Re: United Cutlery's - LOTR & The Hobbit - Movie Props!

pfrith87 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:23 am Well, I'm still inside the return window, so I might try an exchange in the hopes that the replacement is better aligned before trying to re-rivet the thing. Certainly wouldn't be a bad skill to pick up though - I might look into it in the future.

Thanks!
The exchange process was relatively painless, but unfortunately the replacement had the same issue - in fact, I think problem is even more pronounced on this one.
new_elendil_front_small.jpg
I examined this one a bit closer than the previous, and I think I see what's going on. There is a ridge that runs the length of the helmet from front to back to which the crests are aligned, and at the peak this ridge takes off at an angle instead of continuing in a straight line.
elendil_top.jpg
At this point I'm just going to return it and bank on this problem being fixed in the next batch, and maybe this information will help towards that end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pfrith87 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:46 am
pfrith87 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:23 am Well, I'm still inside the return window, so I might try an exchange in the hopes that the replacement is better aligned before trying to re-rivet the thing. Certainly wouldn't be a bad skill to pick up though - I might look into it in the future.

Thanks!
The exchange process was relatively painless, but unfortunately the replacement had the same issue - in fact, I think problem is even more pronounced on this one.

I examined this one a bit closer than the previous, and I think I see what's going on. There is a ridge that runs the length of the helmet from front to back to which the crests are aligned, and at the peak this ridge takes off at an angle instead of continuing in a straight line.

elendil_top.jpg

At this point I'm just going to return it and bank on this problem being fixed in the next batch, and maybe this information will help towards that end.
That's really bad. I can excuse a few mm of misalignment but that's ridiculous. This is why I've avoided the metal helm reissues despite waiting for them for so long. Hopefully it all gets corrected in future batches.

Ronin wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:10 pm

Thanks!

elendil_top.jpg

That's really bad. I can excuse a few mm of misalignment but that's ridiculous. This is why I've avoided the metal helm reissues despite waiting for them for so long. Hopefully it all gets corrected in future batches.
Agreed on this one. Personally, I would even accept that level of misalignment on the rear crest, but when it's front and center...

I will note that I also picked up the Gondorian helm and Isildur's helm fairly recently, and both of those are aesthetically pleasing if that helps at all. I'm especially impressed with the Gondorian helm - I honestly though it was pretty plain looking just based on the photos, but in the hand it's an absolute work of art.

pfrith87 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:21 am
Ronin wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:10 pm

elendil_top.jpg

Agreed on this one. Personally, I would even accept that level of misalignment on the rear crest, but when it's front and center...

I will note that I also picked up the Gondorian helm and Isildur's helm fairly recently, and both of those are aesthetically pleasing if that helps at all. I'm especially impressed with the Gondorian helm - I honestly though it was pretty plain looking just based on the photos, but in the hand it's an absolute work of art.
Okay, good to know! The Gondorian helm had an issue with some unsightly rivets but I believe it's been corrected in the latest batch. Might have to pick it up along with Isildur.

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:38 am Just noticed that UC1381LTNB the scabbard to Legolas's daggers just showed up on Budk, so they should be rereleased fairly soon for any that were looking to pick them up.
I'm not sure how that is possible, unless BudK has some old stock? UC is not making a new run. In fact, they just recently learned that they don't have tooling for it. It was either too damaged to use or lost, I can't recall now. The old UC CAD drawings are long gone so they asked me to create new drawings, since I still own the prop. I was looking forward to getting rid of that ugly legal notice in the casting!

Anyway, they may not even bring it back. Depends on the cost.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:25 am
N2darkness wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:38 am Just noticed that UC1381LTNB the scabbard to Legolas's daggers just showed up on Budk, so they should be rereleased fairly soon for any that were looking to pick them up.
I'm not sure how that is possible, unless BudK has some old stock? UC is not making a new run. In fact, they just recently learned that they don't have tooling for it. It was either too damaged to use or lost, I can't recall now. The old UC CAD drawings are long gone so they asked me to create new drawings, since I still own the prop. I was looking forward to getting rid of that ugly legal notice in the casting!

