New Weta everywhere you look!

Well, Comic Con has already dropped a Lord of the Rings bomb. First, Weta revealed their new Gandalf Statue. Then, we got word of Weta's new collector book. Now, the new environment has been unveiled! There's probably more to come as Comic Con unfolds, too. :coolsmile

Here's a link to the new collector's guidebook; basically a catalogue of everything. Everything.

http://www.wetanz.com/the-collector-s-guide-2011

Here's the new Gandalf:

http://www.wetanz.com/gandalf/

And here's a thread with pictures of the new Orthanc Pre-Ruin environment. I can't seem to find much on Weta's site about it, but they do have a making-of page and there's a comparison shot with the original SSW Orthanc. This thing is looking big!
http://www.wetacollectors.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=37503

:thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

[quote=""Valkrist""]Consider one of those Orthancs sold already! :thumbs_up [/quote]

Ditto, squared and cubed. :thumbs_up

Hmmm....really, really nice.....looks like I'll be buying my second environment :) even though my first one (Rivendell) has not yet arrived.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Considering the size of Orthanc, I'm probably not going to be able to afford it. If they do the Open ES again I may pick it up down the road but I have other things on my list. It does look great though, doesn't it? I love the paths around the trees, they add to the color contrast between the pristine grounds and the dark tower.

Placing pre-orders for Weta Pre-Ruin Orthanc coming up tomorrow, 31 July.

Zero-hour for my time zone is 1400 hours. :)

Anyone else going for this? I know Valkrist and Blade Collector are seriously considering it, if not already decided on it.

And I can't imagine N2Darkness NOT glomming onto one a nano-second after pre-order starts. :D

[quote=""Deimos""]Placing pre-orders for Weta Pre-Ruin Orthanc coming up tomorrow, 31 July.

Zero-hour for my time zone is 1400 hours. :)

Anyone else going for this? I know Valkrist and Blade Collector are seriously considering it, if not already decided on it.

And I can't imagine N2Darkness NOT glomming onto one a nano-second after pre-order starts. :D [/quote]

Oh you know it! I have been kicking myself for not ordering the original oh so long ago, back when I thought $95 was too much. :'(

[quote=""N2darkness""]Oh you know it! I have been kicking myself for not ordering the original oh so long ago, back when I thought $95 was too much. :'( [/quote]

I just saw your collection pix over on the Weta collectors' forum. You have

One.

Awesome.

Collection.

And VERY nicely displayed, too. Congratulations!
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]I just saw your collection pix over on the Weta collectors' forum. You have

One.

Awesome.

Collection.

And VERY nicely displayed, too. Congratulations![/quote]
Yup, IMO, N2's got the best hands down :thumbs_up
Presentation A+
Quantity & Quality (Sir Tristam save us) N2D still wins.
And then there's that table of his which takes the cake, or makes a cherry on top, something like that. (Can we get a drooling smiley too?)
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

N2, it looks like you have done what I want to do some day, which is to set up a collectibles display room adjacent to my home theater setup. If I can gt my basement finished some day, I'll put a dedicated home theater with projection TV down there (in the mean time, I'm slumming in the living room w/my whopping plasma). In the adjacent room, I'd like it to be a combination refreshment/collectibles room, sort of like a theater lobby, I guess.

In the mean time, most of my collectibles are already in the basement...packed away in their boxes, sadly.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

[quote=""Olorin""]N2, it looks like you have done what I want to do some day, which is to set up a collectibles display room adjacent to my home theater setup. If I can gt my basement finished some day, I'll put a dedicated home theater with projection TV down there (in the mean time, I'm slumming in the living room w/my whopping plasma). In the adjacent room, I'd like it to be a combination refreshment/collectibles room, sort of like a theater lobby, I guess.

In the mean time, most of my collectibles are already in the basement...packed away in their boxes, sadly.[/quote]

Time to get to work on that basement!!

Yesssss....we gots one, yes we did, the precious Orthanc before Saruman and nasty orcsies ruins it.

Don't know the number, probably not real low since it took me a while to get in. But we did get one. :)

[quote=""Valkrist""]Been trying since 2 PM to order this thing and no luck. Servers are crashing like mad... big surprise. :'( [/quote]

I know, it's so annoying. It took me an hour but I got through finally. Just keep refreshing those pages and adding to the cart. I felt like I had won the lottery when my cart actually had something in it and I could checkout.

You'd THINK they would've avoided this problem again since it happened with Rivendell. Not happy with their IT people.

I hope everyone else who is trying for one is successful....N2D, BC, MorgulMike, and any other forum members.

No doubt Shadow and Flame members helped to crash the servers too. :D

Dang peer pressure!!!

