And the holidays begin....

To all our US members, Happy Thanksgiving! If you're traveling, do so safely. Don't eat too much--you'll regret it later. And as you sit down to your holiday meal, take a moment to remember all the people in this world that don't have enough to eat, or a roof over their heads. And whatever you do, don't watch too much football! (To me, any is too much, but that's me). Get out, go for a walk in the woods or something, weather permitting, and enjoy the final days of autumn. And if you haven't finished Christmas shopping yet and are going out on Friday, you probably ought to draw up plans on how to get through mobs that make those in War of the Worlds look small.

To all our Canadian members, oops, sorry, I forgot to wish you Happy Thanksgiving last month (on our ill-named Columbus Day). I assume your day isn't considered the start of the Christmas mad season, since it's over two months away?

And to the rest of our members around this planet, holiday or not, be safe, be happy, and thanks for making this forum an interesting and entertaining place to be!
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Re: And the holidays begin....

Jason GSux wrote:^ You'll probably just get a pair of sox. Btw, I hope you started saving $$$ for a Christmas present for your Croatian buddy. I know he'd feel awful if you'd spend too much money. Therefore, I believe just a regular Uruk-Hai Scimitar will be enough.[/COLOR]
Lol.
Sorry but I've spent all my money for other people's presents already ;) I'll buy you something when I see you next year :) I have got all the money for my Witchking War Helm though, so I'll be ordering that sometime in the not so distant future, though probably after Xmas :(

Well, here we are already, Christmas only a few days away. In the morning I am driving to southern Illinois to spend the weekend with my family. I will still be around the boards, albeit by creeping dial-up.

So allow me this opportunity to wish everyone Merry Christmas! May you find all your sought-after gifts under the tree, but more importantly, cherish the day and the time you spend with your family. Christmas is a special day that comes but once a year, so savor it. A great deal of what I get from Christmas these days is not the gifts, but the memories--past Christmases, loved ones who are gone, special moments.

I'm rambling a bit because it's rather late here, so I'll just say again, Merry Christmas, safe journey to all who are traveling, and in the timeless words of Tiny Tim, "God bless us, every one!"

I'd like to say Merry Christmas too :)
Christmas is a really great time of year. It's amazing that people get so excited about someone else's birthday! But what the hey, everyone loves giving and receiving gifts. I'm particularly happy this year with the presents I've bought for my family. I've got a good mixture of functionality and panache going on this year, and I know everyone will be pleased with their gifts. Now all that remains to be seen is if I like all mine :lol_blue:

So, Merry Christmas UCF! I hope you all get what you deserve ;)

I really did mean that in the nicest way possible, even though it doesn't read that way... :(
I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a very Merry Christmas, Foe Hammer. I'm glad you're feeling a little bit better though, and hope you make a swift recovery :) Not much of a consolation for no doubt feeling miserable, but I'm sure MC Glamdring at least makes you smile when you look at it :)

And the holidays end....

I spent the bulk of the day taking down my Christmas tree and putting away decorations. It took me 4 hours to take down that tree--can you believe that? Then getting things packed away, and vacuuming up all the mess...it often seems like a big price to pay for having a Christmas tree. Every year I inch closer to not putting the tree up, but I haven't reached that level of Grinchitude yet.

I get rather depressed every year as the holidays draw to an end. I always take 2 weeks off work, and the approach of the New Year signals the end of my blissful vacation. This year, at least, I don't have to go back until Tuesday--because the holiday falls on Sunday, which we'd have off anyway, we get Monday off. So however somber my mood is at the moment, it will be worse about 48 hours from now. ;) However, I had an enjoyable time off work, while it lasted. I had a pleasant Christmas with my family and friends, some fun last-minute shopping in St. Louis, a lot of quality time with my cats, and some time to watch new DVDs, read a bit, and do some little projects that have been waiting on me. I still have about 8 new DVDs to watch, but since there's very little coming out in the next two months that I plan to buy, I'm confident I'll catch up.

2006 is just 6 hours away from where I sit. It's already here for some of you. May it be a year filled with joy, laughter, warmth, good health, and comfort for us all.

Happy Thanksgiving!

As another year winds to a close, we pause to be thankful for the blessings we received, and that we survived the hurdles that came our way. Here in the US, this is marked on the fourth Thursday of November by our national Thanksgiving holiday. Our Canadian friends observe their own Thanksgiving on, I believe, the same day in October that Americans call Columbus Day. And I'm sure many cultures set aside time to reflect and be thankful.

In context now, I am thankful that we still have our little corner of the Internet here, where we can talk about our favorite collectibles, movies, books, you name it. I am thankful that this site seems to mean a lot to its members, and speaking for all the owners if I may, it's for you that we keep this place running (and yeah, for ourselves too. ;) ) I am thankful our site is back up after a few days of glitching, too! I am thankful that we are again journeying to Middle-earth in just under a month now.

For those of us about to celebrate Thanksgiving in two days, my best wishes for a great holiday...just don't eat too much! If anyone's interested, here's my favorite pumpkin pie recipe. As some of you may recall, I'm vegan, so I have to make my own pie in order to have one without eggs or dairy. This recipe was in one of our local papers a number of years ago, and it's the best vegan pumpkin pie recipe I've ever used. You don't even have to be vegan to like it! (though if memory serves, we have at least one other vegan member here).

