Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

RevAnakin wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:49 am The sheer pain watching him grab that $500k sword by the blade...
That's just a stunt prop, no edge. More like 15-25k if it was auctioned. The one I used to own only sold for around 10k at auction.

I'm more surprised they let someone wear that armor. For the age of it and the value that holds, I would not want any part of it damaged! I guess the Weta folks don't see it that way.
KRDS

Indeed. Just knowing that a never used on screen Glamdring stunt auctioned for $250k last year, actual screen used stunts are probably closer these days.

And for how Weta sees value, I was told that, the Ian McKellen hero Glamdring just leaning against a desk in a corner of the workshop... :'(
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

RevAnakin wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:01 am Indeed. Just knowing that a never used on screen Glamdring stunt auctioned for $250k last year, actual screen used stunts are probably closer these days.
Is that what the one Sideshow auctioned sold for? Not surprising for a Gandalf prop. A screen used white staff prop sold for close to $400k back in 2014. I think the non screen used one I used to own sold for around 100k the last time it was auctioned.
KRDS

RevAnakin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:06 am Of course, with Castle Kon's new policy, we are trying to make pre-orders the cheapest possible. Meaning that if you pre-order, you will have locked in a lower price than you should ever get via sales and such. I am trying to help everyone collect everything for the lowest prices possible!
I will definitely buy in your store. Not only the best price, but also the best service of all the stores I have bought replicas from. I am more than very happy with my purchases in your store. Thanks. :)

I simply believe that this is the most efficient way I have found to manage my tight budget in order to complete my collection as much as possible. I'm going to pre-order only for limited editions and for the rest of the replicas, I'll be patient and buy what comes out in stock.
Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:58 am It is as equally frustrating for the various companies I work with to plan their cash flow as it is for the collectors who buy their products to. I wish there was a better system for UC (or Weta) to project actual release dates, or at least rough estimates, but the way things have been going the past few years, it has become even more impossible to estimate with all the unpredictable variables involved. That seems to be the norm since covid, but I hope things will eventually get back to some level or predictability as some point.
Thanks for your answers. Yes, everything has become more chaotic, it is happening in all markets. Hopefully one day everything will return to normal, for now I suppose that it is simply a reality to which we have to adapt.

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:14 am I'm more surprised they let someone wear that armor. For the age of it and the value that holds, I would not want any part of it damaged! I guess the Weta folks don't see it that way.
I was also surprised. That armour should be exhibited in an exhibition, behind a showcase, well cared for and preserved.

Every time he hit the cuirass with his hands while talking, I was in pain. :'(

RevAnakin wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:01 am And for how Weta sees value, I was told that, the Ian McKellen hero Glamdring just leaning against a desk in a corner of the workshop... :'(
It's sad to hear that. :(

I think hero Glamdring is another one that should be taken care of as a museum piece undoubtedly. If it is not taken care of and preserved its steel will deteriorate, and it is not only an artifact very dear to us fans, it also is history of the cinema that is neglected in a corner.

It is evident that in Weta they do not value their most iconic pieces as they should once the work is finished.

StrongWithGod wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:53 am OMG!!! and that´s the dream of many of us since the movies came out...
I would love to be able to see that armour, but honestly, I would be afraid to put it on and ruin it... If it were a replica, I would love to put it on undoubtedly, but the original would be more worried than enjoying the experience. :P

Even for touching it with bare hands, I would be more worried that the grease on my hands could cause rust stains on the metals.

XerachCruz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:13 am
StrongWithGod wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:53 am OMG!!! and that´s the dream of many of us since the movies came out...
I would love to be able to see that armour, but honestly, I would be afraid to put it on and ruin it... If it were a replica, I would love to put it on undoubtedly, but the original would be more worried than enjoying the experience. :P

Even for touching it with bare hands, I would be more worried that the grease on my hands could cause rust stains on the metals.

I feel exactly the same way! But they clearly don't
:O

Just like others said, I can't believe that is something that they let people try on and wear. Not that I wouldn't want to hold a Peter Lyon original if given a chance (with gloves of course).

Upon searching Budk's site (I check daily for new stuff) I saw 3 new listings

Gandalf's white staff
Uruk-hai scimitar
Sauron 1:1 helm - limited to 50 pcs with One Ring

Still surprised the mini Shards of Narsil isn't listed yet as it is already on UC page.
https://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDe ... 600&cat=LR
Or anything about the Guthwine scabbard as I thought it was due out already.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:13 am Just like others said, I can't believe that is something that they let people try on and wear. Not that I wouldn't want to hold a Peter Lyon original if given a chance (with gloves of course).

