Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ss-1294704

From the article:
"The streamer has handed out a straight-to-series order for Star Trek: Discovery spinoff Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. The drama will see Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn reprise their respective Discovery roles as Capt. Christopher Pike, Spock and Number One as the series explores the years the former manned the helm of the Enterprise. The show follows the trio in the decade before Capt. Kirk boarded the Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy."

I loved their portrayal of the characters and was hoping we'd get to see more of them! This is super exciting!
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Darn you BC, I wanted to make this announcement! :club: :lol:

But in any case, I'm thrilled. I really liked Mount and Romijn as Pike and #1, and I was fine with Peck as Spock (although there can only ever be one true Spock).

I just hope they don't make too many trips to the well. The old management did that in the past, and it remains a risk now. But CBS is getting ready to expand All Access and they definitely want Star Trek to be a big part of that.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Did anyone seriously not see this coming? Still mildly surprising that they actually listened to the fans for once. Hopefully this new series will quickly eclipse Discovery. The sooner we move past that disaster masquerading as 'Star Trek', the better.

For now, I'll adopt my usual stance of guarded optimism regarding Strange New Worlds. It will be interesting to see if they establish the timeline of the series to be pre or post Discovery events. If done before, we could potentially be looking at seeing the full new version of The Cage, which would be super cool. If done after, I wonder how much Pike's foreknowledge of the fate that awaits him will affect his behaviour. I don't really want a show about a Pike battling depression, but on the other hand I see some good opportunities for storytelling in there, including Pike searching for ways to alter his own destiny.
This Space for Rent

Sorry Olorin! I was just excited I finally got the jump on you on announcing something!!!

I saw it coming on one hand, but I totally saw the fan response being ignored in order to do some producer's random Star Trek love child, like Section 34, the Tal Shiar meets Obsidian Order love child of Section 31 (or something crazy)

I am, with Val, i have some guarded optimism, mainly because Anson Mount's Pike was just wonderful, so I really am looking forward to his show away from Discovery.
Maybe Strange New Worlds can be the prequel we wanted (or didnt actually want, but definitely not what we got) and Discovery can do anything and everything they want now that they are so far in the future they cant jack up the canon too much... or can they?

BladeCollector wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:27 am they are so far in the future they cant jack up the canon too much... or can they?
You're clearly forgetting how much Trek writers love time travel (Discovery being the latest case in point) and how canon means nothing when you can muck around with timelines even if you're far into the future. You know they won't be able to resist.

My main beef with Discovery as a whole is just that: the desperate and arrogant need that this show seems to have to try and make everything in the Trek universe about itself. They are bending over backwards to retcon certain things to justify this show's existence, and to make themselves appear clever in the process. As awesome as the whole concept of the MCU has been for movies and television, it's also infected writers and producers with a driving need to show how interconnected everything is because... apparently nothing happens independently anymore?!? I still have my money on Discovery's writing-on-the-wall attempt to give itself credit for inventing the origin of the Borg, and for tying the Synth Overlord beings from Picard to Control.
This Space for Rent

I've always been curious as to a canon origin of the Borg. I know there are non-canon stories, involving V'ger, and things of that nature... but I dont trust Discovery the Discovery writers. Although I do not disagree with you, Val, on Discovery trying to do it.

But yes, Discovery seems to be hell bent on being the center of the Star Trek universe, with all other series, being spokes emanating from the Discovery central hub, so to speak.

Random thoughts....

I wasn't hugely surprised. The new Enterprise crew members were a big hit with the fans and Alex Kurztman said they wanted to be able to do a show. The three actors wanted to do it, and all three came back for Short Treks. And of course, CBS All Access is always looking to expand the franchise. Still, sometimes things don't always align (where is National Treasure 3?). So, even though I wasn't hugely surprised, I was a little surprised. Let's just say it was exciting and a nice pick-me-up.