[font=&quot]12 oz firm silken tofu[/font]
[font=&quot]8 oz soy cream cheese[/font]
[font=&quot]1 c canned pumpkin[/font]
[font=&quot]1 c sugar[/font]
[font=&quot]3 T (at least) flour[/font]
[font=&quot]1/2 t ginger[/font]
[font=&quot]1/2 t nutmeg[/font]
[font=&quot]1-1/2 t cinnamon[/font]
[font=&quot]⅛ t salt[/font]
[font=&quot]1/4 t baking soda[/font]
[font=&quot]1 pre-made 9" pie crust[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]Preheat oven to 350 deg F.[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]Puree all ingredients except pie crust in a food processor until smooth. Pour into the crust. Bake at 350 deg F for at least 50 minutes, or until it puffs to within 1" of the center, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out relatively clean.[/font]
[font=&quot] [/font]
[font=&quot]Allow to cool completely before containerizing or else steam will make the crust edge soggy. When cool, put in a pie container or cover the surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 6 hours prior to serving.[/font]

Bon appetit!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I had two dinners today, one with my family and one with my girlfriend's family, so I had to hold back on the portions big time or I'd never make it! :D Very thankful for a (thus far) successful semester at college, a wonderful family and of course my wonderful corners of the internet. :coolsmile
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Happy Late Thanksgiving. Yesterday was pretty rough for me :( Woke up to run the "Turkey Trot 5K"... started off fine, within the first mile, I started to get cramps in my calves, then got ankle and shin pain. Ended up running my slowest 5k ever, by over 4 minutes. Came home, started running fever... It just wasnt my day at all. Luckily, so far today, I am feeling a lot better.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Glad to hear you're on the mend! In quite the opposite fashion, I have been slowly destroying my body with consumption this week...I turned 21 on Monday and have been taking in a seemingly constant gift train of booze and thanksgiving desserts. xP

Fingolfin wrote:Glad to hear you're on the mend! In quite the opposite fashion, I have been slowly destroying my body with consumption this week...I turned 21 on Monday and have been taking in a seemingly constant gift train of booze and thanksgiving desserts. xP
Congratulations, FIn.
Do you realize that you will now be able to [legally] raise a pint (it comes in pints, you know) to "The Professor" on 3 January? :cheers:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Fingolfin wrote:Glad to hear you're on the mend! In quite the opposite fashion, I have been slowly destroying my body with consumption this week...I turned 21 on Monday and have been taking in a seemingly constant gift train of booze and thanksgiving desserts. xP
Woow than you were 15 when you've joined this forum. :thumbs_up

Dark Shadow wrote:
Woow than you were 15 when you've joined this forum. :thumbs_up
Even scarier than that, think of how young he was when the LOTR movies came out :shock:
This Space for Rent

Hah, yeah part of the mystique of LotR was the fact that I was super small when they were big and it seemed very "high fantasy" to my 8 or 9 year old self. :O

Thank you all for the well wishes, and yes, I'll be raising a pint on January 3rd! :viking:

Olorin wrote:BC, I didn't know you ran! I hope you do you stretches first!
I "run." I do 5Ks and would like to move to the 10k. Running wasnt my thing, being overweight the majority of my life. I dont do them competitively so to speak. I will never be getting 1st place in my age group, etc... I compete with myself and just try to improve my times. This past week just wasn't my day.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Deimos wrote:Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! :cheering: :cheers:
Happy Thanksgiving! May your house be full of family or friends and your table laden with wonderful food. :inlove:

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote:Happy Thanksgiving! May your house be full of family or friends and your table laden with wonderful food. :inlove:
I just thought of something...
If Hobbits celebrated Thanksgiving it wouldn't look a whole lot different than any other meal they have.
They always have a houseful of family and friends and their tables are always laden with wonderful food. :laugh:
(Bilbo and Frodo were somewhat eccentric in that they were more 'loners')

Um, does anyone know who this Fingolfin guy is?

I mean, he just shows up out of nowhere and thinks we all know who he is, like he's FAMILY or something.

Well DOH! I 'm here to tell this wayward Noldor that....he IS FAMILY! :cheering:

Hey FIn, good to hear from you for the next few days, until you duck back into the books for finals.

Wayward Noldor indeed! :laugh: Just a tired Elf, looking to regain his identity after a tiring journey. :horseback

You know exactly how it goes; I had what amounted to five weeks of midterms and now finals will consume my life. Here goes nothing. xP

Dusting off this venerable 12-year-old thread to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! I’m visiting family in southern Illinois, where it’s going to be sunny and in the 60s, too warm for this time of year, but a beautiful holiday weekend nonetheless. We’ll take some sort of drive through the countryside tomorrow and a shopping trip to St. Louis on Saturday, but today is going to be all about eating (and being thankful for ha omg survived another year).

Buckeye wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:31 am Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, from sunny 50s Virginia,
I see your 50 and I'll raise it by 38 ... to 88 in Phoenix (darn near a record ...think I'll take dip in the pool....)
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all.
(And what I'm really going to do is go for a walk or bike ride).

Return to “Announcements”