Anyway, they may not even bring it back. Depends on the cost.
I'm not sure, but it's just the item page and nothing is in stock and no potential date for future stock. The same for the Gandalf the White staff. I check their listings and do searches everyday just to check for new items and this popped up.

DracoAdamantus wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:19 am I'm attempting to restore another UC item, specifically the wooden plaque, which had the metallic decorum on the surface significantly worn off. Does Kit or anyone here know the specific paint/color tone used for those so I can touch it up?
UC's various LOTR factories were given a specific PMS color for the gold silk screen in the beginning, but 5 or 6 different colors of gold have been used over the years. It sometimes changed from one run to the next, even at the same factory. I don't think the color has been consistent since around 2003, so you would have to find a gold paint match to the specific gold on your plaque.
KRDS

N2darkness wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:32 am I'm not sure, but it's just the item page and nothing is in stock and no potential date for future stock. The same for the Gandalf the White staff. I check their listings and do searches everyday just to check for new items and this popped up.
It sounds like someone at BudK has peeked at UC's idea or development list and is setting up placeholders for future products, thinking they are confirmed.

UC is moving the white staff to their regular LOTR polyresin factory, so that's actually coming back late this year or early next. I was told about it, so I suggested they get rid of that metal bracket and go with one of the modern poly displays to match the other UC staffs. I also suggested they upgrade the paint finish so that it's not just bone white, but has some of the wood grain streaks in it like the prop. It's the same factory that made the Boromir horn, so I know they can do it, but I have not seen a sample yet.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:44 am
UC is moving the white staff to their regular LOTR polyresin factory, so that's actually coming back late this year or early next. I was told about it, so I suggested they get rid of that metal bracket and go with one of the modern poly displays to match the other UC staffs. I also suggested they upgrade the paint finish so that it's not just bone white, but has some of the wood grain streaks in it like the prop. It's the same factory that made the Boromir horn, so I know they can do it, but I have not seen a sample yet.
Good thing I just read this as I'm getting ready to set up my new collection room and have always wanted a better version than my original White staff with the metal crown and chipped paint. I've read several times that the subsequent resin crown releases had their own issues. How likely is it that they will follow your suggestions, Kit, especially around changing out the bracket? If they're changing that, I'll definitely hold off on putting the old one and just swapping staves later since the mount might be different. Also, I'm assuming it will come in two pieces, like the original?
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:39 pm How likely is it that they will follow your suggestions, Kit, especially around changing out the bracket? If they're changing that, I'll definitely hold off on putting the old one and just swapping staves later since the mount might be different. Also, I'm assuming it will come in two pieces, like the original?
Yes, two pieces. The original UC poly one was near perfect. The joint was so finely cut that the it was almost invisible, but I'm not sure this factory can do it that well. They can definitely do better paint.

I have already seen photos of the prototype with the new wall mount. It's the exact same mount as the pipe staff. They used my 3D model of the crown, so that part is looking good. They still need to work on smoothing out the shape where the crown meets the shaft, so it's still going to be a while before I have something approvable before it goes into production.
KRDS

AlexMar wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:37 am Forgive my impatience, but is there any more info or maybe any new pictures for the MC Anduril and pictures for the new Isildur sword that could be shown? :D :D
Sorry, no new images. The sword is essentially approved and ready to go into production, but I am still waiting for UC's factory to send me one more part from the display that needed some finish corrections. Basically all the pieces are ready to go into production except that.

For the Isildur sword reissue...uhg. I have just about given up on that one. It's made by a different factory than most of the other LOTR swords and they have been struggling to get it right.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:53 am
AlexMar wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:37 am Forgive my impatience, but is there any more info or maybe any new pictures for the MC Anduril and pictures for the new Isildur sword that could be shown? :D :D
Sorry, no new images. The sword is essentially approved and ready to go into production, but I am still waiting for UC's factory to send me one more part from the display that needed some finish corrections. Basically all the pieces are ready to go into production except that.

