Scabbard for Herugrim by War Horse Armory

So one week ago I received my Herugrim scabbard from War Horse Armory, our very own Thranduil. Unfortunately I have been extremely busy so I had just enough time to admire it before tucking it safely with my collection. (The scabbard was very well packaged and suffered no damage while shipping, something some of the large manufactures still seem to have trouble with.) I managed to take a few pics and I've added a link to the images below, but they are not as high quality as I would have liked. That said, on the the review.

My first impression was very positive. It is very clear that it was made with excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail. Both the leather and metal colors are very close to the sword. The metal is much more distressed than the sword, but that is its purpose: protect the sword, so I actually really like the style it creates. One of the biggest differences is the 'detailing' of the metal, which is much sharper or pronounced in the hilt. Again this adds to the appearance of aging and doesn't bother me at all.

When I finally had some time to really take a close up look, I was able to find some minor drawbacks. The first was when I placed the sword in the scabbard. The throat is a little snug where the leather is folded over and could be easily snagged if care is not taken when sheathing the blade. This is easily avoidable, but the risk IS there. I also felt the leather was a little more bunched than it could have been, but I'm sure it was not easy to do as it is, and it still looks very good (Just me being slightly OCD). There was a small spot in the fold of the leather where the white thread or backing showed, but I was able to color it with a similarly colored marker and its nearly impossible to see now.

The detail of the horse head on the chape looks great, the only thing I was disappointed about was the seam where the two halves of the very end piece were joined is a little more visible than I would have hoped.

I am still a little torn on the 'mounting' system where there were two brackets of sorts for fastening the scabbard to a belt. In my opinion they just don't quite feel like they belong when I hold the scabbard. They are a little thin and the edges are quite straight/sharp while the rest of the designs feel more natural and flowing. If I were to make any suggestions for improvement, I think doing two leather straps (like the UC scabbards) would have been a more appropriate way to handle the rigging.

Overall, it is a fantastic piece, consistent with the look and feel of the collection. The price isn't just a bargain, it's a steal for what you get! Anyone who owns Herugrim should be placing their orders for one of these, and if you don't own Herugrim, you should go buy one so you have a reason to get one of these.

Thank you Thranduil for all your hard work and dedication through this project!
"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws.
It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

Re: Scabbard for Herugrim by War Horse Armory

My Herugrim scabbard arrived Friday. I can't improve upon RosereIII's comprehensive review, so I will simply say that the scabbard is very nice, indeed. It is neatly constructed with obvious skill and attention to detail. I am extremely pleased to add it to my collection.

photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5629&size=big&cat=
photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5630&size=big&cat=
photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5631&size=big&cat=

Kudos to Thranduil for creating this scabbard and making more Rohan collectibles available! Huzzah!
Last edited by Buckeye on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

I figured this would be a good place to post my review of my Herugrim scabbard by War Horse Armory.

First, I just wanted to say what a great e xp erience it was dealing with Thranduil! Very professional and very friendly all the way!

I first contacted Thranduil asking him to put my name on the list for a Herugrim scabbard- which he of course did. He said he would contact me when he was ready and about a month later he asked if I would still like it- to which I said yes. He had it finished and shipped to me within a week complete with tracking.

Shipping was fast and the scabbard was well packaged. Not a single mark of shipping abuse on it. My first thoughts upon pulling the scabbard out was that it was remarkably strong. The scabbard itself was hard and sturdy. The brass fittings are well placed and look like they are never coming off. The detailing on the brass if very well done and in great detail. Knowing this was handmade and hand carved really gives it the appearance of being made by the hand of a Rohan armorer.

As soon as I could I grabbed Herugrim and sheathed it. I have no worries that the scabbard will ever leave a scratch upon the blade. The sword fit in quite nicely and the scabbard held on tight. Absolutely perfect! The leather is a near perfect match for the leather on the handle of Herugrim- and wraps around the body without a single wrinkle.

Overall I couldn't be more pleased. Herugrim and War Horse Armory's scabbard were meant to be together! Thank you so much Thranduil for making this and making it available to me!

Now... for some pictures!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... 5ujvgs.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... ytusfk.jpg

[quote=""Valkrist""]Yes, indeed.

Still waiting on mine, though Thrandy is taking a break from scabbard making as he works on the Theoden helm prototype. :| [/quote]
Ah, no.
I am not taking any breaks from any items.
I break up each day and week working on scabbards, Eomer helm, and Theoden development.
Time is panning out as follows:
Averaging 4 scabbards and one Eomer helm every 3 weeks, with the development of one new stamping tool for the new helm every week.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

[quote=""Finrod Felagund""]Wow.

Wish I'd jumped on these when they were still available.

Stunning work.[/quote]

I don't recall if Thranduil made these a limited run.
Contact him and ask...You might get lucky. ;)

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

[quote=""Valkrist""]I hope not. I'm still waiting for one and I thought I was on the list...[/quote]

I don't think you have anything to be concerned about, Val :rolleye:

The only War Horse Armory limited run of which I know for certain was Eomer's helm.

Interesting. I must have gotten them confused in the other threads, I got the impression he wasn't making these anymore. I may contact him depending on what my next couple paychecks look like. I imagine they aren't cheap, but they look well worth it.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

[quote=""Finrod Felagund""]Interesting. I must have gotten them confused in the other threads, I got the impression he wasn't making these anymore. I may contact him depending on what my next couple paychecks look like. I imagine they aren't cheap, but they look well worth it.[/quote]

Can't recall exact price but I know it was between $110 to $125, plus maybe $15 shipping.

I see you live in Michigan....so does Thranduil.
If you can still get one, you may be able to do a local pick-up , altho' I do not know how far apart you are.
Last edited by Deimos on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[quote=""Finrod Felagund""]Really? I may not have to do all that much negotiating with my checkbook afterall.[/quote]

Yep.
Thrandy chides N2Darkness for making "Props for Peanuts" (catchy business name, no?) ...when he ought to look in the mirror first. :D

But all of here sure are thankful that these folks are making props at all.

Return to “Reviews & Articles”