Re: UC Carbon Steel Anduril ??

Jash wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:20 pm Honestly, the part that surprised me the most is the switch to a Highly Polished Blade. Which is a very different direction from the other 3 "Museum Collection" swords. Don't get me wrong - I'm looking forward to it. Reminds me more of the scene when Aragorn first unsheaths Anduril. As well as closer to the works of Peter Lyon.
It won't be a mirror polish, but it will have the same type of polish as the hero prop that I posted in the KRDS thread. I think I posted a pic of the actual UC blade with that finish here sometime last year, when I tested the original carbon steel prototype.

The Sting and Glamdring hero props did not have a polished finish like that, but they were more polished than the UC's MC versions.
KRDS

Re: UC "Museum Collection" Carbon Steel Anduril ??

Valkrist wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:23 pm Kit, what should one expect in terms of maintenance for a wall hanger that won't be handled but is carbon steel versus the stainless steel version?
The same care as the Sting and Glamdring MC blades, for any of you that own those. Either apply light coat of oil every few months or clean and degrease the blade and apply a coat of wax to seal it - automotive wax or Renaissance Wax. Either way, avoid finger prints on the blade, and wipe it down if it does get touched.

As long as it is kept in an air conditioned, low humidity environment, it will take a long time to oxidize or rust even if you don't apply any protective coating. I have a few carbon steel blades in my sample room that have been in open air for years. I don't think I have ever done anything other than wipe the dust off, and they only have a few tiny rust spots.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:58 pm
Valkrist wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:23 pm Kit, what should one expect in terms of maintenance for a wall hanger that won't be handled but is carbon steel versus the stainless steel version?
The same care as the Sting and Glamdring MC blades, for any of you that own those. Either apply light coat of oil every few months or clean and degrease the blade and apply a coat of wax to seal it - automotive wax or Renaissance Wax. Either way, avoid finger prints on the blade, and wipe it down if it does get touched.

As long as it is kept in an air conditioned, low humidity environment, it will take a long time to oxidize or rust even if you don't apply any protective coating. I have a few carbon steel blades in my sample room that have been in open air for years. I don't think I have ever done anything other than wipe the dust off, and they only have a few tiny rust spots.
Would clear coating the blade, could it be a thing, for me, the purchaser you think? Or what was it Windlass used to do? Lacquer them? I have some old Windlass' that have never been maintenanced and are still shiny from whatever they sealed them with. If so, could you recommend something to use that would keep the factory appearance as is for display? Thanks in advance.

Nasnandos wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:58 pm

Not sure if people will call me an idiot for having done this, but when I got my MC Glamdring it had white spots, rust spots, rusty fingerprints etc. So I polished the blade and I personally think it looks way better this way than it did with the original satin finish
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex, it sounds like the condition in which you received the sword would have made cleaning it up while still maintaining the original finish a very difficult and/or not worth-it task. Honestly, I see nothing stupid about what you did. The blade looks fantastic and not everyone is a fan of the aged, beat-up look, so if you're happy with your work and the sword looks good on your wall, then that's all that matters. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Nasnandos wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:42 pm
Jash wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:20 pm Honestly, the part that surprised me the most is the switch to a Highly Polished Blade. Which is a very different direction from the other 3 "Museum Collection" swords. Don't get me wrong - I'm looking forward to it. Reminds me more of the scene when Aragorn first unsheaths Anduril. As well as closer to the works of Peter Lyon.
It won't be a mirror polish, but it will have the same type of polish as the hero prop that I posted in the KRDS thread. I think I posted a pic of the actual UC blade with that finish here sometime last year, when I tested the original carbon steel prototype.

The Sting and Glamdring hero props did not have a polished finish like that, but they were more polished than the UC's MC versions.
Hi Kit, member of the FB page here. I had a few questions in regards to the design. To start, will the MC Anduril fit the current scabbard that's on the market? Second, is there a possibility to replace the gold inlays on the pommel and quillions with bronze like it is on the screen used prop?

Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 am will the MC Anduril fit the current scabbard that's on the market?
That's the plan. It's shape will be made using the same blade die as the standard Anduril, so the profile will be the same. Hopefully the thickness tolerance will be within the window to fit the scabbards, but we have not gotten to that point yet.
Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 am is there a possibility to replace the gold inlays on the pommel and quillions with bronze like it is on the screen used prop?
The inlays on the standard UC Anduril were plated in gold to match the prop color an the MC inlays will be the same. If you were asking if it is possible to remove those and replace them after market, they are not designed to be removed.
KRDS

AlexMar wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:05 am Not sure if people will call me an idiot for having done this, but when I got my MC Glamdring it had white spots, rust spots, rusty fingerprints etc. So I polished the blade and I personally think it looks way better this way than it did with the original satin finish
Under those circumstances I would have done the same thing.
I think it looks great...good job! :thumbs_up
Last edited by Deimos on Mon May 31, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Unless you're prepared to surrender everything, don't surrender anything."

When seconds matter, it's reassuring to know that the police are only minutes away.

"Only the paranoid survive."

Nasnandos wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:06 pm
Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 am will the MC Anduril fit the current scabbard that's on the market?
That's the plan. It's shape will be made using the same blade die as the standard Anduril, so the profile will be the same. Hopefully the thickness tolerance will be within the window to fit the scabbards, but we have not gotten to that point yet.
Night_Owl_117 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 am is there a possibility to replace the gold inlays on the pommel and quillions with bronze like it is on the screen used prop?
The inlays on the standard UC Anduril were plated in gold to match the prop color an the MC inlays will be the same. If you were asking if it is possible to remove those and replace them after market, they are not designed to be removed.
I understand the decision made. I recently came across a bit of information from the Royal Armory in London that houses a version of Anduril made by Peter Lyon and he is quoted is saying the inlays are bronze. I completely understand if bronze inlays done by you all couldn't match the screen colors and I wouldn't dare to try and mess up work you've done to make these art pieces.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”