With all this talk about Orthanc and the beauty of the pics, I have decided to enter the realm of WETA collectibles for the first time and I ordered it.

It was pricey, but what sold me was the fact that it isnt coming out till Q1 2012 and I won't be charged until then, I wouldn't have been able to do it right now if I was going to be charged now.

But my confirmation did tell me I got one of the first 400

[quote=""Valkrist""]Blast all of you! I still can't get through. :'( :'( :'([/quote]

Try using Firefox, if you haven't already.

I couldn't get through with IE, but it worked with Firefox. Good Luck!

[quote=""Valkrist""]I don't have Firefox. Curse Weta, how could they be so stupid as to not anticipate this?[/quote]

Oh, they did. They upped their servers before Rivendell and they upped them again before this, but it didn't do much. At least you didn't end up with a dozen of them in your cart this time.

From what I hear, it wasn't much better in the days of SSW....setting Sideshow's servers on fire everytime a new product came out.

[quote=""Valkrist""]Nevermind, got it!!! Colour me happy! :crazy: [/quote]

Congrats to Valkrist...another successful buyer!

Wonder where N2Darkness is?
Haven't heard from him through all this mayhem and frustration.

Hope he got one too and is just being modest about it. :D

[quote=""Deimos""]Congrats to Valkrist...another successful buyer!

Wonder where N2Darkness is?
Haven't heard from him through all this mayhem and frustration.

Hope he got one too and is just being modest about it. :D [/quote]

No, I got mine :) and it took almost an hour to get through :| and then went out to enjoy a little bit of the sunshine. Glad everyone got one that wanted one. Hopefully things will go a little better on there next piece.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Did you get one, Deimos?[/quote]

Aye, Fin me boy, that I did. :)

Go back a page or two and see my post following Val's first scream of frustration, and right before Arwyniel's post of success.

Took me over an hour to get through, tho'.

[quote=""BladeCollector""]...I guess I was just lucky and one of the ones that was causing Val so much trouble...haha[/quote]

ooooo BC, you shouldn't have laughed at Valkrist.
Haven't you ever heard of Karma...in this case karma, Weta-style?

Next time it will be Valkrist who succeeds first time and YOU who can't get through! :D

Well, looks like Weta is indeed going ahead with a Barad-dur sculpture. I love my Danbury Mint version, but I'm curious to see how this one will measure up. I didn't think I would be interested in the Weta version, but it seems like they're going to make it to scale with Orthanc. If that's the case, I may just change my mind. Here is a teaser photo they've released:

This Space for Rent

Rev, I know what you mean. :(

I didn't get the Argonath, telling myself I should be happy enough with the DVD bookends that came with the EE releases. However, I now regret that decision. Money and common sense are really warring within me where these sculptures are concerned. So far, I'm resisting the urge to get Bag End, but I've completely caved on Orthanc and Rivendell because I've always wanted them. One other I know I will get for sure if it gets made is Minas Morgul. As for Barad-dur and Minas Tirith, I have the Danbury versions, but those nasty folks at Weta are working hard to convince me to part with my money. Doesn't get any more dastardly than that! :huh:
This Space for Rent

[quote=""RevAnakin""]The one thing I will always kick myself for is not buying the Argonath. That is probably one of my favorite scenes from all the movies. If I find someone with one, I shall hunt them until they let me buy it![/quote]

Ditto on the Argonath, Rev.
I may even have to bid against you if it ever turns up on ebay.

[quote=""Fingolfin""]Yeah I may actually get Barad-dur down the road. There's no way I'd be able to afford it right now, look at the size of that beast! My guess is this will be the last one for this year. After this, we'll probably see Grond.[/quote]

Fin, what happened to having "no negativity" in your collection?
Barad-dur is about as negative as you can get.

No way it's ever going to be in MY collection.

[quote=""Valkrist""]But Deimos, you list a Morgul Lord statue in your collection list. Isn't that a contradiction to your statement to Fin?[/quote]

uhhhh…yeah, Val…..hmmm….yeah … :embarasse (lemme think here)….ummm..…

OK! I have it!

Yes, the Morgul Lord is pretty negative (understatement of the year).

But the way I have him set up is that he is facing off against Dernhelm whom I also have, and she has her sword drawn.
It is right before Merry stabs him and before she plunges her sword into his head (or whatever is there inside the helm).

So his demise is imminent.
His negativity is about to be ….ummm.. .neutralized!

So the whole Diorama (btw, thanks to whomever it is on the Forum that initially did the Dernhelm - Morgul Lord diorama, which I copied) is really surrounded by very a positive and even courageous aura.
Meaning no negativity can escape and contaminate my good-guy positive collection. :)

Return to “Weta Workshop”