Upon searching Budk's site (I check daily for new stuff) I saw 3 new listings

Gandalf's white staff
Uruk-hai scimitar

Still surprised the mini Shards of Narsil isn't listed yet as it is already on UC page.
https://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDe ... 600&cat=LR
Or anything about the Guthwine scabbard as I thought it was due out already.
Where did you see the new listings? I generally check daily as well for the same reason, but I didn't see anything in the LOTR section or Pre-Sale/Coming soon.

Cirdan23 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:52 am
Where did you see the new listings? I generally check daily as well for the same reason, but I didn't see anything in the LOTR section or Pre-Sale/Coming soon.
I have access to the wholesale website for Budk and they are on there, but unable to order. Just the listing. I did check the regular site and they are not there as I did check each item in the search bar.

But this is usually the indication that they are on the way.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:13 am Upon searching Budk's site (I check daily for new stuff) I saw 3 new listings

Gandalf's white staff
Uruk-hai scimitar
Interesting. That Sauron helm with the One Ring was something UC made around 2 years ago. Maybe Budk bought them all and held on to them.

I'll check, but I don't think any new white staffs are inbound. I know UC was not happy with the quality of the last run, so they want to move it to their primary polyresin factory that does all of the big replicas. I suggested they update the paint finish from bone white to the white with gray streaks like the prop finish. I would also like to ditch that little metal wall mount and change to the same style polyresin mount as all the other Gandalf staffs, but none of that has happened yet.

I mentioned the Uruk-hai scimitar was being reissued here a while back. Since it had to be re-tooled I took the opportunity to make the tip spike angle 90 degrees, like most of the on-screen Uruk swords looked in TTT, rather than the shape it was on the original UC replica. I also reduced the size of that huge wall plaque. I think those are still several months away from shipping.

The Eomer scabbards were in production in November, so they may be on the way to UC's warehouse. I am meeting with UC this week so I'll see if there is an ETA.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:29 pm
I'll check, but I don't think any new white staffs are inbound. I know UC was not happy with the quality of the last run, so they want to move it to their primary polyresin factory that does all of the big replicas. I suggested they update the paint finish from bone white to the white with gray streaks like the prop finish. I would also like to ditch that little metal wall mount and change to the same style polyresin mount as all the other Gandalf staffs, but none of that has happened yet.
How confident are you that this will eventually happen? I've been waiting for years and years now to replace my original metal crown staff with chipped paint and was told the resin one that came out later was far from perfect too. If this new one with the new improvements does come out, that's the one I will finally get. I assume it will come in two pieces again to keep shipping costs down?
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:58 pm How confident are you that this will eventually happen?
I'll know in a few days.
Valkrist wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:58 pm I've been waiting for years and years now to replace my original metal crown staff with chipped paint and was told the resin one that came out later was far from perfect too. If this new one with the new improvements does come out, that's the one I will finally get. I assume it will come in two pieces again to keep shipping costs down?
Yes, it will always be two pieces.

The original metal one was garbage. The original resin and wood one was quite nice. I wish I had gotten a few more of those at the time. The quality went down for the 2012 reissue, which had a new mold that was not very accurate. The 2019 reissue was shaped correctly, but had QC issues.
KRDS

I also bought the white staff second hand, I spent just a little more than if I had bought it new, but the worst thing is that after asking the seller if it was a first edition made of metal that the paint cracked, he told me it was of resin and that the paint is fine. But even if it was one of the resin ones, it came to me with cracked paint between the head and the stick of the staff, all around the seam. The seller made the excuse that it was not like this when he sent it and that it was due to transport, I don't know if it was true, in the photo that he had online of the replica among the entire collection, it had little resolution and it was not possible to see if the painting was in perfect condition.

The truth is that I regret the second-hand purchases I made... except maybe the two discontinued axes, but time will tell.

I'm glad they will be relaunched, only I'm upset with myself because I should have been more patient and bought them new. I would have had the new and better Strider scabbard and white staff. I guess this is a lesson I have to learn as a new collector.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:13 am Upon searching Budk's site (I check daily for new stuff) I saw 3 new listings

Gandalf's white staff
Uruk-hai scimitar
Checked with UC. The Uruk reissue will be coming early this year, but the others are wrong. Probably something flagged wrong on BudK making old items pop up as new?

The Eomer scabbard is on the way and should be in stock next month.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 pm

Gandalf's white staff
Uruk-hai scimitar
Checked with UC. The Uruk reissue will be coming early this year, but the others are wrong. Probably something flagged wrong on BudK making old items pop up as new?