The Borg.... In some ways I'd like to think the franchise will never put forth a canon origin story for the Borg, as I suspect it might be underwhelming. At the same time, I'm not naïve enough to think it'll never happen. Given that eventuality, my druthers would be that only the show that introduced the Borg should be the one to present their origin story, to be written by the writers who invented and developed the Borg. Unfortunately, TNG has been off the air for 26 years, and the Q Who and Best of Both Worlds writers, Maurice Hurley and Michael Piller, are both dead. Obviously, TNG has a successor series, Picard, and Brannon Braga and Ron Moore, who took the Borg a quantum leap forward, are still around. Yet the first season of Picard already dealt heavily with the Borg, albeit as a sidebar, which makes me think it's unlikely they'll deal with them again. I don't know how may seasons it will run—Patrick Stewart is 80, after all—and it's kind of hard to imagine that they'll want to devote another season of what is therefore likely to be a limited run to the Borg. And Braga and Moore have gone on to other things, and might have no interest in coming back to Star Trek, even if the current management humbled themselves to ask. So, we'll get what we get in terms of a Borg origin, if we get one. I'd prefer Discovery or even Strange New Worlds not be the venue for that, which is no judgment on the quality of either. Rather, it's a matter of how many times we'll have to accept that Starfleet came into possession of truly monumental information and managed to lock it down so tightly that no one knows about it. Cases in point: the NX-01's encounter with the Borg, the Hansens, the Spore Drive, the starship Discovery, Section 31, Control... Oh, and Spock has a sister.

But getting back to Strange New Worlds, I suspect it'll pick up right after the end of Season 2 of Discovery. Also, I'd be very surprised if that mysterious Starfleet officer who debriefed Pike, Spock, and Number One (and was seen only from the mouth down) doesn't play a role at some point. So I don't think we'll see a do-over of The Cage. And honestly, I wouldn't want to. It was done just fine the first time, and I doubt they could avoid mucking it up in a re-do. I mean, as much as I liked the Talosian episode of Discovery, you have to admit that it seriously defanged them as uber-scary villains. They seemed almost benevolent, and not nearly as Machiavellian.

Early word from the production is that the show will be more episodic and less serialized than either Discovery or Picard, and also that it will try to recapture Star Trek's sense of optimism and will not have the dark tone of Discovery and Picard. And I must say, I like the name of the series. You know, it's funny, just a day before the news broke, I read an article where someone was speculating about this becoming a series and saying that an announcement would be imminent. They were right about that, but totally wrong in another area. They were calling the show Star Trek: Enterprise. Did they somehow not realize there was already a show by that name?

Unrelated notes.... I just read that Jeff Russo, the composer of the modern era of Star Trek, is recording each member of the orchestra individually from their homes, due to the COVID pandemic, and will combine it into an orchestra in the mixing process. That's how quite a bit of popular music is done these days, but I think it'll be more challenging with a 50-piece band vs a 5-piece band.

Finally, Discovery. I don't hate the show. I don't dislike it. I don't have to grind my teeth. In fact, I like it pretty well, despite its manifold problems. Yes, it does get a bit out there at times and in various ways but even when it comes up with something rather jaw-dropping for not necessarily the desired reason (i.e., the spore drive), at least it's trying to be science fiction and do something new. And while we've had to swallow quite a bit, with a pointless Klingon redesign, a war the Federation came within moments of losing yet no one talks about even ten years later, and Section 31 being a known agency in this era but unheard of later on, it's given us good characters and actors. Of course Michael Burnham is the center of the show, but Saru and Tilly are great characters too, and the Terran Georgiou is deliciously bad. I enjoyed the slow-developing relationship between Michael and Ash Tyler that went so bad, Tilly's nerdiness (yes, it's possible to do a smart character without being annoying, Wesley I'm looking at you), and Saru as the latest incarnation of the Spock/Data/Odo outsider. And even considering its bad parts, it has been successful and re-established Star Trek on television, its proper home, which has given us Picard and will later in a pandemic-free world give us Strange New Worlds. So yeah, it's kind of the hub of the Star Trek universe right now.

Once upon a time, there was TNG, which in its first two years was usually little better than crap. There were a lot of people who sneered at it and called it Trek Lite (and that was one of the kinder things probably), and some of them never came around. There are still people who think that Star Trek ended forever in 1969. Yet TNG became something great and was the foundation of Star Trek's great flowering in the 1990s. Most of its successor series of that era also took a few years to hit their strides, too. There were people who said of Enterprise that at least they got it right by not calling it Star Trek (in its first two seasons). I hope Discovery grows the some way those shows did. Season 3 is supposed to be more Trek-like and more optimistic (in spite of a Federation apparently in tatters), and Jonathon Frakes has nothing but praise for his experience in directing a number of upcoming episodes. So I want to be hopeful about that, and I want to give myself the opportunity to appreciate Star Trek told in ways different from what I'm used to. At some point I realized there was the stereotype of the crotchety old guy raging at a world he doesn't understand anymore, and honestly I've been pretty close to that when it comes to music. I don't want to be that way with Star Trek and thus far, Discovery, different though it often feels, has never made me feel it wasn't Star Trek. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've been around with Star Trek for a very long time (I saw a few episodes of TOS in first run, though I was too young to really understand it), I've seen it have many incarnations and travel a lot of bumpy paths, and to date I've seen nothing that makes Discovery anything but part of that heritage.