For the Isildur sword reissue...uhg. I have just about given up on that one. It's made by a different factory than most of the other LOTR swords and they have been struggling to get it right.
Glad to hear the MC Anduril is almost ready to go into production !

Is it possible the Isildur sword reissue is getting canceled due to these issues, no other solution to be found? :(

Nasnandos wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:53 am

Wow!!! is it possible that Isildur´s sword get cancelled??? Thinking about getting one...

Ronin wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:33 pm Looks like the Legolas scabbards have been "unlisted". I'm not surprised considering Kit stated there were no plans to reissue them. Ah well. Maybe one day.

Interestingly, Smith Blades mentioned in his last email that he would be taking preorders for them once a release date was announced. I'm curious... did UC advise distributors that the scabbards were going to be reissued?
He probably saw them on the Budk listing.
KRDS

I watched it this morning over breakfast. I'm always impressed with Weta's weathered finish on aluminum stunt blades.

But Orcrist's design still hasn't grown on me even after all these years. I know it still carries over some designs from Glamdring and Sting, but way too different IMHO.

I have it to complete the troll hoard set, but it feels like the odd piece in my collection. I think other collectors agree as this has been the poorest selling MSSC sword of the series. Will be curious as to what it will go for in the auction.

I was looking for other potential designs Weta had drawn for Orcrist and found this article.

https://www.trueswords.com/united-cutle ... ns-to-life

It is from 2015, but have never read it before. I've often seen numerous times where companies mention "licensor approval" be it from statues, toys or replicas and am very curious if they have ever "not" approved something.

I have no first person knowledge, but it often feels like a rubber stamp and anyone who want to shell out the money for an official license can make whatever they want. Prime examples are ASMUS and Iron Studios!

N2darkness wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:40 pm I was looking for other potential designs Weta had drawn for Orcrist and found this article.
Those are my photos and drawing. I have a vague memory of that. I think there was a video interview done too, but I never saw it.
N2darkness wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:40 pm I've often seen numerous times where companies mention "licensor approval" be it from statues, toys or replicas and am very curious if they have ever "not" approved something.
Many times, but those were usually when the movie/movies were coming out. Things are much more strictly controlled. They want to keep things representative of the brand, keep graphics consistent with all licensees. Just making sure their iP is up to a certain standard. It really depends on the licensor though. Some care, some don't. Sometimes a studio will have a good licensing team for a few years, then they down size or hire people who have zero knowledge of the properties. Then the whole studio get bought and sold, they can everyone, and start over. It goes in cycles with some movie companies.

It always amazes me when we present a new product idea to a certain licensor and they have no idea what the thing is. I have to explain it to them, cite references from their own film, show them their own prop photos, et cetera. Then when it comes to marketing copy for the packaging, COAs, et cetera, they want to know where we go the info. It's a bit sad when I know the property better than the licensor.
N2darkness wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:40 pm I have no first person knowledge, but it often feels like a rubber stamp and anyone who want to shell out the money for an official license can make whatever they want. Prime examples are ASMUS and Iron Studios!
The older the license it, the looser things seem to get. At this point, there is a certain movie company that is not doing great financially that I think will happily license whatever you want, within reason, if it means more $$$ coming in to them for an old property.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:23 pm
It always amazes me when we present a new product idea to a certain licensor and they have no idea what the thing is. I have to explain it to them, cite references from their own film, show them their own prop photos, et cetera. Then when it comes to marketing copy for the packaging, COAs, et cetera, they want to know where we go the info. It's a bit sad when I know the property better than the licensor.
That's crazy, but completely believable that the company that owns these franchises don't know what they have. It just shows how corporate they have become, but also in turn are loosing out on a bunch of money by not marketing it correctly to the people who actually have the interest in their IP. Thanks for the further insight into this crazy business!

Nasnandos wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:51 am That was an "available now" notice, not a tease. They should be shipping early next week. I looked at a few of them the day the shipment came in.
Great news!! Thank you. :D

I also see that Fili's sword is finally in stock in BUDK. :)

As soon as they are available at Castle Kon I will place the order, with also the white Glamdring scabbard to complete the order.