The Eomer scabbard is on the way and should be in stock next month.
That's good news on the scabbard, been looking forward to that one for awhile. I may pick up one of the new GTW staffs as well if we get the grey streaking.

Since the Uruk-hai release is coming with a redesign in the blade tip, will you be receiving a production sample? I'd definitely pick up one of the new ones and age the crap out of my old one if that's the case.

But would like to know for sure before doing so.

Any other news from UC? Or just the stuff we know about moving forward?

MC Anduril
Boromir dagger
Gimli axes
Faramir's sword
Aeglos

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:09 pm Probably (hopefully) by Christmas, but who knows.
So you're saying there's a chance! :crazy:

(Name that movie)

Alright, when my new collection room is finished in two months , I'll be sure to not put up my old staff in anticipation of the new one. Hopefully they approve changing the mount.

I don't suppose you could ever convince UC to revisit Saruman's staff? Or did the Weta one kill any chances of that? Personally, I still think there's a market for it, but maybe I'm just projecting. I have the original, and it's ok as placeholder, but very inaccurate, as you've mentioned before.
This Space for Rent

N2darkness wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:38 pm Since the Uruk-hai release is coming with a redesign in the blade tip, will you be receiving a production sample? I'd definitely pick up one of the new ones and age the crap out of my old one if that's the case.
I approved a sample several months ago. I'll post a few photos.
N2darkness wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:38 pm Any other news from UC? Or just the stuff we know about moving forward?

MC Anduril
Boromir dagger
Gimli axes
Faramir's sword
Aeglos
Lots of new things are on the development list, but not a lot that I can really talk about yet, other than what I have already mentioned and a few reissues -
The rest of the Witchking helm limited edition will be made, but the crown spikes may ship unassembled on those. Probably magnetic attachment, like what Weta does on some limbs and attachments.
The rest of the prologue elf helm edition will be made.
The Legolas scabbards may finally be reissued. The tooling will have to be remade, so I will take that opportunity to get rid of that legal notice that was cast into the mold on the back!

Sting will be re-tooled to match the more accurate MC version shape for the blue-bladed version, so that one is a long way off now.
The functional brass/spring steel Herugrim is going forward, and possibly Guthwine and Eowyn's Rohan swords if that does well. Several projects I am working on are new versions of replicas UC has already made like that, so probably not much interest in those from our group here, but there are several new replicas in the works as well. More work than I have time to do in the time they would like them really, but that's probably a good thing for collector's cash flow!
Last edited by Nasnandos on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KRDS

Valkrist wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:41 pm So you're saying there's a chance! :crazy:
I'm saying there is a more than a slight hint of a possibility that what I said may inevitably come to fruition one day in the future...probably.
Valkrist wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:41 pm Hopefully they approve changing the mount.
They were all for that.
Valkrist wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:41 pm I don't suppose you could ever convince UC to revisit Saruman's staff? Or did the Weta one kill any chances of that? Personally, I still think there's a market for it, but maybe I'm just projecting. I have the original, and it's ok as placeholder, but very inaccurate, as you've mentioned before.
The last time I brought it up they had no interest in doing it. Probably because Weta had just released their version at the time. I plan on bringing it up again after the new white staff gets rolling, but my guess is that even if they do want to proceed, it will be in wood and resin, not steel and glass.
KRDS

That's just the way the office lights are reflecting off the blade. It's the same blade and fuller from the previous prototype.

The plaque on the left is for the Strider knife reissue. They lost the original silk screen art, so it had to be recreated. I made it slightly different, just to have something easy to spot between the original and reissue for United and the collectors. I have spent quite a lot of time over the past few years recreating old pieces of art like that. It gives me a bizarre feeling of déjà vu working on things that I or my staff originally drew around 20 years ago!
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:19 am That's just the way the office lights are reflecting off the blade. It's the same blade and fuller from the previous prototype.

The plaque on the left is for the Strider knife reissue. They lost the original silk screen art, so it had to be recreated. I made it slightly different, just to have something easy to spot between the original and reissue for United and the collectors. I have spent quite a lot of time over the past few years recreating old pieces of art like that. It gives me a bizarre feeling of déjà vu working on things that I or my staff originally drew around 20 years ago!