I enjoy Discovery, but it's cathartic to unleash what I don't like about it with you guys that what I like :)

As far as TNG seasons 1 and 2... Whew... If you're trying to introduce someone to star trek, skip TNG seasons 1 and 2, they can come back and watch after they are into it.

TNG picked up after the uniform change in season 3, just like DS9 for me, picked up when Sisko went bald and grew a goatee :)

BladeCollector wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:41 am I enjoy Discovery, but it's cathartic to unleash what I don't like about it with you guys that what I like :)

As far as TNG seasons 1 and 2... Whew... If you're trying to introduce someone to star trek, skip TNG seasons 1 and 2, they can come back and watch after they are into it.

TNG picked up after the uniform change in season 3, just like DS9 for me, picked up when Sisko went bald and grew a goatee :)
Carthatic, LOL, I'm guessing that you as a medical professional know the other meaning of that term. Sometimes it seems like there's a whole lot of catharsis on the Internet. (generally not here, though)

I thought DS9 was always good and just grew better as time went on. TNG's improvement was revolutionary, while DS9's was evolutionary. But Sisko.... Perhaps the fact that they finally let Brooks grow the beard and shave his head (and OMG is there anyone who after a nanosecond glimpse of the new look wouldn't realize it was SO much better?) meant they had developed enough confidence in the show and the character that not only were they comfortable with the change in appearance, they were ready to let the writers make the character edgier.

I wonder if Jonathon Frakes had to plead to grow his beard? There's another character that looked so much better with a beard. He had such a baby face back then that putting that hair on it automatically made him look older, more authoritative, and more to be reckoned with. Prior to that, he was more just a pain in the butt.

Thinking back about these older shows makes me regretful, for the umpteenth time, that DS9 and Voyager will almost certainly never see the light of day on BluRay. I mean, there's about no way they'd spend the money to go totally back to the drawing board like they did with TNG. But I'd even settle for an upconvert. The upconverted DS9 footage in the recent doco looked pretty darned good, and certainly a whole lot better than the DVDs or the streaming version on CBS All Access.

Further thoughts on the new show....

I hope they develop good backstories for Pike and Number One. And they first step in doing that is not wasting time developing backstory for Spock. Spock already has more backstory (thanks in part to Discovery) than any other character in Star Trek. I totally get that he's a popular character but he's pretty well fleshed out already. Contrast with Pike, where all we know about him is he's from Mojave, CA, and he got an F in a class. And as for Number One, we know really nothing, not even her full name. It was Discovery that dubbed her Una (and I thought that was pretty clever), but is that her first name or last name? Suffice it to say, both Pike and Una are very blank slates, which is ironic considering they are such iconic characters. So let's come up with some good backstories, guys!

I wonder what other characters will populate the crew of the Enterprise? None of the Kirk-era crew were shown aboard the ship during The Cage, but if the show indeed picks up after the end of Season 2 of Discovery, The Cage would be 4 years in the rear-view mirror, so new crew could've rotated aboard. I think my pick for a familiar face would be Scotty, since he was aboard by the time of Where No Man Has Gone Before.

BladeCollector wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:54 am
Valkrist wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:19 am
BladeCollector wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:46 am Agree with everything you said!

Do you have an scotty actor in mind?
Anyone but Simon Pegg.

Love the guy but that was one serious piece of miscasting.
Probably the worst recast of the TOS crew, in my opinion.
Yep.

Not to revive an old debate, but I'd say Anton Yelchin (may he rest in peace) was a close tie. Never for one second did I buy him as Chekov. Not sure what show they were researching to get his personality and mannerisms right, but it wasn't TOS.

On the Strange New Worlds episodic vs. serialization, I'm ok with a mix of the two approaches as there are pros and cons to both. I think episodic will allow them to get a little closer to the spirit of older Treks, so I'm a big fan of the fully encapsulate episodes, but I also want character development and see some real consequences of previous events and actions follow the ship and crew from week to week. Just please, no season-long complex story arcs about saving the universe while rewriting history once again and then giving us disjointed, disappointing conclusions after all that work and time.
This Space for Rent

I don't have any prognostications about who they'll pick to play potential TOS roles, and really no preferences either. I'm not very good at envisioning who I'd want in a part, probably because my tendency is always to go toward a favorite actor that's a very good actor. But I don't think Ian McKellen should play Scotty, for example.

