sauron looks stunning - going to get him
The 3 new mini helms - all will be ordered
The Saruman on Orthanc throne - looks intriguing but massive, need to see the complete thing but probably a pass
Figures of fandom - they are looking very good but not my thing
Mini epics - no toys, thanks

Thoughts?
This Space for Rent

I followed this year's SDCC at home with Weta. It was decent, but think they really could have upped their game a bit presentation-wise. Yesterday was rather anticlimactic, especially compared to the previous day.

MC Escape Off the Road -- I like it. Pending it's price, I'm likely going to get it. It's a beast . . . tipping the scales at nearly 76 pounds. Oof!
Sauron premium figure -- Looks absolutely amazing. Though I don't collect "baddie" items, I've broken that previously resolute collecting rule quite a few times over the past several years. I'm almost certainly going to purchase him.
Three new mini-helms -- Pass.
Saruman on Orthanc throne -- looks interesting and I'm sure it will be impressive, but I don't see myself buying it. Who knows . . . the reveal of the finished piece could be a mind changer.
Figures of fandom -- Hard pass. Zero interest.
Mini epics -- Hard pass. Interesting figures with fun styling, but not for me.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Valkrist wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:20 pm So, here we are in our little quiet corner and away from the chaos of FoU... how are you guys enjoying this year's SDCC at home with Weta?

The MC piece does not thrill me - pass
The new Sauron looks stunning - going to get him
The 3 new mini helms - all will be ordered
The Saruman on Orthanc throne - looks intriguing but massive, need to see the complete thing but probably a pass
Figures of fandom - they are looking very good but not my thing
Mini epics - no toys, thanks

Thoughts?
My thoughts pretty much echo yours, but I think I'm done with the mini helms as it really seems like they are stretching to find new LOTR items.

I'm very interested in Sauron as it looks amazing, but with the increased size also creates displaying issues I need to work out first.

N2darkness wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:51 am

My thoughts pretty much echo yours, but I think I'm done with the mini helms as it really seems like they are stretching to find new LOTR items.

I'm very interested in Sauron as it looks amazing, but with the increased size also creates displaying issues I need to work out first.
My current Sauron is on top of a stand next to the UC helm so there is no height limit worry for me. The new one appears to be about 2" higher than the old one? Not sure about the real estate the cape takes up but the old one takes up a fair bit of space there too.

My main concern is knowing that he will eventually be paired up with other statues, so if one buys it and wants the companion pieces, one needs to consider that in terms of planning the display. With that in mind, he will not fit in my current set up.

Do you guys think it's possible an Elendil and Gil-galad will be revealed before this Sauron ships? I wonder how long he will be alone for...
This Space for Rent

N2darkness wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:30 am
Since he's not shipping till 2nd quarter of next year, my guess would be yes. Elendil before the end of the year and Gil-galad sometime early next year.
I think so too, but wanted to hear someone else say it.

I don't believe it will be much of an issue selling the old one (though I believe there will be a mini flood of them on ebay shortly) but if I want to get ahead of that, the issue then becomes having a Sauron-less collection for a year. :'(
This Space for Rent

The MC piece too film based for me - pass but god I love that horse. I would love that as a stand alone horse. Wondering how I can somehow get one.
The new Sauron needed for upcoming prologue pieces - ordered. (I’ve heard back from Dan about this)
The 3 new mini helms - pass, selling my existing mini helm collection
The Saruman on Orthanc throne - I’m loving it. Will get it if I can display it without Saruman sitting there. Now likely to keep my SSW Saruman as a companion piece.
Figures of fandom - meh - pass
Mini epics - I hate them

Where are you all seeing this?

I saw the SDCC reveals of black costume supeman, the Saruman mini epic and something or other (not LOTR) sitting on a throne.
I saw the MC Hobbits under the Tree roots on the Weta website.
Where did you you see the Saruman on the throne in Orthanc?
Can someone send me the link(s)?

Deimos wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:59 pm Where are you all seeing this?

I saw the SDCC reveals of black costume supeman, the Saruman mini epic and something or other (not LOTR) sitting on a throne.
Hey M. Watch this just before they reveal Sauron.

https://youtu.be/DlfV7xf5gFc

Idril wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:58 am
Deimos wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:59 pm Where are you all seeing this?

Hey M. Watch this just before they reveal Sauron.

https://youtu.be/DlfV7xf5gFc[/quote

OK.... I saw it.... How did you know that it was Suraman's chair/throne?
(You all must have total recall , being able to identify something like that)

The design of the chair, made of obsidian and with all those ridges, is the exact same chair that Saruman sits on when Gandalf comes to talk to him for the second time and they have their battle. A look at some screencaps of that moment will easily confirm that. That and the fact that there is no other tall, black chair like that in the entire trilogy. ;)
This Space for Rent

All a 'pass' for me. No interest, and no room even I did have any interest.
As it is, I will have to shoehorn Bilbo and his desk somewhere ...still haven't figured that out. :-p

Bilbo at Desk paid for. Sauron ordered. Still thinking about Escape Off the Road, but strongly leaning yes.

Between product purchases and a planned late 2023 vacation of a lifetime to New Zealand, my credit card is going to hate me even more than usual over the next couple years. :crazy:

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Idril wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:28 pm The MC piece too film based for me - pass but god I love that horse. I would love that as a stand alone horse. Wondering how I can somehow get one.
Mini epics - I hate them
Was re-reading posts about the MC Under the Tree Roots Sculpt (or whatever they are calling it) both here and on the FofU forum.
So.....$2400 (USD) or therabouts.

Anyone here who originally was not going to get it decide to change horses in mid-stream (haha.... a bit of Wraith equestrian punning, you see :rolleye:) and pull the trigger on it?

@Idril....your post was actually pretty funny as I imagined it ... a stand alone Ringwraith steed.
Have you figured out a way to get one?

Oh, and even if no one is interested in "my humble opinion" I still think that Treebeard is `1) hands-down the absolute last word in MC statues, and so
2) is the only one worth what it priced at.

I didn’t even reconsider. I was never getting it. As for the horse….. that will be in the future. A few years in the future……. Like a visit to Weta and saying “you don’t happen to have a spare horse lying around do you?”

Treebeard is the best but in reality Thranduil on Throne is more magnificent. Just saying. I love it too!

So chuffed that Weta sent me Treebeard number 3. #3/333. Better than number 1 for this IMO.

Return to “Weta Workshop”