What will the new elven knife of Strider handle be made from? My handle split a few years back due to the climate I'm in. Also, how would one take apart the scabbard? I've noticed what looks like a pin through the tip of the scabbard so idk how I'd go with taking mine apart to replace the leather.
Anar Nányë Andúril i né Narsil i macil Elendilo. Lercuvanten i móli Mordórëo. Isil

Night_Owl_117 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:27 am What will the new elven knife of Strider handle be made from? My handle split a few years back due to the climate I'm in.
Plastic with a printed and hydro dipped wood grain pattern, just like the current Sting and Legolas knife grips. The days of making those in wood are long gone. I think the Arwen sword is the only holdout that's still wood.
Night_Owl_117 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:27 am Also, how would one take apart the scabbard? I've noticed what looks like a pin through the tip of the scabbard so idk how I'd go with taking mine apart to replace the leather.
I think I just designed the throat locket to be epoxied on. The chape was pinned on. I made those two triangular shaped parts on the chape cast with pins that extend into the wood core, and they were epoxied in place. At least I think that's how I designed it. I have not cracked one of those scabbards open in many years.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:14 am Lots of new things are on the development list, but not a lot that I can really talk about yet, other than what I have already mentioned and a few reissues -
The rest of the Witchking helm limited edition will be made, but the crown spikes may ship unassembled on those. Probably magnetic attachment, like what Weta does on some limbs and attachments.
The rest of the prologue elf helm edition will be made.
The Legolas scabbards may finally be reissued. The tooling will have to be remade, so I will take that opportunity to get rid of that legal notice that was cast into the mold on the back!

Sting will be re-tooled to match the more accurate MC version shape for the blue-bladed version, so that one is a long way off now.
The functional brass/spring steel Herugrim is going forward, and possibly Guthwine and Eowyn's Rohan swords if that does well. Several projects I am working on are new versions of replicas UC has already made like that, so probably not much interest in those from our group here, but there are several new replicas in the works as well. More work than I have time to do in the time they would like them really, but that's probably a good thing for collector's cash flow!
That's so great to hear, I'm glad I didn't spring for the prologue helm I saw on eBay last month.

Kit, have you or UC ever considered creating wall mounts for past, current, or upcoming scabbards?

I know you've mentioned that scabbards have become as expensive to produce as swords, and the last thing anyone wants is for costs to go up even more, but I wonder how many of us would prefer to have an easy and convenient way to display every scabbard next to its sword without having to get creative. UC could go with something as simple as Thranduil's sword frog mount, or a bit more elaborate, like the Horn of Gondor mount.

Any thoughts on this? I think there are enough scabbards out there to maybe make this feasible, or do you disagree? They could even be sold separately, like the UC helm stands.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:24 pm Kit, have you or UC ever considered creating wall mounts for past, current, or upcoming scabbards?
We talked a bit about that last year. We also talked about adding extra pre drilled holes to the back side of the displays so the L screws could be positioned wider to hold the sword-in-scabbard. There are a lot of collectors who don't want the blades covered and would not display that way though. And it's no help to people who already own the swords, just future owners.

We did talk about doing a little wall mount hanger, but based on how I last heard the helm display stands were selling, I doubt UC will want to do any more after-market displays like that. No one is buying them. The only way it would work is if a simple wall mount was included with the scabbards, but I'm not sure we can come up with something that would work for all the scabbards.
KRDS

Really? The helm stands aren't selling at all? I thought there would be a better demand for them. I often see helms for sale where the person says the stand is missing, and this fixes that problem neatly. The only detail missing would be the little medallion with the item name. I'm close to ordering two myself because I have two custom helms from Andrew H. and want to unify their stands with the UC look.

Yeah, for the scabbards, individual mounts would have to be customized to each scabbard because universal ones wouldn't work with all of them (Orcrist, I'm looking at you). Of course, cost would go up considerably if customizing them. Pity, because I would totally buy them, and yes, it would have to be a solution that's backwards compatible for collectors rather than something specific to reissues and new releases only.

Ah well, it was a nice thought while it lasted. :'(
This Space for Rent

I ordered one of the new helm stands with my Eomer scabbard to potentially use it on the Theoden crown as a base. But also surprised that they aren't more popular.

I also agree with Val, that some sort of a universal scabbard holder would be nice to have. They are after all one of the most difficult things to try and display next to your sword. As some have straps or loops and then others don't.

I've have to get rather creative to make it work as well as keep it almost hidden (not something everyone needs).

But something that was big enough to work like this would be great.
I know my situation is rather different than others with using french cleats as everything has to be custom made for each piece, but I do use the polyresin holders the staves all use.