As for the actors who were in the Abramsverse movies, I think by and large they eschewed trying to copy the originals. Chris Pine explicitly stated he was not going to try to copy Shatner's mannerisms, for example. I'm sure there was a fear it would be perceived as parody, since Shatner's dramatic pauses have been parodied to Timbuktu and back. As for the others, the only two that I think came reasonably close to conjuring the spirits of their predecessors were Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban. Of course, at least to me, 90% of doing Spock is just being Vulcan. I know there's more to a character than that, but the Vulcan characteristics loom so huge to me that they are hard to see past. So, Zachary Quinto did a good Spock, Ethan Peck did a good Spock, and Tim Russ did a good Spock even though he wasn't playing Spock. As for Karl Urban, I thought he totally nailed McCoy. To me the only way he didn't nail McCoy was simply a physical characteristic, eye color. De Kelley had those piercing blue eyes, while Karl Urban's are dark brown. So that stood out to me. But in terms of mannerisms and the way he spoke, he nailed it. It's unfortunate the writers usually went overboard in having him conjure McCoy's histrionics and country expressions. That verged on parody, unfortunately.

I thought Simon Pegg was fine as Scotty. The Star Trek movies were the first thing I ever saw him in, so he was new to me and I didn't have any preconceptions based on his past roles. As with McCoy, sometimes the way they used him verged on parody, but I don't blame him for that. I also think they were aiming at the later Scotty. The Scotty of TOS had a wry sense of humor, no doubt, but he tended to be a terser, more serious character, as opposed to the older, looser, more jocular Scotty. In fact, by the later original cast movies and Generations, Scotty was unfortunately used too much for comic relief. For example, when the producers realized they couldn't get the entire original cast together for the prologue of Generations, they chose just to go with Scotty and Chekov, because "they were the funniest."

Olorin wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 pm Per the presentation just now on Star Trek Day, additional crew members will include Cadet Uhura, Nurse Chapel, and Dr. M’Benga.
I'm going to assume you're not mentioning the elephant in the room on purpose?

La'an Noonien-Singh?

Are these people for real?

With that name present among the crew (or in the show at all) they've just ensured that I will not bother watching. I don't care about "giving it a chance". When all you can come up with are hammer-over-the-head retcons that sloppily attempt to rewrite 50 years of established Trek history - like Spock having a sister that is superior to him in every way imaginable - then it's just hot garbage that I don't have time for. It does seem Spock is pretty stupid after all, since in Space Seed he developed amnesia and completely forgot he'd served alongside someone with a very familiar last name to the tyrannical madman they just found floating in space. Good one, Spocko. Anything else you forgot to tell your friends? Oh wait, maybe he'll be sworn to secrecy over this too, just like the existence of the USS Discovery? Right.

I'll find something better to do with that one hour of my life every week. Make that two, as I won't be watching Discovery anymore either. Michael Burnham is going to single-handedly save the galaxy again, apparently. How many times is that now? I think I've lost count. Oh, and Picard is going back in time to present-day Earth! That sounds very original too.

Alex Kurtzman needs to be fired. Please.

:barf:
This Space for Rent

Olorin wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:17 pm I think I didn’t mention it because it didn’t quite click at first what the name was. I think I had heard it as Noonien Soong , as in Data’s creator, which was enough of a stretch on its own.
I would have infinitely preferred that they had somehow shoehorned and ancestor of Data's creator into Pike's crew than the sheer nonsense and stretched impossibly beyond believability notion that is getting us to believe that a descendent of Khan's just happened to serve on the Enterprise.

I can understand and appreciate a plotline like the Augments in the episodes of ST: Enterptise, that made use of others like Khan being out there, but this is just a bit much. Again, these writers feel that everything and anything in this universe just has to be connected somehow, otherwise no one will 'get it'.