N2darkness wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:24 pm Received my Faramir's sword today. What a great piece and very happy to have it in my collection.

Only a couple of nit pics, the fuller grind is a bit uneven as well as the false edge (you can feel it when you run your hands down the edge) but nothing I'd exchange for. Can't wait to get it hung up on the wall.
Nice! Mine arrives on Monday. :thumbs_up

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Valkrist wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:53 pm Andrew, could you give me the plaque dimensions as if you fitting it into a square shape? I'm currently putting my swords on my walls and space is very limited but I do want to plan for this sword and make sure I have space for it prepared ahead of time. Oh, and the sword length also, please. Thank you! :thumbs_up
The sword length is 42" inches
The plaque is 13 3/8" x 11 1/4" or the box it comes in as I didn't open it, but should be slightly over.

N2darkness wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:24 pm Received my Faramir's sword today. What a great piece and very happy to have it in my collection.

Only a couple of nit pics, the fuller grind is a bit uneven as well as the false edge (you can feel it when you run your hands down the edge) but nothing I'd exchange for. Can't wait to get it hung up on the wall.
:inlove:
It looks great! Congratulation on your addition.
I can't wait to get one my self :crazy:
Last edited by EagleFriend on Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

StrongWithGod wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:28 pm I woke up this morning realising that still need those to be done...UC so far delivered what I wanted (and more) but...desire knows no bundary....
This wall would be a-we-so-me
Agreed! :cheers:
I love Denethor's sword... and Gondorian infantry sword? Why not :)
I still can't belive that we got Guthwine and Faramir's sword... Those were just distant dreams just a few yaers ago.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present."

Denethor's sword is still on the UC list to develop at some point, but not the Gondorian sword. Very little interest in that one. The UC crew had interest in Denethor's sword until I showed them a closeup of the hilt. The prop pommel is very rough, not symmetrical, and looks unfinished. I don't think it was ever intended to be seen up close, but I have not had time to show UC what it could look like in a more finished form.

These are the other bladed replicas on the UC idea list, for anyone interested:
The remaining Hobbit Weathertop swords
third Ringwraith sword
Haldir's sword
Merry and Pippin's Lorien knives
Gimli's throwing axes‬
Sword of Sauron

With the way the market is currently, we are waiting to see how the Faramir sword sells. No decision has been made on which one to do next, but I expect there will be some social media polling.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:48 am Denethor's sword is still on the UC list to develop at some point, but not the Gondorian sword. Very little interest in that one. The UC crew had interest in Denethor's sword until I showed them a closeup of the hilt. The prop pommel is very rough, not symmetrical, and looks unfinished. I don't think it was ever intended to be seen up close, but I have not had time to show UC what it could look like in a more finished form.

third Ringwraith sword
Haldir's sword
Gimli's throwing axes‬
Sword of Sauron

With the way the market is currently, we are waiting to see how the Faramir sword sells. No decision has been made on which one to do next, but I expect there will be some social media polling.
Nice. If I could choose in order by interest:

1. Hobbit swords
2. Haldir sword
3. Ringwraith sword
4. Gimli axes
5. Lorien knives
6. Sauron sword

I was hoping the Loth bow would be on UC's list too. I know the community wants it and I'm sure UC is aware of that. I'm guessing there's some development obstacles with that particular replica? Or perhaps some manufacturing hurdles?

Ronin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:13 am I was hoping the Loth bow would be on UC's list too. I know the community wants it and I'm sure UC is aware of that. I'm guessing there's some development obstacles with that particular replica? Or perhaps some manufacturing hurdles?
It is, but that was just the current bladed replicas list :)

No development hurdles at all with that bow, other than the cost due to the quiver and arrows I want to include. It's just that UC has not given it the green light yet. There is a lot going on in their polyresin prop replica development at the moment.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:38 am
Ronin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:13 am I was hoping the Loth bow would be on UC's list too. I know the community wants it and I'm sure UC is aware of that. I'm guessing there's some development obstacles with that particular replica? Or perhaps some manufacturing hurdles?