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:23 am Have any of you received your Eomer scabbards? I received two from production yesterday and both are too tight to fit the sword. They were 100% inspected at the factory, so I assume it's a wood shrinkage issue on this side. Or probably just my back luck returning.
I got mine yesterday and it does fit a bit snug but goes all the way in. The horses line up a bit better on the back than the front (maybe a millimeter off). Only a couple minor blemishes, but one of the best scabbards produced IMO to date.

But, my original Anduril scabbard only fits about 85% the way. Could definitely be humidity. Rev showed a video on Instagram of one from his first shipment and it easily slid all the way down and tipped upside down without failing out.

N2darkness wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:34 am I got mine yesterday and it does fit a bit snug but goes all the way in. The horses line up a bit better on the back than the front (maybe a millimeter off). Only a couple minor blemishes, but one of the best scabbards produced IMO to date.
Maybe it's not a widespread issue then. The locket looks better on your scabbard than the two I received. The brass polishing was barely done, so both lockets are too dark.

There has always been a 1-2% loss on scabbards because of wood variability and blade tolerances, but wood supply has been an issue recently and shrinkage has been a massive problem for scabbards in the past year. Particularly for UC's Honshu swords. I cut apart both Eomer scabbards to see where it was binding , and by how much. The hole width is almost 1mm smaller inside than the sword blade width, so that's not a good sign. Maybe I got a couple of bad ones from the same lot, but UC is going to spot check them to see if they can find any more.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:19 am I know scabbard cores are traditionally made from wood, but due to the variability in the material being so thin. I'm surprised vacuum formed Kydex or something similar isn't used to keep this type of thing from happening and increase repeatability.
When we started making LOTR scabbards way back around 2001, Kydex was not used in production, and definitely not in Taiwan or China. We were actually mimicking the look of Kydex with injection molded sheaths in the 1990s. It was just becoming a hot trend in the custom knifemaker market at the time. We could not find a factory who used it, so we just faked the look in plastic. We did eventually look at testing some Kydex sword scabbards, but the sheet forming process really only lends itself to sandwiching two pieces together with rivets on the sides, or a fold over with rivets on one side. I was not workable to form it with a complete fold around like the LOTR scabbards needed, especially with an unconnected joint on the back side. Kydex sheet was also more expensive than wood at the time, and it would have been a tolerancing nightmare to make it fit precisely to the cast metal chapes and lockets.
TMcLim wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:52 am Yes me too, I would have thought they would be a plastic synthetic material.
UC's factory would love it if we would injection mold the sword scabbards, like we did with Sting, but the tooling cost for an injection mold that large is astronomical. Long, thin plastic parts like that also have deflection issue when they cool. You don't want an LOTR scabbard that looks like a banana!
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:16 am When we started making LOTR scabbards way back around 2001, Kydex was not used in production, and definitely not in Taiwan or China. We were actually mimicking the look of Kydex with injection molded sheaths in the 1990s. It was just becoming a hot trend in the custom knifemaker market at the time. We could not find a factory who used it, so we just faked the look in plastic. We did eventually look at testing some Kydex sword scabbards, but the sheet forming process really only lends itself to sandwiching two pieces together with rivets on the sides, or a fold over with rivets on one side. I was not workable to form it with a complete fold around like the LOTR scabbards needed, especially with an unconnected joint on the back side. Kydex sheet was also more expensive than wood at the time, and it would have been a tolerancing nightmare to make it fit precisely to the cast metal chapes and lockets.
I know that is how a lot of custom knife makers make their sheaths from Kydex at home, by heating, bending and riveting.

But I think Thranduil made his Theoden scabbard from (ABS?) by vacuum forming 2 halves and then gluing them together with industrial hot meld with a very thin seam (about as much as the wooden cores would use)

Having bucks and vacuuming would have to cost thousands less then injection molding, but could add in some extra labor costs compared to wood milling. Especially with the additional fuller ribs, it would add a lot of tensile strength to keep it straight.

Something I plan on trying this someday as I bought a sheet of 1/16" Kydex a few years back to try. It's just heating up something 3'-4' long becomes an issue at home without building something custom.

N2darkness wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:56 am Having bucks and vacuuming would have to cost thousands less then injection molding, but could add in some extra labor costs compared to wood milling. Especially with the additional fuller ribs, it would add a lot of tensile strength to keep it straight.
Thin kydex can be vacuum formed easily, including the ribs, but then you have to trim it and glue the two halves together. Adding in labor and the high cost of Kydex, it was more expensive than making them out of wood. That's why we looked at wrap forming Kydex, but that did not work well either. This was over 10 years ago though, so it may be worth looking at again.
KRDS

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”