Now watch as Cadet Singh, or whoever the crap this person is, plants a homing device on the Enterprise that will conveniently draw the Botany Bay to it in five year's time or something dumb like that. :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

WhatCulture's TrekCulture YouTube channel did a video on the Strange New Worlds promo yesterday. They commented on the name and said sure, it could be unrelated to Khan, but the chances the character would be unrelated with a name like that are vanishingly small. It really makes no sense, though, for them to do this. Sure, Khan probably had a harem of women and had various off-spring. But for them not to have been rounded up and either executed or at least neutered, being the children of an augment, seems not very likely. The Federation still bans augmentation 300 years later, and the governments of Earth would have had to have been even more jumpy about it right after the Eugenics Wars. But say a child escaped getting slaughtered, and had a family, and so on. With the Federation being opposed to eugenics, why would anyone go by that name and draw attention to yourself? It would be like going by the name Hitler. OK, sure, there's some weird people that would be proud of such a heritage. But would Starfleet let them join?

All I can say is, like Lucy, the writers have got some 'splainin' to do.

I guess you'll just have to tell me about it.

Out of the three shows (I'm not counting the two cartoons), I think I will give Picard one more chance and that's it. I had such huge hopes for New Worlds, but this one small thing managed to completely and utterly ruin it for me out of the gate.

As admiral what's-her-name said: "The sheer effing hubris" of these writers...
This Space for Rent

Quite honestly, I doubt I'll see the point in telling you about it, since you've already decided not to like it. I'm not being critical of you. Only you can determine what you do or don't want to watch...you do you.

I used to really try to get people to like things that I liked, but I'm getting away from doing that. I've come to a place in my life where I no longer feel the need to try to make someone like something just because I do. This is partly because I see other people I know in the real world who crave the validation of being the center of a group and, heaven help us, an "influencer." But I've come to be more comfortable in liking what I like and not caring if other people like it (as long as enough like it that it doesn't get canceled). Moreover, it is a responsibility and potential liability to assure someone they'll like something (especially when they've already evinced a strong bent toward disliking it. If I tell someone, oh you'll love this, and they end up hating it, then they will disrespect my taste and devalue my opinion.

I'm not sure what I'll make of it myself. But for me, they built up such good vibes for Pike and Number One (Una Chin-Riley...hey, if you're going to have a main character, you've got to give her a name, so might as well make it a doozy...) and created so much anticipation for this show, that I'm going to watch it. And with Uhura, Chapel, and M'Benga among the crew, that makes me even more interested. That they appear to be making a story-telling decision so far-fetched as to sink the whole, er, enterprise concerns me, but I'll watch and see. If it wrecks the show, I'll move on. As for Picard, on the whole I quite liked the first season. The new trailer concerns me, admittedly. Time travel is possibly the most worn-out of Stat Trek's many worn-out tropes. Every series has indulged in it. Seriously, the show should have been called Time Trek instead of Star Trek (and scored alliteration points to boot). The new trailer conjured an image of a dusty, rutted road already trod by The Voyage Home, First Contact, and the Voyager 2-parter Future's End. We'll see. And Discovery, well, I'm liking it mostly for the characters, primarily Saru and Tilly. I'm still hoping the show will find its legs, like TNG did, and that I'll like the legs it finds. I did like the new character of Admiral Vance. We'll see what else they can do in their new future.

Ironically, the more Star Trek they put out there, the more diluted my interest in it becomes. Back in the acknowledged Golden Era of Star Trek (the TNG-DS9-VOY-ENT sequence), quality of an existing show seemed to suffer as they diverted staff toward developing and launching a new show, and they never had more than 2 shows (and maybe a movie) ongoing at any one time). Now they've got 5 shows, and even more in the pipeline. I suppose my expectations are lowering in the face of the odds they're stacking against themselves. And beyond that, we are on the cusp of what appears to be an absolutely jaw-dropping movie adaptation of Dune and a stunning-looking streaming series of Foundation. With the two unquestionably all-time greatest works in all of science fiction about to debut in my living room (Dune will be on HBO Max), Star Trek is a very distant third place in my entertainment matrix (oops, another pun).

And to divulge even a bit more, I have suffered and am suffering such affronts to my sensibilities and priorities in my actual life this year that I don't have the emotional energy to get too exercised over Star Trek. Nearly all my focus is consumed by trying to hold it together for a few more years until I'm ready to retire. I have learned not to wish away precious days and years of life to get past unpleasantness. Like Picard, I have become aware that there are more days behind than there are ahead. But some days it really is a challenge to keep my eyes on the prize, choose the mountains that I'm willing to die on (clarifying, in light of the increasing darker tone of this post, that that is only just a metaphor), and outmaneuver the nitwits with whom I'm forced to coexist.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”