The Expanse

I don't recall whether we've ever discussed this show, but it was a great sci-fi series. The first three seasons aired on SyFy and the second three on Amazon Prime. Hopefully someday someone will pick it up again and film the last three books.

In the meantime, lo and behold, the entire existing series is going to be released in a BluRay box on Nov 14! I've been dreaming about this since I watched the series last year. At that time, only the SyFy seasons were available on disc, because of course Amazon wasn't going to put the Prime seasons on physical media. Well, the times they are a changin', apparently, and The Expanse (and its fans) will be the beneficiary of that.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: The Expanse

One of my favorite series. :)

The Expanse is one of the few series that I would buy in physical format, but unfortunately in Spain they have never released it on BluRay and it seems that this new release of the complete series is not going to be launch here either.

I really want to see it again, I saw all the episodes the day they premiered and it's been quite a few years since I saw the first season. Luckily it's still on Prime here (I think it's all the seasons) ...But just in case, I have it downloaded on my hard drive because I can't buy it physically with my language. I always prefer to buy what physically, I already have a collection of around 500 movies (and a few series) on my shelf, but sometimes they don't give you the option of buying them on disc and resorting to downloads is the only way to keep it in case they decide to delete it from the platforms... because one cannot trust the streaming platforms.

I hope one day they release it here on BluyRay too, it will be an instant purchase for me. :)

One of my favourite sci-fi series of all time, right up there with the BSG remake for me. I too hope they film the last three books despite the time jump. Would be a pity not to have a conclusion to the story. Shame what happened with the Alex character also, but the actor brought that on himself. I'm just glad the series was almost over before that became an issue.
This Space for Rent

Olorin wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:27 am I don't recall whether we've ever discussed this show, but it was a great sci-fi series.
Valkrist wrote: One of my favourite sci-fi series of all time, right up there with the BSG remake for me.
XerachCruz wrote:One of my favorite series. :)
Nasnandos wrote: I pre ordered it as soon as it was announced. The final season was a bit of a let down, but It's still one of my favorite sci-fi shows of all time, second to BSG.
Has anyone of you read the books?... If so what so you think of them? and also how does the dramatization hold up to the book version?

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I have not read the books. I have read that the show follows them reasonably closely, although diverging in the minor way that adaptations often do, through combining characters, etc., and sometimes in some more major ways. However, the authors of the book series also served as writers and producers on the show, so presumably those changes were with their blessing.

Have you read the books?
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Olorin wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:08 am I have not read the books. I have read that the show follows them reasonably closely, although diverging in the minor way that adaptations often do, through combining characters, etc., and sometimes in some more major ways. However, the authors of the book series also served as writers and producers on the show, so presumably those changes were with their blessing.

Have you read the books?
I have read the books, and this is an accurate assessment of the adaptation. It’s a series I point to when discussing adaptations done right, but it has its share of deviations from the source. Probably the most significant of these was writing one of the leads out of the show due to external factors, but it remains a strong adaptation that carries the spirit of the original.

The books are definitely worth a read in my opinion, as are the novellas that give insight into what’s going on in other parts of the setting and enhance the main story.

Deimos wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:09 pm Has anyone of you read the books?... If so what so you think of them? and also how does the dramatization hold up to the book version?
The books are excellent, and well worth a read. The tv show follows them closely in some parts, varies in others. In some ways I like what they did in the show better than the books. I think they were just trying to do what worked best in a visual format. The fact that the authors were the ones creating the show made the book deviations feel right, as if this was an alternate universe version of the same story.
KRDS

Deimos wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:09 pm Has anyone of you read the books?... If so what so you think of them? and also how does the dramatization hold up to the book version?
I haven't read the books, I didn't really know them before I started watching the show, but after watching it, they are high on my to-read list.

Olorin wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:08 am I have not read the books. I have read that the show follows them reasonably closely, although diverging in the minor way that adaptations often do, through combining characters, etc., and sometimes in some more major ways. However, the authors of the book series also served as writers and producers on the show, so presumably those changes were with their blessing.

Have you read the books?
No... haven't read them. But because those that HAVE read them give them high marks, I will put them on my ['way too long *sigh*] reading list.

And thanks, everyone, for answering my question. :)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Return to “Media”