No development hurdles at all with that bow, other than the cost due to the quiver and arrows I want to include. It's just that UC has not given it the green light yet. There is a lot going on in their polyresin prop replica development at the moment.
Heck yeah! Quiver and arrows too would be epic. You da man, Kit.

Nasnandos wrote: It is, but that was just the current bladed replicas list :)

That's always great to hear! It's my most wanted piece for my collection! And always hope it's a "when" and not "if" it will get made. Even if they called it "deluxe" and had a higher price tag I think it would still do well as the aftermarket HCG version is insane! Over 2k and usually more!

Is there another list for other polyresin items as well, besides:
Aeglos
HEW helm rerelease
Witchking helm rerelease
Gandalf the White staff rerelease

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:48 am Denethor's sword is still on the UC list to develop at some point, but not the Gondorian sword. Very little interest in that one. The UC crew had interest in Denethor's sword until I showed them a closeup of the hilt. The prop pommel is very rough, not symmetrical, and looks unfinished. I don't think it was ever intended to be seen up close, but I have not had time to show UC what it could look like in a more finished form.

third Ringwraith sword
Haldir's sword
Gimli's throwing axes‬
Sword of Sauron

I had thought that Gimli's axes were already in development? Previous comments that they were already priced out and decided to be done separately. Must be the case that design and cost breakdown are done, but no green light?
Also, I'm down with everything on that list. Especially anything we can get for some sort of representation of Merry and Pippin as there are the gaping hole in our Fellowship collections.

Also, what kind of numbers (in sales or units sold) is considered successful for more items to be made? Like Eomer's sword to get the scabbard made, or the scabbard sales to get Theoden's approved, etc.

third Ringwraith sword
Haldir's sword
Gimli's throwing axes‬
Sword of Sauron

Thank you very much for the list of possible future releases!. :D

I hope Faramir's sword sells very well and UC continue with all that.

I already have mine on the way. According to the tracking, just today it has just landed in Lisbon, from where it will pass through Madrid in one or two days and from there, it will fly directly to the Canary Islands …and then, I will have to wait weeks to pass the customs, even a few months if they are very saturated. But hey, at least it's on the road! :P
Ronin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:13 am Nice. If I could choose in order by interest:

1. Hobbit swords
2. Haldir sword
3. Ringwraith sword
4. Gimli axes
5. Lorien knives
6. Sauron sword

I was hoping the Loth bow would be on UC's list too. I know the community wants it and I'm sure UC is aware of that. I'm guessing there's some development obstacles with that particular replica? Or perhaps some manufacturing hurdles?
Yes, personally I would choose that same order of interest... but really, I will buy them all regardless of the order of release. :crazy:

XerachCruz wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:46 am

third Ringwraith sword
Haldir's sword
Gimli's throwing axes‬
Sword of Sauron

Thank you very much for the list of possible future releases!. :D

I hope Faramir's sword sells very well and UC continue with all that.

I already have mine on the way. According to the tracking, just today it has just landed in Lisbon, from where it will pass through Madrid in one or two days and from there, it will fly directly to the Canary Islands …and then, I will have to wait weeks to pass the customs, even a few months if they are very saturated. But hey, at least it's on the road! :P
Ronin wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:13 am Nice. If I could choose in order by interest:

1. Hobbit swords
2. Haldir sword
3. Ringwraith sword
4. Gimli axes
5. Lorien knives
6. Sauron sword

Yes, personally I would choose that same order of interest... but really, I will buy them all regardless of the order of release. :crazy:
Same here haha.

Nasnandos wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:38 am

The Lothlórien bow with quiver and arrows would be spectacular!... One of the few polyresin replicas I would not hesitate to buy. I hope that the UC is encouraged to release it.

In polyresin I have only bought the 4 Gandalf's staffs, and I'm only thinking of buying the Horn of Gondor and I would like the High Elf Helmet when it's re-released (I need to find a place to display it first). But if UC finally released the Lothlórien bow, it would be a instant buy for me.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”